Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It should be an ideal workload for SMR disks. Assuming they smartly designed the "plots" which we already know they didn't. Streaming/sequential read only workloads ought to just go right along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

It should be an ideal workload for SMR disks. Assuming they smartly designed the "plots" which we already know they didn't. Streaming/sequential read only workloads ought to just go right along.

If they were just SMR disks. WD designed them with a CMR portion that is designed to be flushed and written to an SMR area. On the 6TB drives I have my estimate is that the CMR portion is around 300GB. When the CMR portion runs out the performance drops heavily as it is forced to write data to SMR to empty CMR. This poor performance has had larger raid arrays mark drives as defective.

The comedy from the tears looks promising.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Just the tip!

Exciting Lemon

SMR is fine if you're writing huge chunks of data to an empty disk (not a ZFS rebuild mind you, that's not sequential enough) so they're probably just fine for Chia if you're blasting your dumb loving sudokus onto an SSD then moving them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

3 olives has a payment plan with his phone company for his cell phone

The 14TB external I ordered from Adorama has been backordered for 3 weeks

Stealthgerbil
Dec 15, 2004

15K RPM SAS drives plot fine and last forever. It's the secret that they don't want anyone to know.