Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This guys says it'll accept 8x8TB just fine, but YMMV on trusting random people on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/65wqzq/need_to_upgrade_storage_in_ds1812/dhec1mr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KozmoNaut posted:

No, you would only be able to use 32TB of that 64TB.

E: At least according to the specs. Notice it doesn't say "max volume size", but "max internal capacity", which I take to mean an absolute maximum, not a maximum volume size.

I'd actually read it the other way around. "Max internal capacity" usually means basically nothing other than they didn't bother validating it with larger drives. Especially for a 2012-era system, 8TB drives simply didn't exist, but there's usually no reason the drives themselves won't work.

The issue sometimes crops up with the "max volume size," as ROJO just found out a few posts up: the drives themselves work fine, but can't go above some pre-set volume limit. In that the 1812+ uses an Atom CPU, there's no hardware reason it couldn't, but who knows if Synology shoved a software block in there.

But even if that were the case and it limited you to 32TB volumes, there shouldn't be a reason you couldn't do two of them to get 64TB effective, just split across two volumes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Good points.

The RAID controller in my old Alphaserver 1000A couldn't handle volumes of more than 32GB. Since I had a 2x18GB RAID1 plus 5x36GB RAID5 config, I had to deal with 5 volumes. Fun times. Also the software for the controller was only available as a boot floppy. Even more fun.

Switching gears a bit, what's the current favorite mini-ITX/micro-ATX board for a DIY NAS in something like a Silverstone DS380 or Fractal Node 304 or a similarly storage-oriented micro-ATX case? I want to piece together a theoretical build to compare with something like a Synology DS418. I've already got 2x2TB and 1x3TB disks ready for it.

Primarily it would be simple storage shared over SMB/NFS/FTP, with a DLNA server and Pi-hole. I do have a HTPC of sorts* that handles all my playback needs, but if it doesn't compromise too much and drive up power consumption and noise levels, the new NAS would also be replacing that. Literally nothing I own handles 4K, so playback requirements would be 1080p only, a bit of x265 and 60fps here and there.

*Lenovo Thinkcentre M72e Tiny with an i5 and Intel graphics

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 7, 2020

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Axe-man posted:

I'm going to say for Synology, if you are looking for something you want long term, you gotta go the plus series, for that intel processor. They are always 64 bit, and thus you don't hit the low caps for stuff like that. :sad:

Yeah, at the time I bought it, the 815 was the only rackmount one that was shallow enough for my rack. If I upgrade it would likely be the 1219+ (or its successor) which gets you both Intel and a shallow depth these days.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

KozmoNaut posted:

Switching gears a bit, what's the current favorite mini-ITX/micro-ATX board for a DIY NAS in something like a Silverstone DS380 or Fractal Node 304 or a similarly storage-oriented micro-ATX case? I want to piece together a theoretical build to compare with something like a Synology DS418. I've already got 2x2TB and 1x3TB disks ready for it.

I've been very happy with the Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F that was recommended to me in this thread. I only use it for NAS duties though, I don't do any transcoding on it.

I don't think I would buy another compact 8 bay from Silverstone given how awful my temps were with the CS381B. Maybe the DS380 would fare slightly better in that regard. I switched the CS381B with a Node 804 and it was much better for thermal management.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fletcher posted:

I've been very happy with the Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F that was recommended to me in this thread.

That looks like a nice board, but quite spicy price-wise for just the motherboard, compared to a ~$485 DS418.

At the moment, this is sort of what I'm currently considering:

ASRock J4105-ITX
8GB DDR4
2 channel SATA controller (for 6 total ports)
Fractal Design Node 304
Be Quiet! 300W PSU

Which comes to ~$350 total and lets me have 6 disks to match the drive bays in the case. If I can't score a pre-owned small SSD of some kind at work, I'll have to add that as well. 120GB SATA SSDs are nice and cheap, anyway.

The Celeron on the motherboard I've picked is not the beefiest thing in the world, but the integrated graphics can do hardware encode/decode of h264, h265/HEVC, VP8/VP9 and some others, apparently people are playing 4K videos on them just fine, and it seems to be fully supported in Linux, too. So as long as it has the oomph to saturate gigabit ethernet, it's fine.

E: Another thing to consider is that this would not only be a NAS, it will also replace my HTPC and my RPi running Pi-hole, DNS and DHCP. Which reminds me that I could grab the 500GB SSD from the HTPC and put the 320GB HDD back in there, then put the SSD in my laptop, freeing up the 120GB SSD in there to be used as the system disk in the NAS, and then sell the HTPC that I no longer need. It's all coming together :science:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 7, 2020

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
With my current NAS (a QNAP 412 that I think I got in 2011) long-ago having ceased to owe me anything, and my wife's hammering of SABnzbd/Radarr/Sonarr meaning space will run out soon, I'm thinking of replacing it with a simple, rack-mounted machine. With the prices of rackmount NASes pretty substantial, I thought about building one for myself (also because it is fun). While I've built plenty of PCs, I've never built something rackmounted: my enclosure at the moment just contains a switch, three PIs and a power rack.

I'd thought about this, but I don't know if it even fits, let alone is sane:

Logic Case 2U SC-23400-4 Short ATX Chassis
ASUS A320M-K Prime MicroATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G VEGA Graphics AM4 CPU with Wraith Stealth Cooler
3 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" SATA HDD

I'm kinda aware that I've essentially built a low end, general purpose desktop PC with a weird amount of storage, because I don't really know what I'm doing. The CPU plus fan (total 40mm height) should fit, I think, but the power supply unit I'm less certain of: Logic Case 2U 500w Server PSU it is the same brand, has sufficient SATA supplies and claims to be made for their 2U cases, but looks totally the wrong shape for the rear mounting and I'm far from confident that it has the 24-pin connector needed for the motherboard. I'm pretty confident, that if I just order some standard microATX-compatible PSU that I'll be breaking out the gaffer tape, epoxy and wooden wedges.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Endie posted:

With my current NAS (a QNAP 412 that I think I got in 2011) long-ago having ceased to owe me anything, and my wife's hammering of SABnzbd/Radarr/Sonarr meaning space will run out soon, I'm thinking of replacing it with a simple, rack-mounted machine. With the prices of rackmount NASes pretty substantial, I thought about building one for myself (also because it is fun). While I've built plenty of PCs, I've never built something rackmounted: my enclosure at the moment just contains a switch, three PIs and a power rack.

I'd thought about this, but I don't know if it even fits, let alone is sane:

Logic Case 2U SC-23400-4 Short ATX Chassis
ASUS A320M-K Prime MicroATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G VEGA Graphics AM4 CPU with Wraith Stealth Cooler
3 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" SATA HDD

I'm kinda aware that I've essentially built a low end, general purpose desktop PC with a weird amount of storage, because I don't really know what I'm doing. The CPU plus fan (total 40mm height) should fit, I think, but the power supply unit I'm less certain of: Logic Case 2U 500w Server PSU it is the same brand, has sufficient SATA supplies and claims to be made for their 2U cases, but looks totally the wrong shape for the rear mounting and I'm far from confident that it has the 24-pin connector needed for the motherboard. I'm pretty confident, that if I just order some standard microATX-compatible PSU that I'll be breaking out the gaffer tape, epoxy and wooden wedges.

Is there a particular reason you're going with a 2U case?

If you have the room a 4U case would be much easier to work with. They cost about the same as the 2U, you can use standard ATX power supplies, and fit normal sized heatsinks.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Krailor posted:

Is there a particular reason you're going with a 2U case?

If you have the room a 4U case would be much easier to work with. They cost about the same as the 2U, you can use standard ATX power supplies, and fit normal sized heatsinks.

Sheer miserliness with the space in my 10u enclosure. You're probably right.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Endie posted:

Sheer miserliness with the space in my 10u enclosure. You're probably right.

Yeah, don't get a <4U case unless you REALLY need one. They tend to be much noisier (or way hotter), more expensive to equip, and not have space for enough drives comfortably. 4U cases are fine for homelab stuff, even in a 10U rack. 4U for the server, 1U for a patch panel, 1U for a switch, 1U for a couple of Pi's and a router, maybe 2U for a UPS.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, don't get a <4U case unless you REALLY need one. They tend to be much noisier (or way hotter), more expensive to equip, and not have space for enough drives comfortably. 4U cases are fine for homelab stuff, even in a 10U rack. 4U for the server, 1U for a patch panel, 1U for a switch, 1U for a couple of Pi's and a router, maybe 2U for a UPS.

I shall take your advice and modify my dream of sleek blade servers to be more like brickish club servers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Steakandchips posted:

So my Synology 1812+ should be able to handle me going from 8x2TB to 8x8TB, correct?

I've already switched out 1 of the batch of 2tb disks for a 8tb disk... I want to know before I buy 7 more...

This bit in the manual scares me:

https://global.download.synology.co...a_Sheet_enu.pdf

This is from the data sheet which has the largest hdd at the time. You are rocking a 64 bit processor and you aren't hitting the system max pf 108 tb.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/Why_does_my_Synology_NAS_have_a_single_volume_size_limitation

In other words feel free to upgrade with no issues.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hey fletcher, did you see the follow-up I posted to one of the issues you were having, specifically about grabbing waffleimages stuff?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Hey fletcher, did you see the follow-up I posted to one of the issues you were having, specifically about grabbing waffleimages stuff?
I did not. Is there an IP I can put in my hosts file to view the archives in all their glory?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yup I did see your reply on that ticket! Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully going to get to it this weekend, just too busy with work this week. Pull requests are welcome of course!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wait, is the old Waffleimages trove back online somewhere? I thought all of that was lost to time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just picked up an old rear end Lenovo T440 for $60.
It's got a crappy old LSI MR SAS 9240 raid controller. I can't seem to find any specs other than "Supports volumes larger than 2 TB" which is LOL considering that's half the size of a single drive I want to use.
Any idea where I can find more specific specs on it? I tried the manufacturer, it wasn't helpful.

Should I just trash it and get something else?

Also, in searching for 3-4TB SAS drives I realized that everything is Nearline SAS. I'm not likely to find any 10k 3+TB drives (not that I want to) am I? I mean it makes sense you would just use aggregates and keep online data in flash storage or smaller Tier-1 disks and less-accessed stuff in bigger/slower/more reliablecheaper drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 9, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I did not. Is there an IP I can put in my hosts file to view the archives in all their glory?

Enos Cabell posted:

Wait, is the old Waffleimages trove back online somewhere? I thought all of that was lost to time.
I'll just answer these two by linking to Gavitrons userscript.

fletcher posted:

Yup I did see your reply on that ticket! Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully going to get to it this weekend, just too busy with work this week. Pull requests are welcome of course!
No worries!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just picked up an old rear end Lenovo T440 for $60.
It's got a crappy old LSI MR SAS 9240 raid controller. I can't seem to find any specs other than "Supports volumes larger than 2 TB" which is LOL considering that's half the size of a single drive I want to use.
Any idea where I can find more specific specs on it? I tried the manufacturer, it wasn't helpful.

Should I just trash it and get something else?

Also, in searching for 3-4TB SAS drives I realized that everything is Nearline SAS. I'm not likely to find any 10k 3+TB drives (not that I want to) am I? I mean it makes sense you would just use aggregates and keep online data in flash storage or smaller Tier-1 disks and less-accessed stuff in bigger/slower/more reliablecheaper drives.

That's a screaming deal. The 9240 is widely used, and not crappy or old. Crossflash it to a 9211 in IT mode, just like any LSI card: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Then whatever NAS software you want to use can talk to it and run the raid.
Of it's too old and crappy for you, send me the whole server... I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even pay shipping!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ah, it's a Thinkserver TS440! I though it was some kind of weird Thinkpad T440 with a RAID controller :v:

Those are dang solid machines, $60 is a steal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah, it's a Thinkserver TS440! I though it was some kind of weird Thinkpad T440 with a RAID controller :v:

Agreed that's why I scooped it, no questions asked.

sharkytm posted:

That's a screaming deal. The 9240 is widely used, and not crappy or old. Crossflash it to a 9211 in IT mode, just like any LSI card: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Then whatever NAS software you want to use can talk to it and run the raid.
Of it's too old and crappy for you, send me the whole server... I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even pay shipping!

I'll keep you in mind.
Thanks for the link!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm happily using a TS430 I bought for $200 CAD as my main server. $60 anything is a great deal. Keep it and use it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a R710 that runs most of my files for my home network. A message came up that the battery for the H700 needs to be replaced. Does anyone have suggestions for decent sites for replacement? Looking on Amazon and the like a lot of them seem sketchy. Or they are stupidly expensive.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KozmoNaut posted:

They're a steal because expansion is impossible. The HDD expansion bay kits are no longer made and impossible to find and are not compatible with other HDD expansion kits they have made for their other similar ThinkServers.

Speaking as currently unused owner of a TS440 that has it sitting in a closet because I couldn't expand it and I got tired of searching.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 9, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're a steal because expansion is impossible. The HDD expansion bay kits are no longer made and impossible to find and are not compatible with other HDD expansion kits they have made for their other similar ThinkServers.

Speaking as currenlty unused owner that has it sitting in a closet.

You wanna sell me your expansion bay?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You wanna sell me your expansion bay?

I don't have one. Hence my post.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't have one. Hence my post.

HAHA wait you don't have a drive bay AT ALL or you don't have a second expansion bay? I thought they all came configured with at least one 4x 3.5" drive bay.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHA wait you don't have a drive bay AT ALL or you don't have a second expansion bay? I thought they all came configured with at least one 4x 3.5" drive bay.

The 2nd expansion bay. The kit comes with the bay and a board that interfaces with the power supply to give it power which isn't standard and sucks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The 2nd expansion bay. The kit comes with the bay and a board that interfaces with the power supply to give it power which isn't standard and sucks.

Also those drat motherboard plugs for the Power/USB headers on the front won't fit on like anything else so I can't easily swap the motherboard if I wanted to upgrade to something with more ram slots or more procs. Same for the Power supply. Not ATX, and nothing more powerful in that form factor is readily available.

But hey, it was $60. I'm kinda laughing at the idea of spending 3-4x that much on just a 4 drive expansion bay. At that point I think I'd probably rather get a DAS that I can plug into my desktop or whatever eventually replaces this TS440.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

If that's your photo, any chance you know what size those screws are on the back of the PCB? I tried a few typical computer screws but none fit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

If that's your photo, any chance you know what size those screws are on the back of the PCB? I tried a few typical computer screws but none fit.

It is not mine unfortunately so no idea.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I have a ts440 with both 3.5" bays. I can measure if you're interested.

I also have 2 ts430s, both with 8x 3.5 bays.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

I have a ts440 with both 3.5" bays. I can measure if you're interested.

I also have 2 ts430s, both with 8x 3.5 bays.

Well look at Mr. Fancypants over here with 8 drives and poo poo.

Aren't the 430's and 440's the same part for the hotswap bays?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

TD430

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/servers/thinkserver/ts440/accessories/acc100042

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Starting to see a couple of the 2-port 10GbE consumer switches dropping to reasonable prices, although I don't see much in the way of fans and 10GBase-T runs really loving hot, which has often led to these cheaper units burning out in a couple years.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LZMM7ZO

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-2x10-Gig-Multi-Gig-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B0765ZPY18 (was under $150 yesterday)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had found basically the perfect PSU for my little server build, a 300W Seasonic with a quiet fan and it was 80 PLUS Gold rated. Now apparently it's completely out of stock, as in not even visible on the site anymore. It's still on my order specification, but I don't have high hopes :(

Finding a decent PSU that's both affordable, quiet and efficient is drat hard when you don't need some 800+W lump.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, unfortunately not identical. I think the actual cage is the same, but the backplane and power supply connection is completely different. The TS440 is proprietary this the stupid conversion board and NLA kit, while IIRC the TS430 uses regular Molex power input. They use the same drive sleds. I'll check both today or over the weekend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I had found basically the perfect PSU for my little server build, a 300W Seasonic with a quiet fan and it was 80 PLUS Gold rated. Now apparently it's completely out of stock, as in not even visible on the site anymore. It's still on my order specification, but I don't have high hopes :(

Finding a decent PSU that's both affordable, quiet and efficient is drat hard when you don't need some 800+W lump.
BeQuiet! does ATX and SFX power supplies that turn off the fan completely at idle, and they're pretty reasonably priced too.

EDIT: An important thing about power supplies is that if you want to make most of their AC-DC conversion on 240V, you need to ensure that the max load of the system is in the middle of the PSU load curve - so if your system consumes around 300W at load then you're best off with a 600W PSU.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

I feel that you may be mistaken about how power supplies work.

Power supplies are not a pump that is blasting the maximum wattage the entire time, devices only pull as much power as they need. The 300W mark is a hard cap on what your devices can pull. Your power supply could be a theoretical 800W SFX, and still be perfectly quiet and 80+ Gold.

That said, If it's genuinely the form factor you're looking for, I think Seasonic has moved all their non-L SFX power supplies to the industrial line. Otherwise I think your alternative is Silverstone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If a PSU says its rated for 300W, it can usually do some amount more - but for low-cost devices with poor capacitors, it typically means their lifetime will decrease because they run hotter.