Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I have a computer running a hardware-based Raid-1 configuration with two 150 GB drives. I have two new 500 GB drives that I would like to use instead.

Here is my plan of action for migrating the array, please let me know if this should work or if there is a better solution

1) Remove single 150 GB drive from array
2) Replace with single 500 GB
3) Rebuild array
4) Remove other 150 GB drive
5) Boot onto liveCD and use GParted to extend the partition to take up the full disk (500 GB)
6) Attach second 500 GB drive
7) Rebuild array

What RAID controller are you using? I've created/rebuilt arrays with the tool inside of Windows, and created arrays in the BIOS of the card, but I wonder if you can resize a logical drive using gparted like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mido posted:

Naturally, as a computer guy, I think "Oh well we should just set up a 8TB RAID-1 or something on a $400 computer that is just a motherboard, 10/100/1000 network card and a bunch of high volume hard drives, running ubuntu & samba"

Is this a blatantly bad idea for any reason? Has anyone ever set up a NAS/SAN type thing for Final Cut Pro before? Are there things I'm not accounting for, like would it lag horribly in Final Cut and not be worth the effort? Ideally they'd edit their projects straight off the share to simplify things (try explaining to a bunch of 70 year olds how to push their project onto the server when they are done).

I would ask in the Openfiler or Freenas forums.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/index.php

http://www.openfiler.com/community/forums

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SopWATh posted:

Are there any good PCI SATA RAID controllers I should look for? I've got an old PIII Tualatin (Asus TUSL2-C) motherboard with a 1.0GHz P3 and 512MB of ram. It's old, but relatively low power and never breaks.

Tom's hardware gave this one a positive review:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HighPoint-RocketRAID-1640-SATA-RAID-PCI-card-4-channels-/150540835783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230ceedbc7

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-reliable-raid-5-storage-compared,832-5.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

For whatever reason, hard drive manufacturers have been releasing their largest HD's in external-only at first.

How long does it generally take before they sell them bare?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/12/five_platters_4_tb/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tom's Hardware has a review of the WD Red drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/red-wd20efrx-wd30efrx-nas,3248.html

TL;DR: They're pretty slow but they run way cooler and use less power than the rest of the drives out there.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 24, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have a Promise SmartStore DS4600 connected to a Mac Mini via Firewire. Our network file transfers have recently become very slow, which I have verified with a local disk benchmarking program. Writes are only going about 4MB/s but reads are going 30-40MB/s depending on whether I connect using FW800 or USB 2.0.

I loaded Promise's SmartNAVI program but SMART the drives are fine. There are two 2TB WD20EARS-00MVWB0, one is F/W 51.0AB51 and the other is 50.0AB50.

Should I buy a whole new NAS (we're using 1.5TB right now) or just get two new drives to replace what's in there? We backup each night to another external HD so I'm not worried about the data itself, I just don't want to spend a whole day re-initializing two brand new drives, restore our data, and then have the unit still act up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Those are 4k-sector drives, and the performance you're describing sounds like an alignment issue. Those drives aren't on the original compatibility list for that device, but they are on the most recent version. You might need to do a firmware update to ensure compatibility, but that still won't fix the current alignment issue without reinitializing the disks.

An alignment problem isn't going to just pop up over the weekend, right? This setup has been running for like 3 years.

I'm almost thinking of replacing it just go with a 3TB or 4TB model because it looks like we might cross the 2TB mark in a year or so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got our Mecury Elite Pro Qx2 today

Decent little box I guess. Replacing a Promise SmartStor. It'd be really nice if this thing had USB 3.0 though...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BackBlaze has a blog post that describes their third-generation storage pod:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

4TB drives allow for 180TB raw storage.

Total cost of $10,717.59 including the custom case, drives, etc. The trick is they can get the drives for way less than what they sell for on NewEgg.

(version 1.0 of their storage pod)

Any goons ever try building one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have three broken 2.0TB WD Greens on my desk right now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Splinter posted:

Alright, the Green is out. Is the Red the way to go, or are there other 7200 RPM 2TB drives I should consider? I mainly just want something that has a reasonable chance of not failing within a year or two. After reading some newegg reviews, it seems like people are reporting abnormally high failure rates with the Reds..

That blog post from Backblaze that I linked to talks about their recommended HD's and the Reds are on the list of approved drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Seagate is releasing a competitor to the WD Red, called 'NAS HDD'

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7062/seagate-introduces-nas-hdd-wd-red-gets-a-competitor

Available in 2, 3, and 4TB sizes

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/nas-drives/nas-hdd/?cmpid=friendly-_-solutions-nashdd-us

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You could do ESXi booting from iSCSI using FreeNAS or something

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

About how long will a rebuild take on a RAID 5 Synology with 5x3TB drives take? It's mostly full. loving WD Greens....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

About how long will a rebuild take on a RAID 5 Synology with 5x3TB drives take? It's mostly full. loving WD Greens....

It's been almost 24 hours and it's at 97%, 10648GB used, 336GB available.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moey posted:

That is faster than I would have expected.

The replacement drive (in the same slot) already threw an I/O error but it hasn't been marked as bad in SMART yet. Greens :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thoom posted:

I'm just saying it's possible that they'll eventually wise up.

On the subject of CrashPlan, my NAS's backup to their servers is going maddeningly slow (2Mbps). Is there anything I can do to speed that up? At this rate my initial backup is going to take months. So far I've tried increasing the CPU allowance to 80%, but that hasn't helped.

What kind of internet access do you have? More specifically, what is your upload speed? 2/20mb is pretty common (upload/download) if you're on cable internet in the USA.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thoom posted:

Google Fiber. The bottleneck is definitely not my internet. :)

Switch to BackBlaze they don't throttle :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I sent in a handful of WD Green 2.0 TB drives and they sent me back 3.0 TB NASWare drives. Are those basically Reds?

Also, any chance of them giving us 2.0 TB drives if we ask? I realize they are a free upgrade but we have external drive docks for offsite backups that only work with max 2.0 TB drives. I realize the real answer is to get newer docks, and we're pushing getting close to 1.7 TB in some of the backups anyway...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gendo posted:

Has anyone here built an array with 4TB drives? The Seagate 4TB NAS drives just dropped to 209.99 which makes them a better deal in terms of cost per gig than the 3TB WD Reds. I'm just nervous about the prospect of rebuild times for an array with 4TB members.

I'm going to be putting them in a Synology device (either the DS1812+ or DS1813+). Probably in a RAID-10 array.

We have Synology 1511's and 3TB volumes rebuild in under 24 hours. The amount of WD Greens we've had fail lately would make me feel safer using 5x4TB in RAID 6 instead of 5x3TB in RAID 5.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anandtech posted a 4TB NAS drive roundup

http://anandtech.com/show/7258/battle-of-the-4-tb-nas-drives-wd-red-and-seagate-nas-hdd-faceoff

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

By hermetically sealing hard drives and filling them with helium, Hitachi has crammed 7 platters inside a regular-height 3.5" drive to create a 6TB drive. They are shipping today but apparently if you don't work at a storage company or CDN you're not going to be able to buy one.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243751/6TB_helium_filled_hard_drives_take_flight_bump_capacity_50_

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

No, but if you aren't careful in certain conditions your hard drive can float off of your desk and bounce into the ceiling.

How many hard drives would it take to lift your whole PC off the table?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have nitrogen in my tires

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

No. The reason that vacuum does not make was already stated. Furthermore, we have had the ability to create long-lasting vacuum seals for over a hundred years. There are vacuum apparatus from the 1800s that are still under vacuum today.

To go even further, there would be no convective heat transfer in a hypothetical vacuum-sealed hard disk, which would lead to more complications that I wouldn't begin to speculate on.

Everybody has about 80% nitrogen in their tires except the suckers who pay extra for higher purity for some marketing-defined reasons.

Some people are joking

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have four 5-bay Synologies at work and they are fine except for when you reboot or power one off and you need to waiitn24 hrs for it to check the disks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BackBlaze did a good write up on hard drive failures -

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/11/12/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/

After 3 years your drives are living on borrowed time, statistically speaking.

After 4 years 80% of their drives are still alive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What kind of #'s do you get out of it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have 3 DS1511+ and 1 DS1512+ for backups at the office.

No complaints I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Buy like 20 and they'll ship them in a box like this

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BackBlaze has a new blog post up about enterprise vs consumer drives

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/12/04/enterprise-drive-reliability/

quote:

So, Are Enterprise Drives Worth The Cost?
From a pure reliability perspective, the data we have says the answer is clear: No.

Enterprise drives do have one advantage: longer warranties. That’s a benefit only if the higher price you pay for the longer warranty is less than what you expect to spend on replacing the drive.

This leads to an obvious conclusion: If you’re OK with buying the replacements yourself after the warranty is up, then buy the cheaper consumer drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yip Yips posted:

I guess this is a storage question. I'm looking for a way to automatically back up certain folders on one of my hard drives to a second drive, including files that have been added to those folders since the last backup.

I guess that's not a question at all but oh well.

You want a program that can do incremental backups - Robocopy on Windows or rsync on Linux

But what you really want is backup software that can do all kinds of things like schedules etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kiwid posted:

Keep in mind, if you gently caress up your source files and robocopy syncs, you have no actual backup.

Keep the folder in your user profile and use the built in Windows 7 backup or Windows 8 file history.

Right - you want something that will let you go back and look at the previous X versions of a file.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the flying gently caress is a 2.5TB HD?

Got one from WD as a refurb in exchange for a busted 2.0TB drive. Is it a 3.0TB drive with half a busted platter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Last time I RMAed a bunch of drives, neither Seagate or Western Digital even charged me for advanced replacement, it was just the default option.

How long ago was that?

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

A credit card is required, but they don't charge it unless you don't return the drives.

They've put a $200 or $300 charge on the card I used before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a hold? Would show up as a pending charge.

Right, that's what I meant. I mean it's not a big deal but they do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A UPS is a must-have. The last thing you want is your NAS losing power and then waiting 24+ hours for it to check the disks. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BackBlaze made a 270TB pod out of some 6TB drives

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/why-now-is-the-time-for-backblaze-to-build-a-270-tb-storage-pod/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/desktop/Barracuda%207200.10/100402369f.pdf

Seagate ST3750640A 750Gb 7200rpm 16Mb....Ultra IDE

This has to be the biggest PATA drive ever made right? I don't think they ever got to 1T before the interface was dead-dead.

Pretty sure that's the biggest 3.5" drive, and 320GB is the biggest 2.5" drive. Probably easier to just get a SATA card instead of paying the premium for the biggest PATA drives.

Not sure if you used a SATA to PATA adapter, if the BIOS would even pick it up?