Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Have you considered Unraid?

They’re running a Cyber Monday sale. https://unraid.net/cyber-weekend-2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
There is also Snapraid. Little more hands on than unpaid but it is free.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mofabio posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of RAID. I've been managing mdadm and now ZFS clusters on DIY NASes and I'm starting to realize that the downsides (even drive wear so everything fails around the same time, the potential for loving a whole cluster at once by user error, can't physically just move a drive to another computer and use it there, can't just give a drive to a friend, difficult expandability, can't stagger backups across the drives meaning the least-important data is as protected as the most-important in the cluster) outweigh the upsides (automated redundancy vs an rsync tangle, JBOD).

I'm using an SBC that only has power for 2 SATA HDDs, so part of the reason I'm thinking of switching to single-drive ZFS is so only one drive has to spin up at a time, rather than slamming the rail accelerating four+ platters at once.

Anyone else "downgrade" to just a bunch of drives?

I went from a pretty basic proxmox install to unraid a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I went from a pretty basic proxmox install to unraid a couple of years ago and never looked back.

How was that better than the basic proxmox? Never used unraid and from the website it's not clear (to me) why would I want it over some other solutions.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Volguus posted:

How was that better than the basic proxmox? Never used unraid and from the website it's not clear (to me) why would I want it over some other solutions.
unRAID does something you can't quite duplicate anywhere else yet. It lets you treat all your drives as independent file systems, but it also groups them up into one file system with one or two parity drives.

I'd say the closest analogy is mergerFS plus SnapRaid, but it does a few things differently:

• In unRAID the parity is updated real time and is drive based instead of file based.
  • I would say unRAID gives you much better control of which drives are written to when writing to the merged file system.
  • It is built onto a pretty decent appliance OS web interface for non enterprise use. IMO the interface is way better than OpenMediaVault, but with less advanced control than FreeNAS.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, interesting, thanks. So, some kind of a RAID, but not quite.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've had to recover a 12TB drive recently in Unraid and the process couldn't have been smoother - I could start the array without the missing drive and it would be simulated using the parity drive. The next day, I plugged in a new 12TB drive and Unraid rebuilt it in about 24 hours, all while my docker containers were running without issue.

Don't drop a drive on basement pavement, kids.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
UnRAID is having a Black Friday sale BTW. 30% off the pro license and nice upgrade prices.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mofabio posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of RAID. I've been managing mdadm and now ZFS clusters on DIY NASes and I'm starting to realize that the downsides (even drive wear so everything fails around the same time, the potential for loving a whole cluster at once by user error, can't physically just move a drive to another computer and use it there, can't just give a drive to a friend, difficult expandability, can't stagger backups across the drives meaning the least-important data is as protected as the most-important in the cluster) outweigh the upsides (automated redundancy vs an rsync tangle, JBOD).

I'm using an SBC that only has power for 2 SATA HDDs, so part of the reason I'm thinking of switching to single-drive ZFS is so only one drive has to spin up at a time, rather than slamming the rail accelerating four+ platters at once.

Anyone else "downgrade" to just a bunch of drives?

Just out of interest, how many years do you generally run a set of drives before replacing them with a new set / upgrading to a new server?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone have a data recovery service for a mechanical hard drive failure that they can recommend?

It's a Seagate Barracuda from an old iMac, it sounds like the heads might have failed.

There's so many different vendors and places that seem like scams/bait-and-switch operations that it's hard to get a sense of what's legit. Desert Data Recovery in AZ seems like it has a good reputation from some Reddit threads, but that's still only based on a few recommendations i've found. There doesn't seem to be one go-to vendor.

I'm in VA if that makes a difference, or if anyone knows of something local.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Any good Black Friday deals on drives or storage hardware?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Talorat posted:

I haven't looked extensively but Amazon has a lot of sales on WD stuff.
20TB Elements $330: https://smile.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-External-external-storage/dp/B09VCXWPQG
16TB Elements $240: https://smile.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Drive-Compatible-WDBWLG0160HBK-NESN/dp/B08KTRKB6S

There's also some discounts on the Red Plus and Pro drives on the WD sale landing page which has a huge URL:
drat, look at that huge URL, WD black friday deals on amazon

There's probably some more around, I know I got an email from WD's store last night for "up to 50% off" but most of the products they had on sale were about the same or more expensive than the amazon ones right now. Probably worth a look.
https://www.westerndigital.com/promo/black-friday

There's likely to be some good hardware sales on Cyber Monday as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuI=&skuId=6427995

I picked up a 18 TB easy store from bestbuy yesterday for $279. They're still that price right now.

This is also still going on, and according to shucks.top is the all time low price for an 18TB

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Another storage question for today.

I'm on a Mac, which filesystem is better for an external hard drive these days, HFS or APFS?

I'm consolidating all my old external hard drives into one new 5tb external. I'm a little worried that if I choose HFS that Apple will deprecate it and i'll have to reformat. APFS is also 'new' and I've heard some people still don't trust it 100%, but maybe those are just ubernerd worryowrts.

Any opinions?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

frogbs posted:

I'm on a Mac, which filesystem is better for an external hard drive these days, HFS or APFS?

I'm consolidating all my old external hard drives into one new 5tb external. I'm a little worried that if I choose HFS that Apple will deprecate it and i'll have to reformat. APFS is also 'new' and I've heard some people still don't trust it 100%, but maybe those are just ubernerd worryowrts.

Any opinions?

I'd worry a lot more about a random external drive failing in physical ways than about APFS issues taking it out, if that helps?
I'd also format it exFAT so I could use it on more computers, but :shrug:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Wibla posted:

Just out of interest, how many years do you generally run a set of drives before replacing them with a new set / upgrading to a new server?

I think about 5 years. Unraid looks perfect and I wish I'd picked it a couple years ago, last refresh. It took forever to get my bash scripts, the arr's, a Logitech Media Server, beets, custom qbittorrent all working the way I like it, and I don't want to have to reinstall an OS and learn docker and learn another linux and set everything up again. Hindsight.

My setup now is an Odroid H2 SBC, which has only 2 power lanes for SATA. I'm currently committing the mortal ZFS sin, and running half the array off USB3, meaning I effectively have zero parity right now. So my plan is to plug in an NVMe-->5x SATA card, shuck the externals, up the voltage to the SBC from 14V to 19V, daisy-chain SATA power such that most of the time only one drive per rail is active, use ZFS to plug the write hole, and set up a unison cronjob to clone whatever data I never want to lose across 0, 1, or 2 drives. And then, a few years later, replace it with something sensible.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Talorat posted:

14tb WD or Segate drives for $209 seems pretty solid

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-plus-sata-3-5-hdd#WD140EFGX
https://www.newegg.com/seagate-ironwolf-st14000vn0008-14tb/p/N82E16822184759?Item=N82E16822184759

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Would it make sense to pay $10 more for those or shuck easystore drives? Don't care about the effort or the money, just curious if there is any difference between them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

Would it make sense to pay $10 more for those or shuck easystore drives? Don't care about the effort or the money, just curious if there is any difference between them.

Check the warranties. Externals may have 2 or 3 years, vs internal drives getting 3 or 5. Plus there's the whole shucking possibly causing warranty trouble, though I've seen plenty of people say they were able to put the drive back in the enclosure and get the warranty just fine.

IMO shucking externals is only worth it when the price is significantly less, such that a drive failure means you don't really care whether you have a warranty or not.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

frogbs posted:

Any opinions?

exFat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ordered 3 16TB Red Pros, seemed to have the best price/GB and I like the pros being 7200rpm. I currently have 4 HGST 7200 6TB and I'm closing in on using up all my space so that'll be good to get those in. Options are limited in Canada, and I did consider getting a few of the 14TB easystores from bestbuy but it wasn't a huge discount from basic drives.

Going to spring for the Unraid pro upgrade too and slap a couple more SSDs in for caching stuff.

Anyone transfer their unraid usb boot? Thinking about getting a new usb stick for this, I've always been a bit nervous about the one I have mine on, it's a 4GB OCZ and kind of ancient now. It doesn't get a lot of writes so should be fine, but still.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Computer viking posted:

I'd worry a lot more about a random external drive failing in physical ways than about APFS issues taking it out, if that helps?
I'd also format it exFAT so I could use it on more computers, but :shrug:

In my experience exFat has been a data black hole. If you initially format the drive on Windows with exFat it will not be readable on most Macs (post Catalina I think). I think MacOS can only mount partitions with a very specific block size.

I’ve also heard it lacks some of the janitorial features of more modern formats like HFS and APFS.

And yes, I’ll be backing this external drive up offsite as well in case it fails.

Edit: lol, exFat is not journaled, so I’m not going to rely on it for anything remotely important.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 26, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

APFS makes no promises about data integrity nor even using checksumming, with Apple engineers instead proclaiming that users should trust the hardware - because that's worked so well in the past.
Adam Leventhal wrote a series of posts over at dtrace.org about it back around when it came out.

Meanwhile, ZFS on macOS is still an ongoing project, with the aim being to codify it in OpenZFS.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

APFS makes no promises about data integrity nor even using checksumming, with Apple engineers instead proclaiming that users should trust the hardware - because that's worked so well in the past.
Adam Leventhal wrote a series of posts over at dtrace.org about it back around when it came out.

Meanwhile, ZFS on macOS is still an ongoing project, with the aim being to codify it in OpenZFS.

Interesting, thank you for the info! I think I’m going to stick with HFS for now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's kind of an interesting question - does the journaling in HFS+ make it easier to recover in case of damage than the metadata checksums and unspecific "novel copy on write mechanism metadata scheme" of APFS? I have no answers, except that if your backups are good enough it should hopefully not matter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

frogbs posted:

Interesting, thank you for the info! I think I’m going to stick with HFS for now.

Do you need the interoperability of HFS? APFS isn't as good as ZFS, but it sounds better than HFS at least.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

It's kind of an interesting question - does the journaling in HFS+ make it easier to recover in case of damage than the metadata checksums and unspecific "novel copy on write mechanism metadata scheme" of APFS? I have no answers, except that if your backups are good enough it should hopefully not matter.

No, a journaled FS is strictly inferior to the copy-on-write concept. CoW don't have a journal because they don't need it -- all the bad things that a journal tries to prevent simply don't happen if you never alter data in place.

The downsides of CoW in general are performance overhead & fragmentation. For an external HDD I'd generally think those don't matter that much. The only thing I'd have a slight question about is that APFS is described as "optimized of SSD", which raises a possibility that fragmentation might have been low on their priorities -- SSDs don't care about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Journals exist only for crash consistency, and don't work if the underlying disk experiences any number of issues.
Copy-on-write filesystems can achieve the same (better, really) crash consistency by having transactional updates using atomic operations.

APFS seems to have transactionality but whether every single operation used is atomic is an implementation detail that I'm not sure anyone but Apple engineers know.
EDIT: Err, upon re-reading it, it seems that the APFS isn't transactional at all - so it's strictly worse than HFS+.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 26, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yeah, they was sort of what I was wondering about - I got the impression Apple's was being a bit cagey about just how CoW it actually is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

What makes it extra dubious is that they have fsck_apfs - if a filesystem is atomically transactional with copy-on-write, it by definition can't need a fsck.

Interestingly, I've also had a lost+found show up after a panic I've had on my 2012 Macbook Pro (which is basically a glorified alarm clock, since Apple stopped pushing updates for it).

In the blog post linked above from Adam, he does mention that it's possible that it's only the metadata that's copy-on-write, and also mentioned is a later conversation which seems to indicate that it isn't atomic.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm in the market for a NAS and I am too lazy to build my own. I'm a software engineer and have built many computers over the years, am familiar with different types of RAID, etc, but I really don't want to sink a bunch of time into this and my main use for this thing is just photo storage. I want something I can unbox, plug into a wifi 6 router, and forget about, but I'm open a BYOD solution and I assume that's where I'll probably end up. With black friday/cyber monday deals going on I figure this is as good a time to buy as any. Does anyone have any recs in that space? I skimmed the OP but it said it was last updated in 2012, so I just jumped to the end of the thread...

Edit: I should add I'm looking for around 20 TB of storage overall. Maybe a 4 bay enclosure running RAID 5, but that is not a hard requirement.

armorer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 27, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

armorer posted:

I'm in the market for a NAS and I am too lazy to build my own. I'm a software engineer and have built many computers over the years, am familiar with different types of RAID, etc, but I really don't want to sink a bunch of time into this and my main use for this thing is just photo storage. I want something I can unbox, plug into a wifi 6 router, and forget about, but I'm open a BYOD solution and I assume that's where I'll probably end up. With black friday/cyber monday deals going on I figure this is as good a time to buy as any. Does anyone have any recs in that space? I skimmed the OP but it said it was last updated in 2012, so I just jumped to the end of the thread...

Edit: I should add I'm looking for around 20 TB of storage overall. Maybe a 4 bay enclosure running RAID 5, but that is not a hard requirement.

HPE microserver gen10+ with OS of your choice

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

e.pilot posted:

HPE microserver gen10+ with OS of your choice

Have a good place to buy them and get a decent price?

Also is the v2 worth it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Boner Wad posted:

Have a good place to buy them and get a decent price?

Also is the v2 worth it?

They seem to be pretty consistently decently priced on amazon, there’s a 5% off coupon on the bring your own drives E2224 model right now. That’s where I got mine a few years back.

The older gen10 is a little better value if you don’t need the extra processing power or smaller footprint of the gen10+

e: just looked at the prices on the older gen10, they’re selling for sub $300 now with no drives, that’s a crazy good value

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

armorer posted:

but I really don't want to sink a bunch of time into this and my main use for this thing is just photo storage. I want something I can unbox, plug into a wifi 6 router, and forget about

So just a basic Synology box? That seems to be what you're looking for. If you're just doing basic storage stuff and not running lots of add-ons or docker containers or other homelabs stuff, you can turn on automatic updates and not have to do any active maintenance. Actually forget that it exists until it emails you that a drive has died 5 years from now.

OTOH if you do want to do homelabs stuff, these prices

e.pilot posted:

e: just looked at the prices on the older gen10, they’re selling for sub $300 now with no drives, that’s a crazy good value
are pretty hard to ignore. Cheaper than a DS920+ and far more capable.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Klyith posted:

So just a basic Synology box? That seems to be what you're looking for. If you're just doing basic storage stuff and not running lots of add-ons or docker containers or other homelabs stuff, you can turn on automatic updates and not have to do any active maintenance. Actually forget that it exists until it emails you that a drive has died 5 years from now.

OTOH if you do want to do homelabs stuff, these prices

are pretty hard to ignore. Cheaper than a DS920+ and far more capable.

Forgetting that it exists until it emails me that a drive has died is pretty much exactly what I want. That said, I will look into both options and see what I'm missing if I opt for the boring appliance. I have way too many hobbies that I sink time into these days, and while I have plenty of technical understanding to get more out of a cheaper and more capable device, I have very little motivation for it in this case!

I really just need a thing to dump a bunch of data on that will do that one job well.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I get this goes against the ethos of this thread, but I'm looking for advice about moving away from a NAS.

I've been running a home NAS for probably 15 years, from Drobo to N40L running Ubuntu+ZFS, to the same N40L running Xpenology. I have 12tb of redundant capacity in there, but anything of irreplacable value is backed up on other cloud services. Right now this is all really aging hardware and a bit of a Heath Robinson setup - I have four 2tb internal SATA drives (some of those may be the whole 15 years old), and when I was running low on space a couple of years back but not wanting to invest a lot, I mounted three 2tb 2.5" USB drives I already had inside the case (not even shucked, just hooked up to a USB hub). Given the age of the hardware and hackiness of this setup I also have an external 12tb which I use Synology's USB copy feature to plug in occasionally and mirror the lot to a cold backup.

With the combination of recently becoming a dad, moving to an (inefficient) house with lots of improvements to make, and rising energy costs (UK) I'm finding it harder to justify the expense/complication of running an extra box 24/7 for the amount I actually need to access it. Factors 1 and 2 also mean I don't really want to spend over the odds on a replacement solution.

I'm thinking of just moving back to a single big (12tb) drive in my PC that I can just boot/WoL when I need to access something. Obviously I'd be losing redundancy here, but would be hoping to still do something similar to the USB Copy for a cold backup. Is there a Windows feature/3rd party software that can replace Synology's USB Copy feature? i.e. not doing a full disk clone or taking images, but mirroring delta updates to an external filesystem.

Alternatively are there any "better" solutions that would markedly reduce the energy footprint (~60w) without being a large investment? My option B was to also pick up a 2-bay Synology DS220+, but that would go from "£200 for a 12tb drive" to "£500 for a 12tb drive and new enclosure", and while it would be better for redundancy I'd lose my cold backup unless I spent another £200 for another drive. Even if the DS220+ ran at 15w (quoted, but I don't think that includes the drives), it would take 5.5 years to turn a profit on that outlay.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Froist posted:

I'm thinking of just moving back to a single big (12tb) drive in my PC that I can just boot/WoL when I need to access something. Obviously I'd be losing redundancy here, but would be hoping to still do something similar to the USB Copy for a cold backup. Is there a Windows feature/3rd party software that can replace Synology's USB Copy feature? i.e. not doing a full disk clone or taking images, but mirroring delta updates to an external filesystem.

1. You can use Windows' built in File History to do backups. Dead simple, multiple versions of files kept. But I think it's real dumb about deltas and tends to over-consume drive space.

2. If you can nerd out with a little bit of command line, robocopy or rsync can do this type of thing. I rolled my own backup system based on robocopy for several years (then I quit windows this year). Probably I should have been using rsync the whole time -- it has built-in options to do what I was doing without all the batch hackery. But my thing worked well enough.

3. Various other backup software does this stuff well. Incremental backups are a pretty standard feature.

Re: redundancy, if you want to get 2 drives you can mirror them using ntfs raid or storage spaces in windows.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll soon be migrating to a new NAS (Synology DS918+ to Asustor Lockerstor Gen2) and I'm wondering about three things.

Which file system should I use?
The NAS supports EXT4 Btrfs, NTFS, HFS+ and exFAT. I've heard of NTFS and exFAT from Windows but am not familiar with the others. As mentioned above, my devices mostly run Windows.

Should I enable NFS?
The manual says that, if enabling NFS, I "will be able to access your NAS via UNIX or Linux operating systems". My desktop runs Windows but I do have a media player that I believe runs a version of Linux (currently I'm using SMB to connect from it to my old NAS).

Can I go from Raid0 straight to Raid5?
Ideally I'd put 3x 10tb in Raid0 in the new NAS, copy over all the data, add a fourth drive to the new NAS and change it from raid0 to raid5 while retaining all the data on it. Is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the NAS have to be on 24x7? I have Unraid running on a newer Microserver and cut the energy consumption to a third of what it was by running a shutdown script each day at about 3am and then using a £10 TP-Link smart plug to turn it back on each evening, with the BIOS configured to boot whenever AC power is restored.