Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got my stimulus check, and I'm thinking about upgrading my Synology drives from 2TBs to 8TBs (4 in total). I was just going to get some WD Red Plus drives, and maybe watch Amazon via CamelCamelCamel for any deals. Is there anything I could be doing to get a better deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

phosdex posted:

These 2 sites were posted earlier:
https://diskprices.com/
https://shucks.top/

So should I just go the route of buying 4 WD Easystores and pulling the drives out? Or would that be a bad idea for a NAS?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425302.p?skuId=6425302

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sweet. I just bought four, and looks like I'll have a weekend project for myself. (Not to mention backing up all my blurays onto them.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My work is giving me our old Drobo B800i since we're not going to be using anything Drobo in the future. My coworker mentioned somehow replacing the (lovely) Drobo software with FreeNAS. Is that even possible? I hate the Drobo Dashboard software I was forced to install whenever I had to interact with these things, and would gladly replace it, if feasible. Plus, I'd rather do that sooner rather than later, given that they dropped supporting these things, and before I get all my data on it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was our lab equipment storage until we moved about 4 months ago. It's just been sitting on a rack. Don't worry, we have another one in our production data center, and another one for disk images at the main office! :haw: (We're slowly building out a new data center so we can upgrade the previous, and that Drobo will likely be scrapped at that point.)

Yeah, I'm keeping it for free. It's probably going to be my bluray rip storage area, so nothing I'm accessing on the regular. My existing Synology is getting full, and my budget to upgrade that is zero dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I got the email from Synology to light a fire under my rear end, my Synology Diskstation is on an old OS, and can't be upgraded because it doesn't meet the memory requirements, and new memory can't be added.

I was thinking of getting a 6 bay (upgrade from my 4 bay) Synology, but the prices are driving me off a bit. I don't really need any bells and whistles for my NAS, I have an old HTPC that's now a Ubuntu server running Docker for the various processes I do care about. So instead I'm wondering if TrueNAS in a 8 bay 2U enclosure would be a better bang for my buck. I'm hoping I can build up something that can do the duty of the Synology and this lovely Drobo my work gave me. I probably have 40TB of available space, using 32TB of it, but I haven't backed up my bluray TV shows disks, or any of my UHDs. So I'm thinking 8x10TB drives to just about double my space.

Is the FreeNAS setup in this kind of case a safe replacement for Synology? I already janitor computers for living at work, and I'm hoping to minimize it at home. But I have no experience with FreeNAS or this setup, and don't know how reliable/mature it is. (I was hoping to not have a server rack in my basement, but I think that's just going to be in my future.)