Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«399 »
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

EVIL Gibson posted:

What are you running because I got a guide that certainly helped me out. Also what type of card?

No GPU, just the Skylake 6100 to do transcoding. CentOS 7 headless host running CentOS 7 VM with emby. Gigabyte X150-ECC motherboard with 16GB unbuffered ECC DDR4.

Your reply makes me think that I should just set it to "Intel Quicksync (experimental)" in the server settings?

Also, I've been copying a load of videos from a spare drive into my ZFS mirror pair. Then I went to bed for an hour and I just sent the "shutdown -r 0" command to my host. It's doing some heavy writing and no signs of the reboot yet. Been going for about 4 minutes. Is this normal for ZFS? Is it performing a final scrub/cache sync before reboot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

apropos man posted:

I've went with Emby as my video player. I'm interested in compiling my own ffmpeg, as mentioned upthread, and using it as the custom transcoder.

I'm scared to compile anything at the moment because I'm running a Skylake i3 6100 in my server, and that's one of the series of CPU's affected by the recent data corruption scare when doing compilation

Guess I'll wait for some microcode updates.

You can either disable hyperthreading or wait for a microcode update to CentOS (probably in August, though maybe sooner).

Given that it took a year and a half for a patch to this, it's not as easy to run into or severe as you think it may be anyway. You're probably safe just recompiling. I mean, what's the worst that happens? Segfault?

apropos man posted:

Also, I've been copying a load of videos from a spare drive into my ZFS mirror pair. Then I went to bed for an hour and I just sent the "shutdown -r 0" command to my host. It's doing some heavy writing and no signs of the reboot yet. Been going for about 4 minutes. Is this normal for ZFS? Is it performing a final scrub/cache sync before reboot?
Impossible to say without knowing your cache flush settings.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Not strictly NAS-related, but I guess it's about time to get around to replacing this desktop storage hard drive...

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

THE CLOUD WILL PROTECT US

apropos man posted:

No GPU, just the Skylake 6100 to do transcoding. CentOS 7 headless host running CentOS 7 VM with emby. Gigabyte X150-ECC motherboard with 16GB unbuffered ECC DDR4.

Your reply makes me think that I should just set it to "Intel Quicksync (experimental)" in the server settings?

Try to see if your ffmpeg doesn't already have quick sync enabled

code:

$ ffmpeg -codecs | grep ‘qsv’
DEV.LS h264  H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 
(decoders: h264 h264_qsv ) 
(encoders: h264 _qsv )
DEV.L. mpeg2video MPEG-2 video 
(decoders: mpeg2video mpegvideo mpeg2 _ qsv ) 
(encoders: mpeg2video mpeg2 _ qsv )
D.V.L. vc1 SMPTE VC-1 
(decoders: vc1 vc1 _ qsv )

Then you can try to encode a file by itself and see if it properly works. You should see h264_qsv being transferred to.

code:

$ ffmpeg -y –i test.mp4 -vcodec h264_qsv -acodec copy -b:v 8000K out.mp4

Here is a guide of how to install the prerequisite libraries and compile a version of ffmpeg on centos. I am not familiar with your VM but qsv may not be available in a sandboxed environment.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...stall-valid.pdf

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2017 around 19:46

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

This may sound like a silly question but why are you guys encoding video on your NAS systems? Is it a case of overcoming format incompatibilities or what?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

EssOEss posted:

This may sound like a silly question but why are you guys encoding video on your NAS systems? Is it a case of overcoming format incompatibilities or what?

For me, I have mkv files and that format cannot be streamed as easy as h264. Subtitles, forget about it.

Transcoding to easier to render formats for the the end client saves bandwidth and network saturation especially if you are supporting multiple streams

My phone does not need 4k resolutions and 5.1 sound. 720 with stereo is good enough but I sure don't want to encode every single movie and then show to 720 (which Plex allows you to do by "optimizing")

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

For me, I have mkv files and that format cannot be streamed as easy as h264. Subtitles, forget about it.

You seem to be mixing up container and video codec

But with that said... one of the whole benefits of running Plex or anything like it, is that it will figure out the best format for whatever device / connection you're using to connect to it. As EVIL said, there's no point in trying to shove a 4K stream into a non-4K device, since it probably doesn't have the processing power or bandwidth to handle it. Better to let a nice beefy server transcode it on the fly. That way you don't need to keep around multiple copies for every single piece of content.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

All of the reasons already mentioned, plus I have a Chromecast stuck into the bedroom TV which doesn't play a certain audio license, so if I'm transcoding on-the-fly I know the audio will work every time without having to SSH into my server on my phone and run a bash script to transcode the audio and wait 5 minutes until I can play the transcoded version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

You seem to be mixing up container and video codec

But with that said... one of the whole benefits of running Plex or anything like it, is that it will figure out the best format for whatever device / connection you're using to connect to it. As EVIL said, there's no point in trying to shove a 4K stream into a non-4K device, since it probably doesn't have the processing power or bandwidth to handle it. Better to let a nice beefy server transcode it on the fly. That way you don't need to keep around multiple copies for every single piece of content.

I means maktroka video and whatever you want in mp4 haha.

I am really getting familiar with the differences and why tools like mp4automater exists 😀

«399 »