Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

As much as Manitoba sucks for a lot of other things, I've found where I live to be pretty great as far as shooting goes. I've got an indoor handgun range just down the street at my old high school, and there's a nice outdoor range just 10km away. You can do pretty much anything there as long as it's safe and you clean up after yourself. Most everyone I've met has been really pleasant and have been a great help in making me not suck so much.

If there's any other Manitoba folk around here, CGN is having another big meet at the outdoor range I mentioned earlier on April 6th. It's generally a good time, and a lot of people show up with some neat toys. I think in the past there's been representatives from Prairie Gunworks and maybe Wolverine there to show off some of their gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Oh, I've got a question. Is it possible to get an old 12.6 POL converted to a PAL with 12.6 privileges? I kinda want to get a smaller pistol to see how it feels to shoot one of those, but not turning 18 until a few years ago I missed the boat on doing that the easy way. My stepdad still has his 12.6 so I'm pretty sure I can get pre '46 compact pistols through him, but he says he's pretty sure he only has his POL.

If my hare-brained scheme is possible, is there anything pre '46 worth looking at? I've always had my eye on the Beretta M1934s that seem to be going for relatively cheap on CGN.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 17, 2008

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Hey Drakerider, I saw in another thread that you said you worked in Customs, and I've got a question about that. When I ordered a 10/22 barrel and stock last year from a dude in Washington with express shipping, it got holed up in Customs for a goddamn month, and ever since then a lot more of my packages seem to get stuck there for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks while I pay for the privilege of having it torn apart. Have I been put on some sort of list that ensures that everything I get from the US waits a while extra to get ripped to poo poo? I have a foreign sounding name and all, too.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Sounds cool, and I might be up for it depending on where it is. Just to get the ball rolling, my outdoor range has been pretty cool for having events and action shooting sports and the like. There's a 200yd main range and a 100yd overflow for handguns and the like, as well as a trap range (Although I don't think it can be used at the same time as the overflow). The clubhouse has a grill and everything for cooking and the like, whenever it isn't stolen.

Downside is that it's by Winnipeg in Manitoba, so I dunno how many people would be willing to go there. Upside is that it's smack in the middle of the country, so no-one has to drive way the hell to the other end of Canada.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Chunderbucket posted:

Rifle transport question: Can I transport them on foot if it's in a locked case? I didn't think you could, but I was wandering around downtown moncton last night with my case (empty) and the cops just ignored it.

If it's non-restricted, as long as it's unloaded and locked/rendered inoperable, you're technically legally allowed to carry it around on foot without a case. A lockable, opaque case is only explicitly necessary with restricted firearms. That's not to say it's not a terrible idea, mind you.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh god. . . that would be so damned cool. I'm just envisioning some kind of crazy .44 Henry AR or FAL or AK or something. . . and it's getting me irrationally excited.

Too bad both of those are prohibited in Canada!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Gtab posted:

AR15s aren't prohibited in Canada. I just sold one to a Quebecer. I may buy another within a year if I get bored. They're extremely widespread.

Oh poo poo, didn't see the AR part. I just saw FAL and AK before getting depressed again while letting out a sigh.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Preorders are up for the Type 97. I managed to get 27th in line, but I would have been earlier if CanadaAmmo had actually updated their homepage to point to their new storefront instead of their old one. Grumble grumble.

Can't wait for December to roll by so Santa can drop off my new rifle and an 8.5" Grizzly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If im not going to have my proper PAL until October, would it be worth pre-ordering one of those Type 97s since they wont be here until December? I guess if something did come up I could sell my spot off in the line or something.

They ask for your PAL info when you order, so you may run into problems with that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

"No legitimate use for hunting."

gently caress you too, Dion.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

slidebite posted:

Not even hunting - sport shooting. Guess shooting paper with my AR or anything isn't sport - I must be a murderer in training. loving dolt. Who in the gently caress do they think they are to dictate what is/is not sport?

That's the thing that gets me. It's unbelievably loving insulting to imply that because I'm not a hunter or that I'm not in whatever narrow definition of "sport shooting" they come up with, I contribute to street crime and violence against women. No matter what other issues of theirs I may agree with, it's pretty goddamn difficult to get myself to vote for a party that implies that I'm a potential murderer.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

The National Post is reporting that kids are saying that it was an air gun, so we can only pray that that's the case. Maybe then they can focus on the fact that the kid was a psycho instead of HOLY poo poo GUNS.

Oh who am I kidding they'll probably try an airgun ban.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Is there a reason I shouldn't buy this.

http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=18&cat=3&page=1

A guy I know has had one for a while and he seems to love it, along with everyone else on CGN. Personally, I'm waiting for the 8.5" version to come out, since it would make for a handy bush gun without having to deal with ATC bullshit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Whats the ATC? The page says non restricted there. I am confused.

Authorization to Carry. You can't carry a big ol' non-restricted rifle when your hands are full with claim staking gear, so your options are limited in what you can carry. Carrying handguns requires yet another permit, but a short barreled shotgun sidesteps that issue nicely.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I didn't even know you could have a handgun outside a range. Or a restricted long arm.

I am confused.

In Canada you can get a carry permit if your job requires it, but the only two jobs I know of where they'll even consider approving you is security guard and prospector, and I do the latter (Well, did, and hope to do again this winter). Even then, it's a huge pain in the rear end where you have to tell where you're working and what the bear/wolf/moose/beaver threat in the area is and probably some other stuff before they'll approve you.

Don't confuse yourself about it if you're taking the safety course, because it's not something they're going to get anywhere close to touching on.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I love CanadaAmmo

I'm torn between this and the short-barreled Grizzly that's coming out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

beaver_cheese posted:

Looks like Canada Ammo has some of their new 09 lineup for preorder on their website.

http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=57&cat=0&page=1

I'm kind of wary about these considering the reputation that the Norinco coach guns have. Although the thought of a nice short double barrel shotgun really makes me want to go pretend I'm in Doom 2.

I was all set on preordering the Outlaw until the CanadaAmmo guy started asking what barrel length people would prefer if he started importing Winchester 1887 clones. Whenever I'm all set on purchasing a shotgun from them, they have to come out with something cooler.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Beautiful Princess posted:

I live in winnipeg, manitoba and I have been interested in getting my PAL but I don't know anything about ranges or gun clubs or really anything at all having never really fired a gun. If there is anyone local who could offer me some advice that would be really appreciated.

I'm about a 15 minute drive from Winnipeg, so if that's not too far away, I'd be glad to lend a hand. I notice a lot of people from Winnipeg come here to shoot because all the ranges in town have waaay lower range dues than the places in the city.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

DrakeriderCa posted:

Did anyone else with a T97 pre-order get another update email today? I think that's 3 that I've had since I put the order in. Now I'm at "Processed".

A lot of people were stuck at queued and weren't charged the $100 deposit for some reason, so the CanAm guys got around to fixing that this week. I was one of the first people who ordered and wasn't charged until yesterday, so I hope I'm still one of the first guys lined up to get a rifle. If I have to wait for a second batch, I'm gonna be hella pissed.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Blistex posted:

Anyways when are we going to have a real Cabelas store in the country? I need me some realtree sleep and cookware stat!

They've had one here in Winnipeg for a while after they bought out Sidney I. Robinson; they even renovated the store to put in all the display animals and everything. There's also been some word floating around that they're going to open another store in town when the new Ikea rolls in.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Daaamn, those SKSes look pretty sweet; I think I should pick one up after my T97 comes in (Which shouldn't be too long, since they seem to be going through customs as we speak). Does Milarm ship out firearms?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Cypress posted:

I didn't get it yet

Neither did I. I have a feeling that despite being one of the first to order, I'm way back in the queue because they didn't charge me for the deposit until only a few weeks ago.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

And the answer is...? I don't own a car, either.

As long as the firearm is in an opaque case and you have all the proper documentation on you, you can walk or bike or whatever to the range.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

LizardOfUnusualSize posted:

Any Manitoba shootin goons? I want to pick up a semi-auto .22 pistol since I'm stuck in Winnipeg this summer, and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the various ranges in the area. Also, if anybody's got a buckmark or ruger pistol that they'd be willing to let me try if i brought some ammo that would be awesome. I've got tons of .22 kicking around.

What's up. A lot of people come to the range in my town, which is just a fifteen minute drive from the city. Everything in and around Winnipeg has pretty high range dues compared to here, and I don't think they're lax enough to let in guests. Hit me up and we can head out sometime; I don't have much, but I've got a few .22 pistols and rifles kicking around.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Having a gun show and an anime convention in the same building is the most awkward and/or hilarious thing.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Just started getting into shooting again, and just found out that the T97 I preordered at Canada Ammo back in 2008 is finally going to become available soon. Even more surprising is that they were able to pull up my $100 deposit without any fuss, which I was worried about since that was a few email addresses ago and I had no records (Apparently I was order #27).

I'm not sure if I really want a tactilol rifle anymore, so the guy at CanAm said I could transfer the deposit over to anything else on their site. I've been eying the 8.5" Grizzly as a bear/moose gun for when we're hiking/camping in northern Manitoba; is this a bad idea? I know that a high-calibre rifle is more suited to the task, but something smaller and less cumbersome would be nice to cut down on gear weight.

Edit: How about that, I've been wanting that 8.5" Grizzly for longer than I remember!

mewse posted:

Anyone from Winnipeg wanna do a road trip to wolverine supplies on sept 7?

According to their post to this thread they're gonna have a special on 7.62x39 ammo

poo poo, I wish I read this earlier. I've always wanted an SKS, but they were never nearly as cheap as they are these days, from what I can recall. Wherebouts do you shoot? The cheapest/nearest place to go was the Game & Fish up in Selkirk, but I'm not sure if things have changed in the couple of years I've been out of the hobby.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 12, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I was just actually thinking of getting the mag-fed Grizzly, since being able to load and unload it quickly would be a benefit on the deep wilderness portions of provincial/national parks. If I'm reading the rules correctly, it's prohibited to have a loaded firearm within 300m of any designated trail or use site, but "transporting" an unloaded non-restricted firearm is fine. If this is not permitted for any other reason, I'd like to hear it before doing anything illegal.

As for the short foregrip, this page has a pretty easy mod to mitigate thumb loss.

If the magazine thing doesn't pan out, I might just go with the tube-fed 12.5" one, if it's not too much more cumbersome in comparison.

Edit: We already do all of that other stuff on top of making tons of noise, but my girlfriend is terrified of bears, even though she knows the risk is minimal. It's honestly more of a peace of mind thing for her, especially for camping in more backwoods areas. And, hey, if she's telling me to get another gun, who am I to argue?

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Thanks for the advice on the shotgun, mates. Probably going to go with the 12.5" tube fed Grizzly, since it also seems easier to attach a sling to compared to the 8.5" one. I miiiiight still consider the 8.5" one since, as I said earlier, we already do all of the other, proper bear avoidance stuff. If it can keep my partner from freaking out at night in our tiny tent while I get something neat we can play with at the range, so much the better.

mewse posted:

I just got an SKS as my first rifle a month or two ago and I've only shot it once, out at the cabin. It turns out one of my friends is a big firearms guy and he goes to Selkirk. I was looking at that Xtreme indoor place in Transcona, which allows 7.62x39, but the prices look too high compared to Selkirk.

Yeah, the one in Selkirk was never very busy; we were usually the only ones there, so it was nice and relaxed. I stopped shooting a couple of years ago when I got robbed (Those gun lockers are poo poo in the event of a real robbery. Get a real safe or nothing at all, lesson learned), since I used the insurance money to move out of Selkirk and into Winnipeg.

We found my long guns at my parents' place when we were visiting, so we took them with us on an astronomy camping trip and she had a blast. I'm probably not going to go hog wild and start getting all the guns I couldn't afford before I moved to the city and got a decent paying job, but it'd be nice to get a decent non-rimfire rifle that's not a janky old Mosin. Looking at the price of the T97 elsewhere, I might just keep my preorder active at Canada Ammo, since if I get bored of it, it should be easy enough to flip it.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 12, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

That's the main reason I'm a bit reluctant to wait a bit longer for a cheaper T97 when I can just get something more useful right away. If there's no risk in the T97 becoming hard to find later elsewhere or CanAm jacking up the price, I'd rather wait and see how the first batch from CanAm goes before making the decision to pick one up. I mean, I've waited this long already, right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Is CanAm some sort of retailer?

There's a CanAm on the forums here who is a pretty stand up dude when he sells you something, in my experience, but he's in California.

I've been really confused reading this thread.

Canada Ammo.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Got the 12.5" Grizzly on all of your advice, so thanks again for the help. It only took a couple of days to arrive, but I just picked it up and I think the front bead is broken off.

This should be fairly trivial for any gunsmith to quickly fix, right? I'm thinking of just asking for a partial refund to cover the costs of having the broken bead removed and replaced. I just want to cut down on the hassle of going through an RMA procedure with Canada Ammo, so if getting it fixed locally is a simple process, I'd rather just do that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Gtab posted:

CanAm, at least from past experience, will absolutely not issue partial refunds. They WILL RMA your gun and replace ti with a brand new one, in my experience with friends who have purchased from them. I can't actually speak for the company, but that's how it went for my friends.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too mad about it, since it probably broke off at some point during transit. I found the bead, and the holes torn in the plastic bag from where the bead was probably being banged around on the train ride over here.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

How long does Marstar typically have their sales on for? That M305+CQ deal is mighty tempting, but I need to join a club before I can start purchasing restricted firearms again, which can take a few weeks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Got my replacement barrel from CanAm. I know other people have had issues, but their service was great for me. Sending in the old barrel and getting the new one took exactly a week, and all of their responses were very prompt.

Picked up a Magpul stock and fore-end while I was waiting, though. The adjustable LoP seems like it would be nice when shooting with other people, and I thought the furniture looked neato on a short barreled shotgun. The fore-end was a damned tight fit though, so I hope I never have to remove it.

I originally posted to find out how to spend my CanAm credit, but this weekend ordered that CQ-A/M305 combo, so drat you/thank you for that. Should be fun to get back into the hobby.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Where's the best place to order LAR-15 magazines? SFRC seems to have a decent price with shipping, but they don't have any couplers in stock.

Those .50 Beowulf magazines that Press Check Ventures has seem interesting, but from what I can gather there hasn't been any sort of official statement from the RCMP about them being kosher. I haven't seen too much info on them, since any talk of them is shut down over at CGN. Are they like the LAR-15 mags where they're more or less legit, or are they still in a bit of a grey area?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

The couplers aren't going to be a dealbreaker if no other places have them any cheaper. I was under the impression that the 10 round mags could be a bit of a pain to pull out since they're shorter, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

DrakeriderCa posted:

I don't see any reason why Beowulf mags are murky waters at all, when the RCMP has issued a letter in the past which says that using magazines made for the same model of firearm in a different caliber is okay.

If retailers start importing/manufacturing them en masse, I really hope we start to see 10 round .50 Beowulf pistol mags. Those exist, right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I've got another Marstar anecdote for you guys. The CQ-A and M305 combo deal was the last online order I've placed in a while, and on the way to the range this past Thursday, I get a call from Staples asking if I'm really the guy who ordered $6k worth of iPads for pickup in North York, ON. Spent half of my range time on the phone cancelling my credit card and starting the fraud investigation.

To be fair, it could have been from one of the other shittily-built firearms websites I had ordered from in the past month (Tetragon, Fabsports or The Shooting Edge), but those were from a month prior with no incident until the Marstar order.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

slidebite posted:

lovely. I'll keep my eye open on my statement. I bought it on a CC I rarely use, so if there is a fraudulent charge it would have almost certainly come from Marstar.

Fortunately Staples was on the case pretty drat quick. The attempted transaction happened after I paid for gas on the way to the range, which means they called me as soon as the fraudulent order was placed.

Do places typically have decent sales on ammo come Black Friday/Christmas? I've found a place locally that has Norinco .223 at $299/1120 and .308 for $399/1000, but it's still a bit of a drive. I'd like to avoid ordering online for now (Especially since I'm without a credit card at the moment), but I can wait and deal with it if a significant drop is just around the corner.

Edit: durr, got my websites mixed up. 1120, not 1600 for the .223.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

gently caress, sorry, meant to say $299/1120 for the .223.

I'll be getting it from Dominion Outdoors out of Winkler, MB. 125km drive from the city, but it'll still be cheaper than the shipping costs from elsewhere.