Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
Am i right in my assumption that hardware Raid 5 on a Debian box is going to be "better" then Software? And by better would it just be faster? more robust? Some other way? And how much better would it be? Enough to justify the price of a Hardware raid card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
Yea, i've decided to go with Software raid, i have since discovered that decent hardware raid cards cost a loving arm and a leg.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
Ok, so i have 3 750GB harddrives in my computer. I wanted to use mdadm to make a software raid5 with these. So i issused this command...

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

When i do

mdadm --detail /dev/md0

The state says: clean, degraded, recovering

And it says

Active Devices: 2
Working Devices: 3
Failed Devices: 0
Spare Devices: 1

Then it lists the 3 harddrives, 0 and 1 stat says active sync, but number 3 says spare rebuilding for state. Did i screw something up, i thought the "spare" option was for a hotspare, but in a raid5 with 3 disks there shouldn't be a hot spare should there be?

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's normal - it's effectively treating it as a 3-disc array that you've added the third disc to be rebuilt with. Once it finishes it will move to 3 active and clean.

Ok thanks, that's what i was hoping it was doing, but being unsure i figured id ask so that i don't let this thing run for hours (god drat it takes forever) and then find out it was wrong.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Does anyone have any experience/comments/advice as far as deploying FreeNAS in a larger-scale environment? We're looking to build a file-server that has basic user/group permissions, afp/smb/ftp/rsync support. I've installed FreeNAS on a test box and it seems to run really well. Setting up the initial users and permissions might be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but overall, it seems to do everything that we require and it's free.

We also need a server, but I can't just build it myself. In fact, we're basically limited to Dell. I bought a server last year running RHEL5 with a perc5/i controller for hardware RAID, but my biggest concern is that there will be some problem with a Dell hardware RAID controller and FreeNAS. I don't want to drop a few grand on a server only to find out that we can't use it as intended. I tried Googling, but didn't find anything that seemed relevant. I guess I could always just run RHEL or something, but FreeNAS really does everything that I need and I'm really digging the simplicity of it.

I've never really used FreeNAS, but what's wrong with just using A Linux Distro and installing samba?

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null

roflsaurus posted:

With a linux software raid array, how would I go about re-installing the base os? if i had a separate IDE OS drive, and a 3 750gb SATA drives in RAID-5, could I just reformat the IDE drive, re-install linux and it would pick up the raid like it was already there, or do I have to issue some commands to mount it?

I was probably thinking of ubuntu server as the base os, but may want to re-install a different distro at a later date.

I have this exact setup, debian installed on a 250GB IDE and a software raid5 done with mdadm of 3 x 750 GB SATA drives.

I also just yesterday resintalled Debian. All i did was format and reinstall back onto the OS drive, leaving the 3 750gb drives alone, then once i was back in the os, apt-get install mdadm, and it detected and rebuilt /dev/md0 on its own, then it was just a matter of adding a line to fstab.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
I'm toying with finally switching my home File Server over to use ZFS. My main question is what the gently caress version of solaris do i want? Solaris 10? OpenSolaris? Solaris Express?

Nexenta? (which looks really neat since i come from a Debian server)

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
OpenSolaris Requires a Keyboard attached? At all times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
I think the official recommendation for ZFS is multiple raidz(2)'s in a pool instead of one big raidz(2) anyways. I might be wrong on that but i am pretty sure that is what sun recommends, and how they have the thumper configured.