Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

(electrical grid is extremely stable in Denmark, there's only been a blackout twice in the last decade).

That truly depends where you live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System Access Node Not Found

HalloKitty posted:

That truly depends where you live
I live in Vendsyssel. Are suburban areas of Sweden (Sjælland) that much worse?

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I'm looking for an alternative to Synology Drive on my DS218+. My issues with it are that it frequently utilizes 100% of my disk for like 30 hours straight, and it seems to take 2-10 hours to recognize a local change.

I think I need something like this because I frequently have to share large (10g+) files with people who are very security-minded but not very computer literate. They need to be able to click a link, enter a password, and download or stream a version of the files. I also need to be able to add temporary or long term users with access to certain directories.

Is Nextcloud the way to go for this? It should be fine to run it on more powerful hardware if I absolutely have to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just got done setting up Nextcloud on my Unraid server yesterday, I'm not sure if it's the best option or not but it will definitely handle what you're describing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I'd say Nextcloud too for that. MFA can be easily added to it (or was it built in?), I have TOPT on mine.

Side question though, do you need online editing, e.g. word online style editing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I'm looking for an alternative to Synology Drive on my DS218+. My issues with it are that it frequently utilizes 100% of my disk for like 30 hours straight, and it seems to take 2-10 hours to recognize a local change.

I think I need something like this because I frequently have to share large (10g+) files with people who are very security-minded but not very computer literate. They need to be able to click a link, enter a password, and download or stream a version of the files. I also need to be able to add temporary or long term users with access to certain directories.

Is Nextcloud the way to go for this? It should be fine to run it on more powerful hardware if I absolutely have to.

Is there a reason not to use Google Drive or Dropbox or OneDrive?

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a reason not to use Google Drive or Dropbox or OneDrive?

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

There’s also file size considerations, I’d rather put in the time to figure out the free service and learn some stuff than pay google for a terabyte.

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Side question though, do you need online editing, e.g. word online style editing?

Nah just folder syncing and link sharing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Syncthing for sharing between devices and rclone to upload to your favorite

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

tuyop posted:

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

“Security minded” but technologically illiterate and knows/trusts open source.

That is one weird little intersection.

Well, you do you boo.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

Sorry if this is redundant, but looking to upgrade a NAS. Mostly use it for data backup and a media hub. Ideally it could do some 4k transcoding as I have a Roku Stick on my main tv.

Thinking about doing RAID 10. My old NAS is a 8 or 9 year old Synology NAS and I've been pretty happy with it. Was thinking about replacing it with https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS418#specs.

What is the difference between the standard and the + version? Worth the extra cost? Any potential pitfalls I should be aware of? And I'm assuming WD disks are still the way to go?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why are you thinking of using RAID10? Do you run a database or something else that needs IOPS? Otherwise, RAID6 allows you to lose any of the two drives, which gives you better data availability for the same loss in space.

WD disks above 8TB, if you're shucking. Below that, you risk running into SMR disks, and WD don't deserve to be paid money for those as they're not worth the metal they're made from for anything that they might get used for in this thread.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

Not running any databases. I've always used RAID 5 in the past and lately the write speeds have been awful. Looking to improve that but if I can get a little more dependability on the data (like having 2 disks fail) that would be nice. Don't necessarily need to do RAID 10. Haven't looked much into RAID 6.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ebay $120 dell R710 installation report, shipping was free.

So server came well packages and arrived within the 3 days promised. It has one processor but two processor heat sinks. The Idrac was express, so pretty useless. The controller card included does JBOD and firmware is available to up install that mode, but it is limited to 2TB SATA drives, but not limited on size for SAS drives which surprisingly are not as badly priced as I feared on fleabay. I guess they are easier to liberate from capital. It contained two power supplies and two cords!.

OMV install. The default install does not include the needed firmware for the broadcom network card on the board and it doesn't prompt you to install it. The workaround is to install debian netinst which will prompt you for the firmware BCM5709. You can then run a nice script some fellow wrote that installs OMV on top of that with a couple lines of typing since you can't paste because idrac express is garbage. Technically you can SSH into the debian install but I didn't think of that because I am dumb. OMV installed and works fine.

Total costs so far

Server $120
6 dell drive trays $15
2 8 TB SAS drives system pulls, (They had 13 hours from ebay, $109 each) $218.
A usb drive I installed on stuck in the internal USB slot, $5.
Some miscellaneous SATA drives I had on a shelf, priceless!

Total $358.

Now to learn how to get docker up and running so I can install a bunch of containers full of app to help install more containers.

I also need another drive for snapraid but not to concerned yet because I haven't migrated any data that isn't also on various laptops, desktops.

Pictured on massive shelf that came with the house, weird gun american flag stickers attached by prior occupant.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Just on the subject of Docker containers: LinuxServer.io is your friend, best man at your wedding, bromance and eventual reason you leave your spouse for them... In the regard of Docker containers at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hockeyman posted:

Not running any databases. I've always used RAID 5 in the past and lately the write speeds have been awful. Looking to improve that but if I can get a little more dependability on the data (like having 2 disks fail) that would be nice. Don't necessarily need to do RAID 10. Haven't looked much into RAID 6.

Can you elaborate on this? What write workload are you doing and how fast is it going? Is this a synthetic test or a real workload? How fast would you like it to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Can you elaborate on this? What write workload are you doing and how fast is it going? Is this a synthetic test or a real workload? How fast would you like it to go?

Just transferring large files across my network. Writing to RAID5 across different machines fluctuates from anywhere from less than 1 MB/s to 3 or 4 MB/s. I'm not looking for anything ridiculous, but ideally something more than that would be nice.