Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have an extremely basic question about using a RAID drive alongside an old mac mini as a server in order to digitize and stream my dvd collection over plex or a similar service. Let's say I have 4tb or so of data after ripping all my old dvds: can I just get an 8-10tb RAID 1 external drive to store the data, leave it on all the time, and be reasonably certain that the redundancy provided by the second drive will be enough to (reasonably) ensure that I won't have to rip everything a second time?

I have given some thought to getting a second drive just to back up everything from the main drive and just leaving it somewhere as a back-up, should both drives in the RAID fail for whatever reason.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I'm imagining ripping all the dvds will be somewhat labor intensive and I don't feel great about the thought of having to do it twice. I've also considered getting a NAS to use as a server rather than a mac mini, but I feel like it would be about half the cost and integrate into the rest of my mac poo poo more easily (thinking of using plex with an apple tv to stream).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU