Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

This thread has inspired me to finally fill out my PAL application form and send it in. I did the exams over 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Flanker posted:

Your name and avatar win my affection. Where are you?

Ohmtown.

It's my kind of place.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I mailed in my PAL application today.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Flanker posted:

Hello epic drive of insanity. July is free train month for CF members, so I plan on hitting up can gun goons from here to van. Its going to rock.

I'm waiting for them to put up the conditions for this offer. I'm a former Reserve member so I don't know if I qualify or not. If they do I plan on doing a round trip from Moncton to Vancouver, then back again. It'll be a wonderful way to spend a week seeing the countryside.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Licence Application Status Results

Application Number: 11-1111111111111-11

Application Received on: 2008/03/27

Current Status: 173

I think that code means that the initial application has been approved and has been sent to the CFO for final decision. Hello 28 day waiting period.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

sedated posted:

Plastic card? The course I took just gave me two versions of the same 'you passed' form.

Same here. It was just a form that the instructor filled out by hand with the test scores. I called the Firearms Centre about those papers since they were five years old, and she was able to look me up in their database by name and confirm that I took and passed both tests.

So in short, call them and confirm you're in the database, then send in your form and write that you no longer have the papers from your course. It might add in a few more days on your processing, but it still beats waiting for some card that's not needed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

The Motherfucking CFC posted:

Application Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Application Received on: 2008/03/27

Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canada Firearms Centre Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)

Not bad turnaround for a new RPAL application.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Got my RPAL in the mail yesterday. I was a bit disappointed that the only difference between a PAL and a RPAL is one little line that says "Restricted" on the back. I don't know what I was expecting though.. perhaps a neon yellow card that said "menace to society, approach with caution".

Also, It comes with a conditions paper that says it must be carried with the PAL and presented when asked. I only have the standard conditions, and it says that on the PAL itself, so it's kind of silly that I have to carry around a sheet of paper that says I don't have any special conditions. They could've laminated it at least so it wouldn't fall apart.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Nope, applied for both at the same time. It took 3-5 days after they mailed it before I received it.

Have you checked your status on the CFA website?

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/status/default_e.asp

Also, did your references get called yet? Mine got calls about a week after I mailed the form.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Heck, the conditions paper is simply a piece of standard white paper with no authentication marks at all. A 10 year old with a laser printer and MS word could replicate it in about 15 minutes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Chunderbucket posted:

Just an old Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII. Phoenix might be fine because I'm terrible with irons regardless of distance

Rifle transport question: Can I transport them on foot if it's in a locked case? I didn't think you could, but I was wandering around downtown moncton last night with my case (empty) and the cops just ignored it.

Any decent stores in Moncton?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I see Canadian Tire has gun safes on sale 40% off. I'll need one eventually. Any thoughts?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Flanker posted:

Better than a duct taped cardboard box.

But how better? Anyways, not an issue since that was last weeks flyer I was looking at.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I've been looking in the CGN milsurp EE forums for a good deal, but I'm still very new to shooting so I don't know what's a good deal versus a meh deal versus holy poo poo he fell for it.

If anyone sees a good deal be a sport and link it here for us? Even if I don't buy it we'll all learn from it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

DrakeriderCa posted:

Can you give us more direction about what you're looking for? Since you're looking for milsurp, that narrows it down a bit. Do you want bolt action? Semi-auto? Do you have a round preference? What's your experience level with firearms?

At this point I'm pretty much looking for something fun to shoot that's relatively cheap to own and feed. Other than that I don't have a preference other than no 8mm since I've read that's very scarce in Canada. I havn't fired a gun in over 10 years and I've never owned one. I do have my RPAL but I'm not yet member of a club.

I would love a 10/22 to start but on the EE they all seem to be very expensive. I'm just ignorant about Canadian gun costs after reading American shooting forums for so long.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Well, nothing like a high school shooting in Toronto to get guns back onto the election radar.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/09/16/bendale-shooting.html

Personally, I'm having a real hard time deciding who's going to get my vote from a purely selfish interest in the social issues. I've got gay friends, I'm pro-marijuana, and I like to have fun with things that go boom. Out of the three, the only thing that affects me would be a gun ban since I don't smoke cock nor weed, but I fully support others rights to do so at will and without prejudice.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

500+ acres up in NS where they've made a private range for themselves.

This is a little dream of mine. Too bad it can't be used for restricted shooting but still a nice private rifle range sounds nice.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

The Architect posted:

Would anyone here like my Norinco SKS before I sell it on CGN? I just bought a Russian one from SFRC, $189.99 plus taxes and shipping, regular $269.99. Father's day special only! I'll sell you my Norinco for $130 plus shipping. I prefer to sell it to a goon, because it's a goon rifle. It belonged to Gtab, then Helno, and then me.

Anyone else want to sell a cheap goon gun?

Also, a new range opened up here in PEI and a seasoned complainer wants it closed down due to noise and lead poisoning in the water .

Actually I've been looking for a new relaxed range so I think I'll join up. If she kept her mouth shut I never would have known it was there.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I think we should have a TFR goon meet here in PEI. We can go visit the one gun shop.. oh wait it closed. Well, there's always the nudie bar... wait, we've never had one and likely never will. At least the Island is a gun friendly place where we're welcomed.

Oh wait.

"In the 21st century, shooting guns belongs in the police or armed forces who have their own ranges anyway. Gun toting by ordinary citizens is a throwback to the old Wild West frontier days.

Residents have every right to be up in arms, whoever the spokesperson may be. "

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

My aunt has given me a vintage .22 that apparently was owned by my grandfather. I'm going to be in Ottawa next to see her and pick it up. Anyone know of a place that can tell me if it's worth paying the money to buy a case and fly back with it? I have no sentimental attachment to the gun so I don't want to spend more on shipping than the gun is worth.

edit - I suppose I can pick it up and post pics here. Duh.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for the offer. My grandfather was a drunk who died before I was born so I can't imagine it's anything special.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I was wondering about that. Any idea where I could find a box big enough to ship it whole?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ziploc posted:

Where should I be ordering 870 parts? I'm tempted by a +3 extension.

I'd go for the +3/+5 vs undead.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Looking for a cheap milsurp to start shooting. I don't care really about matching numbers or that kind of thing. Just something to go boom and be babbys first rifle.

Any reason not to do this? Seems like a decent deal as there's no tax and includes shipping.

"New from dealer SKS Russian Refurb, its still in the sealed box covered in grease. Looking for a quick sale $190 shipped."

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1135684-Russian-Refurb-SKS-IN-BOX-NEVER-OPENED

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Got my first rifle today. My aunt gave me my grandfather's 1949 Mossberg 164B .22 rifle. It has a tube magazine (20 LR, 30 SR), and the factory 4x scope has been replaced with a 3x-9x 32mm.

It's got a good rep online for being an accurate little plinker. Looking forward to taking it out.

I'm also looking at that soviet super combo. That looks like the perfect thing to kick off my collection.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

or a prepper.

Anyways, my local Canadian Tire has a few different types of 500 round bricks .22 LR. Not scarce at all during off season.

I think I read somewhere (here?) that .22 gets scarce because the manufacturers are running full capacity but it's not profitable enough to invest the infrastructure to meet demand during peak months. So they go balls out year round and there's a glut in the off season that gets used up by the end of summer.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I need a lower price gun safe for a few rifles. I don't think the sheet metal ones at Canadian Tire would keep out a moderately bored teenager, much less someone actually interested in getting to the guns. Am I wrong?

The problem is that I'm in PEI so no real hunting/fishing stores like Cabellas so my choices are limited.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 2, 2015

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

DrakeriderCa posted:

Do you have a Costco nearby? Their safe is about $349 IIRC and is an awesome value for the price.

Good suggestion. We don't have one but going to the mainland for a Costco run is the Island version of a fancy vacation.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Safety Course doesn't fix stupid.

The Canadian Guns/Shooters/Questions Thread: Safety Course doesn't fix stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Can someone recommend a decent quality cleaning set? I have a .22 now and will be getting a 12 gauge soon, with more coming eventually.

Looking at the reviews for different sets I see lots of people complaining about poor quality crap. I don't mind shelling out some decent money for something that will last a lifetime.