Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've got a dell Precision 690 with 4 10K rpm 300GB drives and a perc5i controller.
While spectacularly useful as a server, it's not terribly well set up to store the 5TB of poo poo that I'm hoarding.
I want to turn it into a NAS with 4x 5TB drives in raid 1.

Can anyone recommend me an affordable Raid controller card that can handle 5TB drives? Preferably one that will continue to work for years and isn't a pain in the dick to deal with.
PCI express please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skandranon posted:

Wait, what? 4x5tb in RAID1? That sounds a little excessive. Do you really need that kind of uptime?

I want it to be reliable storage in case I drag my feet on replacing a disk...
Also having 4x the read speed on 7200RPM disks is gonna be nice when I stream movies, or have to pull down pictures from my archives. I don't plan on working directly off the NAS so no real need for improved write performance.

I don't see the problem here. :shrug:

If disk prices drop (or y'all can find me a stupid cheap controller) and I can pick up a spare or two to have on hand, then I'll probably raid 10.
I don't see Raid 5 on disks that large as a reasonable option.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

Can't say I'm surprised about the news that FreeNAS is now becoming TrueNAS CORE.

This cuts me right down to my "core."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rexxed posted:

or you used a modular power cable from the old PSU on the new one when they're not compatible?

I watched a friend light a WD RED on fire this way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm partial to using those tabs you use to close bags of bread to put tension on the clips and space it out, then a screwdriver to pop is open. It's better than using credit cards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I've got a rack of HP 633982-002 which are Seagate 1tb 7200rpm drives like this; https://www.ebay.com/c/109447706
How bad of an idea is it to cram a bunch of these into a freenas or unraid installation?
I mean they're not NAS drives but I'm not looking for the highest levels of performance and I won't be writing to them constantly, just for network file availability so I can dump all my music somewhere that's easily accessible until I have a proper NAS built. Longevity isn't a concern either as I have a boatload of them, so replacing them won't be a problem.

Are they going to be painfully slow or cause problems? I don't plan on using them with a hardware raid controller so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you aren't limited on drive bays / physical space, and you can hit the drive redundancy / capacity you need, go for it. They'll be somewhat slower than higher capacity drives but not enough to notice for your purposes.

Eh I mean I only NEED 2TB but I'm aiming for 4. I have 8 sata ports on some old AMD board I don't even remember the model of.
I have 24 good drives with low hours on them. I'm okay with just getting a few archival file transfers. I'm not even trying to stream from it.
I just don't want to wait a week to transfer 2TB. At that point I'll loving throw some hardware on a credit card and pay it off in a month or two, rather than babysit some bullshit.

I've also got a dozen 250GB SATA SSD's that I planned on using for server drives but that's not going to happen any time soon so maybe I should just try and sell it all and buy a consumer product to float me.

This is not a bad deal but $20 off isn't good enough for me to pull the trigger on it, especially if I'd have to buy disks. That money would be better spent on a couple of 4TB NAS drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 23, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Duck and Cover posted:

I was curious to the answer of "does somebody make a rack enclosure to lessen noise?". Yes the answer is yes. https://www.xrackpro2.com/ https://www.rackmountsolutions.net/server-racks-cabinet/specialty-server-racks/soundproof-racks/

Those XRackPro don't do anything to reduce noise. The good ones have baffles and better forced air and actual soundproofing material, not that lame packing foam type poo poo.

Hell even the expensive ones that have actual baffles and air tight seals only reduce noise by up to 30ish db.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah, 30dba is significant but not enough to be "quiet" merely "not so loud as to hurt your ears." It's also white noise, so everything you want to listen to you will have to turn WAY up to understand over it. Dell says a datacenter is "75dba" so if it cuts it to 45dba it's as loud as my dishwasher - which is pretty quiet but not inaudible. If you can use all large high quality fans it might get it down to tolerable but still not something I would want to deal with, and lol adding thousands to buy a rack.

There is no loving way those things actually cut server noise down by a third. MAYBE AV equipment with already fuckoff huge fans that produce 50db at lower Hz, but not a switch with 11,000rpm fans screaming at 85+db/1m.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just found a cheap old Lenovo server with a sas card and 8 3.5" bays that I want to turn into a NAS.
I have a couple quick questions though:
Where is the best place to find cheap (either new or used) SAS drives. I'm thinking 3/4 TB is probably the sweet spot for overall cost and cost per dollar, yeah? I likely won't need the performance of the SAS drives since the raid card is only SAS 2 anyway so it's not going to be significantly faster than any SATA drive I would get. But I'm thinking I will likely find that the SAS drives will be more gently used and more resilient than a used SATA drive.

Less of a question and more of a headcheck, I'll have to disable hardware raid and use the controller for JBOD in order to run ZFS via FreeNAS or FreeBSD correct?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This all sorta hinges on not having to spend a bunch of money on a new controller so I'm gonna pick up the server in the morning and see what I'm working with first. There was a craigslist for $20 3TB constellation SAS drives (it's gone now), that's why I was asking. I was gonna pick up all 9 of them and cram as many in there as I could.
Looks like I'm not having much luck replicating that pricing online so the point might be moot anyway.

I still like the idea of using sas drives for their longevity, reliability and of course performance since I'm not willing to buy a dozen 1TB SSD's.
I won't need this NAS for streaming so much, but I do require good random read/write for file transfers.
Obviously I'm not building a SAN so I'm not trying to run VMs off it (lol gently caress making GBS threads up my poor 1GB network with that traffic) or anything but I will be using it for sftp, project repositories, and data logging.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just picked up an old rear end Lenovo T440 for $60.
It's got a crappy old LSI MR SAS 9240 raid controller. I can't seem to find any specs other than "Supports volumes larger than 2 TB" which is LOL considering that's half the size of a single drive I want to use.
Any idea where I can find more specific specs on it? I tried the manufacturer, it wasn't helpful.

Should I just trash it and get something else?

Also, in searching for 3-4TB SAS drives I realized that everything is Nearline SAS. I'm not likely to find any 10k 3+TB drives (not that I want to) am I? I mean it makes sense you would just use aggregates and keep online data in flash storage or smaller Tier-1 disks and less-accessed stuff in bigger/slower/more reliablecheaper drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 9, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah, it's a Thinkserver TS440! I though it was some kind of weird Thinkpad T440 with a RAID controller :v:

Those are dang solid machines, $60 is a steal.

Agreed that's why I scooped it, no questions asked.

sharkytm posted:

That's a screaming deal. The 9240 is widely used, and not crappy or old. Crossflash it to a 9211 in IT mode, just like any LSI card: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Then whatever NAS software you want to use can talk to it and run the raid.
Of it's too old and crappy for you, send me the whole server... I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even pay shipping!

I'll keep you in mind.
Thanks for the link!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're a steal because expansion is impossible. The HDD expansion bay kits are no longer made and impossible to find and are not compatible with other HDD expansion kits they have made for their other similar ThinkServers.

Speaking as currenlty unused owner that has it sitting in a closet.

You wanna sell me your expansion bay?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't have one. Hence my post.

HAHA wait you don't have a drive bay AT ALL or you don't have a second expansion bay? I thought they all came configured with at least one 4x 3.5" drive bay.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The 2nd expansion bay. The kit comes with the bay and a board that interfaces with the power supply to give it power which isn't standard and sucks.

Also those drat motherboard plugs for the Power/USB headers on the front won't fit on like anything else so I can't easily swap the motherboard if I wanted to upgrade to something with more ram slots or more procs. Same for the Power supply. Not ATX, and nothing more powerful in that form factor is readily available.

But hey, it was $60. I'm kinda laughing at the idea of spending 3-4x that much on just a 4 drive expansion bay. At that point I think I'd probably rather get a DAS that I can plug into my desktop or whatever eventually replaces this TS440.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

I have a ts440 with both 3.5" bays. I can measure if you're interested.

I also have 2 ts430s, both with 8x 3.5 bays.

Well look at Mr. Fancypants over here with 8 drives and poo poo.

Aren't the 430's and 440's the same part for the hotswap bays?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DrDork posted:

Well, yeah. In most ways fiber is strictly superior to copper for >1Gb, and these days the price comparison is just hilariously in favor of fiber if you are willing to buy used equipment. But copper does have some nice properties, like being more likely to already exist in your walls. Whether that copper can do much above 1Gb is another question, but pulling fiber through a house is a pain in the rear end.

e; The other part is no one is likely to build SFP+'s into consumer motherboards basically ever--hell, even high end server boards generally don't bother and simply assume you'll bring your own. Intel already has 2.5Gb RJ45 NICs on some motherboards, and presumably that'll grow and move up the chain in a few years.

I'm struggling to think of a time I lived somewhere that might possibly have had the requirement to have my infrastructure servers apart from my switches, let alone one another.
Are you running fiber to a desktop or something or do you guys really have your Storage/compute/network bits spread all over the house?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DrDork posted:

Fiber to the desktop(s) for me. Works fine in my current place, because it's a 1bdr apartment, so I can just run fiber everywhere and it's not a big issue.

But my last place was a three level townhouse, and I had my servers in a closet in the basement and my desktops up on the third floor--pulling fiber was simply not happening, but the entire place was pre-wired with Cat5e, so >1Gb copper would have been nice.

I had to install all the ethernet drops in my townhouse and that loving sucked because of shared walls with neighbors.
I did not make the mistake in my current house and ran a conduit from the basement to the attic so I could install drops on the top floor without an issue, and on the ground floor up from the unfinished basement.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DrDork posted:

Smart man. Having had to run a single cable into a bedroom at yet another house ("had to" being...uh...more like "really wanted to and I needed a project") that involved popping floor moulding off, cutting a channel into it, going all the way around two sets of doors, etc., holy gently caress would I prefer that any new-build I was ever involved in just put conduit everywhere. So much better for future capacity.

I thought about doing conduit for all the things but I didn't know where any of the drops were going before we moved in and settled.
Turns out not to be a big deal anyway because running drops up from the basement was super easy. So I won't even bother for any future runs, EXCEPT when I finish my basement. I'll have conduit everywhere for that because I'm hosed otherwise if I want to relocate my network stack.

e; heh woops we're not in the home networking megathread :D

So I'm shopping for drives and another drive bay for this TS440 I got. I'm definitely thinking 4x3TB nearline SAS drives for space but I'm also running across some smaller form factor 1TB actual 10k SAS drives that has my interest piqued.

Is there any way in FreeNAS to specify fast/slow storage pools like NetApp does with their aggregates? For example in NetApp I have a Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze aggregate that has come about through years of upgrades and not decommissioning old storage. Netapp does a really good job of marking which data belongs where based on usage. I'm assuming there's nothing like this in FreeNAS/FreeBSD but please let me know if I'm wrong. It would be hella cool to dump 8x1TB into this server and get increased performance or even better; fill the SATA slots with some of these SSD's I've amassed.

Also, performance wise what's the advantage of using multiple ZFS pools over one big one? I don't have a current need to segregate data or encrypt some data but not other data.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 12, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

Allocation classes are sort-of what you're asking for in that they can let you put not just metadata but also small files onto fast drives (so you keep all the 1-10MB recordsize blocks written sequentially), but I believe what you're talking about is a feature unique to NetApps OneFS, and per-vdev QoS-like options for ZFS don't exist yet - I seem to remember that there's a company is working on it, but who knows when it'll reach maturity and how long it'll take before it's upstreamed to OpenZFS from that point on.

I don't know when FreeNAS will get allocation classes, but allocation classes are in FreeBSD 12-STABLE so will probably be in 12.2-RELEASE, which will be branched from 12-STABLE at some point in the not too far away future.

Cool. Thanks. Just needed confirmation before I went down a documentation rabbit hole.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Bout to pull the trigger on a pair of new Hitachi HE8 8TB helium filled SAS drives.
I don't know much about them. Looking for reassurance. Can anyone oblige or is my $120/per drive better spent elsewhere?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

At that price I would expect "new" "refurbs", not actual new. I have a few of the former, they've been good so far.

You know I thought the same thing but the same ebay seller has actual refurbs with 60 day warranty for $10 less so...
I'm gonna check it out in CrystalDisk and if there's like 1000 hours on it or something I'll be returning it since the listing clearly states "new".

I was just wondering if those HGST helium drives had any weird problems or firmware issues to be aware of.
It seems like a reasonably good deal and while two 8tb disks won't be as fast or flexible as an array of four 3tb disks, it's more storage and cheaper for drives that look like they've been handled at least a little better than the average eBay drive.

Thanks for the input.

e: I just looked again and it states the condition as new but then says 'like new' under the description :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What's the most secure method of making a NAS accessible via the internet in TYOOL 2020? I"m sure the answers will differ based on the product, but I'm more generally curious.
For example I've used SSH on FreeNAS and port forwarded my router to the NAS so I can browse wiles with WinSCP or just map them as SMB shares.
What's more preferable to that? OpenVPN? I don't really see that as an advantage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

rufius posted:

OpenVPN would be fine for securing though perf is poor if you have a good internet connection. I have Gigabit so that’s my point of reference.

I have a WireGuard VPN setup that all my devices have profiles for. I use that to do phone backup of photos and videos as well as accessing things off the NAS.

I generally don’t expose SSH directly to the internet but that’s a personal preference. Mostly, WireGuard has better perf if you’re doing significant file transfer.

I'm not and really I'm just looking for something convenient so I can get to files from any computer. OpenVPN would still require me to download the client and all my traffic would be tunneled which is not only slightly inconvenient, but might also raise some eyebrows at work.
But the reason I ask is because I would also rather not expose SSH to the internet. Synology seems to have a decent solution for this but I'm unsure of the tech behind it. Like how is it accomplished?

If I were going to replicate with FreeNAS should I use HTTPS via SSL and something like Let's Encrypt for a CA?

e:

THF13 posted:

You could run an instance of Nextcloud with a reverse proxy out in front for access to files.

For getting to the NAS itself via smb/ssh or its management page I would still use a VPN rather than exposing either to the internet.

noted. Thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

rufius posted:

What kind of files are you wanting to access. Generically, NextCloud is good for a lot of things. If it’s media, Plex does a good job in my experience. I expose my Plex instance though it’s locked to limited users.
Not so much media. Possibly camera recordings but hopefully not. Maybe some pictures, but mostly just projects/repos, install files, and documents that I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to put into the cloud and sort out from there.
I can't really find a use case for plex at work. I'm too loving busy to be watching movies and I'm on skype all day so I can't exactly stream music either.

corgski posted:

Is port knocking not a thing people do anymore? Or if you’ll be connecting remotely from a known IP you could set the firewall up to drop any connection attempt from other IPs.
It most certainly is.
I'd just whitelist my remote connection's IP. If it changes I just add a new rule via my unifi cloudkey.

Hadlock posted:

Wireguard is going to be the standard going forward; it's baked into the linux kernel which is as close to a chosen winner as you're gonna get. If I were gonna design a personal VPN these days that would be my baseline.

OpenVPN probably has more google-able troubleshooting stuff right now to get you up and running, but if this is a long term thing, definitely look at wireguard.
Good to know. I'll look into it.

Munkeymon posted:

Doesn't have to https://openvpn.net/for/split-tunneling-with-access-server/

If you just want to get to your totally legal backup copies of your music, Plex is very good, btw
Plex is great, although I've never exposed mine to the internet. I'm aware of split tunneling though I've never implemented it.
It would work if I were at like Starbucks or something, but the whole VPN from inside my office network, and installing the client software, is apparently a no-no. So the whole VPN route might just be dead in the water anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just picked up 4 HGST HE10 8TB drives on eBay.
Wish me luck. The auction says they're "Brand New" but I know better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
How big are y'alls FreeNAS installations? Theoretically how big could it get? Anyone running VMs in FreeNAS?
I'm debating between a 120GB, 180GB, and 240GB SSD for my new NAS and just wondering if I'll ever need the extra space or if I'll just be wasting it.

For reference I'm considering 3 very lightly used SSD's: Intel 530, Intel 1500 Pro, and Samsung 850 EVO

e: nvm I'm gonna use the Pro 1500 I'll migrate later if I need to.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

ZFS maxes out at 2^48 files per directory, 2^64 datasets (filesystems/volumes), 2^64 bytes per file, and 2^128 bytes per zpool which can have 2^64 devices in a whatever vdev configuration you want.
What I'm saying is, I think anyone will be good.

I use bhyve for virtualization (what FreeNAS also uses, underneath everything), so if you have specific questions, perhaps I can answer them.

I use plain FreeBSD, of course, but at the moment my pool is only some 8TiB because I'm in the process of replacing 15 drives with 8TB drives, before I start filling up the next SAS enclosure. With one SAS enclosure, I'll have about 75iB and with two I'll have about 150TiB.

HAHA good LORD that is a lot of space. Is this a personal NAS? My coworker thought I was batshit nuts for ordering 4 8TB drives and complaining that I'll probably need to double that soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

disaster pastor posted:

I'm past the point of frustration with my Unraid server backup, and I don't even know if there's a better way to be doing this.

I'm doing the "Duplicati backing up to a business Google Drive account" setup. I have been for two months in fact, and it's just about halfway done with the initial upload. Part of this is our internet is slow, which sucks, but can't really be fixed. But the other part is that it errors out constantly. I have to check every day to see if it stopped due to a name resolution error or a 403 error or its favorite, duplicate files at the destination, which I have to fix myself: go into Drive, search for the file name, and move one of the two copies out of the backup folder (or sometimes there are more than two copies somehow!).

Is this pretty much what everybody else uses for cloud backup, and is the answer "yup, that's how it works, just gotta deal with it?"

I mean I've used like a half dozen cloud backup tools all with the same result.
It took WEEKS for me to get a clean Barracuda backup of our SAN because file permissions were all hosed, and I couldn't just take ownership and blow everything away because users would have a poo poo fit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Woot has a QNAP TS-332X-2G for $300
20 hours left as of this post.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/qnap-ts-332x-nas

What a weird loving thing. 3 bay for raid 5 with 10GbE.
But hey if you're into that sort of thing I ain't judging.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HAHAHA HOLY poo poo THEY'RE BRAND NEW DRIVES!*
or at least re-sealed used drives (which I doubt.) I'll find out soon though.

Seller has since updated the listing and tacked on another $25/drive. Shoulda bought 8 :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, they could actually be "refurbished" drives in the sense that someone looked them over and resealed them.

What do the drive hours say in SMART (bearing in mind that if they show 0, that isn't necessarily definitive, since supposedly there are ways to reset SMART)?

That's what I meant by "I'll find out soon though"
I'll post when I have a chance to install and check them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I almost bought another backplane and 4 more drives until I realized that there's only 2 power hookups on the motherboard of this TS440 and I would have to use both of them to run 8 drives.

There is a free 6 pin coming directly from the PSU though but it's only black and yellow wires so that's probably not going to be a good thing to hack an adapter onto in order to plug in my SSD with FreeNAS on it...
Anyone got any clever solutions for this one or am I just stuck with 4 sas drives + OS SSD? I mean I guess I could throw FreeNAS on a thumbdrive or use a dumb USB enclosure but I'd rather avoid that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

The ts440 required a power conversion board and cables to run the second backplane. They weren't common, and were quite expensive. You could certainly build an adapter/splitter that would connect to the drives, but the backplane needs the power converter to (I think) generate a 5V rail, probably used for some logic and the LEDs.
This is very crucial knowledge. Thank you.
I think I found one on ebay but I haven't confirmed the part number to make sure it's the right one $23, not bad...
Considering that though, I'm probably not going to spend the money on another backplane (which will cost twice what I paid for the server itself.) The 4x8TB drives I've got now should suffice for the foreseeable future and I shouldn't need more space, I just figured if I could cram more drives in there then why not?

CommieGIR posted:

If you can spare a Sata port consider a satadom aka sata disk on module. You can get a little 64GB for like $25 on ebay
This is actually really funny that you bring it up because Google Ad services just recommended this to me earlier :tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1936771659
That's the part, but you'll need the cable too.

I took some pictures of the inside of my 440 just now, I'll get them on imgur soon

That's exactly the same one I found. Thanks for confirming.

e: if you do upload some pics. let me see where that board actually mounts to. That would be super helpful.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I had a sneaking suspicion that's what those nubs were for.
Thanks!

I guess after all the effort you went through I really SHOULD just go ahead and buy 4 more drives, a backplane and the power cable...
I don't suppose you have a part number for the cable do you?

E:

sharkytm posted:

That's a screaming deal. The 9240 is widely used, and not crappy or old. Crossflash it to a 9211 in IT mode, just like any LSI card: https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Then whatever NAS software you want to use can talk to it and run the raid.
Of it's too old and crappy for you, send me the whole server... I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even pay shipping!

WELL THAT WAS loving EASY. Thanks for the advice!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1936771659
That's the part, but you'll need the cable too.

I took some pictures of the inside of my 440 just now, I'll get them on imgur soon

I just bought a backplane+cage, Mini-sas to Mini-sas cable, that power distribution module, and 4 more 8TB SAS drives. That's almost $1200 into this $60 server lol whoops. I'm still pretty sure I couldn't get 8 bays + drives (let alone SAS drives) for anywhere near that anywhere else though.

Now I just need to find that drat 8p to 8p power cable, or build my own. I don't think I have the requisite 8p connector that should go to the backplane though and I'm not sure what to search on digikey or whatever.
I might have to take a stroll over to the Learning Electronics thread and see if anyone there knows what's up.

update:

I found the connector that goes to the back of the backplane!
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0430250808/WM13210-ND/3310166

Also found it on a cisco power brick:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 29, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Is anyone recording camera footage straight to their NAS?
I just ordered a bunch of Wyze Cam Outdoors and I'm trying to gauge how that's going to perform and if there's any preparations I need to make (like more ram, better network card, etc...)

Mostly interested in traffic / ram usage if you've got those stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hughlander posted:

Friend just started doing this yesterday. 15 hours at 720P was 10GB has a 8TB WD inside a https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/udm-pro

Not to get all network thread on y'all but that thing is adorable.

I'm assuming a bandwidth of about 10mbps (hopefully this is overkill) for each of 4 cameras. I've only got the built in NIC and 16 GB RAM so I'm trying to figure out if that's enough.
Disk space, and processor should be plenty sufficient.