Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

I should be joining these ranks soon. I applied for my PAL like 2 months ago, and my friend called and they said it is getting printed and sent on the 18th. I'm really hoping it comes before the 22nd because:

http://theauctionadvertiser.com/cgi-bin/slsearcx.pl?au=David%20Landsborough&dt=20080322

It's a gun auction in Paris, Ontario (wherever the gently caress that is). My PAL instructor told me this would be a good place to get something on the cheap. Me and a friend went to a gun auction yesterday in Creemore, Ontario and while we weren't there for long (we found a roadkill fawn on highway 9 that looked good, so he field dressed it with a boxcutter and took it home, he's kind of a maniac) but it seemed like sporterized enfields and mausers were selling from $70 - $130, so at that price why the hell not.

When my PAL does come though, I definitely want to get a 10/22 as a first gun, where should I get it from? I want to get the 10/22 all weather, which is stainless steel with a synthetic stock. If you guys can't help me with somewhere cheaper (and at least somewhere near Toronto) I'll probably get it from Elwood Epps (http://www.ellwoodepps.com/new_firearms_ruger.asp) for $287 + tax. That seems kind of expensive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone know of any auctions coming up in ontario, in a few hours vicinity of Toronto? My PAL just came today so I missed the one I wanted to go too on easter weekend.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Can someone explain to me how mailorder works? I'm sure it's not as easy as the gun being delivered right to your house, and I think I want to order an SKS from SIR.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone know what the scoop is with 7.62x54R? I'm thinking about a mosin but from what I've read it seems like theres none of this stuff anywhere. Does anyone know of any suppliers who have it, and is there any on the horizon?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Gtab posted:

Oh, it's available out west here. Just like everything that is good in the world. God loves the west coast and he hates the rest of Canada.

Do you know of any websites that I can order a case from? SIR lists it, but they don't have it.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

I'm slipping down this slope really loving fast. I just bought my first gun a 2 weeks ago, a 10/22 and I haven't even fired it yet (going to on april 11th). I've already bought a mosin off of CGN, and preordered an SKS from SIR. I really can't afford this.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

I'm gonna ask again; Does anyone have any idea where I can presently order a case (or less, I guess) of 7.62x54r or is it all dried up for now? I haven't really had any luck finding any. Canada Ammo is supposedly getting some soon, but who knows.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Jack Ketch posted:

Well that Sucks, how will I shoot my new SVT-40 now? My Commie hopes and dreams are dashed.

Perhaps SIR mail order still has a little?

They list it but they don't have it.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

So how do I go about upgrading my non-restricted PAL to a Restricted one? Do I have to take another course?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I assume that they're more common in Canada than in the US, and I know I whore myself out for them at every oppritunity, but if you can track down a Tula TOZ of any flavor they're amazing. The bolt action TOZ-78 is a GREAT, accurate little plinker and mine is one of my favorite guns. I forget the model number right now but they also have a semi-auto one that's supposed to be really damned accurate and fun as well. I'm actually thinking of picking one up if I can get a source down here.

Tula makes amazing guns, rugged, reliable as hell, and accurate as you could want, plus they're priced way below what they should be.

I think I'm going to pick one up, their only $219. I've been wanting an accurate bolt action .22 for a while that I can use with just the sights.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

Does anyone know who has surplus SA .308 in stock right now? I've called around to a bunch of stores and can't seem to find any.

http://www.frontiertaxidermy.com/index.html

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

What do you guys think about buying a couple cases of 7.62x39 and holding on to them as a sort of investment? The czech 7.62x54r dried so whats to say the x39 won't too? People are getting like $1 a round for that 7.62x54r as well.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

SKS's are delayed again until September. I've been thinking about getting a case of 7.62x39 for when it arrives but everyone wants like $70 for shipping. Is there anywhere near Toronto that has them?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

CanadaAmmo used to always sell their crates of x39 with shipping included. Have you talked to them?

I just checked their site, they are out of stock. They really improved the website, drat.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Frontier apparently has some 7.62x54r coming in soon for $249 for a case of 800. I sent an email to put in an order for one, I hope I secured one.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

HPL posted:

What kind exactly?

It's the Czech stuff from what I've heard. Here's the link:

http://www.frontiertaxidermy.com/html/ammo.html

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

mikerock posted:

I am selling my Vz-52/57 on the EE. Goons get $20 off.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264505

That didn't take long.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

Downtown Toronto, West End. It's like an hour and a half to Silverdale, but it's worth it. I really fell in love with the range.

Do they have a website? I found http://www.silverdalesports.ca/ but it doesn't work. Maybe this place is worth checking out.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/index.html

From my time there it seems like it's going to be a nice range to join. Everyone was friendly. Going in I was worried it was going to be filled with just old people shooting nothing but bench rest who would be unfriendly and just want to sight in their guns and leave. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone was talkative and would joke around. I compared my stock M14 to a guy's customized M14. I saw at least 3 guys with ARs doing rapid fire. We were doing rapid fire shots with the Tavor on the action range. A lot of younger people. It had a really good feeling to it.

The actual ranges were all well maintained. Everything was in good condition. There's a gun store on site that sells guns, ammo, cleaning supplies, basically everything you'd want in a gun store. Overhearing people talking in the store he can order in anything.

The woman behind the counter said that if you join now it will only be 100 bucks for the rest of the year. It's 225 for a full year.

Millow, what area do you live in?

Toronto, High Park area. Me and a buddy were trying to find local ranges, well he was more then I have been. Have you ever checked out the Orillia gun club or the Oshawa gun club? We were also considering joining either of those.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Baby's first kill. We only got one though, it's really hard without a dog.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

I haven't really been following politics, does the semi-auto ban that some partys are proposing include rimfire and semi-auto shotguns?

I wish SIR would come through with my SKS, I've been waiting since April. It's tempting me to drop 4 bills on a SVT, now that I actually have a case of 7.62x54r but I really can't afford that.

Does anyone know where I can get some soft-point 7.62x54r? Yeah, I'm considering shooting a deer with my mosin, you wanna fight about it?

Also, I recently bought a sporterized G98 in 30-06 for actually shooting deer with, and the guy who sold it to me told me that it was done up by a native guy in B.C by the name of Humphreys who was a pretty renowned gunsmith that specialized in Mausers between the two world wars. Anyone have any leads to where I could get more info on him, or his work? I don't know his first name but the initials "N.H" are stamped into the barrel next to the caliber.

Millow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 2, 2008

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

I just picked up a Baikal 12 Gauge single shot from Armco. Should be here sometime next week.

Seems like a good deal for 99 bucks.

No external hammer? booooooo

That Savage Auto-5 clone is giving me a boner, $229 isn't bad either. If I could justify it I would buy it.

Millow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 3, 2008

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

HPL posted:

Oh poo poo! Norinco .308 coming in at Marstar! Vancouver-area group buy?

http://www.marstar.ca/main/new-arrivals.shtm

EDIT: It's $500. It used to be so cheap back when Lever had tons of it.

That is really expensive. Although South African surplus has been going for like a $1 a round on the EE.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

I love my 10/22. I haven't done any modifications to it yet, except put a scope on it. It isn't crazy accurate, but it's accurate enough right now. Does anyone know a good site here in Canada that sells 10/22 aftermarket stuff?

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Why must this happen the year I am old enough to finally get my license.

It's a sign

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

and this loving 28 day waiting period is breaking my balls

When I did my PAL in January it was more like 2.5 months.

Also:

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any land in WMU 49 in Ontario where me and a friend could hunt deer? We'd be willing to do any work you need done or pay you a little (would rather work, we're students). Failing that, does anyone know any good tracts of crown land around there? Apparently there's "lots" so that's why we applied for tags there, but obviously we would rather try and hunt on private land.

Millow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 14, 2008

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, but you live in Shitario.

I'm pretty sure it all gets processed in Miramiche NB or whatever that town is called.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280306

Someone buy that SVT-40 and hunt deer with it.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

The election is over. Stop talking about politics. Start talking about guns/shooters/questions.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

if you challenge it costs like sixty bucks

Really? My hunter ed and PAL was like $200.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

Actually, I just looked at my course report and the only cost listed is $40. Regardless of if it's 40 or 60, you can save a lot of cash by downloading the books and challenging the course since when it is all said and done you have the same license. This also included the hunter ed test and my new brunswick conservation card.

Whether or not this applies to restricted PAL, I don't know, but I do remember them having the restricted course book available for download also.

edit: come to think of it, there was probably a fee for the PAL itself too. still cheaper.

The fee for the my PAL was $80 I remember. This was recent, like February.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

I recently shot a 495 fps air rifle on camping trip and it really is underwhelming. Also really annoying how you have to break it every time to just load a single pellet. I had way more fun with my new Henry AR-7.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Galt Sportsman's Club outside of Cambridge is good for skeet/trap/sporting clays, you don't even have to be a member. But for rifles you have to be on a member and also get on a year+ long waiting list

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Fearless posted:

There was also some chatter back in what... November? that the RCMP was also moving to prohibit LAR and .50 Beowulf mags being used in regular ARs to circumvent the mag cap rules. That turned out to be nothing, so hopefully this will too somehow.

Something tells me that current world events are motivating them to really push this through. It`s a huge bummer and I guess I might cry a bit if I have to smash my Butler Creek banana with a hammer but oh well, it isn`t the end of the world.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Also the last time I really bought any .22lr was before Obama was elected for his first term (I don`t get out to shoot much) and holy gently caress is it expensive and hard to find now. I remember buying bricks of thunderbolt for like $20. That being said, does anyone know a place where I can order some .22 CB Longs? I`ve found the shorts at one semi-local store but I only have semi-auto .22`s and I think the longs would probably be so much easier to manually cycle.

Millow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

So are Butler Creek 10/22 mags illegal now or what? And what exactly is the penalty for owning one?