Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Flanker posted:

God I loving wish. Drake is a terrible waste of a perfectly good gay man.

If there aren't some good questions and Canadian de-lurks by tomorrow evening I will just start posting Gtab/Drake/Flanker/Mikerock/HPL/Slidebite/Blistex/Phlegmbot gay erotic fan fiction.

Sweet Jesus.

Thank you for the links, they're very useful. I mostly do black powder shooting and coach a cadet marksmanship team here in the armpit of Canadian civilization (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). It's not so bad, actually. When I'm home I can sit on the deck and shoot things while burning a meal to cinders on the barbeque.

I've got an India Pattern Brown Bess in .75 with a couple of bayonets (one of them is original) a Pedersoli frontier rifle in .50 and a Thompson/Center Hawken in .50. I'll post pics later tonight when I get back from a grocery run.

Edit: I'd like to suggest the addition of http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/ to the OP. They cater to reenactors and the history dork in all of us. They're just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia and the owner Blair is very friendly. Great folks, and I'm pleased with the gun I have from them. Also, they stand by the parts in their guns which are sold with vents pre-drilled and tested, unlike some other merchants elsewhere in Canada.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Very cool. I'm not a blackpowder burner myself, but good for you for polluting the poo poo out the air.

Also, good job on being a cadet marksmanship coach. I was an Army Cadet myself, went to Bisley and finally worked two summers as a CI rifle coach at Connaught. It's what really got me into target shooting, and I'm glad there are people around that are still working to kindle that interest with young people.

I work with Sea Cadets, awesome work for going to Bisley... that takes real talent. My team's not particularly competitive as we have loads of other competitions going on at the same time as marksmanship so I coach simply out of the love of shooting and a desire to encourage that, not because I'm good at it. I brought in one of my rifles for the cadets to look at too. They'd all fired air rifles for competition and .22s for biathlon, but none had ever held a flintlock before, and they really enjoyed seeing how far we've come. They also really liked the baggies of musket and minie balls they were given to take home too.

The cadet program is getting a massive overhaul in the next couple of years, and on the Sea side of things marksmanship is getting some TLC. It makes me giggly. More importantly, we're retaining the lovely 12 pounder guns used for gun runs and ceremonies for our training.

Anyways, here is my humble collection of smoke-belching, shoulder-crushing toys:

First up, the India pattern Brown Bess (3rd model) in .75 cal, from Loyalist Arms, Harrietsfield, Nova Scotia. The original Imperialism projector, it was a birthday present from my parents.

The lock on the Bess is a massive, heavy brute of a machine. The flint is wider than my thumb and the mainspring has some real power behind it. It sparks beautifully, however. Recoil is more of a shove than a kick, but the combination of the musket's great weight and the murderous power of a full load of powder can still leave bruises after long bouts of shooting. Not that I mind.

Please pardon the hackneyed use of a bayonet to prop the musket up, but none of my pencils or pens were long or strong enough for the job. The bayonet filling the support role is an original, though sadly it is so badly corroded that it does not display any markings or ciphers to let me determine its age. Given that the Bess was used by the British until the 1840s, I think that 160-170 years of age is not out of line. Oh, here's a better picture of it:

Next up, a Davide Pedersoli Frontier rifled carbine in .50 cal. Black powder enthusiasts are increasingly spoiled by the offerings of quality manufacturers Thompson, Traditions, etc. Pedersoli used to be regarded as the best of the bunch, but the reputation has slipped somewhat in the face of strong, quality competition from American makers. Still, short of going to a custom smith for a flintlock that costs more than my graduate tuition, Pedersoli's as good as you're likely to get. I got this lovely piece from Track of the Wolf's website for a song. This is the first gun I ever bought myself, so there's some sentimental value. Its double triggers allow a marksman to set either a stiff trigger for hunting or a very light one for targets. I mean REALLY light. Look at this thing funny and it goes off. Even so, it's elegant, accurate, well balanced, reliable and a true joy to shoot.

Note the size difference between the lock on the Bess and that on this rifle. The little screw between the triggers allows one to alter the tension on the forward, firing trigger and also switch between match and hunting settings.

This happy little character is a somewhat anachronistic piece of Americana. It's a Thompson/Center Hawken rifle in .50 cal. The original Hawkens were staples of the Western frontier and feature prominently in the movie Jeremiah Johnson. They were also percussion cap rifles, whereas this one is a flintlock. Whoops. This rifle came from the estate of my former Latin tutor, who was a remarkable man to say the least. He completed a full tour in the RAF Bomber Command before going into military intelligence, mostly due to the fact that he spoke at least five languages. He was one of the first Western Allies to reach Dachau and was seconded as a liason to Marshal Zhukov's staff at the end of the war. Upon the cessation of hostilities, he travelled around the world with his wife (a genius in her own right) earned a PhD or two and settled in rural Nova Scotia to raise his family. Upon retirement, he tended a sheep station, indulged in carpentry, built crossbows and taught me and passed away April 25th 2006. Requiescat in pace magister. I have since concluded that the odds of me living a life as full as his are slim to none.

My apologies, I digress... back to the rifle:

Much like the Pedersoli, this rifle features double triggers. It's set for match shooting too, though the trigger has a much more fluid feel to it. It shoots differently than the other rifle and it's had a bit of a learning curve to it, but I've really warmed up to it. It's exceptionally fun to shoot and a joy to clean. However, the brass trigger guard has been something of a prick to deal with as it can hinder the rear trigger from setting if bent. This has been the source of much growling and foul language.

Anyways, those are my boom toys. I want to get a Baker rifle and maybe a Martini-Henry to round out my collection of British small arms. Oh, and I'm building an arquebus as a present for my thesis advisor.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Flanker posted:

Yeah you need to post a lot more.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, I agree with Flanker. You need to spend more time in here, in my opinion. I'm glad to hear that someone like you is working with the Cadets. Sounds like you've got your head in it for the right reason.

Maybe you should start up an old-timey blackpowder thread. You've certainly got the knowledge and experience necessary. I'm sure there are other Grizzly Adams in TFR.

Thank you both very much. I might start up a BP thread and share what I've learned from this forum and others. Also, I'm fighting the urge to purchase a new gun (I'm eying one of the carbines for sale at Loyalist). Now that's a thread idea: "I WILL buy a gun... but which one?"

I'm working on an MA in Military History at the moment and one of the things I've grown to appreciate about this hobby is the insight it has granted me towards understanding the life and times of an infantryman in the pre-industrial world. Historians tend to learn by reading rather than doing, so I sometimes chuckle when I hear assumptions made about musketry that are based on what a student has read from a source that never fired a musket. These flintlocks are fun but cantankerous pieces and an understanding of their use has gradually faded from the minds of all but a few, and to hear some people you'd think there was no difference between them and later breech loading small arms.

One of these days I'll finish my PAL paperwork and maybe take the restricted course. I'm not much of a handgun type, but damned if Hi-Powers aren't loveliest pistols out there.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 18, 2008

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Canuckistan posted:

This thread has inspired me to finally fill out my PAL application form and send it in. I did the exams over 5 years ago

I did my exams in 1996. I'm doing the paperwork for the PAL now too.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HPL posted:

No, my wish would be Dion, Layton, Duceppe and Harper all spontaneously combusting and being replaced with sensible people.

Sadly, Duceppe is the most sane and rational of the bunch. Dion and Harper have the collective charisma of fecal matter and political attitudes (to me at least) to match. Then there's ol' Jack....

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I still think the Coalition should give the GG a stern talking-to.
She expressed interest in talking to both parties before making a proroguement decision but ended up calling it after two hours with Harper.

I was disappointed that she didn't hear them out, but she doesn't really have to, does she? I mean, the only person whose council she's required to hear is the PM's, isn't it?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Flanker posted:

What guns do you own/plan on owning and why? I mostly like handguns. My range is primarily a pistol range. Costs of a new pistol, ammo, is normally lower than most rifles, well most good rifles anyway.

Have you moved forward with your Canada legal, Bond-style PPK yet?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bhurak posted:

Sorry to derail the otherwise enlightening ranting, but here is a question.

I want to get my .54 muzzle loader up and running. In the past it was at my fathers and he has all the gear, but I want my own. I can't for the life of me find a patch cutter or a bullet lubricator. Penetration is always better with lube...

Anyone have an idea where to find either?

Both can be found at Track of the Wolf, which has just about everything you could possibly need for the gentle art of muzzleloading. They can be found here:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com

I've used them and will continue to do so. The service is great and efficient.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Ah gently caress. Here comes the ruination of the Christmas season.

Only if you let it. This Christmas I am going home to the wilds of Nova Scotia and shooting until I run out of powder. The holidays can't possibly be bad!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My restricted PAL is on its way and when it arrives I intend to bring home a couple of old rifles (an old Savage 340A in 30-30 and a tiny but adorable Belgian .22) that Dad's been holding on to for me. I'm really interested in getting an AR of some stripe, and to this end I've joined a local gun club and bought a gun safe which is now securely bolted to the floor in a quiet area of my home.

What I'd like is some advice on what to get. My budget is around $1100. I've been eyeing the S&W M&P 15 Sport that is on sale for $870 at a local gun store, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, what optics are recommended for a novice AR shooter?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

S&W makes a good AR. I won't hesitate to recommend them. But I can also say that I have no concerns recommending Norinco AR's. Their quality now is excellent and they're still the cheapest AR you can buy by a significant margin.

The first sight I'd recommend are your iron sights. Seriously, get comfortable with them before you get fancy with optics. Once you're ready for a red dot though, the TRS-25 and the Vortex Strikefire are both highly recommended. If you want something more expensive, there are even more options.

Thank you for the advice. I've been wondering about the quality of Norinco rifles, I admit that when I last checked they were not terribly well regarded. I also appreciate the optics advice as well... most of my shooting has been traditional black powder, and I know next to nothing about the subject.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MohawkSatan posted:

mewse, I'm assuming you're waiting for your RPAL to come in right now. About how long have you been waiting?

I filed for mine in mid-November. I've done my interview, and so has one of my references but who knows about the second one.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

New Brunswick seems to be fairly middle of the road as far as our CFO goes, though apparently the new one has decided that rather than issue a million ATTs for each firearm so people can travel to different ranges, one ATT will be issued that automatically covers all ranges in the province. Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Edit: I just found out that my RPAL application has been processed and my license was mailed out earlier this week. Hurray!

Fearless fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nordic marksman. They aren't cheap. Most biathlon clubs I've heard of will have club rifles, so you won't have to buy your own off the bat.

Biathlon is awesome, by the way. Some of the most fun I've had.

The sea cadet corps I work with is extremely active in biathlon; our girl's team is a perennial fixture at the provincial competition (and are all scary good shots too) and occasionally makes the national competition as well.

The cadets themselves generally believe that skiing around and shooting drop targets is a better use of a Sunday afternoon than hanging out at the mall. I'm so proud.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Cadets is where I competed as well. And honestly if it wasn't for cadets I probably wouldn't have accomplished nearly as much in my life.

It does a lot for kids, that's for sure. My corps has a good success rate in terms of getting its members off to big events-- this year I have five cadets deploying for a week in a frigate, another sailing as a crew member in a european tall ship for three weeks in the spring, and yet another selected for navigation training off of BC. He's not yet licensed to drive a car, but is getting wheel-time on a ten million dollar patrol vessel; suffice to say he's quite excited about the prospect.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's pretty awesome. I got to fly all over Canada, compete in biathlon and at the national level in marksmanship, as well as at the international level at Bisley. It was a great experience.

I hope it's still a valuable experience. It seems like the program has been changing quite a bit since I was in. I've been thinking about volunteering as a CI for a local corps again.

Depends on the element. The entire program finished the massive Cadet Program Update a couple of years ago and the Sea side of the house came out with a vastly improved local and summer training program. The current CF budget cuts have trickled down somewhat and we certainly feel them, but the core of our program is still doing well. We always need volunteers, though, so I am sure your local units could use the help.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mederlock posted:

Haha wow. I was in Sea Cadets for 4 years and volunteered for 3 months last year until work started scheduling me on parade nights. I really like the program and will probably be volunteering again once I've moved. Range weekends are the best

My unit shoots at least once a week for our range team, and sometimes the biathlon team shoots drop targets on its own. Once per year we also conduct a turkey shoot in which the cadets and their families compete for a couple of frozen turkeys. The parents really appreciate the sport, as it teaches their rambunctious children important things like patience, focus, how to listen and how to sit quietly for long periods of time.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Guest2553 posted:

That's more often than most people in the military A few years back I even talked to a Petty Officer who admitted he hadn't been on a range since the FN was in service

To be fair, we shoot 10m air rifle most of the time. It's not the same as a proper rifle, but it's good for teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship and they can be shot pretty much anywhere without any permits or the like. Last year, we fired off something like 26 000 pellets-- not bad for a bunch of kids with single shot air rifles.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Do they still do smallbore with the No.7's? I think I competed at the last Nationals where smallbore events were held. Do units still have them?

The Lee Enfields that the units hold are all de-milled No. 4s as I recall. Some of the summer training centres, namely HMCS ACADIA, maintain a large stock of No. 4s and 7s for drill and ceremonial occasions. Biathlon teams at the provincial competitions use the Anschutz Fortner rifle, which is broadly similar to ones you'll find at the Olympics. They're a real treat to shoot, so long as they don't get too cold (I've heard horror stories of gun oils and then graphite freezing in them).

The army cadet Bisley team trains on something completely different-- maybe the C3? I'm not sure, as I have had very, very little contact with that part of the program being a naval officer and all that.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

We shot C11's and C12's (.223 and .308 respectively) when I was in the marksman track, including Bisley. Our unit had No.7's, Anschutz 54's and the Daisy's.

I'm just wondering if there is still smallbore shot at the unit level. Did navy ever have smallbore?

Units had it for quite a while, but then the local ranges all closed down and most cadet units were left with .22 Lee Enfields with no place to shoot them. After that, they became a feature at the summer training centres until the mid to late 90s, depending on the camp. Some were shooting those old No. 7s until the early part of the new millenium. However, the Sea Cadets have by far the most heavily developed ceremonial drill component to their program, and they fire a shitload of blank volleys and feu de joie for the sunsets, ceremonies of the flags or just for something to do. They also get to drag and fire field guns, which are Victorian-era 12lb field pieces used for firing gun salutes-- I have yet to see a kid serve as a striker on one of those guns and not grin like a lunatic after they've fired the world's largest cap gun.

I worked as the Parade Officer at HMCS ACADIA for a couple of summers and helped arrange artillery accompaniment for the senior band during their final performance. It's a right bastard to time properly. The Pirates of the Caribbean theme is rather more impressive with two field guns firing at its climax, though. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDty2UYgpkQ

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Decoy Badger posted:

Were the Cadet .22s actually No. 7s? From pictures it seems that all of the No. 7s have the folding leaf sight, while I remember my unit (in the 2000s) having at least one 1950s-dated rifle with an aperture sight. Though I suppose those could have been swapped out.

Nothing like getting to spend a warm fall day at the range with a brick of .22 and a Lee Enfield when you're 12!

I'm not 100% sure, to be honest with you. They could easily have been .22 conversions of older .303s.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Our corps had real deal C No.7's, as did the other unit I volunteered with after aging out.

I'm pretty sure that there was a mix. I think I've seen some No. 7s in the vaults of at least one CSTC, but the corps I work with may have held conversions. Not that it matters much either way, in the end.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My RPAL arrived last Friday, so I too will be pestering my father to hand over the various guns that he has stored at home for me. I'm really looking forward to this summer: warm weather, only one job to do and shooting at an honest to god range whenever I want.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My brother is an avid fly fisherman with very little use for firearms or shooting in general, and he has heard of the lunacy and cretinism that issues forth from CGN.

To clarify: he has some rather "rustic" attitudes of his own, and finds what goes on there offensive.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I don't see up to 2000 new prohib licenses becoming a reality.

What is so horrifying about this rifle's lineage that it must be classified as a prohibited weapon? Is it easily modified, or is this just a case of arbitrary classification?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Apparently the government has taken note of the situation and is looking into it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/swiss-arms-classic-green-rifle-ban-to-be-reviewed-by-government-1.2555746

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

slidebite posted:

^Yeah, I mentioned that last page^

Is the shooter in the embedded video a goon? Because he sure looks like he should be one.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/shooting-community-angered-rifle-suddenly-appears-prohibited-list-210019575.html

Well shoot, sorry. I saw it this morning on CBC and couldn't remember it being shared.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, CZ manufacture from why I understand. No special tools - as long as you can exert like 40 tons of pressure with your giant hands.

Sure, no problem.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Canadian Tire near my home has started selling guns recently, and has massively expanded their firearms section to encompass an entire corner of their store. I was in there today to pick up a Marlin 336 and some ammo and was really impressed with the knowledge the staff had-- this store, at least, is hiring people who actually hunt and shoot.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MohawkSatan posted:

Whereabouts is this?

Fredericton, NB.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Even more inexplicably, the High Standard 10B is also restricted by name. IIRC, the AR and the 10B are the only two. Right now you may be asking yourself "What the gently caress is a High Standard 10B and why did it merit being named as restricted?"

And that would be a good question because seriously WTF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Standard_Model_10B

This hideous thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, I know what it is. That question was posed as a bit of a joke. But yeah, that's the weirdo shotgun. I've never found or heard of a reason why it went restricted.

Oh. Mea culpa.

I like to believe that maybe just once it was prohibited for altruistic reasons: meaning, the government wanted to spare Canadian gun owners from having something that ugly in circulation.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I bought a Savage 93 today in .22WMR and went straight to the range. I absolutely adore it-- once I got it sighted in, it was putting out 15 round 2" groups at 100 yards with ease. I really, really like the accutrigger on this rifle; the break is so clean it's amazing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Real men wear Stanfield's.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fermented Tinal posted:

Stanfield's is really worth the extra money. I love the two-layer long johns.

Their main mill is in my home town, so it's easy to get their products for cheap.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MohawkSatan posted:

There's a good reason for that. Quesnel is a special form of hell. I grew up there, spent most of my childhood and nearly my entire teenage life there. In my highschool(the one which was mostly full of poor kids), we had 23 suicides in one year. 23 students out of around 600. I know exactly five people who've managed to get out of that shithole town(including me), and all of us still have varying amounts of issues. The best off of us is a slightly paranoid single dad with two kids and a string of psychotic ex girlfriends.

Stay away from Quesnel folks. Don't even stay there overnight. Push on through to PG or Williams Lake.

Jesus Christ. How did that not make the national news?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Whatever happened to Flanker? I haven't seen him posting for aeons.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Archaic posted:

He is occasionally in contact with his dude over there but no solid dates yet. He is slowly starting to get back into guns again now that he's been working steady doing construction. I was doing it too for a while until this spring when archaeology started back up. Like him, my interest in guns severely waned over the past year, due to the steep costs of gun ownership, the seemingly arbitrary decision making of the RCMP, and the fact that I own pretty much every gun I legally want to own.

What would he be doing over there? Private security?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Most uniformed RCMP members that I know enjoy shooting; one is a good friend of mine and is very keen to shoot my new AR-15.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

That is the special bulletin from the RCMP about creative magazine use, if anyone was looking for it.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I just bought some LAR 15 mags from Wanstalls. They can't be found here for love or money.