Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DreddyMatt posted:

Right, I'm in the market for a nas.
In true nerd fashion I've let incremental improvements push me from a simple 2 drive bay up to a toss up between a 4 drive device or rolling my own with a gen 8 micro server.

My use case is pretty basic: photo and document storage, and media server. I use Plex at home, and will maybe want to share the library to 1 or 2 other people.
I use my Nvidia shield as the Plex server, so I don't think I need to worry too much about transcoding files.

What's the goon advice for this situation? Am I overlooking something obvious here? If I go with the micro server I'd be considering going with open media vault, unless there's a better reason to do true Nas or unraid

Help me spend money please

Do you want to make a project out of it and tinker with it? If not, I would just get a Synology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Diddler posted:

It looks like each fan has it's own power cable, so I would guess it's something like plastic epoxy gluing them together. I feel like if it was a bolt or screw, you would be able to see them. I found USB powered case fans for $15/each, or you could just splice a case fan to a USB connector and plug them in.

I didn't realize they made USB fans; this will be perfect because my battery backup UPS will be right near it and it has USB ports! Thanks a ton!

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

fletcher posted:

Do you want to make a project out of it and tinker with it? If not, I would just get a Synology

I'm down with a bit of tinkering. I work in IT, so that's not an issue.
Think I'm gonna roll my own, coz the server works out cheaper.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

tuyop posted:

How frequently are you all encountering drive failures? I think I’ve lost two drives in my adult life and neither of them failed suddenly and led to data loss.

I don't know, but a couple of years ago I disassembled about a dozen drives that I personally had that were dead or displaying worrying signs. Some of them were really old, so it's not like I suddenly had a huge problem, but I was moving house, so it was time to destroy them.

I work in IT too, so of course I've encountered numbers of disk failures in my line of work. How many I couldn't really guess

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any trick to getting unraid to reliably saturate a 1G link on writes? Even a fast SSD cache drive doesn't seem to help. I had an old xpenology box that was like 10 years old that seemed to write faster.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any trick to getting unraid to reliably saturate a 1G link on writes? Even a fast SSD cache drive doesn't seem to help. I had an old xpenology box that was like 10 years old that seemed to write faster.

I don't have a cache drive and I get very solid constant write performance on my unraid box. The main thing I did was enable turbo write (reconstruct write). No idea if it's on by default these days

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 25, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HalloKitty posted:

I don't have a cache drive and I get very solid constant write performance on my unraid box. The main thing I did was enable turbo write (reconstruct write). No idea if it's on my by default these days

Looks like the default is "Auto", I've changed it and will test. Thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know of a retailer doing deals on 10TB drives right now? I know Amazon has a decent one for 12s, but I’m trying to keep all my drive sizes consistent in my pool.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://slickdeals.net/f/14619292-10tb-wd-red-3-5-nas-5400-rpm-internal-hard-drive-189-free-shipping

Just saw this hit my deals feed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Warbird posted:

Anyone know of a retailer doing deals on 10TB drives right now? I know Amazon has a decent one for 12s, but I’m trying to keep all my drive sizes consistent in my pool.

Newegg has the WD Elements 10TB for $150 today with code EMCGGFN63

https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-ele...A2C&ignorebbr=1

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the difference between the WD Red 4TB for $80 and the WD Red Plus 4TB for $90 on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XVY99B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_jAuWFbFPECT52

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_sCuWFbYVFB58X

Some of my 3TBs are on their way out and I previously replaced one with a 4 so I might as well stay consistent, right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Red Plus is the new branding for lower-end CMR drives. Regular Red is now for the SMR drives that are bad for large arrays.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

KingKapalone posted:

What's the difference between the WD Red 4TB for $80 and the WD Red Plus 4TB for $90 on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XVY99B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_jAuWFbFPECT52

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_sCuWFbYVFB58X

Some of my 3TBs are on their way out and I previously replaced one with a 4 so I might as well stay consistent, right?

The WD Red uses SMR, while the WD Red Plus uses CMR. SMR is not good for a NAS and should be avoided. The only reason why the Red Plus line exists is because of how bad the SMR drives are.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Ok good to know. I got the Plus last time without knowing so that's reassuring.

edit: to confirm this message in TrueNAS means I should replace the drive?

freenas.local smartd 1718 - - Device: /dev/da7 [SAT], 40 Offline uncorrectable sectors

How about this one:

freenas.local smartd 1718 - - Device: /dev/da1 [SAT], Failed SMART usage Attribute: 184 End-to-End_Error.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 28, 2020

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

tuyop posted:

How frequently are you all encountering drive failures? I think I’ve lost two drives in my adult life and neither of them failed suddenly and led to data loss.

I had a drive die when I shorted out the controller board (swapping the board let me recover data, those were the days), and a year old M2 SSD die that was in a laptop I only powered on once a month or so.

I have had a ton of drives develop bad sectors, including both drives in my two bay NAS. The latter may have been a power cut, but the others never lost power and still did.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks so much for the replies! I actually have a bunch of drives already, so I don't need anything that includes them.

I guess something like this would also be OK? https://www.amazon.com/Yottamaster-Aluminum-External-Enclosure-SATA3-0/dp/B071ZP2HFK

A huge bonus is it looks like it supports something called "combined" mode?

If I set the DIP switches to combined mode I take it it will take all of my drives together and combine them as one drive? I would actually love that because dealing with drive letters in Windows is getting pretty overwhelming. Am I basically setting myself up for failure using a $160 no-name enclosure to combine all my drives together?

OK so small update if anyone cares.

I got this thing today and I have to say I am very impressed. I bought the USB 3.0 5 bay RAID version. The reason I bought the USB 3.0 version is I read the 3.1 version is simply 3.0 but with a USB-C cable :lol:

A few months back I had 5 of my 8TB Western Digital shucked drives completely die on me. As in, they stopped receiving power (no clicks of death or anything). I bought 5 8TB drives to replace them, then got to work trying to revive the drives.

It turned out my old Antec EarthWatts power supply was somehow frying my motherboards, CPU, and finally my hard drives. After posting pictures of the PCBs on HDDGuru, it was determined that a small fuse on the PCBs on each one of those drives was probably the culprit. In what is most likely the luckiest possible scenario for 40TB of lost data, I was able to revive all 5 drives by simply adding a blob of solder to bridge the fuse. All 5 of them worked after that. This was my first and only time ever successfully reviving a dead hard drive.

The fuse was way too small to replace for someone like me, so I decided to just leave the fuse "bridged". I know this is not a good idea, because if I my new PSU ever decides to fry these drives again, something more important is going to fry and they are probably toast. Not wanting to trust important data to these drives, I figured for the first time in my life I would actually back up some of my data (I have far too many full drives to back them all up); mostly the really important stuff like family photos or rare TV shows that are already on other drives. I was doing this by manually inserting one of the 5 drives into a USB dock about once a month, and copying and pasting the important files over to each drive. It was cumbersome and ridiculous to say the least.

So I wanted a way to have all 5 of these "fuse bridged" drives to be always hooked up at one time. Despite never hearing the name Yottamaster ever in my entire life, I have to say I am quite happy with it. I used the dip switches to put it in "combine" mode and sure enough, after plugging it in I get one nice big 40TB drive showing up in Windows. It's also made entirely of metal (the texture is like what a MacBook feels like) and it runs very, very cool. I've been copying/pasting important files to it for over two days now and I am getting no warmth out of it when I touch it. It's actually cold!

The only negatives I will say is that it doesn't seem to pass SMART data, so Stablebit Scanner is never going to be able to tell me if any of the drives plugged into it are on their way out. This doesn't matter to me too much though because this is being entirely used for backups of stuff that I already have on other drives. Also I am not sure if this is common or not, but I took one of the drives out of the enclosure and plugged it into my Windows machine and it would not recognize it. I was curious to see how this Yottamaster box organized the files across the drives but it looks like there's no way to find out.

Anyway I figured I'd give it a quick review and from my short time with it, I like it a lot.

Also since this is the first time in my life I am actually backing stuff up, I figured I'd ask; what does everyone here use as backup software in Windows? I think my old computer habits are showing that all I'm doing is copying and pasting files every month or so as a backup solution. Let's say this new 40TB drive is my Z:. And my drives with important data are the E:, F:, and G: drives. Is there some sort of software that will automatically copy all of the data from E,F, and G to the Z drive every X amount of days or something? Sorry if I'm describing it like an imbecile.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Macrium Reflect is the gold standard. Creates full and differential backups for free, incrementals for a cost. You can mount the images and browse the contents too. When you need to restore, it has a bootable USB image that you flash and point to your backup source. I have all my machines backing up to my UnRaid array and then shooting those up to Crashplan.

Question about Macrium. Since I’ve started using Crashplan I have found that my backup frequency and their slow upload speeds (I have 50mbit up, they throttle like crazy) it means I never have my backups in the cloud. I have moved to monthly full backups and weekly differential, but still it’s too much.

The Q: Is dealing with the differential and incremental backups the same as with the full? If I wanted to mount an image to browse how would I do so and include the dif/inc? So far I’ve simply mounted the full image in Windows and grabbed what I needed. Not sure if there’s another good way to do this. My thought is I can do fewer full backups (1 every 2 months) and pepper the diff/inc into Crashplan.

I haven’t paid for the software yet, so haven’t decided if the incrementals are worth it to install on 5 machines.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you move to incremental, you'll need every incremental between the last full and the date you want to restore. For differential, you only need the latest full and the differential from the date you want to restore. Incremental is smaller daily files, but you need ALL of them intact for a restore. For differential, you just need the one diff-file and the full.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Does Macrium only do partition and drive level backups, or can I somehow tell it to exclude a single folder and backup the rest of the drive? I've used it to transfer stuff between harddrives, but for backup being able to exclude unimportant things without redoing partition scheme would be useful.

E: Nvm apparently that is a paid feature.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 29, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is probably a ridiculous post but when I was plugging in the DC jack on one of my NASes I saw a yellow spark. I can't find anything wrong with the NAS and can access files on it OK, but is there anything else I should check to be sure? When the same thing happened on an external I had, I lost both the HDD and the enclosure.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I need some goon help. Basically I have been using mobos with a lot of SATA ports for my NAS. I'd like to not have to find mobos like this anymore. Obviously I need a PCIe sata card. From what I remember I need an LSI flashed to IT mode (for doing software raiding).

I need help selecting the correct card and cables. The OS will just be Windows 10 Pro and 10x Hitachi 4TB NAS drives. I would like about 12 SATA connectors... not sure how that is accomplished.

Should I be looking at something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-92...eAAAOSwoZle8b81?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Another solution is to tie a JBOD tower to your PC using the below card and a tower like this. Connect using the cable also linked below. Your PC will see it as if it's installed internally.

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Controller-Lsi00276-9201-16e-Express/dp/B005HBEXU0

https://www.pc-pitstop.com/scsat84xb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013G4F3A8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I posted this last week with what I’m using. I’d like someone else to confirm that it’d work for your use case, but I’m nearly certain that it will. I’m using it on UnRaid and it worked out of the box, never checked or anything about ‘IT Mode’.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

Hey I need some goon help. Basically I have been using mobos with a lot of SATA ports for my NAS. I'd like to not have to find mobos like this anymore. Obviously I need a PCIe sata card. From what I remember I need an LSI flashed to IT mode (for doing software raiding).

I need help selecting the correct card and cables. The OS will just be Windows 10 Pro and 10x Hitachi 4TB NAS drives. I would like about 12 SATA connectors... not sure how that is accomplished.

Should I be looking at something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-92...eAAAOSwoZle8b81?

Yes, those LSI 92xx SAS cards are the gold standard in inexpensive, robust, and compatible SATA/SAS expansion. The flashing process isn't particularly difficult if you do get one that doesn't already have IT firmware on it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

Yes, those LSI 92xx SAS cards are the gold standard in inexpensive, robust, and compatible SATA/SAS expansion. The flashing process isn't particularly difficult if you do get one that doesn't already have IT firmware on it.

OK save a few bux that way? Cool. Seems the cheapish ones have a max of 2 ports so 8 SATA drives? Do I need to buy 2x of them or maybe a different set of breakout cables?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

OK save a few bux that way? Cool. Seems the cheapish ones have a max of 2 ports so 8 SATA drives? Do I need to buy 2x of them or maybe a different set of breakout cables?

The "8i" in the model number means "8 internal ports." Each of the SAS connectors can accommodate a breakout cable with 4 SATA connectors. If you need more than 8 then you either need an additional card, or one of the "16i" models if you can find one at a reasonable price.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is probably a ridiculous post but when I was plugging in the DC jack on one of my NASes I saw a yellow spark. I can't find anything wrong with the NAS and can access files on it OK, but is there anything else I should check to be sure? When the same thing happened on an external I had, I lost both the HDD and the enclosure.

If the power supply was plugged in at the time or recently that's somewhat normal in my experience. Higher power DC supplies can generate some sparks if you let them. Try to avoid doing that, unplug the AC side first and plug it in last, but if it didn't break something immediately I wouldn't be concerned.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

If you get a LSI SAS HBA, you can get SAS expander(s) - which can be daisy chained as far as you like. They can be had for ~$15.
Here's someone doing 120 drives off a single HBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjFouPv6K-o

There's also the option of SATA multipliers, but those are less reliable.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 29, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you get a LSI SAS HBA, you can get SAS expander(s) - which can be daisy chained as far as you like. They can be had for ~$15.
Here's someone doing 120 drives off a single HBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjFouPv6K-o

There's also the option of SATA multipliers, but those are less reliable.

So I think one of these plus the HBA? https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PCIe-SA...yMAAOSwsMZdSFDD

Looks like i need at least 2x PCI 4x slots to make this work. Hmm.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

redeyes posted:

So I think one of these plus the HBA? https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PCIe-SA...yMAAOSwsMZdSFDD

Looks like i need at least 2x PCI 4x slots to make this work. Hmm.

The SAS expander really only needs PCIE power. From what I remember you can use those mining rig adapters that convert a 1x into a 16x over a USB cable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ok thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wolrah posted:

If the power supply was plugged in at the time or recently that's somewhat normal in my experience. Higher power DC supplies can generate some sparks if you let them. Try to avoid doing that, unplug the AC side first and plug it in last, but if it didn't break something immediately I wouldn't be concerned.

Yah agreed the DC can definitely arc a bit on insertion if there isn't a power switch on the device that controls the regulators. The best option is to plug into a power bar that has a power switch and then turn that on when everything is connected.

The arcing won't hurt a well designed system behind some regulators with proper power control circuitry but it can cause scorch marks on a barrel style plug sometimes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I got one of those $189 14tb Western Digital drives from Best Buy and the tests I like to perform before shucking a drive is to do a FULL format in Windows (this literally takes over an entire day to accomplish) and then run a deep SMART scan on the drive. However, for some reason I can't get this drive to show up in any of those programs. HDDScan 4.1 is the only one that even looks like it's going to attempt to scan it but it immediately shoots to 90% and then stays there forever when I try.

Is there any reason the standard Western Digital "WD Diagnostics" tool wouldn't be able to see the drive? It's hooked up over USB, not some wacky interface or anything.

edit: So this is interesting. This is the WD Diagnostics program that won't recognize the 14TB drive (but it recognizes all my other drives):

So I downloaded the WD Drive Utility program, which looks like this:

So I am guessing WD Diagnostics cannot detect USB drives, and inversely, the WD Drive Utility program ONLY detects USB drives.

Anyway I am having the same problem with the WD Drive Utility program as I had with HDDScan 4.1. The "full SMART scan" shoots right up to 90%, and then stays there seemingly forever. Is something wrong with this drive, or is 14TB so new that they just don't really scan properly or something?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is there a way to swap out disks on a SHR array without degrading the array? I have a couple of free slots, so I can put in more drives, but can I would like to mark a drive for removal, mark a drive for addition, and have the NAS sync up the new drive and only remove the old drive when that is done, to avoid degrading the array.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ika posted:

Is there a way to swap out disks on a SHR array without degrading the array? I have a couple of free slots, so I can put in more drives, but can I would like to mark a drive for removal, mark a drive for addition, and have the NAS sync up the new drive and only remove the old drive when that is done, to avoid degrading the array.
If you're asking whether the XOR function (which is used to provide one disks worth of distributed parity for striped disks, ie. equivalent to RAID5) can somehow be zero-copy switched to a Finite field (assuming SHR2 relies on Reed-Solomon like every other RAID6+ implementation) based mathematical function, then no, that's not possible.
Disk spares work by being available when one disk fails, but the resilver/rebuild still needs to happen.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you're asking whether the XOR function (which is used to provide one disks worth of distributed parity for striped disks, ie. equivalent to RAID5) can somehow be zero-copy switched to a Finite field (assuming SHR2 relies on Reed-Solomon like every other RAID6+ implementation) based mathematical function, then no, that's not possible.
Disk spares work by being available when one disk fails, but the resilver/rebuild still needs to happen.

No - I am asking something else.

If I have a SHR array of 5 x 8TB, and want to switch to say 5 x 14TB, I could take out a 8TB drive, put in a 14TB drive, and rebuild. Then repeat for each of the other disks. This means the array doesn't have redundancy for 5 rebuild cycles.

I want to be able to tell the NAS to clone the 8TB drive onto the 14TB drive, and keep the clone in sync as needed as data changes, and then once the clone is complete allow me to remove the 8TB drive from the array without causing the array to degrade (since the new drive is identical to the one I am removing).

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You mean rent 3x external 14TB drives from Best Buy?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

insta posted:

You mean rent 3x external 14TB drives from Best Buy?

Huh? I don't want to clone the data as seen from the file system, I want to clone the raw data as seen by the raid driver.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

No - I am asking something else.

Some Googling suggests that Synology may not be able to natively support what you're looking to do. All the recommendations involve pulling a drive and then rebuilding. While that would presumably be a slower process than a simple copy job, it should work fine. Unless you add new data to the array during the rebuild, even if there's some error somewhere along the way I'd think you should be able to pop your old drive back in and it should go back to a Healthy state.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ya I didn't find anything either, but thought there might be a way I missed.

Hmm, so the OS isn't on the raid itself? I assumed that the OS and any logs would change the data too much for me to be able to do that.

E: I just tried shutdown -> remove drive -> boot -> shutdown -> add drive, and it isn't accepting it. So that doesn't work.

Ika fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

Ya I didn't find anything either, but thought there might be a way I missed.

Hmm, so the OS isn't on the raid itself? I assumed that the OS and any logs would change the data too much for me to be able to do that.

The OS itself is, from what I remember, actually stored redundantly on each disk. I'll admit I'm not sure about where exactly the logs are stored.

In that I've yet to see anyone mention an option that isn't pull a drive and replace sequentially, I'm not sure you really have much of a choice other than rolling the dice with it anyhow. Or finding space somewhere to have a complete backup.