Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«455 »
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

Protect our Friends!

Anti-Poaching Taskforce
Japari Park Service

As my NAS is filling, I guess it's time to finish upgrading all the disks to 4TB and rebuild the array to a higher capacity. I need three of 'em, any reason why I shouldn't get this bundle on newegg for 3x WD Red 4tb? Better drives, better prices, anything?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb...t=Combo.3608312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Out there.

PerrineClostermann posted:

As my NAS is filling, I guess it's time to finish upgrading all the disks to 4TB and rebuild the array to a higher capacity. I need three of 'em, any reason why I shouldn't get this bundle on newegg for 3x WD Red 4tb? Better drives, better prices, anything?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb...t=Combo.3608312

If the 8TB WD easystores are still shuckable good drives, look into those.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

Protect our Friends!

Anti-Poaching Taskforce
Japari Park Service

astral posted:

If the 8TB WD easystores are still shuckable good drives, look into those.

Looks like a bit of a lottery, plus they're more expensive. I'm tossing these into a FreeNAS machine that's already got half the drives upgraded to 4TB, so to get any real benefit to the 8TB, I'd have to buy 6x of them. I'll have to remember these though, as not all my storage needs are FreeNAS-based.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing wrong with WD reds, I've been using them for years and years.

I'd still look at the lowest $/GB personally, even if you don't fully utilize the drives yet. Consider it an investment in a future upgrade, perhaps?

I personally like the 8TB HGST from Goharddrive. They're refurbs but they apply their own warranty, and they seem to have a solid history of good customer service.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

So, to go back to my original enquiry: nobody has any reasons not to use Synology's native folder encryption on a folder that I use to keep my personal docs in?

Forgive my caution, but I had a firstgen WD MyBook backup drive with built-in encryption that had a minor bug that it occasionally it become unencryptable and the data was lost forever.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.

Got a question for you all. I'm looking for a raid5 controller that isn't complete garbage for specs. This is to fill in for replacement of failing hardware for a camera system that is on a short budget so I can't sadly spec out a separate freenas machine for storage purposes, have to add this to a windows 7 box and all I have found are software raid controllers or hardware ones that only support 2TB max raid size.

Last person who set this system up just used a giant pile of random sized hard drives and some are failing so we are trying to swap it over to 3x4TB drives in raid 5 so there is some local redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Can't install Windows?
BUY APPLE

Aragaith posted:

Got a question for you all. I'm looking for a raid5 controller that isn't complete garbage for specs. This is to fill in for replacement of failing hardware for a camera system that is on a short budget so I can't sadly spec out a separate freenas machine for storage purposes, have to add this to a windows 7 box and all I have found are software raid controllers or hardware ones that only support 2TB max raid size.

Last person who set this system up just used a giant pile of random sized hard drives and some are failing so we are trying to swap it over to 3x4TB drives in raid 5 so there is some local redundancy.

Spend 500-700 on whatever Avago is putting out from their old LSI line. Are you sure you don't have budget for a Linux software raid device? You're not far off if you already have disks.

«455 »