Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nerox posted:

I understood some of these words.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

nerox posted:

Simpler, because even rereading what I wrote it looks like a mess.
I setup a $5/month cloud server with a reachable IPV4 address to just passthrough traffic it received from the internet to a local machine. The local machine wasn't reachable directly from the internet, but did have a VPN connection between it and the $5 month cloud server. Functionally this was acting as a load balancer, but not actually balancing anything.

This worked, but I think a better and easier solution for most people would be to find tutorials to do these 3 more typical things.
Setup a $5/month VPS
Setup VPN so the cloud VPS is reachable from your local devices
Setup a normal reverse proxy on the VPS (linuxserver\letsencrypt docker container would be my recommendation to do this).

Even more simpler,

quote:

Get a $5/mo VPS and forward traffic to its public IP back to your gear through a VPN tunnel.
This worked OK for me with Digital Ocean, very good connection Digital Ocean's DC, and enough CPU for the VPN tunnel.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm gonna try to be patient for a few days and see if my ISP can help me out before I start getting creative with it. Still have at least 15 hours of copying data before I'm ready to put the hardware in the case!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

THF13 posted:

I experimented with a $5 droplet to pass through traffic to a local VM, it worked pretty well.

Connected a local Ubuntu VM and the droplet with OpenVPN, setup the droplet to passthrough traffic from the WAN over the VPN to my UbuntuVM.
I tested it a bit with Emby, site was just as responsive and could do about 70mbps of bandwidth, plenty for several streams.

I had pretty ideal conditions though, gigabit FIOS to a nearby DO Datacenter, with my test user also nearby on gigabit FIOS. Also probably simpler to terminate the SSL connection at the droplet, then reverse proxy over the VPN to whatever internal devices/applications you wanted.

I'd be curious to read about the throughput of wireguard vs OpenVPN in your setup. They brag that wireguard is a lot more performant.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volguus posted:

I'd be curious to read about the throughput of wireguard vs OpenVPN in your setup. They brag that wireguard is a lot more performant.

It is still suggested by Wireguard not to use in a production environment since development is still underway.

If it's not finalized or has been made available for all platforms (no official windows client. You need to use openvpn's tun/tap drivers to talk through WG)

It is a very exciting project nevertheless since I still hate the fact OpenVPN just sucks on multithreading.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

OpenVPN just sucks

Setting up IPsec using strongSwan IKEv2 takes about the same amount of effort and performs significantly better.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for a 2-bay NAS? I already have a 6-bay QNAP, but I am moving and need something smaller in size/bulkiness for my new place. I plan on doing RAID 1 with 10TB drives.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for a 2-bay NAS? I already have a 6-bay QNAP, but I am moving and need something smaller in size/bulkiness for my new place. I plan on doing RAID 1 with 10TB drives.

I'll throw out the WD PR2100 because it can also be a PMS server. If you didn't need that functionality then that basically leaves you with any other NAS!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I use a QNAP 231P. It does the job, plus running the various applications and some docker containers.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I need a new secondary drive to hold music/photos/etc. Any downsides to using a WD Gold drive vs a Black drive in a USB 3.0 external enclosure? Reliability is #1 priority, noise #2, and all else is of no concern. 1-2TB is all I need.

Forum posts everywhere else on the internet are worthless and can’t come to a consensus.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

various cheeses posted:

I need a new secondary drive to hold music/photos/etc. Any downsides to using a WD Gold drive vs a Black drive in a USB 3.0 external enclosure? Reliability is #1 priority, noise #2, and all else is of no concern. 1-2TB is all I need.

Forum posts everywhere else on the internet are worthless and can�t come to a consensus.

I asked about enterprise drives a few days ago and got more or less ignored. Using either of those drives in an enclosure would be fine, but the Gold would be more reliable (rated for heavier-duty use, vibration sensor, etc.) yet possibly louder (not that Black is as quiet as Green or Blue.)

Since reliability is your top priority, that would tilt you towards the Gold (or the slightly older Re, or any competitors' enterprise drives.) You still have to back up your poo poo though!!! You could perhaps go with a Green and then get an archive drive for the backup? Or, you could just use an SSD or two for the active drive(s) and whatever HDD for the backup, because that would satisfy both your criteria (no moving parts so as reliable as any storage can be, and totally silent, plus individual drives are well within your capacity range and price is not a concern.)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Atomizer posted:

I asked about enterprise drives a few days ago and got more or less ignored. Using either of those drives in an enclosure would be fine, but the Gold would be more reliable (rated for heavier-duty use, vibration sensor, etc.) yet possibly louder (not that Black is as quiet as Green or Blue.)

Since reliability is your top priority, that would tilt you towards the Gold (or the slightly older Re, or any competitors' enterprise drives.) You still have to back up your poo poo though!!! You could perhaps go with a Green and then get an archive drive for the backup? Or, you could just use an SSD or two for the active drive(s) and whatever HDD for the backup, because that would satisfy both your criteria (no moving parts so as reliable as any storage can be, and totally silent, plus individual drives are well within your capacity range and price is not a concern.)

I do have a backup drive handy, and the current WD caviar black will become the new backup to whatever I buy. Just wanted to make sure there’s nothing weird about the Golds to rule them out as a single desktop drive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I swear I meant to answer your post, but got distracted and chemo-brain took care of the rest.

Anywho, the only reason why enterprise drives exist is that the companies which buy them are willing to pay that much to have some sort of extra warrenty, and they operate on such a large scale that getting a bunch of drives RMA'd isn't going to mean they'll be running at decreased levels of availability provided by whatever RAID they use.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

It’s like $5 more than the WD Black drive

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the scoop on WD's entries into the SSD field? Looking at the 970 for my main drive in my next build but considering WD for the slave, given price.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

Whats the scoop on WD's entries into the SSD field? Looking at the 970 for my main drive in my next build but considering WD for the slave, given price.

WD bought Sandisk so they're rebranded Sandisk drives. The blue is their lower end one, and the black is higher end. I have a sandisk ultra ii or whatever used to be listed as okay in the SSD thread and it's a solid disk. I'd trust the blue about as much as one of those cheapies Sandisk used to make (the plus or whatever). Being an SSD it's less likely to fail than a HD but it can happen. For bulk storage it'd probably be okay, just make sure you have backups of anything important.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a SD drive in, well I had it in my laptop and I stuck it in the laptop I bought for the gf. Its been good. I spared no expense (almost) when I built my rig in 2013, and likewise it will be the same when I build this one soon (hopefully). My 500gb 840 was about 400 CAD at the time, there wont be any mechanical drives in this new build.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is there any tiered storage solution available for normal users?

I got into looking at Enmotus FuzeDrive because AMD has bundled the standard edition software as StoreMI with their newer chipsets. It looks pretty good, except the limitations of only being able to use it on 2 physical drives is a bit disappointing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

D. Ebdrup posted:

I swear I meant to answer your post, but got distracted and chemo-brain took care of the rest.

Anywho, the only reason why enterprise drives exist is that the companies which buy them are willing to pay that much to have some sort of extra warrenty, and they operate on such a large scale that getting a bunch of drives RMA'd isn't going to mean they'll be running at decreased levels of availability provided by whatever RAID they use.

The only one exception I can think of right now where you get more "reliability" for your money is the Seagate IronWolf Pro, where you get 2 years worth of data recovery included if the drive goes tits up...
But honestly, as has already been said, and I agree with: back stuff up, RAID is not backup, etc...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thanks for the input. I agree that there's definitely a +cost for +warranty on enterprise/business hardware in general, but there also are certainly hardware differences in HDD lines including things that determine how they perform (e.g. RPM, aggressive head docking in the WD Green, etc.) as well as how durable they are (which is why dedicated NAS, media, etc., drives exist.) I guess at the time I was looking for input into this class in general, but I've done research since then and at this point I'm mostly curious about how the brands stack up. Like I said I'm happy with the HGST He drive, but the WD Re/Gold also looks promising, and then there's Seagate and Toshiba beyond that.

codo27 posted:

They're fine, maybe a tick below the Crucial MX500, which itself is maybe a small tick below the Samsung Evos. I wouldn't at all hesitate to put the OS for a new build on a WD Blue, and Samsung is by no means the supreme, must-have brand that it once was. There's a dedicated SSD thread here, btw. For the OS, you're basically just looking for a good drive with DRAM, at a reasonable price. ~$80 is reasonable for a sale on one of the aforementioned ~512 GB-class drives, for example (and maybe $150 or less for 1 TB.) Really, I think sufficient capacity is the biggest criterion beyond that (for future proofing, OS maintenance, and drive self-maintenance purposes.)

Wooper posted:

Is there any tiered storage solution available for normal users?

I got into looking at Enmotus FuzeDrive because AMD has bundled the standard edition software as StoreMI with their newer chipsets. It looks pretty good, except the limitations of only being able to use it on 2 physical drives is a bit disappointing.

Try PrimoCache (and I mean there's literally a free trial, so check it out.) It will let you pretty much cache anything with anything else. You can cache an HDD (or a group of multiple HDDs) with an SSD (or any decent USB flash drive) and then cache that with spare RAM, have multiple cache groups simultaneously, and you can tweak caches to be R, W, or both, etc.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

The only one exception I can think of right now where you get more "reliability" for your money is the Seagate IronWolf Pro, where you get 2 years worth of data recovery included if the drive goes tits up...
But honestly, as has already been said, and I agree with: back stuff up, RAID is not backup, etc...
They promise to attempt data recovery, they don't promise to succeed. I've never paid for a service like that, but I would be very surprised if they throw forensic levels of data recovery at it.

Atomizer posted:

Thanks for the input. I agree that there's definitely a +cost for +warranty on enterprise/business hardware in general, but there also are certainly hardware differences in HDD lines including things that determine how they perform (e.g. RPM, aggressive head docking in the WD Green, etc.) as well as how durable they are (which is why dedicated NAS, media, etc., drives exist.) I guess at the time I was looking for input into this class in general, but I've done research since then and at this point I'm mostly curious about how the brands stack up. Like I said I'm happy with the HGST He drive, but the WD Re/Gold also looks promising, and then there's Seagate and Toshiba beyond that.
Doesn't idle3-tools/wdidle (or camcontrol raw 0x44 0x00 0x57 0x44 0x00 0xA0 0x80*) still work?
*: Don't actually try this, as you may brick your drive even if it IS a WD Green.

Likely, it all just comes down to binning in the end; if you're lucky the binned SKU you're paying for is actually way more capable than what you're buying, but has just missed one out of a couple hundred checks that disqualifies it for a much higher-priced SKU.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I finally got sick of troubleshooting my 12 year old Core 2 based home file server and upgraded to actual (entry level) server hardware. Bought a Supermicro X11SSM-F board, a cheap Pentium, and 16GB. So much nicer to work with, no more SAS add on cards and expanders, and IPMI is amazing. Do recommend.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kreez posted:

I finally got sick of troubleshooting my 12 year old Core 2 based home file server and upgraded to actual (entry level) server hardware. Bought a Supermicro X11SSM-F board, a cheap Pentium, and 16GB. So much nicer to work with, no more SAS add on cards and expanders, and IPMI is amazing. Do recommend.

With Bonus "signal conditioners" :haw:

I kid, I kid.. Those are sweet boards, I've bought quite a few for work.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

They promise to attempt data recovery, they don't promise to succeed. I've never paid for a service like that, but I would be very surprised if they throw forensic levels of data recovery at it.

Doesn't idle3-tools/wdidle (or camcontrol raw 0x44 0x00 0x57 0x44 0x00 0xA0 0x80*) still work?
*: Don't actually try this, as you may brick your drive even if it IS a WD Green.

Likely, it all just comes down to binning in the end; if you're lucky the binned SKU you're paying for is actually way more capable than what you're buying, but has just missed one out of a couple hundred checks that disqualifies it for a much higher-priced SKU.

Changing the idling behavior on the Greens seemed like more trouble than it's worth. The thing is, even with their default behavior the Green drives should be quite perfect for the roles that you'd typically use an HDD for nowadays: not for OS usage (which is what would cause the drives to wear out faster due to that aggressive power saving) but for archival/bulk storage (write sparingly, read occasionally.) They're still not what I'd cram in a multi-bay NAS, but for the average user, with an SSD and maybe one or two HDDs attached to their PC, a WD Green should be quite sufficient. (I still wouldn't blame anyone, though, for wanting something rated for heavier use if they feel that's appropriate.)

On this topic, I just shucked a Green (WD30EZRS IIRC) from a single-drive, sealed, consumer NAS. I bought it about 7.5 years ago for $200 (:eyepop:) and it's been connected ever since, but has only seen light use because it's a little too slow (~60 MB/s over Gigabit at best, and most of my PC hardware is over slower network links) and behaved a little wonky at times. I still used it to hold stuff like utilities and benchmarking software, drivers, etc., so it was actually useful for all my PCs on the network, but just not practical to take advantage of the whole 3 TB; I can just host the files on any of the PCs already connected to the network 24/7, like my Plex server. So I put the drive in a USB enclosure, ran CDI, and learned that it has about 2 dozen power cycles over all these years, but over 64 THOUSAND hours :popeye: of power-on time (which translates to about 7.3 years at 24/7/365)...with in-range SMART readings.... :stare: I guess that's not that out of line considering it was just sitting there idle, docked and spun-down most of the time, but nevertheless that just goes to show you that you can't really predict a drive's lifespan based on service hours alone.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I expand my 6 drive RAID6 QNAP NAS? Take one or two drives out at a time, replace them with bigger drives, and then wait for the rebuild before doing that again? Right now, it is all 4TB drives and I would like to eventually replace them with 10TB drives.

Edit: I think this answers my question - https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutorial/article/online-raid-capacity-upgrade

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 11, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kreez posted:

Bought a Supermicro X11SSM-F board

I'm sure Chinese hackers will enjoy the information you are sharing with them!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-09/new-evidence-of-hacked-supermicro-hardware-found-in-u-s-telecom

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given the lack of corroboration from any independent sources, I'm not ready to put a whole lot of trust in that at this point.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

You don't know poo poo about poo poo and ya rushed in so fast to drop this bomb haha

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You would think someone would have grabbed one of those boards and found the hidden chip if there were one present. You would get a billion internet views with an exposee like that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I expand my 6 drive RAID6 QNAP NAS? Take one or two drives out at a time, replace them with bigger drives, and then wait for the rebuild before doing that again? Right now, it is all 4TB drives and I would like to eventually replace them with 10TB drives.

Edit: I think this answers my question - https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutorial/article/online-raid-capacity-upgrade

There are some youtube videos that also show the process. Once you've changed all the drives the expand capacity bit at the end is important to make use of all that space.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
I tried to jump into the deep end and ordered a R720xd. I did not realize how big/loud rackmount servers were. Time to eat crow (and the return shipping). Is the NSFW still a good (and easier) starting-off point?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I tried to jump into the deep end and ordered a R720xd. I did not realize how big/loud rackmount servers were. Time to eat crow (and the return shipping). Is the NSFW still a good (and easier) starting-off point?

Dang, yeah Dells are especially loud. But anything 2U or smaller will have tiny, screaming fast fans in order to push that air.

I would also be interested in finding out if there are any decently quiet cases with hot swap bays or at the very least easily accessible bays.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rackmount gear also comes with the world's loudest loving fans. 1U stuff is unbearable no matter what. 2U, depends on the server - my Supermicro has 80mm fans that could be reasonably easily swapped for more typical units. Most of the popular 4U stuff has aftermarket parts available to swap out to fewer, larger fans.

My nearly-full Norco 4020 is loud by desktop standards, but silent by server standards (and very unobtrusive in a not-quiet environment). I would need to go to a lower end single processor and slower / larger fans if I wanted this inside a living space, though.

As far as hot swap drive bays go... Supermicro's are definitely much nicer than Norco's.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just built this 2011NSFW server, and I can't even hear it now that it's in the case and sitting next to my desk. Was super easy to build too, highly recommend A++ would build again.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I have an old Dell rackmount for running work simulations. It's 1U and very loud but fortunately it's behind two thick fire doors so I don't really hear it. You can get equivalent hardware in their mid and full tower cases. They don't make too much noise.

Another option is a Supermicro style small rackmount with an atom cpu as they may only have one or two low speed fans for cooling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Xeon-Ds (D1541/1521 etc) are also good options, Supermicro and AsRock Rack make mini ITX/micro ATX boards that are very nice.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

nerox posted:

He rents a cheap server close to where he lives. It's connected to his house by VPN. The outside world talks to the rented server, which means it's also talking to his house, because of the VPN. This gets around some limitations of an ISP for connectivity direct from the outside world to the house.

Also, his internet connection is very fast, your results may vary.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So i currently have a i5-4590, z97 mobo, 4gbx2 ram and a couple of 2tb 3.5 hdds laying around after having upgraded my old computer. Would this be a good base to start a plex/torrent/media box? Would it be worth it to use this to make one or should i just sell it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

So i currently have a i5-4590, z97 mobo, 4gbx2 ram and a couple of 2tb 3.5 hdds laying around after having upgraded my old computer. Would this be a good base to start a plex/torrent/media box? Would it be worth it to use this to make one or should i just sell it?

That should be plenty of cpu power. For torrents and media it should have no problem either. It's worth trying out as it should be enough but if it's not you'll get a really good idea of what hardware would suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, that's more than enough; I run a CentOS box with Plex/Samba/torrents going on a first gen i7 Xeon (X3440) with 8GB RAM and it basically idles with 7GB available unless it's transcoding something or I'm using VNC.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 15, 2018