Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003
hmm now were did I leave that plane

Flanker posted:

I am unaware of any gun ranges that rent firearms in Ontario.

RA centre in Ottawa doesnt rent guns per se but has an assortment of guns that can be used by members if they buy ammo from the club. Memebers do not need to have a PAL but it is an expensive club to join and has pretty lovely hours.

My current club has its ups and downs. Temmiskaming bullseye club
I just hope they don't poo poo themselves if I show up with my AR-15

Cons
-Took a long time to get an ATT
-had to wait for a member to die to get a key
-average members age is late 60's
-middle of nowhere northern ontario
-no action shooting sports
-Executive sucks the CFO's cock

Pros
-not a bunch of fudds as I expected
-dont have to shoot with the old guys
-range has no hours of operation (yay night shooting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

^^^^ the registry is a bit of a white elephant. High cost doesnt do much other than push paper around.

Caedus posted:

Where the heck is this? I'm in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario, and I'm looking for a place to shoot outdoors. I drive a sports car which doesn't lend itself to finding isolated areas of crown land/gravel pits. If it's within a reasonable distance of me I'd love to check it out.

That range is on twin lakes road off of highway 65 west of New Liskeard. Where abouts are you in northern Ontario?

helno fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 18, 2008

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Canada is a pretty vast wilderness. If you go far enough out no one will bother you. It is perfectly legal to walk around with a non-restricted rifle or shotgun with a pocket full of cartridges as long as it is legal to discharge firearms in that area.

One guy at my range has a wilderness protection carry permit so he walks around with a .357 when he prospects.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Just a bit far. Northern Ontario is huge. Its funny to see people from the south drag out there maps and then flip them over and think its not far between towns. Not realizing that the scale on the northern side is double.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Normal posted:

I'm just applying for the PAL now (passed the courses, both of 'em), but what other options are there for places to go to in Ottawa?

The range I enjoyed most was the Eastern Ontario handgun club. It is out in the sticks near Cheney. There is also Stitsville fish and game. There is a military range that civilians can get memberships to but you need to bring a buddy for target pulling.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Flanker posted:

Shooting with Helno at EOHC was loving awesome.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That takedown in vancouver surprised me. I remember waiting for a ride in a buddies apartment building entrance . Between us we had over ten rifles and pistols. Two cops walked by took one look at us and kept right on walking.

I had alot of people ask me if I was in a band when I took my AR-15 on public transit to the range.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I just realized that I will probly be living in a room and board type situation while I wait for housing with my new job. Do you think there would be a problem with storing my restricted firearms at my parents house (were I currently live) for a few months until I get things sorted out?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

mikerock posted:

Helno call the CFC

I got ahol of the cfos office and they are going to arrange some sort of temporary storage thing since my father has the same class of license as I do.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Phlegmbot posted:

does anybody know any gun clubs in the Port Elgin/Kincardine area?

I was going to ask the same thing. I take it you are heading there to work at the Bruce?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

How do I buy this thing.

http://www.baikalcanada.com/pistols_sport.htm

http://www.baikalcanada.com/partners.htm

Call up one of the partners for your province?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

How about their Tokarev 7.62 copy? I normally wouldnt consider it, but its only 200 bucks and they sell surplus ammo for it at around 10c/round, could be almost as good for plinking as the .22

I have one. It has a lovely trigger and poor accuracy but It goes bang everytime.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Voted Liberal. gently caress you guys.

Just kidding managed to get my change of address paperwork at the last minute so I was able to vote conservative. I don't even know the name of the guy in my riding.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The only comedy option on my ballot was a guy from the Christian heritage party.

Edit: CHP human being got 149 votes. Green party that wants to shutdown nuclear power plants got 500 votes in a riding that happens to contain one.

helno fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 15, 2008

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I just moved without a range membership and the ontario CFO's office didnt seem to care.

My father has not had a range membership in over a decade and has two handguns and has never heard any flak when renewing his PAL.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Gtab posted:

oh poo poo its helno

I've missed you dude. How are you? What've you been up to?

I have been good. Dont get to do much shooting but I get to see guns all the time at work.

I started at a Nuclear power plant and the NRT team takes there poo poo seriously. Oddly they are there not to protect the employees but to protect the plant.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

Cool. I've got a buddy that works on one of those teams. He says it's pretty loving badass. The only private security in Canada that carries FA firearms.

They seem well equipped to be badasses but they spend most of their 12 hour shifts looking at my badge and x-raying my hardhat.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Rental ranges are pretty rare in this country. You are better off to meet up with someone who can show you the ropes and let you try things out before you get started.

Taking guns on public transit is always fun. It would seem the case for my AR looks like a guitar case, people in Ottawa would ask me where I had been playing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The Steve's are talking on tv right now. Harper looks like he has lost a bit of weight.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Way to go GG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXfy6CfmBY

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Unless you want to spend alot of money those daisy airguns are pretty good.

Get a one pump single shot and go to town.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

mikerock posted:

Got 6 boxes of 7.62x25 for sale up on the EE

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295545

I havent been shooting enough of that stuff I still have over 1k rounds of it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Gtab posted:

Also their AR15s (used to?) have a habit of weird trigger part defects wherein after a few hundred rounds some wear would occur and the hammer would fall once on firing and once again on release of trigger, so you'd auto-doubletap. This is not legal. This is not safe. Goon helno had this happen and some guy in a lane next to me at PCDHFC was bragging to his friends about his Norinco AR's "awesome doubletaps" "like a machinegun" which led me to mention offhand that the cops would consider it an MG and he should maybe talk to a gunsmith.

Just to clarify my doubletap issue never happened with the stock norinco parts. I installed a different used hammer that would work with the .22 upper I used to have.

I fixed it by getting a new set of trigger parts and fitting them correctly.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Cypress posted:

I want a room in the house I'm a computer programmer, who's training to be a computer engineer, so I could... uhh... automated turret systems?

I am a control tech. i'll take care of the turrets.

If you can get me enough heavy water and uranium I can take care of heating and electricity as well.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The Architect posted:

Anybody venture a guess as to how M1 Carbine ammo prices are in Canada? Or Ontario?

Not good if you can find it. Anyone interested in a reloading press?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Cypress posted:

What brand out of curiosity?

If MohawkSatan falls through, and it's a decent price, I might pick it up.

Its a lee turret press with dies for .223 and .308 I havent used it in a few years. Come to think of it I still have powder, primers and bullets for 1000 rounds of .223

helno
Jun 19, 2003

In Ontario the CFO's office will not issue a long term ATT for you until you own a restricted firearm. Even then your loving club has to apply on your behalf and you can imagine how slow that process is.

I had my pistol for 3 months before I was able to take it to the range because of some paperwork fuckup that didn't get corrected until I asked what was taking so long. The range had received my ATT but stuck it in the wrong folder so they just assumed it was still processing when they couldn't find it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The Architect posted:

Also thanks to Helno and Mikerock for the insane deals.

No problem. You get a cheap SKS that I wasn't using and I get a new ball joint for my car.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The fallout on CGN when they realize they have been jacking off to a former man should be hilarious.

I havent been to that site in ages but I have been trolling around figuring out how much to list my Norinco AR for. I really hate how so many people remove the price after selling stuff.

Anyone want to buy an AR?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

johnnycanada posted:

How much?

I figure it's worth about $700 to me sitting in my workshop. Goon discount would be $650 shipped anywhere in Canada.

It's not the prettiest AR-15 with its unusual mixture of A1 metal with A2 plastics, but it is reliable and has fired everything I fed to it.

I would also include the cheap scope and three magazines. Oh and I would include the really nice soft case I bought for it.

The case is pretty nice but it will only fit a gun that separates into two pieces so its not much use to me any more. I used to ride a motorcycle with that thing strapped to my back to get to the range.

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-nylon/images/LP-PVC-MC42B-L.jpg

Edit: I was looking through my old pictures to find that picture and the last photos I took before my rather expensive camera was stolen was the first time I shot that AR. Flanker picked up a bunch of .223 so we could shoot in the middle of a blizzard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

helno fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 4, 2010

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Flanker posted:

That was fuckin good shoot.

It was pretty awesome. Barely being able to see the targets at 40 yards made things interesting.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I am no longer in Ottawa so I cant take them off your hands but I do know a few non-goon gun guys in Ottawa who would probably take care of them for you.

What range were you a member of in Ottawa you might already know these guys?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Someone looking to buy my Ar has requested more pictures. I think I'll just post them here.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

To those asking about having your long term ATT cancelled due to inactivity.

This turned out to be quite the long rant but it shows how dickheads at clubs in Ontario can dick you around via the ATT process.

THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME

The range I joined while attending school was full of old as the hills fudds. They were very happy to have a new member join as they had been having trouble getting and retaining new members. I paid my dues for the year and was told that I should not come to the range until my ATT came in (even to bring my non-restricted rifles). So I waited and waited and waited, I try to call the club secretary and leave several messages with him that are never returned.

Finally about 4 months after I joined the club I get a letter in the mail from the CFO's office.I'm thinking great its my ATT I can go shooting now. What it actually was was a letter stating that my ATT has been canceled due to inactivity. The fuckers actually called the CFO's office and canceled my ATT.

I was pretty pissed at this point so I head to the range at a regular meeting night. The secretary tells me he canceled my ATT because I never came out the range (the same range he told me not to come to until I had my ATT). He tells me he never got my phone messages. He tell's me I should have been coming to the range even though I cant bring any guns till I get the paperwork cleared. I politely explained to him that I was not really interested in hanging out with about 15 guys who were about 50 years older than me unless I was going to be shooting my firearms.

So this rear end in a top hat calls in and gets my ATT reinstated and actually gets it to me so I can use it. I started going to the range and shooting during the week but generally went out during the day and never went out during the club shooting times because it interfered with my classes. I always signed in on the attendance sheet. After about 4 months of shooting I get another cancellation notice from the CF`s office. This old gently caress called in and said I never show up again. I called him up and he tells me I never come out to shoot so I shouldn't have an ATT. He didn`t even look at the attendance sheet he went by the fact that he never saw me at the club shoot nights. I asked him to check the Attendance log and low and behold I had been out shooting more often infact than he had in the same time period.

So I had been a member for 8 months now and was able to shoot for about 3 months of that time because it took about a month each time dickhead canceled my ATT to get it reinstated. I asked for a refund since I had been hosed out of more than half a years shooting and was told that the best they could do was extend my Membership for an additional 4 months. I didn`t take them up on that offer as I moved away for a new job so I wouldn`t even be able to use it.

So I told that that I had a pretty good idea on why they had such a hard time retaining new members. I`ll let you guys resume talking about coffee.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The Architect posted:

Jesus Christ! gently caress those guys. What's the name of the range so I can avoid it?

It was the local range in New Liskeard Ontario. They have a very nice range but the people who take care of the restricted part are a bunch of assholes who take the idea that you need to be an active member of a club for an ATT to remain in effect.

Just to join I had problems. I filled out an application and gave the membership guy a check. He lost both. Luckily someone recognized me and flagged me down for him so he could get me to fill out new paperwork.

It`s really to bad as the club secretary was a pretty badass old guy who has one of the mythical wilderness carry permits (he carried a S&W in .357).

You coffee snobs would probably die if you drank what I like.

1 scoop of Nescafe instant coffee
1 scoop of chocolate milk powder
50% hot water
50% milk

If I want fancy coffee I make Lattes using my espresso machine which is made out of plastic. I like my latte with a shot of peanut butter syrup.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

slidebite posted:

Who's got a minty and dirt cheap NorincoM4 and M14 for sale before I order one from Marstar?

I've still got the cheap norinco Ar-15 for sale but it is not an m4 unfortunately. You could always put a name brand upper on it if you want a decent m4 at a low cost.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I finally sold my AR. I had a lot of low ball offers. The person who finaly bought it offered me a Norinco M14 and then told me they only had $575. He actually said I only have $575 not "would you take $575". So I said wait two weeks and if you cant get the difference you probably should not be buying restricted firearms.

Two weeks later I get an email saying he will take it for my asking price.
I called in the transfer yesterday and the guy emailed me saying it is done which seems way to fast for a restricted transfer.

I have to call in again anyways to apply for an ATT to ship it so I guess I can confirm the transfer then.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I just called in and confirmed my transfer today. Then I spent 1.5 hours on hold waiting to get an ATT to take it to the post office. I gave up after 1.5 hours. It took less time for the nova scotia CFO to approve the restricted transfer.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That sucks. I am in training for the next few weeks.

I hate calling places like that from the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Just thought I would share this. The guys who X-ray my lunchbox on my way into work have for the third year in a row taken first place at the national swat competition.

http://www.nationalswatchampionships.com/results.php

Looks like GSG9 got tired of being beaten and did`t even show up this year.