Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If you can spare a Sata port consider a satadom aka sata disk on module. You can get a little 64GB for like $25 on ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sharkytm posted:

The ts440 required a power conversion board and cables to run the second backplane. They weren't common, and were quite expensive. You could certainly build an adapter/splitter that would connect to the drives, but the backplane needs the power converter to (I think) generate a 5V rail, probably used for some logic and the LEDs.
This is very crucial knowledge. Thank you.
I think I found one on ebay but I haven't confirmed the part number to make sure it's the right one $23, not bad...
Considering that though, I'm probably not going to spend the money on another backplane (which will cost twice what I paid for the server itself.) The 4x8TB drives I've got now should suffice for the foreseeable future and I shouldn't need more space, I just figured if I could cram more drives in there then why not?

CommieGIR posted:

If you can spare a Sata port consider a satadom aka sata disk on module. You can get a little 64GB for like $25 on ebay
This is actually really funny that you bring it up because Google Ad services just recommended this to me earlier :tinfoil:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I believe SATADOM is basically the replacement for CF cards in terms of appliance machines.

Supermicro motherboards, among others, even ship with differently-colored SATA sockets which have the 5V power built in to be used for SATADOM, which otherwise needs a separate 5V connector - and if you don't use SATADOM, the sockets are still 100% compatible with regular SATA devices.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 26, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D. Ebdrup posted:

I believe SATADOM is basically the replacement for CF cards in terms of appliance machines.

I'm pretty sure it will be.

Right now though, I can get a 120GB 2.5" SATA SSD locally and delivered the next day for ~$20, not even on sale. It does take up a bit more space in a small device, of course.

If I end up needing all six 3.5" bays in my NAS for storage disks, I would perhaps look at a SATADOM to free up the last bay that houses the system disk right now. I've got eight SATA ports anyway, if I can get the stupid ASMedia ports to work right. Odds are I would just relocate the system disk next to the mobo in a little cobbled together bracket instead, though.

E: I can report that Marvell 88SE9215-based PCIe SATA boards work a hell of a lot better than anything based on ASM106x.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is very crucial knowledge. Thank you.
I think I found one on ebay but I haven't confirmed the part number to make sure it's the right one $23, not bad...
Considering that though, I'm probably not going to spend the money on another backplane (which will cost twice what I paid for the server itself.) The 4x8TB drives I've got now should suffice for the foreseeable future and I shouldn't need more space, I just figured if I could cram more drives in there then why not?

This is actually really funny that you bring it up because Google Ad services just recommended this to me earlier :tinfoil:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1936771659
That's the part, but you'll need the cable too.

I took some pictures of the inside of my 440 just now, I'll get them on imgur soon

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Got 2 of my EasyStores shucked and put in the server, just to make sure BSD/FreeNAS can see them through the LSI. In FreeBSD I can see them both and can even pull SMART data, but in FreeNAS when I go to create a new pool it detects one as type HDD along with the speed, model and serial, but the second one shows type UNKNOWN and only shows the serial number.

Looking back at my SMART test printouts for each of these new drives, the 2 in question have identical specs for model, firmware etc. I don't want to actually create the new pool yet, but FreeNAS will let me select both drives and the Create button does light up so so far it looks like I would be able to continue, I just don't see why it's reading the 2 drives differently. Once all 8 are installed I still plan to run a short SMART test on each before making the pool, assuming they all come back good from FreeBSD itself I'm probably still cool, yea?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1936771659

I took some pictures of the inside of my 440 just now, I'll get them on imgur soon

That's exactly the same one I found. Thanks for confirming.

e: if you do upload some pics. let me see where that board actually mounts to. That would be super helpful.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Your wish is my command!

http://imgur.com/a/aAiUxGT

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I had a sneaking suspicion that's what those nubs were for.
Thanks!

I guess after all the effort you went through I really SHOULD just go ahead and buy 4 more drives, a backplane and the power cable...
I don't suppose you have a part number for the cable do you?

E:

sharkytm posted:

That's a screaming deal. The 9240 is widely used, and not crappy or old. Crossflash it to a 9211 in IT mode, just like any LSI card: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Then whatever NAS software you want to use can talk to it and run the raid.
Of it's too old and crappy for you, send me the whole server... I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even pay shipping!

WELL THAT WAS loving EASY. Thanks for the advice!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2020

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
i have a silly amount of 2.5" seagate ST2000NX0253 drives sitting here doing nothing. is there a recommended enclosure to wrap a few (3 or more) of these guys up for my dad to use as backup (windows spaces)? i found this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711L68MS) while naively searching, but it won't fit the drives i have. is there such a thing as a good 2.5" drive-based mATX NAS case?

VVVV

thank you for pointing that out. i currently have an ECC-capable setup where he's got a 4-drive freeNAS, but cooling that monster has been a problem (box location, not case airflow/construction). he doesn't need that much storage space anyway. i was hoping to simplify the situation, but if the windows thing is a bad idea i can still do freeNAS.

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 27, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nine16thsdago posted:

windows spaces
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but storage spaces is probably something you wanna avoid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
FYI, there's a QNAP 4-bay enclosure on sale on B&H for the next 23 hours or so, $440
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1402133-REG/qnap_ts_453be_4g_us_ts_453be_4_bay_professional_nas.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

I just bought a backplane+cage, Mini-sas to Mini-sas cable, that power distribution module, and 4 more 8TB SAS drives. That's almost $1200 into this $60 server lol whoops. I'm still pretty sure I couldn't get 8 bays + drives (let alone SAS drives) for anywhere near that anywhere else though.

Now I just need to find that drat 8p to 8p power cable, or build my own. I don't think I have the requisite 8p connector that should go to the backplane though and I'm not sure what to search on digikey or whatever.
I might have to take a stroll over to the Learning Electronics thread and see if anyone there knows what's up.

update:

I found the connector that goes to the back of the backplane!
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0430250808/WM13210-ND/3310166

Also found it on a cisco power brick:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 29, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Charles posted:

FYI, there's a QNAP 4-bay enclosure on sale on B&H for the next 23 hours or so, $440
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1402133-REG/qnap_ts_453be_4g_us_ts_453be_4_bay_professional_nas.html

Don't those Celerons also have issues?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno, just sharing. I have a similar one in my Synology. I thought the problem was with the 2015 models or older.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Maybe? https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/intel-revises-apollo-lake-degradation-failure-warning/1/

That was almost a year ago. If these are newer manufacture dates, they may already have the update. If they don't, no one really knows what (if any) risk you're taking with them. I'd say play it safe and buy them on a CC that adds additional warranty years to it. The C2000 issue took ~18 months to crop up, so a 24 month base warranty may not be enough to protect you if it takes a little longer to show up this time (if it's the same issue, and if it's bad enough to actually brick them, neither of which are known at this point).

It doesn't seem like there've been mass reports of failures yet, but that may also be because those chips aren't quite old enough yet to hit the failure points. :iiam:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have an extremely basic question about using a RAID drive alongside an old mac mini as a server in order to digitize and stream my dvd collection over plex or a similar service. Let's say I have 4tb or so of data after ripping all my old dvds: can I just get an 8-10tb RAID 1 external drive to store the data, leave it on all the time, and be reasonably certain that the redundancy provided by the second drive will be enough to (reasonably) ensure that I won't have to rip everything a second time?

I have given some thought to getting a second drive just to back up everything from the main drive and just leaving it somewhere as a back-up, should both drives in the RAID fail for whatever reason.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I'm imagining ripping all the dvds will be somewhat labor intensive and I don't feel great about the thought of having to do it twice. I've also considered getting a NAS to use as a server rather than a mac mini, but I feel like it would be about half the cost and integrate into the rest of my mac poo poo more easily (thinking of using plex with an apple tv to stream).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Can't say I've used a Mac Mini for much before, but in terms of storage stuff, yeah, you can do that. WD makes a product for that, the My Book Duo, and a 12TB model (so 6TB usable in RAID-1) runs about $400, while a 16TB model (8TB in RAID-1) is $500 because gently caress you, I guess. They'll auto spin-down the disks when not in use, and so are slightly less reliable than constant spinning drives, but for home use it's pretty much a wash and it saves you on your power bill.

Getting an additional drive as an emergency backup is recommended, because RAID Is Not A Backup: nothing would keep you from accidentally deleting stuff, for example, or drunkenly formatting it one night by mistake, or spilling soda on it, or whatever. And at <$150 for a 8TB single drive, it's not adding that much to your costs.

As far as Mac Mini vs NAS, that depends: If you're at all technologically inclined, you could absolutely build yourself a small NAS for the same price or less than buying a Mini, and have it be far more powerful. On the other hand, if you don't want to be bothered and were looking at a pre-built....well there are still a lot of cheaper options than a Mac Mini. You can get a Synology DS220+ for $300, or a DS620slim (4 bays!) for $450, both of which would be able to run Plex natively. That said, I don't see any reason a Mac Mini couldn't work if you had one laying around or something.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well Synology sent me a replacement 1515+ after my original died from the C2000 but, just after the 4 year warranty expired. Seems to be working well and updating my main HyperBackup task. I am satisfied but would be moreso if they would implement WireGuard VPN in the next update.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

Getting an additional drive as an emergency backup is recommended, because RAID Is Not A Backup: nothing would keep you from accidentally deleting stuff, for example, or drunkenly formatting it one night by mistake, or spilling soda on it, or whatever. And at <$150 for a 8TB single drive, it's not adding that much to your costs.

Not A Backup

Maybe more of a general FreeNAS question: Does it matter what pool your jails live on? I just got done putting in a new 8-drive pool, but Iocage is 'installed' on the initial old 3-drive pool. I was looking into the process of migrating all of them over, but is there any benefit to doing so? Any kind of performance or stability issues with jails living on poolA and reading/writing all their data on poolB?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Maybe more of a general FreeNAS question: Does it matter what pool your jails live on? I just got done putting in a new 8-drive pool, but Iocage is 'installed' on the initial old 3-drive pool. I was looking into the process of migrating all of them over, but is there any benefit to doing so? Any kind of performance or stability issues with jails living on poolA and reading/writing all their data on poolB?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on jails, but I don't think so, any more than having any other sort of application live on one pool while having a data mount in a separate one. That sort of setup is sometimes explicitly beneficial, since you could put the application on a pool with a different setup than the data store. For example, maybe the jail is reasonably lightweight but you don't want to be hassled with failure risks, so you shove it on a pool with high redundancy on a bunch of spinning HDDs, but the data it's working on needs a lot of random I/O, so you mount /data (or whatever) to a SSD-backed pool. ZFS doesn't really care. Putting everything on the same pool does save you some configuration steps in terms of mounts, but that's about it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

drat that poo poo needs a NSFW warning!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

drat that poo poo needs a NSFW warning!

Their work was literally not safe :(

DrDork posted:

ZFS doesn't really care. Putting everything on the same pool does save you some configuration steps in terms of mounts, but that's about it.

That's what I figured, since in this case the HDs are pretty similar, all spinny plates at 5400. I don't have any plans to turn down the first pool so I'll leave all the jails over there and just tell plexjail hey, your poo poo is over here now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Takes No Damage posted:

Not A Backup

Can't knock over a rackmount device if it's a 1U case sitting on the ground!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m shuddering at the thought of all the alerts that fired when that happened. I didn’t know my phone could induce phantom pains.

Since this thread is sorta the home lab thread, new PoE standard released handling up to 90w loads. Let’s see how Ubiquiti decides to screw this one up and lock people into their equipment.

https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/whitepaper/21137799/90w-power-over-ethernet-explained

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are the Seagate Expansion 16tb drives good for shucking?
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-14TB-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B088S9PWNM?th=1
16tb for $300 (+ 5% prime credit back).
It looks like they have exos x drives, but I can't tell if they are SMR or not.

Right now I have a 10TB easystore that I use. I've just gotten a Synology DS218+ and I'm looking to get drives for it. I have about 7tb of space, so I could go with another 10TB, but my thought was to go 16tb, have 6tb unused and in the future get a 16TB+ drive and do stepped growths.

Someone on reddit mentioned that the drive can be registered for 3yr warranty as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

deong posted:

Are the Seagate Expansion 16tb drives good for shucking?
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-14TB-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B088S9PWNM?th=1
16tb for $300 (+ 5% prime credit back).
It looks like they have exos x drives, but I can't tell if they are SMR or not.

Right now I have a 10TB easystore that I use. I've just gotten a Synology DS218+ and I'm looking to get drives for it. I have about 7tb of space, so I could go with another 10TB, but my thought was to go 16tb, have 6tb unused and in the future get a 16TB+ drive and do stepped growths.

Someone on reddit mentioned that the drive can be registered for 3yr warranty as well.

iirc all the big seagate externals use SMR drives, unfortunately

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unraid pre-clear of my 12TB drive took a full week, wowzers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m shuddering at the thought of all the alerts that fired when that happened. I didn’t know my phone could induce phantom pains.

0. That thing was off when it fell. Likely hit by a forklift.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Can't knock over a rackmount device if it's a 1U case sitting on the ground!

*flips table 1u case*

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Is anyone recording camera footage straight to their NAS?
I just ordered a bunch of Wyze Cam Outdoors and I'm trying to gauge how that's going to perform and if there's any preparations I need to make (like more ram, better network card, etc...)

Mostly interested in traffic / ram usage if you've got those stats.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is anyone recording camera footage straight to their NAS?
I just ordered a bunch of Wyze Cam Outdoors and I'm trying to gauge how that's going to perform and if there's any preparations I need to make (like more ram, better network card, etc...)

Mostly interested in traffic / ram usage if you've got those stats.

Friend just started doing this yesterday. 15 hours at 720P was 10GB has a 8TB WD inside a https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/udm-pro

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hughlander posted:

Friend just started doing this yesterday. 15 hours at 720P was 10GB has a 8TB WD inside a https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/udm-pro

Not to get all network thread on y'all but that thing is adorable.

I'm assuming a bandwidth of about 10mbps (hopefully this is overkill) for each of 4 cameras. I've only got the built in NIC and 16 GB RAM so I'm trying to figure out if that's enough.
Disk space, and processor should be plenty sufficient.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not to get all network thread on y'all but that thing is adorable.

I'm assuming a bandwidth of about 10mbps (hopefully this is overkill) for each of 4 cameras. I've only got the built in NIC and 16 GB RAM so I'm trying to figure out if that's enough.
Disk space, and processor should be plenty sufficient.

It will be fine assuming your camera does on board h264 and you aren't doing a ton of motion constantly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, camera recording isn't exactly challenging for a NAS built on any sort of "real" processor as long as it's not having to do the compression itself, and most cameras these days automatically do the compression on their end.

The issue is usually more trying to find a good balance of quality vs space, and tuning the capture and alerting software to only mark actually relevant stuff, and not throw 10,000 events every day.

For actual values, 1080p@30 "real nice quality" usually has a bitrate under 10Mbps. For security cam work you could probably chop that down to 5-6 and still have a perfectly usable image. Assuming your network and NIC are Gigabit compatible, you'd be using 40Mbps out of about 1,000Mbps, so nowhere near saturating anything. RAM usage is also reasonably low, I think using two cams on my NAS I threw 1GB RAM at the jail and never had an issue, and that was almost certainly more than it needed.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 31, 2020

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It’s probably worth trying ZoneMinder and seeing if it works out for one’s situation when it comes to webcam management. It’s kind of a bummer Ubiquiti’s webcam software is essentially a driver to sell their webcams than anything pluggable, but so much commercial stuff does lock-in attempts it’s kind of a duh.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Unraid pre-clear of my 12TB drive took a full week, wowzers.
This doesn't sound right. Did you let unraid do it's default thing or did you do something special?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

This doesn't sound right. Did you let unraid do it's default thing or did you do something special?

Just kicked off the preclear script from the unraid interface. It's always taken forever. I'm running a decade-old Atom processor on 4GB RAM. I mainly use it as a source for my Plex server, and the PMS is run on my Ivy Bridge desktop PC. Haven't had any issues with speed, so I never bothered to upgrade the guts of the unraid machine.

The info for all my disks says:
SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Since it's not running at 6, I assume that's bottlenecking it as well. I'm guessing my SATA controller is just old enough to not support 6.

And now I wait 3 days for the data rebuild :v:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just kicked off the preclear script from the unraid interface. It's always taken forever. I'm running a decade-old Atom processor on 4GB RAM. I mainly use it as a source for my Plex server, and the PMS is run on my Ivy Bridge desktop PC. Haven't had any issues with speed, so I never bothered to upgrade the guts of the unraid machine.

The info for all my disks says:
SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Since it's not running at 6, I assume that's bottlenecking it as well. I'm guessing my SATA controller is just old enough to not support 6.

And now I wait 3 days for the data rebuild :v:

Nope, the functional speed limit of shuccs is ~180MB/s or 1.4Gb/s

Realistically you don't need to pre-clear drives anymore from a getting them into the array as Unraid no longer stops the array during a clear of a disk natively, so all you really needed to do is just check the disk to make sure it wasn't going to bathtub early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Nope, the functional speed limit of shuccs is ~180MB/s or 1.4Gb/s

Realistically you don't need to pre-clear drives anymore from a getting them into the array as Unraid no longer stops the array during a clear of a disk natively, so all you really needed to do is just check the disk to make sure it wasn't going to bathtub early

Yeah, last time I added a drive it needed to stop the array. Had no idea until this week. But I did kind of want the stress test to compare SMART reports.