Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
What's a reliable drive, preferably with an external enclosure, that's at least 2TB in size? I'm replacing an old 2TB drive on a media server that I hope fix and not touch again for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

salisbury shake posted:

What's a reliable drive, preferably with an external enclosure, that's at least 2TB in size? I'm replacing an old 2TB drive on a media server that I hope fix and not touch again for a long time.

All drives are reliable until you hear that clicking. If reliability is a big concern I'd get a higher end disk (WD Black/gold, HGST) and put it in an enclosure myself, otherwise just pick up a 4TB WD easystore and follow the golden rule of having at least 2 copies of anything you can't replace.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you’re ok with no back-ups, the WD EasyStore series at Best Buy is pretty ace. During sales you can see the 8 TB drives drop down to as low as $135 making it the best cost / storage drive out there. In terms of reliability, they are either red or white label WD NAS drives, just with shorter warranties because they’re external drives.

A bit of anecdotal warning though, I bought 9 of these last year using my batched purchasing strategy and 2 of them have failed in the first year of use. One was basically broken and clicking within 2 weeks of light duty, the other died five days ago after I suspect abuse due to me forgetting to hook up a case fan and all my hard drives climbing up to 65 degrees Celsius for weeks instead of the normal 35 - 42. I’d still buy them but would suggest something like BackBlaze as a backup if you’re going to use only a single drive for all your stuff.

Just avoid Seagate’s drives and you should be ok. The most reliable external drives would probably be buying some enterprise-grade drive with a long warranty (read: better parts) and putting it into a well cooled and shock proof enclosure, and that would run you a couple hundred minimum. My 1 TB WD black from 2009 has had a lot of usage but is still going very strong while I’ve gone through at least 3 green / eco variants from different manufacturers. Also, Toshiba and HGST are also great drives that may run a little warm and anyone using those in an external enclosure is probably going to get better results for reliability than an external drive from retail with 1-2 year warranties.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with hyperfocusing on drive reliability is the same as focusing on reliability of anything else - you're buying a current product based on the past performance of older products. With the added "benefit" of the fact that hard drive manufacturers are seemingly deliberately obtuse about when they revise a given product in a way that could impact its reliability, such as decreasing platter count on a given capacity. There's still trends you can somewhat rely on, but every infamous "this drive is a piece of poo poo" drive was on the market for at least a year before widespread problems cropped up. I wouldn't expect WD, HGST, or Toshiba to ship a lemon anytime soon, but you never know when the next 60GXP is going to show up.

If you ever end up in a situation where you are comparing the total cost of one solution where you buy a cheap drive and some paid backup, or an expensive drive and no backup, take the cheap drive with backup every time.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

ughhhh posted:

So i currently have a i5-4590, z97 mobo, 4gbx2 ram and a couple of 2tb 3.5 hdds laying around after having upgraded my old computer. Would this be a good base to start a plex/torrent/media box? Would it be worth it to use this to make one or should i just sell it?

It's more than enough. I was running a plex/torrent box on a Q9300 (seems to get half the Passmark score of your 4590) until 2 weeks ago, and only upgraded because the motherboard died, the performance was fine.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Thanks for the responses. Just picked up a WD Easystore from Best Buy with plans to do some type of mirroring as these drives are very cheap.

edit: any thoughts on raid1 via btrfs?

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 15, 2018

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I just built this 2011NSFW server, and I can't even hear it now that it's in the case and sitting next to my desk. Was super easy to build too, highly recommend A++ would build again.

Details please. Is this a e5XXX V2 build?

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
My current setup is a WD MyCloud 4TB (the one with an enclosure, no removable drives) and a Raspberry Pi as a Plex server, which works surprisingly fine for local direct play but terrible for everything else. I’m looking to upgrade both of these to a single NAS I can run Plex off of for <$400 before drives, if possible. Anyone have any suggestions? Right now I’m looking at the Synology DS218+, from what I’ve seen it can handle 1080p transcoding.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TransatlanticFoe posted:

My current setup is a WD MyCloud 4TB (the one with an enclosure, no removable drives) and a Raspberry Pi as a Plex server, which works surprisingly fine for local direct play but terrible for everything else. I’m looking to upgrade both of these to a single NAS I can run Plex off of for <$400 before drives, if possible. Anyone have any suggestions? Right now I’m looking at the Synology DS218+, from what I’ve seen it can handle 1080p transcoding.

WD PR2100/PR4100 can do that; check eBay and you can find both of them under your price limit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KillaZilla posted:

Details please. Is this a e5XXX V2 build?

Yup, I got the suggestions from https://www.serverbuilds.net/anniversary

Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 board with 2 E5-2630Ls and 64gb of ram, with 3 shucked 8tb WD MyBooks and 3 4tb I had in my old media server, running UnRAID. Super happy with it so far, it's fun being able to run all the VMs!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

salisbury shake posted:

Thanks for the responses. Just picked up a WD Easystore from Best Buy with plans to do some type of mirroring as these drives are very cheap.

edit: any thoughts on raid1 via btrfs?

Out of curiosity, why do you want to mirror? Mirroring protects you against physical drive failure, but any type of file corruption is going to leave the data unreadable on both disks. If absolute uptime isn't a primary concern, then using one of the drives as a genuine backup would probably keep your data safer.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It seems like my Synology volumes aren’t staying mounted on macOS. I remember when I was doing research before I bought it that there are apps that keep the volumes mounted because for one reason or another they don’t stay mounted.

Any suggestions for this? Some settings I should tweak or apps I should get?

Edit: There's a $10 AutoMounter app on the app store, and there's also these unix instructions for free http://blog.grapii.com/2015/06/keep-network-drives-mounted-on-mac-os-x-using-autofs/

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 17, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baronash posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to mirror? Mirroring protects you against physical drive failure, but any type of file corruption is going to leave the data unreadable on both disks. If absolute uptime isn't a primary concern, then using one of the drives as a genuine backup would probably keep your data safer.

on this topic: building the dadcomputer 2: backup harder.

I'm going to use a U-NAS 4-drive case (relatively non-negotiable), I have a pair of 1 GB drives and a 3 GB drive for them. This is all leftover stuff that's been run for a couple years so the longevity is somewhat suspect.

The nerd in me says run FreeNAS with the 1 TB drives in a mirror and the 3 TB drive alone. Use the 3 TB for media, use the 2x1 TB for backup. Maybe keep a backup of stuff on the 3 TB if it's not too big.

That leaves one bay free, workable for expansion? Maybe grow the mirror with an 8 TB first, drop a 1TB drive, copy the 3 TB across, drop the 3 TB, then add additional drives? Can you do that with ZFS? Or like, would I be better off with Unraid somehow? Don't care about the $50 if it gives me more flexiblity, although I would miss the ZFS checksumming and stuff.

I built that U-NAS NSC-810A case out for myself. It's pretty good except for you need both a 24-pin and an 8-pin extension cable that they didn't tell you about, even with the recommended power supplies. The fit and finish of the case itself is super high quality, just the cables are short. (and there's no Silverstone filters over the fans by default, but that's a personal demand there)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 18, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I purchased the NSC-810 earlier this week but unfortunately it shipped out of China so I have to wait a bit longer to work in it. :negative:

Should be fun!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a Cisco branded i350-t4 quad port Intel NIC from ebay. Fair warning there are a TON of fake chinese i350 based NICs and they are all trash and die very quickly. The Cisco branded one said it was pulled from a Cisco server something. It works great with standard Intel drives from their website. $39 bux

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Baronash posted:

To be honest, I read something about btrfs data checksumming working in tandem with RAID, thought that would be enough and I haven't given it much thought beyond that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

salisbury shake posted:

To be honest, I read something about btrfs data checksumming working in tandem with RAID, thought that would be enough and I haven't given it much thought beyond that.

Btrfs much like zfs needs access to the disk. Never combine it with raid. You'd use its built in raid like features.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Btrfs much like zfs needs access to the disk. Never combine it with raid. You'd use its built in raid like features.

I was going to use btrfs raid1 as documented on kernel.org, are you saying this is a bad idea?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

salisbury shake posted:

I was going to use btrfs raid1 as documented on kernel.org, are you saying this is a bad idea?

Nope. If you use the RAID1 feature of BTRFS that's fine. You wouldn't do RAID with your controller or OS and then format that as BTRFS. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Praise Jeebus! I've got a static IP waiting for me when I get home from work!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Praise Jeebus! I've got a static IP waiting for me when I get home from work!

since dynamic DNS is a thing that works, what's the advantage of a static ip for home ?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Volguus posted:

since dynamic DNS is a thing that works, what's the advantage of a static ip for home ?

We kinda went over it a week or so back, but carrier grade NAT (which my isp uses) is becoming more common and basically you are stuck behind two different external IPs so dynamic DNS and port forwarding won't work. Until ipv6 is in common use it's going to be a bigger and bigger problem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

We kinda went over it a week or so back, but carrier grade NAT (which my isp uses) is becoming more common and basically you are stuck behind two different external IPs so dynamic DNS and port forwarding won't work. Until ipv6 is in common use it's going to be a bigger and bigger problem.

Howd you get them to do that for you?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

Howd you get them to do that for you?

They provide them for $5/mo, the problem before was they had simply run out of addresses for my CO. I've got a friend who works at the ISP who tipped me off the second they got a new batch in.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Some ISPs that are not Comcast or ATT will do stuff if you just ask. If you can reach techs over the phone without going through layers of gatekeepers it is a good sign that they can and will help.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
With my residential Comcast connection, my dynamic IP has not changed in years.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moey posted:

With my residential Comcast connection, my dynamic IP has not changed in years.

Yeah, previously I had Time Warner / Spectrum for like 10 years and dynamic IP was fine that whole time. New ISP in the city is Allo and they do gigabit fiber to the house, but carrier grade NAT so no dynamic IP. IPv6 is supposed to fix all this mess, but I'm tired of holding my breath for that.

In any case, now I've got static IP and successfully tested 5 people pulling 12mbit Plex streams at the same time so I'm happy!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, previously I had Time Warner / Spectrum for like 10 years and dynamic IP was fine that whole time. New ISP in the city is Allo and they do gigabit fiber to the house, but carrier grade NAT so no dynamic IP. IPv6 is supposed to fix all this mess, but I'm tired of holding my breath for that.

In any case, now I've got static IP and successfully tested 5 people pulling 12mbit Plex streams at the same time so I'm happy!

Well done! I probably a year or two out on my town having some FttH available for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Minor detail, but CGN is a stop-gap put in place to delay IPv6 adoption, IPv6 adoption isn't supposed to fix CGN.

Remember: IPv6 is turning 20 this December, and the KAME project for the BSDs was started the same year - despite being 100% open-source, under a fully commercially-compatible license, and done in 2006, more than a decade ago, by less than a handful of people including itujun (RIP), adoption is still horrifically slow by any meassure except the most pessimistic ones possible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It's pathetic how slow we're moving with this ipv6 crap. Instead of everyone being on top of it the second it got released, with a full global implementation by the end of the year we have waited and waited until ... well, we're still waiting. I guess Armageddon hasn't happened yet, so we're holding our breaths and go on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I saw a presentation by a university professor at a local university, in which he extrapolated that based on the current trend of growth during the highest IPv6 adoption period, IPv6 address space would experience exhaustion before all IPv4-only equipment on the internet had been replaced with dual-stack capable equipment.
And to put that into perspective, IPv6 address space is big enough that you can fill every single piece of landmass on the with racks stacked three high, filled with 1U servers, and still have IPv6 addresses to spare.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My ISP does full IPv6 and CGN v4. Its half cool and half useless since websites which are IPv6 enabled are scarce.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It begins.

Testing RAM while I wait for remaining parts:

Supermicro X10SDV-F:

U-NAS NSC-810, unfortunately the store page wasn't 100% accurate as it came with SATA cables instead of SFF-8087 cables so I had to go order those to continue to use my LSI card:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just to let you know, memtest has never found a bad stick for me. And I have tested known bad memory. It will find bad sticks but only when they are so bad you generally can't even boot an OS.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Just to let you know, memtest has never found a bad stick for me. And I have tested known bad memory. It will find bad sticks but only when they are so bad you generally can't even boot an OS.

Anecdote to the contrary: it found a bad stick pretty quickly the one time I had a problem which I suspected was failing RAM.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

redeyes posted:

My job says otherwise:

It certainly happens, and I always test before I use a machine in production, even if it is just for the home. The machine in question in that picture would boot to an OS but crash during testing.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 23, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All im saying is you can't rule out bad memory by running it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

redeyes posted:

All im saying is you can't rule out bad memory by running it.

Just hedging bets like preclearing drives. If it's fine, then its most likely fine in the long run.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Question for the group: right now I have a Synology DS1515+ behind a Google Wifi router at home that rsync's to my work (university setting) 1515+ to backup my personal data. Using Google DDNS with a custom domain name to access the machine. Services include DSM, SFTP, SSH, Virtual Machine Manager running a linux VM,

Security measures in place include 2Fa, disabled admin account, strong passwords, firewall blocks any non-US traffic, custom ports for all services, and auto-block for failed login attempts.

However I am wondering if I need to learn how to set up a VPN so that services are not open to the internet. I know nothing about VPN -- how much hassle would this entail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Question for the group: right now I have a Synology DS1515+ behind a Google Wifi router at home that rsync's to my work (university setting) 1515+ to backup my personal data. Using Google DDNS with a custom domain name to access the machine. Services include DSM, SFTP, SSH, Virtual Machine Manager running a linux VM,

Security measures in place include 2Fa, disabled admin account, strong passwords, firewall blocks any non-US traffic, custom ports for all services, and auto-block for failed login attempts.

However I am wondering if I need to learn how to set up a VPN so that services are not open to the internet. I know nothing about VPN -- how much hassle would this entail?

:stare: I would not expose a synology directly to the internet for unsolicited inbound traffic. The USA is just as nasty as the rest of the world.

Their VPN system is probably safe enough and the only way I would hook it up. Your passwords and crap mean very little given the number of security issues they have had over time.