Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I just placed an order for my Grizzly 870. Should be here in around a week. I really can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Jack Ketch posted:

I was just wondering, if I'm making a purchase from a retailer whom I've never done business with, do I need to fax a copy of my PAL to them or can I just give the number over the phone/email? I figure I'll have to fax a copy but I am unsure.

It's basically up to the store. I've had to do both. I just bought a shotgun from Demal Services and they just needed my number. When I got my first gun from Ellwood Epps they asked me to fax a copy.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Flanker posted:

So who's free in July? You're taking me shooting. All of you.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/03/26/via-dnd.html?ref=rss

We should seriously get a July meet going. I'd be in for traveling basically anywhere across Canada for a weekend of shooting fun. We just need a good location to go to.

If anyone is down for that send me an email at taylorjwyatt@gmail.com

We should get some ideas rolling.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'd be more than willing to trek out to Vancouver. I think this could really be awesome if we organize it properly. What's your range like Gtab? Would they allow visitors for a weekend?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Jesus, that makes me want to move out of Toronto right away.

I think the next step in this process is to pick a weekend that everyone is alright with. I'm basically free to go at anytime. I have a very flexible schedule.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good time to do this? Mid July seems good since it gives us a while to organize everything. Let's keep that ball rolling. It really is about time we had a big Canada wide meet.

Edit:

I think I might actually be getting ahead of myself. We should most likely do an interest check before we start planning a date, but mid July is a good a date to strive for as any.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Going into the woods or mountains to shoot would be really awesome.

I remember probably around 2 years ago someone on here posted some pictures of people shooting in the mountains. I forget who posted them or where they were taken, but god drat they made me jealous. I think they were shooting SVT-40's, but I could be wrong.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Caedus posted:

beaver_cheese: Come to think of it,if we can get planning on an actual Canadian goon meet going, I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

That would be great. It's a massive drive, but I figure if we make stops along the way to hang out with some other TFR guys and go shooting with them and if there is room pick them up for the rest of the trip, then it should work out pretty nicely.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'm expecting to get a Dominion Arms 870 in the mail tomorrow. I payed 325 shipped for it. I'll let you know how it handles. So far from what I've read they stand there own against the Remingtons. I've read some people have problems with the finish, but for a cheap range fun gun that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the chromed barrel. The VZ-58 is restricted with chrome and the VZ-58L is non-restricted with chrome. The VZ-858 is non restricted but with no chrome.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I loving hate living in Toronto. The best club I've found so far is Range Burlington and that's still a decent drive away. I'm still not a member anywhere because there isn't anything too close. I fully intend to join Range Burlington as soon as possible though.

This handgun ban petition is such bullshit. I got into a massive debate at a bar the other night. Luckily by the end of it I had pretty much everyone agreeing with me. At least my friends aren't retarded once they get some other opinions other than guns=death. Hopefully by me telling them, they'll correct the next person who says something retarded about guns.

Also does anyone know who has the cheapest deal on a 10/22? Is CGN my best bet? I need a good summer fun gun.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I ordered a Norinco M14 from Marstar today. The guy I spoke with said they were very very close to being sold out and that it's good that I ordered when I did. If anyone else is on the fence about ordering one I'd say go for it now while you still can.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

As a Torontonian reading poo poo like this makes my blood boil. How the gently caress does shutting down firing ranges have anything to do with gun violence? It's nonsense.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Oh it has. When he first started talking about the handgun petition I was telling everyone I could about how much of a load of poo poo it was. Convincing people to actually think about the gun issues in Toronto is a step in the right direction. Showing people how legal handguns have nothing to do with handgun violence in Toronto and that David Miller is full of poo poo is another.

Now that I know about this I'm going to be telling everyone again about this insanity.

Like Flanker said though the worst part is that there really isn't much we can do about it.

Edit:

I just realized that I used to be a member of one of the clubs mentioned when I was a kid. The Scarborough Rifle Club. I totally skimmed over the name. The funny part is, unless they've changed the rules, they only allow single shot 22 rifle and air rifle.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 26, 2008

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

They're selling shirts of that image on CGN.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Do you guys know who has the best deals on bulk .308/7.62x51 and any kind of bulk 12 gauge? I've got a little shooting trip planned with some friends. Hopefully once they get out and enjoy shooting some guns they'll get into it and we'll have a few more Canadian shooters.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Flanker posted:

Beaver Cheese: you close to the US border?

I live right in the middle of downtown Toronto unfortunately.

DrakeriderCa posted:

beaver_cheese: You can get bulk x51 almost anywhere in Canada right now. A big shipment of SA surplus came in. You're looking at around .50/round, so the 1260 round cases should run around $640. Bulk 12ga is cheapest at Canadian Tire, if they have it in, or the big box places like Wholesale Sports, Bass Pro, etc.

Yeah I was actually checking out your store for the x51. I'll most likely place an order pretty soon. Gotta feed that new M14, which should arrive on Thursday hopefully.

I've heard Canadian Tire has the best deals on 12 gauge, but living in downtown Toronto none of the stores carry it. I guess I'll make some calls and see who does.

Thanks for the info.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Cruster! posted:

Allright, my credit card shows a charge for $450 today!

When I called to confirm my order last week I was told they were doing a huge shipment of them today. Hopefully we'll get them by the end of the week. I can't wait.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Cruster! posted:

Well I am now the proud owner of a very greasy M14.

Time to bust out the simple green, I guess.

I just got home to a notice on my door that something's waiting for me at the post office.

When you use simple green do you use it on the stock as well as the metal? I've only done a small amount of cosmo removal and I just boiled it off. I have a feeling this thing's going to be covered in the stuff.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I picked up my M14 from the post office today and on the way home made a detour to the hardware store to get some Simple Green, as Cruster! reccommended. That stuff is magical. It made the cosmo removal so simple. I'm in love with this gun too. I can't wait to get it out to the range.

And to further put your mind at ease Cruster!, my bolt takes a little more effort than usual to move too.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Do you think $150 shipped is a good deal on this?

Savage Mark II Non accutrigger version. The scope and rings aren't included either.

I don't have anything in .22 yet and realized I need something to round out the collection. If you were deciding between that and a NIB base level 10/22 for $250 which would you buy?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I think for a first .22 I'm going to go against the grain and get the 10/22. I like the man barbie dress up game a little and I think semi auto will be more fun. The fact that the Savage doesn't have accutrigger is another thing against it. I can always find another used Savage down the line with accutrigger.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards 10/22.

Those Tula's look nice too, but I don't think I'd get that as my first 22. Down the line I can see picking one up for sure though. God I buy too many guns. I just got my M14 in the mail and I'm already thinking about 3 guns down the line.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Does anyone know who has surplus SA .308 in stock right now? I've called around to a bunch of stores and can't seem to find any.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

No dice. I called and they're actually out of stock. They just haven't updated the site.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

That's awesome. I'll make sure to pick up a case.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Happy Canada Day. Time to shoot some guns to honor our great country.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

drat that sounds awesome. 100 bucks down works for me.

Have you handled these guns? How do they feel? I'm seriously considering dropping the 100 down and then saving until these come out. I need a scary black .223 non restricted rifle.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I took 3 friends shooting this weekend at my grandparent's farm that is now owned by my cousin and her husband. They all loved it. I think I may have even gotten 2 of them interested in getting licenses.

The highlight of the weekend by far was getting to shoot my grandfathers old .22. That was the gun that I always wanted to shoot when I was a little kid going up to their farm but my parents wouldn't let me go anywhere near it. I think that was what made me want to get into shooting in the first place. The fact that it was an off limits activity. The best part was that my cousin saw how much I loved the gun and said I could have it. So not only did I have an awesome trip I got to salvage a gun that is really meaningful to me. I can't even remember what it is. It could be a lovely Cooey, but it'll still be the most valuable gun in my collection. I would have taken it home on the spot, but my cousin's husband needed it to kill a raccoon that's been ripping up their screened in porch. I should have it by the end of the month though.

We took a lot of pictures and I'll post them once I get them from my friends.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Oh yeah I have nothing against Cooeys. We were shooting my cousin's husband's Cooey single shot break barrel shotgun and having a blast. I just mean it could be a cheap 50 dollar gun but to me it's priceless.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I've got a Grizzly and I love it. I'm pretty sure the deal with the pistol grip is that it's ok to use and doesn't change the status. I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with having to change the stock with tools and the way the law is worded. I may be way off base. I remember reading that back when they first came out.

They're great guns and I'm sure you wont regret buying one. The only problem I've noticed is that the finish comes off pretty easily. Nothing major, but still a little annoying.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'm looking at a Savage Mk II BV with accutrigger on CGN for $275. 200 round count. Seems in almost mint condition. That includes delivery since we're both in Toronto and as much 22 ammo he has laying around. Does that seem like a good deal? I'm sure I can talk him down a bit. They seem to go for around 300 - 350 + tax and shipping in retail stores.

Would you go for it?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

That's good to hear. I've had an M44 sitting in my safe unused for a year now.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Jesus those are gross.

Holy gently caress. Calvin pissing. I wish I never saw that.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Well I do live in downtown Toronto, but I've seen my fair share. I just meant I wish that I'd never seen that engraved on a Glock.

I picked this up today.

Savage Mark II BV. I got a pretty nice deal on it. $250 without the scope or rings, but he included 1000 rounds of 22. He only fired around 100 rounds through it too. Basically brand new.

It seems really nice. The wood is nice and doesn't feel cheap like on a 10/22. I can't wait to try it. The guy I bought it from offered to take me to his range this Sunday to try his Tavor and his new AR. I've been looking for a range to join, so this could go really well. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 18, 2008

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I went to a range that I've been considering joining for a while now today. It's called Silverdale. Some of you may know about it. It's got like 6 ranges, max range is 200 yards with a gong. It was really awesome. I went with a guy I met on CGN of all places. He wasn't a weirdo or anything. I bought a gun from him and he offered to take me as a guest after I mentioned that I was looking to join.

I've pretty much decided I'm joining. Everyone was really friendly.

The best part of the day was shooting his Tavor. It's such a nice gun.

Here's a picture of me shooting the gong at 200 yards.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Excuse the boxers showing.

I couldn't get a good eye relief with the hearing protection I was using, but I still managed to hit the gong on most shots.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Downtown Toronto, West End. It's like an hour and a half to Silverdale, but it's worth it. I really fell in love with the range.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Haha, yeah it's not so bad. It's not great, but I have to tell myself it's not so bad so that I don't cry myself to sleep every night.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Millow posted:

Do they have a website? I found http://www.silverdalesports.ca/ but it doesn't work. Maybe this place is worth checking out.

http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/index.html

From my time there it seems like it's going to be a nice range to join. Everyone was friendly. Going in I was worried it was going to be filled with just old people shooting nothing but bench rest who would be unfriendly and just want to sight in their guns and leave. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone was talkative and would joke around. I compared my stock M14 to a guy's customized M14. I saw at least 3 guys with ARs doing rapid fire. We were doing rapid fire shots with the Tavor on the action range. A lot of younger people. It had a really good feeling to it.

The actual ranges were all well maintained. Everything was in good condition. There's a gun store on site that sells guns, ammo, cleaning supplies, basically everything you'd want in a gun store. Overhearing people talking in the store he can order in anything.

The woman behind the counter said that if you join now it will only be 100 bucks for the rest of the year. It's 225 for a full year.

Millow, what area do you live in?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I've looked into a couple. I think I checked those out.

I was looking at Range Burlington, which I think Flanker shoots at. It's actually closer than Silverdale, but I think it's smaller.

Send me an email. taylorjwyatt@gmail.com

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 26, 2008

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

If I were in your shoes I'd wait the 28 days and apply after you've actually turned 18 just to be on the safe side. I can almost guarantee you wont be seeing anything for months, but you don't want any reason for your application to be denied.

Better safe than sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Speaking of Canada Ammo, what do you guys think of those Norinco 1911s they're bringing in? They look pretty nice. I'm planning on buying one and sending it to Gunnar at Armco.

Is that a good idea for a first pistol?

In other news, today I picked up the first gun I ever shot. It was my Grandpa's gun. It's some sort of Browning 22. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow. I'm hoping you guys will be able to give me some background info on it.