Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Is it possible to create ZFS arrays from partitions/slices?

Sun strongly advises against this, but it does technically work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

friendship waffle posted:

wouldn't this kill performance completely

Yup. Block allocation is completely written to assume that your devices are one spindle iirc. You also have to be extremely careful about not loving up where your disks land so you don't wind up doing something braindead like putting 2 slices of the same vdev on the same spindle, but that is true when you're doing any kind of controller splitting, etc.

It's listed in the docs as being for debugging purposes only.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Putting multiple slices from the same vdev wouldn't be so terrible if you're using an SSD.

I meant it from a data protection standpoint, not an I/O contention standpoint.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Allistar posted:

$95.00 and change.

You'll even turn a profit on shitcanning that P4! I would also suggest going dual core. It's typically a really cheap upgrade for a massive boost to the useful life of your system.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Umm, every other review on Newegg says the fans are loud as gently caress. But really, if it's that loud I'll have to reconsider it for placement in the garage in a 12U enclosed rack. I'm not sure what a good set of fans to replace the Deltas would be considering airflow is a big, big concern with so many drives.

It's a server chassis made for a datacenter. "Quiet" isn't on their mind. Delta fans are awesome fans, but I wouldn't put this in my house. Garage, sure.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

It's a really low quality case that I wouldn't put in a datacenter unless I'm doing some crazy low-cost storage project is the thing, and there's a bedroom next to my garage, so I wouldn't want something so loud you can hear it easily outside the garage even. I just wish there was a better option for 12+ drives in a box for home users besides some rackmounted monstrosity like this, but given how much data it potentially holds, I'll have to treat it like a professional datacenter setup.

Out of curiosity, what specifically is low quality about that case? It appears to be metal, metal, metal, some plastic, some Delta fans, and a power button? Plus, if your walls are so hollow why not insulate them? It will add value to your home and you will sleep better at night.

And if you don't want a datacenter-esque case, why look at rackmounts at all? I'm sure you could build a really bitchin full tower with 12+ drives in it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

The thickness of the metal (merely "adequate") along with the flimsiness of the drive trays was mentioned in a lot of reviews I've read, along with the backplanes having the molex connectors hot-glued on there poorly. I know I shouldn't expect much for a $340 4u case, but I want to feel like my data is physically sound at least. The poster I quoted said that he could hear the fans in the next room over, and given how sounds bounce in a garage, it'd be awful.

I'm not sure what you expect. Something like a SuperMicro chassis for apparently $1800* also sounds like a jet engine, the drive caddy's are a thin finger-bendable aluminum, and the backplanes tend to come with at least one or two dud/flaky ports per 4-8 bought. Thumpers have very sturdy drive caddy's, but are deafeningly loud. A Xyratex enclosure is certainly sturdy and "well built", likely not to be any dead ports, and screaming loud. Get ready with your credit card though, because it's going to cost you.

If you want your data to be "physically sound" then it's time to get spendy on your RAID card (LSI only, really) and motherboard. If you want cheap or quiet you're looking at non-rack mount, and not dense. Get yourself some rack shelves and long SAS expander cables to link your chassis' together.

* http://www.8anet.com/ShowProduct.aspx?pid=7259 , http://rdr.to/0mS , wtf $1800? Is there a motherboard/cpu/ram in that I am missing? I guess 3x1800W power supplies.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

That's got 24 bays in the front and another 12 in the back. That case is :psyduck:

I think I linked the straight 24-bay one, the 24+21 cases though are my new favorite cases.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E26-RJBOD1.cfm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

calandryll posted:

If you plan on having it in a room you sleep in, I would recommend downloading the plugin that controls the LEDs because it is bright as hell. It says NV/NV+ but works fine on the DUO.

I keep a bottle of black nail polish to deal with excessively stupid LED's on electronic devices. Works like a charm, and is somewhat reversible should you decide you don't like it. Best dollar I ever spent on electronics, even if it sometimes takes two or three coats.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jamy posted:

The one thing I dislike about the case is that when you attach the sata cables to the HDs in the internal 3.5" bays, the door kinda squishes the cables a bit due to lack of room and just doesn't feel right.

Did you use 90 degree cables?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jamy posted:

No :bang:

What you're saying is it's not an inherent design flaw in the case, but operator error? :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you have any free PCI slots? (32-bit, -X, -E) Pickup a SATA card, the non-raid ones are pretty cheap. Steer clear of the $20 rosewill's if you want durability, but otherwise you should be fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone offer anything like Crashplan's family plan? Backing up to my server isn't a huge deal, but it was nice to throw my mom's and wife's computers on my plan without having to decide if it was worth $50 a year or not to back up a couple gigabytes of data.

This is pretty much me as well, locally I need something that could preferably run directly on my Synology. Remotely I love getting that email from Crashplan that my parents and in-law's computers are all checked in and at 100%. I'm not going to cobble together a series of cron jobs, alerting, and bullshit to backup my dad's windows computer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just chiming in to say that Synology support just RMA'd my 4 year old (3 year warranty) DS1815+ with no questions asked. Unit started doing constant raid scrubbing (`cat /proc/mdstat` showed "the big volume" resyncing constantly), hanging file services, and eventually failing to stay on after pressing the power button. Told them this and the initial reply back was them mailing me a new unit. A+ would spend far too much money again. No BS, no "have you tried not having disks" etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

Sounds like you just barely made the 4 year cutoff for the C2000 bug - they extended the warranties of all the XX15+ models by a year as their response to it.

Ah, I'll be damned. I vaguely recall the C2000 bug and had completely forgotten my Synology was affected by it. I am in fact rounding up a little over 3.5 years to 4 so that would explain it. I guess I should expect to replace this unit in 3 years or is the hardware bug fixed? Google is yielding lots of teeth gnashing and pre-recall "everything is fine" notices from Synology.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

They will probably send you a refurbished unit that they have repaired - if I remember right they solder a resistor onto the board somewhere and supposedly that fixes it, but I can't remember for sure. I can't imagine the replacement unit you get would suffer from the same issue though.

Supposedly you can just transfer the drives to the new unit and it will boot right up.

That is actually where I'm at - Unit arrived Friday forward shipped with $800 auth'd on my credit card. Transferred the disks over 1 at a time into their same slots, booted up, raid resync'd in ~8ish hours. Now I am back doing file services again, time machine on my laptop is happy to have a target again and the synology is sync'ing up to B2 as we speak.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spog posted:

Should have specified my reasoning, sorry.

It's not internet facing so I feel fairly safe. My worry is physical theft - if someone were to break into my home, they would have all my personal/financial information -passwords are obviously kept encrypted or trucrypted but they could do a lot of damage with everything else.

You can get versioning + encryption through Backblaze B2 if you want to do that. It won't happen locally on your device though, so you are beholden to sync schedules to cut new versions. What are you using for offsite backup of your pictures?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spog posted:

Good suggestion and appreciated, but my tinfoil hat prevent me from using cloud storage for my personal docs.
Apart from the backup of everything on a second HDD inside the NAS, I have a weekly backup onto a HDD in a fireproof safe.

My photos are Glaciered: 100GB stored for $0.60/month seems like a steal

Your financial documents are probably the least important thing on your synology which is why I didn't mention them. :v:

For your tin foilness: The B2 system does encryption locally then uploads. It's on you to maintain the key. I would suggest printing it out and storing it in a safe deposit box along with a copy of your home owners/renters insurance policy.

Glacier was always so flaky for me on uploading a zillion small documents, I'm glad it's working for you. :toot: That being said I think upgrading the Synology firmware fixed most of that, but by then everything was in B2.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Aragaith posted:

Got a question for you all. I'm looking for a raid5 controller that isn't complete garbage for specs. This is to fill in for replacement of failing hardware for a camera system that is on a short budget so I can't sadly spec out a separate freenas machine for storage purposes, have to add this to a windows 7 box and all I have found are software raid controllers or hardware ones that only support 2TB max raid size.

Last person who set this system up just used a giant pile of random sized hard drives and some are failing so we are trying to swap it over to 3x4TB drives in raid 5 so there is some local redundancy.

Spend 500-700 on whatever Avago is putting out from their old LSI line. Are you sure you don't have budget for a Linux software raid device? You're not far off if you already have disks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sheep posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on external 6-8 drive enclosures? USB3/UASP preferably though SATA would work as well. There's some stuff on Amazon that looks like it'd fit the bill but the prices are all over the place and I've never heard of like 90% of the brands.

What are you trying to accomplish here and what is your budget? A synology 8-bay enclosure will get you 8 bays converted into smb/afp/nfs, but no usb-out for $1000 (plus drives.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-DS1817-8GB-Diskless/dp/B06Y4TJL54/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So my Synology units are only getting accessed for a couple hours 2 or 3 times a week. The rest of the time I'd like to have the drives spun down and the units consuming a minimum in power, mostly for wear and tear reasons. I tried the "advanced HDD hibernation" mode, but it takes ~20 seconds to start up and respond when you try to access them – fine for me but not for family who will get errors when they try to access content. Whats the best way to minimize wear and tear / power use while still having the units be responsive?

What is erroring out so quickly? Ours is mounted video NFS for plex, afp on macs, and smb on windows all the time and nothing errors out. It just stalls while the disks spin up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Niche question: I am having trouble installing GOG games off my repo on my server. They appear to install correctly but when you go to run them they're missing files. Works fine if I copy them over to the PC before installing, works fine if it's just a single EXE, so I suspect something about the bin files is wrong but I haven't pinned down the cause more accurately than that. Ideas on how to fix that?

Map the drive to a letter and try again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TIL. Thanks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha, I'm way past "have you mapped it to a drive letter" territory. I'm into "have you considered [dumb SMB edge case]" territory now.

iirc there is also a sharp edge here if you try to map a directory as both a NFS and a SMB share on ZFS

Yeah, trying the simplest thing first and all. Yesterday I was about to murder a vm because it turns out docker and selinux don't work well together out of the box on centos. `setenforce 0` it is!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

salted hash browns posted:

What is the best cloud backup solution for a synology that lets me encrypt and manage my own private keys?

Backblaze (no option to manage my own key)

Backblaze B2. I got a PEM file from it. It uses some form of PBKDF so you can either manage the PEM or manage the password.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is there any advantage to getting an external NAS and NAS drives versus getting a few extra traditional internal hard drives and setting them up with a plex server on a raid array on my existing desktop computer?

Push button configuration of your array, often push button configuration for expansion. You also suddenly get a always online target for things like Mac Time Machine backups if that's something of interest. I do just use my NAS as a file server though, it doesn't do anything else. (So: Windows, Apple, and NFS file sharing. It beacons and provides time machine backup target, I've used it for its NVR capability, music sharing, that sort of thing. Nothing "compute intensive.")

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Another (related) question.

I have a bunch of hard drives both internal and extrnal that i've built up over the years but i think through doing imprecise and sloppy backups that I have a lot of duplicates.

Before I clean house what is the best way/program to get rid of duplicate files?

How much data are you talking about here? If it's a hundred gigs of various copies in total just keep it all. If there are some bulky directories (music, movies) those should be excluded as they are trivially merged. Pictures are the tricky one and I just err on keeping everything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

I built a machine to set up a NAS with some disks I have lying around, so far pretty impressed with unraid, it's so incredibly easy to use. I like that you set up the shares and then don't have to care about which disks hold your data.

However, I'm only getting around 60MB/s transfer speed, when gigabit ethernet is supposed to go up to 125MB/s, both machines are connected via ethernet cable to the same gigabit switch, what else could be causing it not to reach full speed?

Can you run "iperf" on both machines? Before looking too hard at your setup I would make sure your switch can actually push the packets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

Interesting, so judging by this the network is fine and the slowdown would be somewhere else

Correct.

I would run `top -c` on your unraid machine while copying a massive file. See if any single cpu thread is pegged out. `iostat -x 2` (ignore the first output always) will show you disk subsystem stuff. Open a few terminals and get this stuff going.

Is the problem when reading, writing, or both? Writing points to disk subsystem slowdowns, cpu parity calculation (unlikely), or smb implementation being poor one one side or the other. Disk subsystem could be a single slow drive dragging down your speeds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I'm about to finish filling up 32TB of storage on my Synology DS418j, and all the bays are in use. Piiiisss.

Is there any disadvantage to expanding it by hooking up another Easystore to the USB port, versus the performance/longevity I'd get by using it internally?

Those disks will have net slower performance because the USB will be a choke point. I would make it it's own array so you can handle it separately when things happen.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

Can't you get one of synology expansion units and just start filling that up with drives? I believer they plug in the back of each other via esata which should be much faster than USB.

That unit doesn't have esata that I saw.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I currently have a Ubuntu file server with 3x 3TB WD REDs in RAIDZ. Disk are just over 5 years old and the array is full. Looking to replace them all. Data will be copied from old array to new array.

Would you rather have more drives in a higher RAIDZ mode or fewer larger drives in a lower RAIDZ mode?

For example:

5x 6TB WD Reds in RAIDZ2 for 18TB of usable storage with 2 parity

or

3x 10TB WD Reds in RAIDZ for 20TB of usable storage with 1 parity

Cost for each option is close enough that it's not factor for me. The extra 2TB isn't a big concern for me either. I am more concerned about reliability and data loss issues.

You want dual parity in both scenarios, thus the first option.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I found this calculator and if I am using it right, it does look like 5x 6TB should have a much lower chance of data loss due to drive failure.

edit: forgot to paste the link http://wintelguy.com/raidmttdl.pl

Correct.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

In keeping with this theme, I'm in a similar situation. I have a Synology DS213j that's about 5 years old. Runs like a top, no problems ever. But, the transfer speed is slow as hell, takes more than an hour to move 50 gb.

H2SO4 posted:

That's about right for a saturated 100Mbit link. Check to see that both client and server (and anything inbetween if applicable) are negotiating at gigabit speeds.

This is almost certainly your problem. Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFD0SMC/ may solve your woes if your router (ISP provided?) is all 100mbit ports.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Right but my understanding is that this would just run ssh through the VPS, not all of the other apps the synology unit is running. I do use SSH, but I need the rest of the synology unit to also run through a VPS/VPN. That can be accomplished easily via the GUI. The question is once I've done that, can I still connect to the VPN server on the synology by remotely connecting to the VPN server the synology is a client of via its static IP.

If you want your :filez: on the VPN then -D 12345 on the ssh connection and configure your torrent client to use a socks proxy on localhost:12345. Forget the -R junk.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Scythe posted:

I want to set up a simple NAS as a music server and to handle backups from two Apple laptops (and then send those backups along to a cloud service). It does not need to be able to transcode video (or even stream it at all, probably). It seems like a simple 2-bay Synology is the best option--do I really need a DS218+ for that or will a cheaper 218, 218play, or 218j work?

Also, what are the quietest drives I can get for this (without totally sacrificing speed/reliability/longevity)? It would be sitting right next to my stereo and speakers, so ideally it's silent. Are SSDs the right way to go, or are there quiet enough HDDs I should consider?

My WD reds are basically silent. I sit next to them all day long and don't notice it. It's mildly quieter when they turn off but it's nothing I notice through open can headphones.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I bought a new 2TB white label 7200rpm disk from goharddrive to replace a failing WD Black from 2011. The ebay listing said it's SATA III with 64MB of cache. Well, the disk I got is SATA II and has 32MB of cache. I'm sure they'll take care of the issue but it kind of bothers me that the label on the disk also says it's 64MB of cache and SATA 6Gb/s. One of their suppliers is sitting on a bunch of Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 2TB HUA722020ALA331 2TB 32MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Enterprise 3.5" Hard Drive which they also sell but is putting fraudulent white labels on them to make them seem newer. The disk chassis is identical.

GoHardDrive has 100% ebay feedback with almost 90k sales so I'm not worried that they'll get it sorted out but it sure sucks that there's some fraud with the white labeling. Then again, I wouldn't be buying white label disks if I needed this for more than light use in a short time frame.

I once bought a few cases of white label disks.

Once.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

GoHardDrive offered either a partial $20 refund and I keep the disk or they can issue me a return label. Considering the light duty I have in mind for it I may just take the $20. It just really bothers me that there's a label on the disk with fake information.

What else did they lie about?

Any raid array worth its salt will disable the write cache regardless.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For more information lookup OPAL and TPM.

The TPM will be told "generate a key" - this becomes the MEK. The method to authenticate to the TPM will vary by implementation, but generally you tell it "this is my password" and it will run it through a secure one way hashing function like SHA2 or scrypt and store the result. Other methods are for it to gather a hardware inventory and refuse to unlock unless it matches.

In its default mode the TPM isn't authenticated.

With a TPM the MEK should never leave the TPM.

If a standalone KEK is used then it is done using a PBKDF function to convert your password into a key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

While we're on the subject of ECC, can someone tell me which RAM to buy? I'm trying to buy thread favorite X10SDV-TLN4F with the Xeon D-1541 8C/16T. All the SuperMicro recommended memory I can't find for sale, if I go to a memory maker like Crucial they give me a part number CT9036266 that I can't seem to buy anywhere but there. The specs also seem slightly different for CL (15 vs 19).

I just want 2x16GB memory modules that will work well in ECC with this board.

So buy it from crucial? They guarantee it will work if you use their selector gizmo.