Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Gtab posted:

Also of interest is that the OP is a loving gaywad.

True story.

God I loving wish. Drake is a terrible waste of a perfectly good gay man.

If there aren't some good questions and Canadian de-lurks by tomorrow evening I will just start posting Gtab/Drake/Flanker/Mikerock/HPL/Slidebite/Blistex/Phlegmbot gay erotic fan fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Wisdom posted:

What am I up against if I drive across the border and I want to keep a firearm in my vehicle?

Seriously, just don't. Make your GF get a PAL and poo poo so you can play with guns on extended visits up here. Unless you're going to tag a deer there's pretty much no way to get a gun up here as an American.

We have prohibited, restricted and non restricted. Prohib is things like guns converted from full autos, pistols with barrels under 106mm, guns that politicians think are too scary looking etc. These are legal to own if you had them registered before the date they were deemed prohibited. So you still see them for sale but most shooters can't buy them. Restricted: Handguns and a few rifles like the AR. A rifle or shotgun can become restricted if the barrel and overall length get below some magic number. Non Restricted is the vast majority of rifles and shotguns, and even some cool stuff like black rifles that politicians weren't aware of when our current laws came in.

Make your GF get a PAL then give her $3K so you can play with an Israeli Tavor when you're in town. With ten round mags.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Nine Lives posted:

In all seriousness, is there a movement towards CCW in Canada? Is there an organization such as the NRA which pushes this at all?

canadacarry.org

RCMP watch list here I come!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Megapost out of nowhere! Nicely done.

I am unaware of any gun ranges that rent firearms in Ontario.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Fearless posted:

blackpowder stuff.

Yeah you need to post a lot more.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Flanker, do you have a suit that's pretty enough to wear to a wedding?

I have a nice tan one and a lovely black one. My uniform is growing a nice healthy rack of medals though...

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

helno posted:

The range I enjoyed most was the Eastern Ontario handgun club. It is out in the sticks near Cheney. There is also Stitsville fish and game. There is a military range that civilians can get memberships to but you need to bring a buddy for target pulling.

Shooting with Helno at EOHC was loving awesome.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Canuckistan posted:

This thread has inspired me to finally fill out my PAL application form and send it in. I did the exams over 5 years ago

Your name and avatar win my affection. Where are you?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

devilsbite posted:

Looks like I owe Walrusguy an apology, a Norinco M14 is a possibility...I just have to check the US import rules.

If you're planning on buying a norc M14 up here then taking home I would say good luck. Chinese guns can't cross the border, legally. If your Canadian family members buy you one for you to play with up here thats fine. But its staying up here. Sorry.

edit:

devilsbite posted:

Speaking of such; I wanted to compliment you on T.F.D. but didn't want to give you the wrong idea about me. If we get together in April for a shoot my rear end is off limits. ok, you can pinch it

wha?

Flanker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 20, 2008

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

Where's the gay pron already jeezus

it got hijacked by crazed nazis.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Cruster! posted:

Don't forget to pick up a Chinese SKS and a crate of Czech 7.62x39 while you're at it. It is required of all new Canadian shooters.

This is being phased out in favour of Norinco M14s and CZ 858s, although if anything, these rifles are making the SKS even cheaper due to less demand.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

So who's free in July? You're taking me shooting. All of you.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/03/26/via-dnd.html?ref=rss

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

That would have been me.

Edit:

This is where you're taking me in July.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Cypress posted:

By lack of responses, I'm guessing i'm the only Montreal goon in TFR?

That's kinda depressing since I was hoping to learn the ropes from someone. Oh well.

Yeah sorry, looks like you're a lone pioneer

Join a club and take your friends shooting and brainwash them into getting their own PALs. Worked for me!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Millow posted:

Can someone explain to me how mailorder works? I'm sure it's not as easy as the gun being delivered right to your house, and I think I want to order an SKS from SIR.

You buy a gun over the phone with your PAL and credit card. Restricted will require verification over the phone with your PAL via the firearms center. Then the gun is delivered right to your house. I prefer to have handguns mailed to me because then I don't need an ATT to pick it up. And yes, its that simple.

edit:

sedated posted:

she will not get her PAL or even go to the range any more because there are always bumpkins there attempting to help her with her stance.

That's YOUR job, you're failing. Touch the way I touched you when w- nevermind.

Flanker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 29, 2008

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

Hello epic drive of insanity. July is free train month for CF members, so I plan on hitting up can gun goons from here to van. Its going to rock.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

And where is "Here" for you? I was under the impression you were also from BC.

the Hammer, ontario. I am often teased for not being in the elite BC TFR gun jerk boat.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

Flanker: When are you planning on doing your cross-country trip?

July, if I'm not doing army stuff.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

Alright, well I'll definitely be back home by then, so consider this an official invitation for a stop in Thunder Bay.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

One of your parents should get a Canadian PAL. An unlicensed shooter can handle firearms under the supervision of a PAL holder. What's near you? Kingston? Look around for a licensed instructor. If you want to handle firearms while your parents are not around think about getting one as well. Also, SIG rifles.

Storage requirements make proper HD a little tricky. It's also legal gray area. Even something a rational state/country would see as a justifiable shooting could land you banned from gun ownership, broke, deported or in jail. This is Ontario, it's like California, NY or IL up here.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sadly enough, this IS considered female in Canada:

I'd hit it

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Gtab posted:

Probably the best post the EE has ever seen.

No, the guy who is trying to trade his H&K USP for a Walther or Sig is the bet post in the EE...

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Captain Novolin posted:

What all is needed for a minor to go shooting? I don't turn 18 for another year and I would like to try to learn the basics and find out if it's something I would like to do later on.

I think you need to be supervised by an adult with a PAL. There is somekind of junior PAL deal, I don't know anything about it. Tell us where you are and see if you can find someone nearby to take you shooting and then molest you. Uh, I mean...educate you. In a van. A van with curtains...

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DangerousMonkey posted:

Anyway, long story short there is no 7.62x54r ammo availible in Canada right now...
loving sucks.

How close are you to the border?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DrakeriderCa posted:

And how do you feel about felonies?

Importing ammo isn't a felony. I do it almost regularly. Prove me wrong

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Gtab posted:

It is on the American side, IIRC.

this is the CANADIAN thread

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Stockwell Day is a total dreamboat.

I want to pick him up and kiss him, that sexy creationist nutbar!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Mikerock, lurk the EE on CGN for a VZ58L, there aren't many but thats the one with the non restricted length and chromed barrel.

Other than that, I'd say wolverine.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

Thanks, retards.

:?:

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

There's a guy in Vancouver who has a 58L for $750. Includes all the parts, plus a scope mount. 500 rounds through. Local pickup so no shipping and no taxes. Sound like a good deal? The non-chromed ones at Wolverine are going for $650 new. Is there anything I should be looking for when I view the rifle?

BUY IT. It's probably gone already because you hesitated.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

MA-Horus posted:

Ouch.

BTW, anyone know of any ranges/good gun shops in DAS HAMMER (Hamilton)?

Flanker, you might be able to answer this best.

You're in the hammer? wtf?

BRRC.ca

Range Burlington is loving stellar. Almost 24/7 access, low fees, decent facilities. Be warned that 90% of shooters are anti social old people who need their remaining teeth punched out. Other than that its great.

Silverdale is out by Grimsby but its a great club, very relaxed, gun shop on the property, 200 yard outdoor.

Anybody in Kingston?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Swiss Army Knife posted:

*raises hand*

In the Newb thread you posted that you're not even 18 and have no PAL. Unless you have a farm where you can shoot my guns at my steel tango, YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO ME. Just kidding, you're probably pretty tight.

Seriously though, find somewhere I/we can shoot, get back to me by tomorrow afternoon. Go.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

Can't you (PAL holders) take under 18, non PAL holders shooting as long as you stay close enough to them that you can take the firearm away if they do something unsafe?

Yes, and I get to put it in their mouth, if they're bad. It's the law.

But Swiss Knife is the home team, he needs to find me a spot to shoot, likely private land since he can't take me to a gun club.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

Thanks for the advice Flanker

Get a Russian side rail installed and get yourself some sweet rear end AK optics on there.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Artem posted:

Army stuff

Get out of here, baby killer.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Artem posted:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea but where? Should we do it in TFR?

Keep it weapon/vehicle centric and you'll be fine in TFR. GBS or rear end/fell will turn it into a train wreck.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

Please help me with my scope question guys.

Shut up. Oh wait..

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-optics/images/VZ58-115-L.jpg

I am only aware of these being available for around 100 bux.

I ordered a side rail from kalinka optics in the US and got the local smith to install it so I could use side mounting russian optics. It was a pretty solid set up that I had to sell for food/blow up dolls.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

mikerock posted:

My rifle came with that. I am asking about actual scopes. Also, I don't buy from Marstar.

Why not? If they shred babies every day I need to know about it.

I am assuming you want either a red dot or long eye relief type. For red dot I highly recommend something from EOtech. The other type, you're on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Artem posted:

So, couple questions. Im really interested in the Norinco M14, but how expensive is the ammo gonna be? Also does anyone have any online resource to read old US Army manuals etc. on the M14? I want to learn their stoppage drills and it'd be generally a good resource on disassembly etc.

Google is your friend. Stoppage drills for most semi auto rifles are the same, just get used to the controls in different places.

762/308 sucks right now. It could be worse, but its not as cheap as 556 or 762x39mm. I mostly shoot at my indoor 50 yard club so wasting .308 made me feel bad so I downgraded to 556. If you have a nice outdoor area then you can get some proper M14 use at 200 meters +. Double if you're going to hunt with it.