Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MMD3 posted:

if it's really as easy as taking a screwdriver/dremel to the case then I guess I'm good w/ that.

Any concerns about speed with those?

I think my most recent shuck took me 5 minutes because I was on a work zoom call and didn't have access to any tools. I was stuck doing it with a few credit cards like a schmuck instead of my usual flathead screwdiver and the sound of plastic tabs snapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Two interesting (well, to me ... lol, sorry!) developments in my drive replacement in an HP N40L running FreeNAS:

The other development - I realized that the only reason I realized I was getting SMART errors is that I was forced to directly access (i.e., hook it up to a screen) the NAS to reinstall FreeNAS. The boot sequence showed SMART status BAD for the drive, but FreeNAS was still reporting it as good.

I would kick it back to them. I wouldn't risk the mystery given the bad sensor reading.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have things cleverly named "Nas" and "nucaduck" and "ducks" (desktop) and "colorshredder" (color laser printer). Everything else is whatever came out of the box.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Uhhh... is Crashplan too good to be true? I just signed up for the 30-day trial and it's unlimited data for $10/mo. I just downloaded a docker on my UnRaid and pointed at the account and am currently uploading shares to it. Has anyone here actually backed up their whole array, including ISOs? At some point do they come and bother you about using up too much of the 'unlimited' space? Or is there some other drawback like what happens if you go get the data out of them?

I may just end up keeping my not-easily replaceable items there which is far less space, but wowza, seems too good to be true.

I last used it when they had a consumer play and the drawbacks were it was a monstrous java application with super slow upload speeds. Have they fixed at least the second half of that?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrDork posted:

You can get moderately ok sorta speeds if you increase the threading on it (accessible in the Java app). It's still not great, though. I have symmetric 1Gb FIOS and normally was struggling to top ~150Mbps up.

So, "no". :v:

I use backblaze and it's the same hoops to do a network drive, I just use B2 for my NAS and the desktop client for my remotely supported family.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Is there a backblaze plan that's somewhat competitive to the Crashplan? I've seen the $5/TB/Month plan. If I get wait a few days/weeks I can get 10-20TB onto CP (oh god not that acronym).

I guess this is the point of the 30-day trial.

Their desktop client is flat rate, I have 5 licenses for that. B2 is pay per byte. I pay around $15/month for B2 but really need to prune out some stuff. I also don't backup my Linux isos.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone know of a NAS that might only use like, a pair or trio of 2.5" drives? Trying to fit everything into a 4-inch-wide wallbox is harder than I thought it would be.

Spinners or ssd? If they're SSD's just command strip those suckers in place. HDD's you need to be wary of the breather hole and make sure there is a little more airflow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Shiiiiiit. That's less than what a 4tb drive costs here.

This seems like a local issue but, no joke, the 4TB drives (even Barracudas and Reds and what not), are more expensive than the 4TB HGST Ultrastar I bought 3 years ago. I get that it's not the best value capacity any more but it doesn't get much better at 6 or 8, and 14TB is at least $450. I thought Thailand was under water again, but the cave boys were at least a year or two agao :wtc:

Do you just harvest the drives or use them as is? Seems like a good source for cheaper disks but then you probably lose the warranty which is a bummer.

You shuck em. Aka crack open the hard exterior for their juicy disk interior. Then you throw away everything that isn't the hard drive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I just got an empty Synology 8 bay NAS and I'm curious what the best drive is to get for these. I'm not really constrained by budget... My current NAS is about 8tb total and I'd like to increase that capacity significantly.

Scroll up and get your shuck game on. Toss in a cheap ssd as a read cache. Unless you have absurd performance needs 5400 rpm shucked disks are going to be fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have an external HDD I'd like to slap into a new Synology unit. It's an HFS drive and I'm wondering if there's a way to put it in the Synology without reformatting it and having to backup/restore the data on it. Maybe I could convert the partition to btrfs?

You're going to have to reformat it at some point. This article infers you can just mount it, copy it, then erase it.

https://www.ryanbosinger.com/blog/2019/04/14/synology-nas-external-usb-drive-formatted-hfs-read-and-write.html

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sure, if I have another 10tb+ drive handy, which I don't.

Then no. You need a buffer to get the disk in there, especially as hfs+.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

How frequently are you all encountering drive failures? I think I’ve lost two drives in my adult life and neither of them failed suddenly and led to data loss.

In home use? 3. In commercial use? Literally thousands. I am 38.

It's basically the lottery for home users, across 1000 people with 1 disk each you will have 1 failure a year. Now you as a nerd have 10 disks in your house between laptops, desktops, and your NAS. Suddenly your odds of being struck by random failure go up. Now you use the disks beyond the far side of the bathtub curve, some will last 10 years but most will not, suddenly the age adjusted rate of failure is 1 in 100 per year across 1000 disks. Every year a disk runs past the edge of the bathtub curve buys you more and more lottery tickets per year.

Now commercial use has a whole city of hard drives in a few hundred square feet. By year 3 I would be seeing 1 a day per few thousand disks, give or take. Year 4 it's 1 per thousand probably.

(I just made this up to illustrate the point. Actual rates are different than this.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What you want isn't there, and I understand what you're trying to do. I tried to do it myself. If you are super gung ho to try this and understand how `dd` works and have another server and don't mind hating your life if it fails, give it a go. Report back. :v:

Coming from Netapp in a previous life, I wanted this command:
http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-900%2Fstorage__disk__replace.html

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

That said before I move too much crap on them, would it make sense to add a bootable SSD? I have an 128gb one sitting all useless in an old PC so it might make sense for the OS, cache, or to let the other drives spin down when not used (which is 99% of the time)

Add a cache drive, fine. Don't pretend the synology won't spend all drat day spinning those things up and down though, just leave them all on. I didn't even realize there was a way for it to have the "OS" on a dedicated disk - it sounds like a terrible idea. If you only have 4 bays you're going to be limited to 16TB usable @ 3x8TB disks. I wouldn't bother with a cache disk. Add ram if you can.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Wondering if anyone has set up a VM within Gsuite to serve a Plex library also hosted by Gsuite, encrypted and mounted with rclone? It's taken me about 8 hours over the past 2 days but I learned a lot and now in theory I can share a library of an arbitrarily large size with excellent speed to anywhere for $12/month (Gsuite) and some VM hosting costs, offset by $300 for free over the first 3 months. I am counting on the fact that Google doesn't scan mounted, de-encrypted folders within their customers' VMs, of course.

How much do you pay for egress bandwidth? That is generally where cloud providers bend you over the barrel.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

I'm trying to figure that out...from what I can tell it's $0.11/GiB. Not sure how fast that's going to add up without any users other than myself but have $300/3 months to gather data.

Make sure you watch it like a hawk. You can blow through bandwidth very easily. It shouldn't be too bad though looking at the math that's like 113 viewing days at 1gb/hr right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Has anyone experienced SMART providing different temperatures for the same drive depending on the host PC? I'm running UnRaid to my JBOD tower (where the hard drive sits) and it is constantly throwing high temperature errors by UnRaid (46-50-ish). However, I temporarily had my UnRaid hosted by a completely different desktop connected to the same JBOD but never once saw the temps over 35 and never got a temp error. That drive had spent some time in the first case and received the same high temp errors so it's almost as if that specific motherboard is reading the SMART higher for that drive alone.

Makes me want to disregard the error, but hate dismissing warnings as crying wolf for when the wolf actually comes to town. Also, irritating getting frequent emails and array failure reports because one drive is slightly warm by its measure.

Is one controlling the fan speed... somehow? Are they running different versions of SMART ("smartmontools")? Are they running different kernel/OS versions? Same interface card to the JBOD? You should be able to dump out the raw sensor info... somewhere.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

They're booting off of the exact same USB stick, so all of the settings and programs should be the same. Same card for the JBOD (LSI) also. When I switch machines I unplug the JBOD, pull out the LSI card and the Cache drive (nVME on a PCI card) and then drop them in the other. Plug in the USB and boot, so very little differences.

It's really strange.

Yeah that's an odd one. I would email them with the list of part make+model's with a description of the problem and see what they say.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Just got a synology, getting started with all this backup stuff. Looking for advice on remote backup options.

First of all, assuming I should avoid some cloud-sync type setup because that isn't a backup (i.e. deletions and corruptions get replicated)? Or am I ok to do something like this and set it up to sync on a weekly frequency or whatever? To be honest I'm more worried about accidental destruction of the drives (failure/fire/theft/etc) than I am about something like an encryption scam so perhaps this is my best option.

Second, is there a recommended provider to use for this? I am planning for a capacity of 2TB which looks like it ends up being somewhere in the ballpark of $100/yr.

B2 integrates nicely and supports versioning, which helps with accidental deletion and cryptolockering. It does not help with corruption without a huge amount of work on your part.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H2SO4 posted:

From what I can tell, BackBlaze B2 and Wasabi both have similar pricing structures but Wasabi doesn't charge for egress traffic. The fine print on that is that if you download more from them in a month than total data you've got stored with them then you're "not a good fit" - meaning if you have 100TB stored with them in total but you download more than 100TB in a single month then that's a no-no.

Wasabi will let you pay for bandwidth, just like B2. At least their reps tell me that on the commercial side. You just need to have an estimate up front and it helps if you're hooked up to aws us-east-1. For a consumer though downloading from Wasabi or B2 should be a once or never thing, fingers crossed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Most dedupe on a robust cow-snapshot capable filesystem is a engineering and implementation mistake on the user side. Change my mind.

For a home user where it's mostly media files I simply can't see a huge benefit. You aren't shipping storage to 1000 users who then make 1000 copies of the same file because they download it to their desktop which is then mapped to a remote file share.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Obligatory gently caress ipcamtalk and gently caress fenderman. Do NOT go to that website.

Well I mean this just makes me want to go, care to elaborate?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jamus posted:

I’ve been thinking about using a pair of intel optane SSDs for write caching on my synology, with the theory being that they’re meant for caching and have much higher endurance (esp. when full) than regular SSDs.

I’m also not really after any speed benefits, I’m hoping a 50GB read/write cache will stop my various media centre docker containers accessing a spinning disk every few minutes and maybe make the thing quieter, or even get to a point where it makes sense to spin the disks down if nobody is watching a movie or accessing files.

I can’t find anything telling me that either of these will work, since all the information online is essentially “don’t use SSDs, they’ll fail quickly and you probably don’t need the speed”

Don't do it. I don't care about quality of flash, I mostly wouldn't trust the synology itself. :v: I use an SSD for a read cache which I like to pretend helps. It has like a 50% hit rate for my workload.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is it inadvisable to get some refurbished lenovo tower for ~$200 on newegg and just drop a couple WD Reds in there to use for unraid?

I mean, I wouldn't advise paying full rate for those WD Reds when for the same price you can self insure some shucked disks that hold twice the data.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

In a Synology system, is the SHR configuration stored on the constituent disks or the Synology itself?

By which I mean, if the Synology itself takes a poo poo, will dropping the drives into an equal enclosure restore the array or is it a more complex process?

e: Sorry, I think I found the answer a minute after posting this. Looks like it's potentially just as easy as moving the drives.

Stored on the disks. I've done it. (same model synology though.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Disable swap. Add ram.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Swap is for cowards. Especially on a dedicated NAS device.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Decommisioning harddrives shouldn't involve the idea of DBANing, secure erasing, or anything else, because it turns out that with the equivalent of a scanning electron microscope but for electromagnetism, you can read data off disks that have had the data overwritten more than 7 times, even if it's entirely random data that's been written.

This is not a thing for a home user. If you're storing state secrets they should be encrypted end of story. If you're worried about identity theft then a single pass of zeros is all you need. SSD's provide a mechanism for it as well. Physical destruction is a last resort. If you want a quick way to recycle it hit the circuit board with the claw end of a hammer and be done with it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's edging into :goonsay: levels of under the hood technicalities. When you page in/out you could be moving to various different devices, one of which is swap. I believe this is also how you make new copies of pages in your local Numa node, I assume it's how like Intel handles their persistent memory dimms confusingly named optane.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cloudflare offers their CDN / caching services for free on personal accounts as well.

I don't know how on earth they justify it other than the total usage probably being a rounding error compared to their global scale, but for $free.99 and easy to implement, I'll take it.

It's incredibly limited compared to their enterprise product. I believe it's a loss leader to get you in the door, it worked for me. That being said, I'm less than impressed with the enterprise product but I've also been seriously spoiled by Akamai in the past.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

drives in raid 0

This is super dumb. You're going to loose 100% of your files every time a disk dies. Either do it as a jbod or do it as SHR/SHR2. As described you might as well just slap a unshucked 10tb disk onto your computer as USB.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well I mean the viable alternative is raid 10 but then that's half the storage space. I'd probably go for raid 5 because it's unlikely for more than 1 drive to fail at a time, although I have seen entire arrays go down at once, it's uncommon enough in raid 5 that businesses have sued the supplier over it. For a person like me it's fine, i'd be backing up anything anyways

JBOD sounds fine, actually

Yeah it's raid0 that makes my eyes twitch. You would get only downsides and 0 upside. Jbod is at least the same odds of a single disk dying with 1/4 the impact. I would do shr1 and call it a day. You're shucking disks right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've done that before, it seems like it's a little cheaper, at $170 for an external (5400/5900rpm) vs $218 7200rpm for 10TB. Bigger drives than that seem too much per gigabyte I think. Voids the warranty, but when they're this cheap does it really matter for watching movies lol

Definitely shuck. 7200rpm isn't buying you anything here. Also if you're going to do it without any resiliency I wouldn't bother spending a premium on a Synology. If you do SHR1 then sure.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I suppose I could just build a miniatx box/server but :effort:

As long as it's a decision where you have all the available information spend your money as you see fit. :v: I love my synology.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EC posted:

It's a shame the DS1520+ only has 5 bays. I was looking at the Ds1821+ but it seems to have the same basic specs as the DS1621+ just with two more drive bays.

If you're getting into the territory where you have more users transcoding than space and network you shouldn't run plex on the NAS. Ironically the ram is unlikely to have much impact on plex workloads unless your plex ram usage itself for the database or whatever balloons up. Using it as block cache on large media files isn't going to save you unless you have small files (1gb/hr) and very high hot spotting (lots of users watching the same few things.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Should never have posted this, tremendous self own incoming:

Installed the beta branch of Unraid since the old nvidia plugin was deprecated and rolled into the OS. Apparently my flash boot drive died at some point, so reboot failed. No problem, grabbed a new flash drive, restored backup, and transferred my license to the new USB drive. Figured all was well, slammed the start array button, and only then noticed that I restored the wrong backup. A backup made before I added two new drives, one of which replaced the old parity drive. Stopped the array immediately, but damage was done. Whatever was stored on that 8tb former parity drive is gone now =(

Fortunately it's all crap I can replace, but I will be kicking myself over that for a while.

If this resulted in data loss that's a critical bug. Unraid should be storing a copy of the current disk metadata setup on every disk. Restoring the boot drive from backup should not destroy your array.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

- Restored backup from when server had 6 8tb drives, 1 parity and 5 data. In the past year I added 2 12tb drives, one of which became the new parity and the old 8tb parity drive was cleaned and added to the array as a data drive.

- Backup reordered the drive assignments, put the old 8tb parity drive back in the parity slot and left the two 12tb drives unmounted. I hosed up by not noticing this before starting the array.

Basically the backup should not be caring about the drive configuration as it knew it. It should be reading a copy off each disk and comparing a monotonic/vector-based version counter to the uuid's of the disks. If they disagree it should make you make a decision. The backup of unraid itself should be the metadata of last resort. If it cannot reconcile itself it should print out the label information so that you can compare it to the disks. (serial+model are exposed to the os and on the sticker.) If you lose data this should be a p1 bug to unraid. Losing lovely flash boot medium is probably the most common form of failure for unraid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I really wish I had some source code to read, because I keep getting different mutually-exclusive descriptions, and some which are not technically possible the way people describe them.
Granted, my understanding isn't perfect, but to the best of my knowledge you cannot have P+Q recovery without distributed parity records, while also getting the best advantages of a SPAN array without any of the downsides, and at the same time having mirrored parity drives.
Computers aren't magic, and mathematics don't work like that

This was bothering me too, knowing unraid works at the file level yet has parity that can rebuild arbitrary drives. How do they do the chunking to know what the parity value is if it's not a block boundary like raid4/5/6. Google got me a description but not code. The answer is apparently that they work parity at the device level? It says they do it bit by bit and that's why they have to do zeroing.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Parity

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

After a few years of working fine, I got these from my FreeNAS security output yesterday.
Reading around sounds like it could be bad cable... should I just find the serial for ada2, open up and replace SATA connector? Or go ahead and prepare for the worst?

The drives are 2 years old, onboard Intel SATA controller, 6 drives total in RAIDZ2 config.

code:
freenas.hed.lan kernel log messages:
> (ada2:ahcich3:0:0:0): READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 00 e0 c6 4c 40 7f 02 00 01 00 00
> (ada2:ahcich3:0:0:0): CAM status: Uncorrectable parity/CRC error

Cable, disk, or motherboard port. Those are your options. Probably your disk if you haven't been screwing around inside the case lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Dat disk is ded. Do a forward rma with the vendor with that output. Or just say your pool failed it out.