Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«477 »
salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

What's a reliable drive, preferably with an external enclosure, that's at least 2TB in size? I'm replacing an old 2TB drive on a media server that I hope fix and not touch again for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

salisbury shake posted:

What's a reliable drive, preferably with an external enclosure, that's at least 2TB in size? I'm replacing an old 2TB drive on a media server that I hope fix and not touch again for a long time.

All drives are reliable until you hear that clicking. If reliability is a big concern I'd get a higher end disk (WD Black/gold, HGST) and put it in an enclosure myself, otherwise just pick up a 4TB WD easystore and follow the golden rule of having at least 2 copies of anything you can't replace.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll

If you’re ok with no back-ups, the WD EasyStore series at Best Buy is pretty ace. During sales you can see the 8 TB drives drop down to as low as $135 making it the best cost / storage drive out there. In terms of reliability, they are either red or white label WD NAS drives, just with shorter warranties because they’re external drives.

A bit of anecdotal warning though, I bought 9 of these last year using my batched purchasing strategy and 2 of them have failed in the first year of use. One was basically broken and clicking within 2 weeks of light duty, the other died five days ago after I suspect abuse due to me forgetting to hook up a case fan and all my hard drives climbing up to 65 degrees Celsius for weeks instead of the normal 35 - 42. I’d still buy them but would suggest something like BackBlaze as a backup if you’re going to use only a single drive for all your stuff.

Just avoid Seagate’s drives and you should be ok. The most reliable external drives would probably be buying some enterprise-grade drive with a long warranty (read: better parts) and putting it into a well cooled and shock proof enclosure, and that would run you a couple hundred minimum. My 1 TB WD black from 2009 has had a lot of usage but is still going very strong while I’ve gone through at least 3 green / eco variants from different manufacturers. Also, Toshiba and HGST are also great drives that may run a little warm and anyone using those in an external enclosure is probably going to get better results for reliability than an external drive from retail with 1-2 year warranties.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with hyperfocusing on drive reliability is the same as focusing on reliability of anything else - you're buying a current product based on the past performance of older products. With the added "benefit" of the fact that hard drive manufacturers are seemingly deliberately obtuse about when they revise a given product in a way that could impact its reliability, such as decreasing platter count on a given capacity. There's still trends you can somewhat rely on, but every infamous "this drive is a piece of poo poo" drive was on the market for at least a year before widespread problems cropped up. I wouldn't expect WD, HGST, or Toshiba to ship a lemon anytime soon, but you never know when the next 60GXP is going to show up.

If you ever end up in a situation where you are comparing the total cost of one solution where you buy a cheap drive and some paid backup, or an expensive drive and no backup, take the cheap drive with backup every time.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

ughhhh posted:

So i currently have a i5-4590, z97 mobo, 4gbx2 ram and a couple of 2tb 3.5 hdds laying around after having upgraded my old computer. Would this be a good base to start a plex/torrent/media box? Would it be worth it to use this to make one or should i just sell it?

It's more than enough. I was running a plex/torrent box on a Q9300 (seems to get half the Passmark score of your 4590) until 2 weeks ago, and only upgraded because the motherboard died, the performance was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Thanks for the responses. Just picked up a WD Easystore from Best Buy with plans to do some type of mirroring as these drives are very cheap.

edit: any thoughts on raid1 via btrfs?

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at Oct 15, 2018 around 21:54

«477 »