Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

priznat posted:

The node 804 makes the most sense but I just really don’t want to buy another case.. I was hesitant to move the i7 into the i5 case but that’s probably the most sensible option.

I thought I wanted hot swap bays. Then I realized what a nightmare the thermals are in all of the cases that support them, and realized that I didn't actually need hot swap support outside of the novelty of it. My Node 804 is nice and quiet and my drives temps are great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Neat. When streaming a video file from TrueNAS via Samba, prefetch doesn't kick in, due to how Samba does IO (at least with TrueNAS' default config). Meh.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fletcher posted:

I thought I wanted hot swap bays. Then I realized what a nightmare the thermals are in all of the cases that support them, and realized that I didn't actually need hot swap support outside of the novelty of it. My Node 804 is nice and quiet and my drives temps are great!

They're fun in the enterprise gear I have with them, but ... I've never needed to hotswap a drive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t care about hot swapping I just wanted to attach a bunch of drives to a computer in a case that can’t fit anymore drives inside it :haw:

Actually kind of thinking about just dangling sata cables out of the case and having the drives loose!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Just build a disk stand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, it feels like the overlap between maxtor drives, noctua fan, that case, the non-modular PSU and the red SATA cables is enough to date this build very precisely.

(I'll guess 2006?)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
All these non-cat owners sure come up with some janky setups.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Saukkis posted:

Just build a disk stand.

:barf:

Is that bolted to the floor too?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mr. Crow posted:

:barf:

Is that bolted to the floor too?

It's bolted to a piece of wood that's only slightly lighter than the floor.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
who gives a poo poo your fuckin nas shouldn't be the centerpiece of your house, lol. looks fine! big piece of wood presumably to deal with the vibrations, lol. i love it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking of building, something like that! Need to source those rails somewhere. It’ll just live on a shelf in my basement so no one will ever see it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Build a sweet mineral oil tank for them instead!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

who gives a poo poo your fuckin nas shouldn't be the centerpiece of your house, lol. looks fine! big piece of wood presumably to deal with the vibrations, lol. i love it.

Hopefully we will get to a point where everyone's NAS is the centerpiece of their house.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was considering a loose drive setup a while back, but opted for a single drive, KISS setup instead.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
From the plex thread:

FCKGW posted:

For anyone running Unraid they're having a 30% off sale on upgrades
https://unraid.net/upgrade-sale

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Computer viking posted:

Ha, it feels like the overlap between maxtor drives, noctua fan, that case, the non-modular PSU and the red SATA cables is enough to date this build very precisely.

(I'll guess 2006?)

Well what do you know, the picture is from October 2007.

priznat posted:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking of building, something like that! Need to source those rails somewhere. It’ll just live on a shelf in my basement so no one will ever see it.

They're just standard aluminum L-bars.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So after like 7 years of USB stick boot drives on Free/TrueNAS I think it's time to move to SSD (still external USB though).

I suppose buying the cheapest named M.2 SATA (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H23ZD94/) I can find and shoving into the cheapest enclosure (e.g https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GV3FYS/ ) I can find would be better than the RNG-named seller externals that go for <$30?

Not going to consider the branded externals at 3x the price and overkill in terms of storage.

E: Actually interesting, ADATA has something in the el-cheapo range too ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKS797D )

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I think I'd go with the combo of m.2 and enclosure you found, since that team group drive promises to be TLC and the Q in the adata's name probably indicates QLC. I'm kinda the QLC defender normally, but not on tiny drives.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone point me to the directory in TrueNAS where the Cloud Sync tasks live? I would like to copy/edit a few of the tasks manually.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone point me to the directory in TrueNAS where the Cloud Sync tasks live? I would like to copy/edit a few of the tasks manually.

Seems like they don't live anywhere:

"rclone config are generated from middleware dynamically in /tmp folder as temp files during execution of cloud sync jobs."

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Seems like they don't live anywhere:

"rclone config are generated from middleware dynamically in /tmp folder as temp files during execution of cloud sync jobs."

Wow that's super annoying! Thanks for the answer though, appreciate it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Stupid question time (I apologise, the OP is 10 years old it seems at this point?). I picked up a nice Synology DS218Play recently because I just want a nice little file setup and not have to worry about my various aging Windows devices dying with a load of files on them. Networking stuff isn't my strong point so please excuse if any of this stuff is basic basic. It's sat on my network at home directly plugged into the router, it has a log in for me etc and I can see it, use it. I'm just wondering how vulnerable it is as a device sat plugged into the piece of kit that's connected to the entire planet. I've seen lots of talk about VPNs etc (it comes with Tailscale as a downloadable in the software centre) but is there anything I should be doing if it is indeed pwnable?

Thank you.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Usually by default a consumer router will act as a basic firewall as well in that it won't allow connections initiated from the outside to reach devices on the inside. Unless you've punched a hole in the firewall by configuring port forwarding or something like that to allow you to reach the Synology from outside, an attacker on the Internet will only be able to reach the router itself via your global IP address. As long as the router is secure you're fine, and if it isn't then the Synology isn't your only problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Stupid question time (I apologise, the OP is 10 years old it seems at this point?). I picked up a nice Synology DS218Play recently because I just want a nice little file setup and not have to worry about my various aging Windows devices dying with a load of files on them. Networking stuff isn't my strong point so please excuse if any of this stuff is basic basic. It's sat on my network at home directly plugged into the router, it has a log in for me etc and I can see it, use it. I'm just wondering how vulnerable it is as a device sat plugged into the piece of kit that's connected to the entire planet. I've seen lots of talk about VPNs etc (it comes with Tailscale as a downloadable in the software centre) but is there anything I should be doing if it is indeed pwnable?

Thank you.

Your router should be providing some protection -- they have basic firewalls built in, so random traffic trying to get to devices on the other side will be denied. As long as you don't put the NAS in the DMZ* or use port forwarding to punch a hole in the firewall, it should be good. If you want to access your files from outside your home, there's a Synology app to set that up in a secure way.

*a "feature" that I think most home routers don't even offer anymore, because it just led to people being pwned

Also, Synology runs linux and can be set to auto-update. I'm not sure what the default is -- you should check during setup. Auto-updates are sometimes a problem because they can break the add-on packages like plex etc, at least until the add-on updates. But if you want security above everything else, you should do that.

A VPN won't help at all. At least not an easy off-the-shelf setup like you see on every youtube video sponsor ad. Following the basic instructions for VPN services will put software on your PC to use the VPN, and won't affect / protect anything else on your home network. VPNs aren't really

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OP hasn't been active ITT for almost a decade.

I know mods/admins seem to be working on re-creating megathreads for some of the forums, so I'm wondering if it's time we got a new digital packrat thread?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I think a new thread is probably a good idea and has been for a while, it would just take someone doing the work to put a new first post together.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Eletriarnation posted:

Usually by default a consumer router will act as a basic firewall as well in that it won't allow connections initiated from the outside to reach devices on the inside. Unless you've punched a hole in the firewall by configuring port forwarding or something like that to allow you to reach the Synology from outside, an attacker on the Internet will only be able to reach the router itself via your global IP address. As long as the router is secure you're fine, and if it isn't then the Synology isn't your only problem.

Klyith posted:

Your router should be providing some protection -- they have basic firewalls built in, so random traffic trying to get to devices on the other side will be denied. As long as you don't put the NAS in the DMZ* or use port forwarding to punch a hole in the firewall, it should be good. If you want to access your files from outside your home, there's a Synology app to set that up in a secure way.

*a "feature" that I think most home routers don't even offer anymore, because it just led to people being pwned

Also, Synology runs linux and can be set to auto-update. I'm not sure what the default is -- you should check during setup. Auto-updates are sometimes a problem because they can break the add-on packages like plex etc, at least until the add-on updates. But if you want security above everything else, you should do that.

Thank you, much appreciated. No port forwarding has been done and I'll check my router firewall later when I get home to be sure.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I know mods/admins seem to be working on re-creating megathreads for some of the forums, so I'm wondering if it's time we got a new digital packrat thread?
There's a lot of spillover from the homelab thread in terms of content and discussion but at the same time this thread is intended as a more accessible thread meant for people that just need to store their Linux ISOs and family photos somewhere other than a cloud provider that can go poof anytime. An OP with updated recommended models of prebuilt NAS options and NAS software RAID options should be sufficient enough for newcomers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah that would own, honestly. I kind of gave up and need to take another crack at it, in particular links to good guides to do even the relatively basic command line ssh access and setting up keys so you can connect remotely, open ports etc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

There's a lot of spillover from the homelab thread in terms of content and discussion but at the same time this thread is intended as a more accessible thread meant for people that just need to store their Linux ISOs and family photos somewhere other than a cloud provider that can go poof anytime. An OP with updated recommended models of prebuilt NAS options and NAS software RAID options should be sufficient enough for newcomers.
There's also a lot overlap with the self-hosting thread, but at the same time I think all of them are unique enough that they can be their own megathreads.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Plex is, when you think about it, not that far away from being something that could be called a scam, in that you're paying money for them letting you use code already built into the program using an API from Intel that's freely available to anyone who cares to look it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be possible to flip the switch using dtrace -w (destructie mode).

you’re paying for something that’s in active development, has apps for everything, has a host of features built up over years, and will probably be here in 5 years unlike the flavour-of-the-month OSS project du jour

maybe i’d have an issue if they took away the lifetime option because gently caress another subscription at this point, but as it stands i’m not averse to paying for software

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I decided to redo my Drive setup for the billionth time because a big raidz2 pool had poo poo iops and subjects me to the noise of all my drives thrashing at once and the unRAID user share doesn't do posix ACLs.

Now I decided to split my big mostly WORM data (like media) into a MergerFS with snapraid. And my smaller more active data into a zfs mirror.

Snapraid has some big upsides and big downsides compared to something like unRAID, but hopefully splitting the data like this will be good for my use case.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Saukkis posted:

Just build a disk stand.

NSFW that poo poo. Yuck!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Generic Monk posted:

you’re paying for something that’s in active development, has apps for everything, has a host of features built up over years, and will probably be here in 5 years unlike the flavour-of-the-month OSS project du jour

maybe i’d have an issue if they took away the lifetime option because gently caress another subscription at this point, but as it stands i’m not averse to paying for software

I think you're biased because you already have a lifetime pass, which is fine. Plex was fine / good for a really long time. Its slow as poo poo lately with medium+ sized libraries and has a bunch of anti-consumer dark patterns these days and jellyfin is subjectively better except in the "available on all platforms" department. That said it (jellyfin) runs great on android and android is ubiquitous so its a hard argument to make.

There is absolutely no reason to pay for a media server these days.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 29, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
pitch me jellyfin over plex, is it more resource intensive? do i need to run it in a container or whatever, is it user friendly?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CoolCab posted:

pitch me jellyfin over plex, is it more resource intensive? do i need to run it in a container or whatever, is it user friendly?
You can use AMD gpus for transcoding.

I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but have been meaning to run it side by side with plex for a while.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

CoolCab posted:

pitch me jellyfin over plex, is it more resource intensive?

The opposite in my experience, i have a medium-large(?) sized library of several TB and at least a few years ago plex was extremely slow to tab through my library to find something to watch, same with search. Jellyfin is as you expect and basically instantaneous. Its basically an identical UX from the admin side, has containers you can use or not, lots of plugins etc.

I dunno how easy or not it is to share with other people outside my domain as mine is for household only but it seems easy enough? I watch it when traveling through a wireguard tunnel and i have a firestick thats basically fully configured so i don't have to do any setup, i just plug it into a hotel TV or whatever, join the wifi and off to the races.

I will say getting wireguard working on the firestick was a bit of a pain but you could throw a proxy in front of jellyfin and just connect to it directly if thats your jam, I'm always a bit uncomfortable doing that.

Also I watch / transcode 4k content just fine (e.g. barely) on my old as poo poo CPU on the media server, some 10+ year old xeon with none of the modern CPU/GPU hardware encoders so I'd be surprised if anyone had issues there.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 29, 2022

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I can add regarding Jellyfin is that the Windows server has problems that the Linux server does not. The ‘resume watching’ feature would completely fail from Windows and it worked fine from Linux. I joined the Discord server, asked around, and ended up buying a machine to dedicate to nas and Linux sever duties. The devs are all running Linux, so MacOS and Windows servers are the bastard children. Works great now!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is it pretty easy to run Jellyfin alongside Plex? Can I keep my plex DB/Media going while trying out Jellyfin for my personal use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have a need to back up 30-40TB.

What's the cheapest way to do this on the cloud? I don't want to pay for, or need, anyone else to download the files. Just need access myself.

I'm also open to storage lower than 30TB, if it's sufficiently cheaper to consider working with less.

Goons are always totally on point for tech questions. Thank you :)

the best I've found in my personal research is Mega, but idk if they're reputable.