Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tapedump posted:

Is NewEgg still using the nexus argument, or has Wayfair vs South Dakota closed that up already?

Been a month since the ruling...

I would imagine it's going to take a hot minute for states to update their laws to address things. For the moment, NewEgg (and most other online vendors) are continuing to function under whatever policies they had in place a month ago; so generally no tax at NewEgg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I just set up a Synology DS218play and moved my music library to it. I can stream the music to my computer using the web interface or my phone using the DS Audio app, but I want to use it to directly send audio to AirPlay devices.

At the moment, the only AirPlay destination in my home is my Apple TV (4th gen, model A1625, running tvOS 11.4.1). The ATV shows up as an Airplay destination in both the Synology web interface and the DS Audio iOS app, but when I select it, playback stops and the apps do nothing, not responding to play/next/back or other commands until I switch the playback destination back to the local device the app is running on. The ATV works fine as an AirPlay destination from my phone and laptop otherwise (i.e. from iTunes, Spotify, the OSs themselves, etc), so it seems like the ATV is functioning properly.

I've also noticed that, in tvOS, in Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote App and Devices, my laptop and phone are listed as paired devices with the ATV, whereas the Synology is nowhere to be seen. If I unpair my phone/laptop with the ATV, the next time I try to Airplay to it from that device (not from Synology's apps), the ATV will display an onscreen PIN that it forces me to input on the device before Airplay will work (there doesn't seem to be a setting to disable this behavior, but if there is one, let me know). I assume this means the Synology is failing to properly ask the ATV to pair with it, or something, and that's why it sees the ATV as a destination yet playback isn't working.

I have two questions:

1. Is my analysis of the likely issue correct? If so, how do I force the Synology to ask the ATV to pair? My Google searching is coming up fruitless and I can't see an option in either Synology application anywhere.

2. Honestly, I don't actually care if there's an incompatibility between the NAS and the ATV specifically, because I don't intend to stream audio to the ATV permanently, I'm just using the ATV as a testbed since it's the only AirPlay destination in my home right now. My intended use case is to stream from the NAS to an Airport Express (for a speaker in one room) and/or an Airplay-enabled stereo receiver (for another room), so if those things will work, I'm golden. But I don't want to buy those things necessarily if there's a bigger issue with the Synology sending audio directly to an AirPlay device. Will those things work, even if there's an issue with the ATV? (Again, my Google skills are kind of failing here.)

Any help is appreciated--thanks!

Scythe fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 23, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I use a QNAP with my Apple TV. However I use the QNAP app for it. Airplay by non-apple devices seem to break (or be broken by apple) so I use the app. Is there is synology app that does the same job?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Devian666 posted:

I use a QNAP with my Apple TV. However I use the QNAP app for it. Airplay by non-apple devices seem to break (or be broken by apple) so I use the app. Is there is synology app that does the same job?

Plex not an option?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There is no audio-only Synology app for tvOS (there is a Synology Video app for ATV, though, but I no idea how well it works since I don't have any video). Plex might work for the ATV itself, but that won't work for an Airport Express (which will be hooked directly to a dumb powered speaker) or for a stereo receiver with built-in Airplay.

This should work per Synology's own site and blog, but like every forum post I'm finding in my searches is from 5 years ago. I guess no one is trying to just Airplay audio from a personal music library anymore?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Plex not an option?

Plex is an option, transcoding needs a bit more NAS cpu power though. Plex won't do streaming to an airport airpress which is an issue in this case.

For airplay and streaming music I think a lot of people were put off by compatibility issues and the general pain in the arse to get everything working. In the last 5 years there's been a rise in wireless speakers (either battery or mains powered). At home I stream to an apple tv with the output to the AV receiver, and to a wireless bose speaker in my bedroom. My set up has been easier to configure than itunes on a NAS.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you want to transcode there is no advice better than "build your own NAS". Seriously. The ARM cores in common synology/QNAP boxes sucks poo poo, you can either go with Intel QuickSync or AMD VCE (i.e. hardware encoders) or just a beefy CPU that can do software encoding (potentially higher quality) but an ARM core is not going to cut the mustard here. You can build a vastly more powerful box, in the same footprint, potentially the same power budget, for less money.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I mean, infuse can play pretty much anything on an appletv (especially the 4K) without transcoding and it supports smb shares.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you want to transcode there is no advice better than "build your own NAS". Seriously. The ARM cores in common synology/QNAP boxes sucks poo poo, you can either go with Intel QuickSync or AMD VCE (i.e. hardware encoders) or just a beefy CPU that can do software encoding (potentially higher quality) but an ARM core is not going to cut the mustard here. You can build a vastly more powerful box, in the same footprint, potentially the same power budget, for less money.

I'm using two CentOS virtual machines on a Skylake i3 that are both running on a CentOS host using KVM. One VM is a Plex box and the other is an Emby box. Both point to the same video library via samba.

Can I turn on Intel QuickSync decoding for both boxes, since they're both emulated from a recent Intel CPU? Or will QuickSync be borked due to KVM/qemu emulation?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

apropos man posted:

I'm using two CentOS virtual machines on a Skylake i3 that are both running on a CentOS host using KVM. One VM is a Plex box and the other is an Emby box. Both point to the same video library via samba.

Can I turn on Intel QuickSync decoding for both boxes, since they're both emulated from a recent Intel CPU? Or will QuickSync be borked due to KVM/qemu emulation?

After all that whining from Wendell, it turns out that Intel's iGPU (igvt-g) is the only consumer product on the market that supports SR-IOV (or some equivalent capability in software). It's just not on his radar because he only uses Intel server grade hardware without the iGPU, and AMD consumer/server products, which lack iGPUs entirely. i3s will support it, with ECC capability to boot. Hell, it's literally on Atoms these days. And today's Atoms are (much) better than a Core2Quad. Seriously.

Golly, if all he wants to do is play his GOG games and emulated Win95 titles, an iGPU would do nicely, if he bought the appropriate hardware instead of (iGPU-less) Threadripper/Xeons and a dGPU (that didn't support SR-IOV). And for anything more than that, he's going to need a dedicated dGPU anyway... but mah xeons. Dat 2.8 GHz gaming performance :confuoot:

However, with the video encoder specifically you are in fairly untested waters there (welcome to the world of iommu passthrough, it's all command lines here). Follow this guide and cross your fingers. But Intel claim they've tested it and it works.

https://github.com/intel/gvt-linux/wiki/GVTg_Setup_Guide

An alternate approach would be to pass the iGPU through to a single VM. Perhaps you can do something that will allow one or the other to farm out to a third VM that actually does the encoding?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 24, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Nah, gently caress it! I'll just stick to letting KVM provision my cores and keep running software transcoding. I get a good enough picture on software decode. I guess the main thing that hardware decoding would bring is the fact that some of the perfectly legit video files I 'find' on the Internet sometimes cause the CPU load to go full bastard, whilst oftentimes the CPU transcodes at maybe 10% load. I don't know if it's the container or the video format but I can sometimes watch a 1080p stream and look at htop in an SSH session and it's doing almost nothing and other times the (virtualised) cores are getting hammered. I haven't tested extensively but even a high quality 8Gb mkv may run quite easily compared to a 1.6Gb avi file hammering the cores. As I say, I don't think it's necessarily the container format that does it. But I don't know enough about video encoding to work out which is the best type of file to download, so I'll just stick to letting Plex sometimes make my CPU hurt.

I'm running a couple of other VM's on there also, to serve up personal files and keep automated backups and stuff, so I don't want to gently caress with the CPU pinning/passthrough too much. Thanks for the detailed reply though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Software de-/en-coding gives the best possible result, because the presets supported by the hardware devices aren't at all flexible and are designed to be "good enough for consumers" which usually means that John and Jane Smith can't tell the difference because they understandably don't give a flying gently caress about video encoding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

apropos man posted:

Nah, gently caress it! I'll just stick to letting KVM provision my cores and keep running software transcoding. I get a good enough picture on software decode. I guess the main thing that hardware decoding would bring is the fact that some of the perfectly legit video files I 'find' on the Internet sometimes cause the CPU load to go full bastard, whilst oftentimes the CPU transcodes at maybe 10% load. I don't know if it's the container or the video format but I can sometimes watch a 1080p stream and look at htop in an SSH session and it's doing almost nothing and other times the (virtualised) cores are getting hammered. I haven't tested extensively but even a high quality 8Gb mkv may run quite easily compared to a 1.6Gb avi file hammering the cores. As I say, I don't think it's necessarily the container format that does it. But I don't know enough about video encoding to work out which is the best type of file to download, so I'll just stick to letting Plex sometimes make my CPU hurt.

I'm running a couple of other VM's on there also, to serve up personal files and keep automated backups and stuff, so I don't want to gently caress with the CPU pinning/passthrough too much. Thanks for the detailed reply though.

Get rid of the VMs and containerize that poo poo so you have more of your resources available for transcoding.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Matt Zerella posted:

Get rid of the VMs and containerize that poo poo so you have more of your resources available for transcoding.

Man, this is exactly what I was going to post when I got done catching up on the thread and you beat me to it.

Unless apropos man has some specific unmentioned requirements, KVM isn't really bringing anything to the party here except throwing your servers resources in the trash. Docker or whatever is perfect for this kind of stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'm much happier with a Docker setup instead of any virtualization.

Of course, now that I have users trying to transcode 4K HEVC content, even my E5-2620s aren't enough CPU :v: Need to go through and let Plex optimize some more content.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Thermopyle posted:

Man, this is exactly what I was going to post when I got done catching up on the thread and you beat me to it.

Unless apropos man has some specific unmentioned requirements, KVM isn't really bringing anything to the party here except throwing your servers resources in the trash. Docker or whatever is perfect for this kind of stuff.

No requirements apart from I want my home server to run as well as possible ;-)

I'll have a play with Docker. See how I get on with it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

apropos man posted:

No requirements apart from I want my home server to run as well as possible ;-)

I'll have a play with Docker. See how I get on with it.
Any type of virtualization is automatically gonna waste memory and CPU doing scheduling for each kernel you have, whereas jails, zones and presumably LXC (what Docker uses to containerize, since I would argue that docker is more about automation) all run on a single kernel with one scheduler.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Who is this dolt and why would anyone care about him?

Matt Zerella posted:

What about a beefy VM that runs docker?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Moey posted:

Who is this dolt and why would anyone care about him?

What about a beefy VM that runs docker?

If you're running a baremetal hypervisor and that's your only option then sure. But if you're running KVM on top of a distro I'd be trying my hardest to move to docker.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're running a baremetal hypervisor and that's your only option then sure. But if you're running KVM on top of a district I'd be trying my hardest to move to docker.

Yeah, I prefer to run ESXi on my home crap, gives me more flexibility (in my opinion).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Moey posted:

Yeah, I prefer to run ESXi on my home crap, gives me more flexibility (in my opinion).

Go for it. Definitely better than running a bunch of VMs for sonarr/plex/nzbget/homebridge/etc

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
On the scale of "home user" I wouldn't think too hard about resources being wasted to hypervisors so long as your CPU and hypervisor support the hardware passthrough stuff you need. Or even docker to a certain degree, contrary to popular belief Linux can run more than one process at a time without LXC. (I get all the arguments for/against this stuff, but in general: who cares for a home user?)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

On the scale of "home user" I wouldn't think too hard about resources being wasted to hypervisors so long as your CPU and hypervisor support the hardware passthrough stuff you need. Or even docker to a certain degree, contrary to popular belief Linux can run more than one process at a time without LXC. (I get all the arguments for/against this stuff, but in general: who cares for a home user?)

Sure but docker helps keep your main system clean and easier to back up/rebuild in case of an emergency. Back up your compose file and config dirs, your data. If you ever need to rebuild them you're back up and running in way less time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Software de-/en-coding gives the best possible result, because the presets supported by the hardware devices aren't at all flexible and are designed to be "good enough for consumers" which usually means that John and Jane Smith can't tell the difference because they understandably don't give a flying gently caress about video encoding.

You can tune them a little bit, QuickSync supposedly isn't far behind NVENC if you tune the encoder settings properly.

The big problem with software encoding is the heat. Drive life declines exponentially past ~60C. Was talking with one of my inlaws a few weeks ago, he works for a hospital, the AC failed and everything in the server closet hit the 90C range for a few days, two or three weeks later a third of their drives failed. Drives loving hate heat, and software encoding produces a lot more heat, especially if you are going after higher quality encoding.

NVENC is generally considered to be between x264 faster and veryfast quality, so if you're not buckling down and using the slower presets you are better off using NVENC or QuickSync. If you are, you really have to watch the heat.

At first I was looking at doing the super powerful mATX build, like with a X99 or something, but it's just too much heat dumped right into the drives. I think it would be better to do a second mITX build with a super small chassis (eg mini-box m350) than to have everything in one chassis.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

apropos man posted:

Nah, gently caress it! I'll just stick to letting KVM provision my cores and keep running software transcoding. I get a good enough picture on software decode. I guess the main thing that hardware decoding would bring is the fact that some of the perfectly legit video files I 'find' on the Internet sometimes cause the CPU load to go full bastard, whilst oftentimes the CPU transcodes at maybe 10% load. I don't know if it's the container or the video format but I can sometimes watch a 1080p stream and look at htop in an SSH session and it's doing almost nothing and other times the (virtualised) cores are getting hammered. I haven't tested extensively but even a high quality 8Gb mkv may run quite easily compared to a 1.6Gb avi file hammering the cores.

Yeah, I didn't think about that, but if you containerize then both programs can have "native" access to the iGPU for encoding, and be a first-class citizen on the scheduler for encoding/RAM utilization.

In my experience, Emby at least will race through and transcode the whole file (or at least a buffer of a certain size). So yeah, it'll eat 100% right up until it has its buffer ready and then it idles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Sure but docker helps keep your main system clean and easier to back up/rebuild in case of an emergency. Back up your compose file and config dirs, your data. If you ever need to rebuild them you're back up and running in way less time.

This. The whole stack of applications the automation-friendly digital packrat wants to run in 2018 can be a bit fickle. Last time I ran Deluge as a regular package, it would poo poo the bed every few months for no apparent reason.

Containerized, if it ever shits the bed again, instead of cleaning the bed, the whole thing gets incinerated and recreated in two commands.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Based on some previous discussion in the thread I'm looking at moving to duplicacy+Google Drive from Crashplan.

It was simple enough to set up but a bit more memory hungry while running than Crashplan. The issue that I have is that I don't believe it directly tracks deletes between snapshots just changes in existing/new files. So it's not possible to say, "Restore this directory as it looked at 3:12AM last Monday." Instead you say "From the beginning of the prune log restore all files that ever existed in this directory stopping at 3:12AM last Monday" is that correct? If so is there a similar solution that will track deletes or what am I missing?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Based on some previous discussion in the thread I'm looking at moving to duplicacy+Google Drive from Crashplan.

It was simple enough to set up but a bit more memory hungry while running than Crashplan. The issue that I have is that I don't believe it directly tracks deletes between snapshots just changes in existing/new files. So it's not possible to say, "Restore this directory as it looked at 3:12AM last Monday." Instead you say "From the beginning of the prune log restore all files that ever existed in this directory stopping at 3:12AM last Monday" is that correct? If so is there a similar solution that will track deletes or what am I missing?

Ok I played with this a bit at home and found the magic of -delete

code:
$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=always bs=1M count=1
$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=tobedeleted bs=1M count=1
$ duplicacy init test gcd://duplicacy/tso/test
$ duplicacy backup -stats -threads 4
$ rm tobedeleted
$ duplicacy backup -stats -threads 4
$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=lateadd bs=1M count=1
$ time duplicacy backup -stats -threads 4
$ duplicacy restore -r 1
$ ls
always  lateadd  tobedeleted
$ duplicacy restore -r 1 -delete
$ ls
always  tobedeleted
Faith restored.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It might be worth looking at borgbackup also, before you commit to duplicacy.

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

It's in the standard repos on mainstream Linux distros and I've been using it a while to prepare my cloud backups before rsync --delete to the cloud.

I use the --delete parameter to remove old shards that borg provisions, otherwise you'll be left with a load of extraneous shards of data on S3/Crashplan/Google Drive/wherever you put your stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna look into running Plex and Emby in Docker instead of in a VM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVENC is generally considered to be between x264 faster and veryfast quality, so if you're not buckling down and using the slower presets you are better off using NVENC or QuickSync. If you are, you really have to watch the heat.
But if you're not using slow or slower presets, you don't get threading, do you?
Also, if you're having your CPU heat up your disks, isn't it because there isn't a proper airflow through the case with ingress and egress?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

But if you're not using slow or slower presets, you don't get threading, do you?
Also, if you're having your CPU heat up your disks, isn't it because there isn't a proper airflow through the case with ingress and egress?

Ran a quick test with Handbrake and I'm getting threading on veryfast. AFAIK it's been that way for a long time.

If you're running in a big roomy ATX case, sure. Smaller NAS-style chassis might not be as good at it. Also, if you have it in a sealed closet or something, like that guy who posted maybe 5-10 pages ago, you could be moving air through it and it heats up anyway.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I have a Seagate BlackArmor NAS (2 x 2TB). When I set it up, I chose to have both disks as duplicates of eachother. No clue what that RAID mode is called.

Before going on holiday, I shut it down by holding down the powerbutton on the front. After it finished shutting down, I unplugged it.

Coming back from holiday, I connected everything again and powered it up. Lo and behold; I get the Disk Manager screen and it tells me both drives are "foreign" and have to be cleaned before install first.

When I try to shut it down with the powerbutton, nothing happens. It won't shut down. The web interface doesn't offer a shutdown option either. That doesn't inspire confidence.

As for the data - it contains family photos and music. The photos are backed up to Amazon Drive, my other NAS (Synology DS216J) and a 3TB external disk, so I'm not worried about those.

However, with the music, there are a bunch of downloads that were available for a limited time and I didn't back them up to the external disk. I actually planned to move everything over to my other NAS after my holiday, go figure :v:

How hosed am I?

I've got Windows 10 on a desktop machine that has room for a few more drives if necessary so I can put one of the disks in there to see if I can reach it. I also have a SATA/PATA dock. I also have an external enclosure with USB.

I also have a spare desktop machine that I can probably cajole into running some flavor of Linux.

Is it just a matter of hooking up an ext2 reader or will that make things worse?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ended up buying a Synology DS418 about two months ago, holy hell, I just turned on my old i5 file server that lives in a 4U case, it is like night and day having this tiny little toaster box next to this hulking behemoth of yesteryear. And the noise comparison, wow. What a polished product, I wish I'd bought one of these four years ago instead of building a giant loving server that's a hassle to maintain.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So finally got my NAS up and running, 3 4TB WD Reds with FreeNAS on an internal USB stick. So far I've created SMB shares and added them as network drives to some PCs and have a UNIX share mounted to my Lubuntu box that I seem to have full access to, just need to add it to my fstab next time I'm there.

Now I need to start actually using the thing. It looks like building an Rsync script and cron'ing it to run every night would be sufficient for Linux, but what are some good programs to backup/mirror directories from Windows? Like some set-and-forget stuff suitable for Mom's PC. All the 'Top 10 Backup Program' lists I'm finding are 10 years old.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Try the built-in File History in Windows 10. Just point it at an SMB share. It works pretty well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is SyncToy still kicking around? That usually works well.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Takes No Damage posted:

So finally got my NAS up and running, 3 4TB WD Reds with FreeNAS on an internal USB stick. So far I've created SMB shares and added them as network drives to some PCs and have a UNIX share mounted to my Lubuntu box that I seem to have full access to, just need to add it to my fstab next time I'm there.

Now I need to start actually using the thing. It looks like building an Rsync script and cron'ing it to run every night would be sufficient for Linux, but what are some good programs to backup/mirror directories from Windows? Like some set-and-forget stuff suitable for Mom's PC. All the 'Top 10 Backup Program' lists I'm finding are 10 years old.

For my server I did go with a USB stick initially but sticks has a serious problem of wear. Much limited write compared to SSD.

Caching on the stick was a major concern enough I went to SSD but I hope it was just my paranoia and not real.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Ended up buying a Synology DS418 about two months ago, holy hell, I just turned on my old i5 file server that lives in a 4U case, it is like night and day having this tiny little toaster box next to this hulking behemoth of yesteryear. And the noise comparison, wow. What a polished product, I wish I'd bought one of these four years ago instead of building a giant loving server that's a hassle to maintain.

I feel the same way. The storage box at home was in a large case running raid 5. Due to the power use I didn't always have it on. Just when I was working on projects. Going to a QNAP 2 bay the power use is ridiculously low so it's not an issue being on all the time. Also I get more utility out of it with it serving media throughout the house, docker containers, download management, etc.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

EVIL Gibson posted:

For my server I did go with a USB stick initially but sticks has a serious problem of wear. Much limited write compared to SSD.

Caching on the stick was a major concern enough I went to SSD but I hope it was just my paranoia and not real.

It's a major concern. I burned the entire life expectancy of an 850 EVO doing caching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

EVIL Gibson posted:

Caching on a USB stick that's probably running on a USB 2.0 slot isn't really gonna help you, anyhow. But, yeah, do move logs off the USB stick, or you'll eventually burn it out needlessly. Without logs, though, a normal USB stick can happily last basically forever, since FreeNAS rarely bothers to write back anything outside of saving configurations and doing updates.