Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my 3-disk unRAID up and running. Gotta say, I'm loving it and thinking of upgrading to the 16-disk Pro version. They have a 2-pack reg key deal for $149 ($75 each) which saves money off a single key which is $119. Anyone interested in going in on a 2-pack to save some cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

How does unRAID compare to Windows Home Server?

I have MSDN so price isn't an issue and I don't need all of the features.

Really, all I want in a NAS is this:

1) Must be FAST (and support jumbo frames?). This is my #1 important requirement. (eg. it should hopefully transfer at near actual disc access speeds if possible)
2) Mixed hard-drive sizes (1.5 TB, 500 GB, 1 TB, etc)
3) All drives shared as one large drive (basically JBOD, but somehow safer?)
4) File duplication, preferably customizable to certain folders.

*) Would also be nice to run other servers/daemons since my file server is decently beefy (3.0 GHz dual-core, 8 GB ECC RAM, etc). It seems like a waste to only use WHS espicially because it can only support 4 GB)

Are there really any alternatives to WHS for this?

unRAID is the first time I've dabbled into the whole NAS thing, so I can't compare it to WHS. I had a buddy show it to me a couple weeks ago and it seemed like a great idea so I grabbed their 3-disk free version to try it out.

Responding to your list:
1. My unRAID is running on an old machine with these specs: AMD Athlon 2800+, 1.5GB RAM, 200GB IDE (parity disk), 180GB SATA, 80GB IDE. Just wanted to test it out with the few older drives that I have before I grab a couple 1.5TBs. I've only done a few mass-transfers, like dumping all my music/my docs over to it and Win7 was reporting a constant 7-9MB/s write speed to my 180GB SATA drive, which is on a PCI card since the board only does IDE. Not too shabby, although I have no idea how that compares to any other NAS solution. I was watching the network tab in Task Manager and it would burst to 100% utilization of my 100Mbps, so I may need to finally upgrade to gigabit.

2. Yep, unRAID does this. It was actually the main point that got me interested since I have a stack of old drives. Your largest drive is your parity drive, and you can add whatever size disks you want. You can also replace any drive with another (like if you wanted to replace an 80GB with a 1.5TB), and it'll automatically rebuild your data from the disk you removed.

3. You can do this by setting up user shares. It'll automatically allocate data to different physical disks, but appear in the network share as one large drive.

4. Not exactly sure what you mean by this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I ended up buying the plus version on my own since I didnt need 16 (its actually 20 now but its not advertised since its only enabled in the latest beta) and I really like UNRAID. Its not too quick on write since it has a goofy copying scheme and doesnt stripe (about 15-20MBps) but the reads are as fast as the network. I dont mind the write slowdown since it makes up for it in the redundancy and ease of use for a linux retarded person such as myself.

Yeah I'm still trying to decide between Plus and Pro, but I'm leaning toward Pro since Plus is 6 disks. I already have 5 disks and am looking to pick up a pair of 1.5TB. I wish the Plus went up to 8 disks, but it's neat that you can upgrade your Plus key to Pro though, even if it ends up being $10 more.

Still looking for a taker if anyone wants to split a 2-pack of keys.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking to pick up a pair of 32MB cache 1TB drives (also considering 1.5TB if cheap enough) to slap into my unRAID and have a couple questions.

My machine is:
AMD Athlon 2800+
Gigabyte 7N400-L.. something or rather.
1.5gb RAM
No PCIe slots, only PCI.
No SATA ports on the board, only IDE and whatever SATA cards on the PCI bus.

- Is there a general preference between Seagate and WD? Just from a quick glance, it looks like WD has a 5-year warranty compared to Seagate's 3. Prices seem pretty similar. OP seems down the middle.
- Will the WD Black drives make much of a speed difference over the Greens? It's only a $10 difference on Newegg, so if I go WD, I'll probably just go with Black unless Greens give me significantly more power savings.
- Is there a suggested PCI SATA card? 4-port would be best.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got a Supermicro X7SPA-HF-O (6 on-board SATA) with an Atom D510 out for delivery right now. Can't wait to drop this baby into my Unraid system and replace my old AMD 2800+ with only PCI and enjoy my lower electric bill.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking for some recommendations for a file store solution at work I'm trying to set up. I don't know all the ins and outs of the NAS world, but I do run an Unraid setup at home. Unfortunately since it runs on a Unix variant, it would create more trouble than it's worth here at work to stay IT-compliant with security patches and whatnot.

What I'm trying to do:
- Store 100's of thousands of small files. A couple megs each, most of the time smaller.
- I do not anticipate needing more than 10TB of storage.
- Need redundancy in case of a drive failure.
- Write/Read speed is very important.
- Would like the ability to be able to add drives of multiple sizes if/when more space is needed.

After reading the FAQ, given my pretty much Windows constraint, it seems my best may be Windows Home Server. Especially since it has the ability to have drives of multiple sizes with the Drive Extender function. I could throw in a few drives of not-matching capacity and access it as one huge drive without the need for a RAID controller.

Does this suffer any loss of speed since it doesn't really have a hardware RAID controller? How does it do parity/redundancy? Does it need an extra disk at all? The technical brief that I read through on microsoft.com doesn't really say other than it runs CHKDSK once a day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

What's you're budget? It sounds like you're really close to the point where you should buy a small/medium business product, though I don't have any to recomend at the moment.

At the very least, Home Server with drive extender is a dead end, WHS2 removed the feature, and who wants to run a 2003 based product in this day in age?

All that being said, pretty much any solution other than building a Windows Server box is going to run Unix in some variant, so if you're policies flat out prevent that, you should look into... changing that.

poo poo. Yeah I didn't really figure they'd remove a feature that seems pretty drat useful.

The policies don't flat out disallow it, but running anything other than Windows would require me to put it on a different network that's meant for not being IT-compliant. The consequences being that I couldn't directly map a drive due to the retarded rules that a certain someone with too much power set up recently. That pretty much makes it a deal-breaker if I can't map a drive.

It's seriously retarded. I'd literally have to VNC into the server, copy my files to a third server that's IT-compliant, then finally move the files to my desk PC. Somehow they thought that this would be an... improvement. I work at a gigantic tech company too, which makes it even more absurd.

I may end up just having to stuff extra drives into my bench PC.

:sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 6, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So windows is being held as the security standard?

Sadly, yes.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Also, if you're able to use VLANs, it would be possible to hook the mail sever up to the disk store directly on it's own VLAN, so it's not possible for anything BUT the mail server to talk to it?

It's just a regular file server, not a mail server.

Anyway, I'll probably just end up throwing a bunch of disks in a RAID array into my desktop PC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, I just set up a raid5 (first time I've tried this) on my new desktop PC at work with 4x 2TB WD Blacks in addition to an SSD OS Boot drive. I'm using the on-board Intel RAID controller on the Intel DH67GD with Sandy Bridge.

I configured a raid volume through the RAID controller BIOS. This volume is showing up in the Intel Rapid Storage Tech application in Windows (7 Enterprise, 64-bit). I clicked initialize and it seems to be crawling. I am assuming it is currently building data parity, so the slowness is expected.

At this point, should the drives be showing up in My Computer, or do I have to wait until the initialization/parity is complete? I am not seeing anything except my OS disk.

When I go to Disk Management, I see my raid volume (5.6GB), but it's showing up as:

I'm kind of confused as to why it seems there's 2 unallocated partitions in Disk1, both of seemingly random size.

Is something dicked up, or should I just have some patience and wait the couple days for initialization to finish?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BnT posted:

You need a GPT partition table. The default MBR partition table on Windows 7 is limited to 2TB of addressable space. If that doesn't work for you, you'll need to look up 'diskpart' probably. Also, it's probably going to take at least a day to finish initializing, but you should be able use it, it'll just be slow in the mean time.

Ahh, perfect! Once I converted to GPT then quick-formatted the partition to NTFS, it let me assign a drive letter. Currently copying a few hundred thousand files at 7MB/s while still initializing. Looks like I was just missing the GPT part.

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a mini-ITX case that has 6+ internal 3.5s? Looks like there's only 3 hits on newegg.

I'm running UnRaid on an older Supermicro Atom mini-ITX board and currently just have my extra drives laid out on the floor since my current case only has 4 drive slots. I'm moving and am looking on mounting everything proper.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, they all look great.

Moey posted:

I was using one of these for a while, fits your bill for 6 internals.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265

Would be happy to sell it, as it is just sitting in the guest room un-touched.

I was looking at this one, as it uses an ATX PSU, which is what I'm currently using. How much do you want for it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What are you using the small SSD for? A cache disk?

Just curious. I run unraid and I haven’t bothered with one, mostly due to only having 6 SATA ports on my board.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Unraid arrays are pretty slow. The cache drive speeds up things considerably if you do newsgroup unpacking. It's also great for running your VM/Dockers off of.

Ahh makes sense.

I run Sab/sonarr/radarr off my desktop PC and unpack to an SSD there, then have it move to my unraid. Seems to work great.

I only do that because my unraid is like a 10-12yo Atom board. Works great for reading and writing, but I haven’t bothered messing with dockers and stuff due to the lack of processing power.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do y’all unraid folks run the pre-clear script when replacing your parity drive? I don’t like going without a parity drive for a few days, but I suppose it’s probably the way to do it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nerox posted:

When you add a drive to an unraid array, it writes zeroes across the disk so that parity will be maintained. All pre-clear does it write the zeroes prior to it being added to the array.

If you are changing out a parity drive, the parity is going to have to be rebuilt regardless, which means the whole drive is going to be written, so I am not sure if pre-clearing helps or not in that case.

Doesn’t it also do a bunch of read/write cycles to test for smart errors?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All my greens are still kickin like 5 years later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

You have to install SMB1 on windows 10 and the shares will show up when you browse to \\tower.local

Allegedly 6.8 is adding modern SMB.

Is this the loving reason I can see unraid shares on one Win10 desktop but not the other few? I have no idea why the one can see it but not the others and it pisses me off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Mapping shares as a network drive or navigating directly to \\hostname will work without enabling SMBv1 on Windows.

I can't get this to work on my son's Win10 computer for the loving life of me, but it works just fine on mine. Both are updated fully and I don't think it's firewall bullshit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No it just plain doesn't see the share and I can't go to \\$ip_address or \\$unraid_name

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I... believe so, yes. (at work right now, so working off memory)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Was there a guide to shucking earlier in the thread? Is that what all the taping connectors chat was about? 14TB is tempting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

tl;didn't write one

buy easystore or mybook, rip it open (if you live in the US they have to honor warranty even if you take it out of the shell) then connect. Most PSUs aren't server SATA specification. SATA forum decided to make a super neat feature for SATA drives in servers where that if they get the 3.3v pin held high (which is completely unused prior to them deciding to do this), they do a full reboot which would be exactly like unplugging and replugging the cables assuming nothing physically broke. For whatever reason, WD uses the server specced white label Reds, which listen on the 3.3v pins for power being applied. Problem is, all PSUs that aren't up to date on that SATA spec will always be sending 3.3v over those pins, so they are always power cycling.

Taping works well enough, but generally the easier way is to remove 3.3v from the cables somehow. Using a safe (i cannot emphasize this enough) Molex to SATA power adapter will get rid of 3.3v, as Molex doesn't have a 3.3v rail. You can also use extension cables designed for expanding a single SATA power connector into 4, and just rip out the 3.3v wire and also solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

Awesome, thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Uggghhh every time those deals get posted I’m super tempted. I “only” have 9TB capacity available.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EasyStore 12TB for $190:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13814855-12tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-190

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hmm, so I've been running a 6-disk (5 + parity) unraid. I've been replacing drives as I get larger ones, only because I only have 6 SATA ports and only have 6 drive bays. I have no idea why I never thought of buying a USB enclosure and running additional drives. My server is running on an old Supermicro X7SPA-HF, which only has USB 2.0. Would it be worth it to get a USB enclosure for additional drives and expand my Unraid, or should I just gut the server and update the hardware? Besides the drives, everything in it is probably a good decade old. The purpose of the server is simply storage for my Plex server (my desktop PC).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that’s kind of what I figured. Didn’t even occur to me to add a USB card. But, it would be nice to rebuild it all so I can run the plex docker or whatever and not depend on my desktop pc for transcodes and serving media.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: nm

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Moey posted:

There is a real possibility I'll be able to dump Comcast and get rid of my data cap this fall.

Fingers crossed.

I did this and haven’t looked back. My only other alternative in the area gives me 50/50 or 100/100, no dat cap. It was an easy choice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deal of the Day: 14TB WD Red for $400. Yowza.

The shuckable 12TB is tempting though. I know the MyStores are white/red drives, but what's the Elements?

Related question: Best PCI USB 3 adapter and USB 3 external enclosure?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Holding out for 14's at that price, while sweating profusely as my usage ticks up bit by bit

:same:
6.4 TB free...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

spinning up is hard on the HDD and it's generally considered better to leave it spinning all the time if you can spare the power.

So do y'all unraid people not let the drives spin down? Mine are set to spin down after 30 mins of inactivity or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I was going to buy 2 :sigh:

Fuckin :same:

Dammit. Although it's probably a good thing. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sharkytm posted:

And power cycles. Drives are meant to be used.

I always have my unraid set to spin down after 30 mins of activity or whatever to save power. I’ve only had 1-2 drives fail in 10y or so. Posts like this make me consider leaving them spun up at all times even though out usage (movies and stuff) is very cyclical and predictable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any chance we can get the shucking instructions in the OP? Or should I just google "shuck eastystores" whenever I need it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those 14TBs need to go on sale soon....

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Oh poo poo I have two dead 5TB Seagates I was looking to do something with.

Shoot them. It’s fun. Tannerite optional.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

12TB WDs on sale at Best Buy for $199.

I know they've been lower ($180 is the lowest?) but thinking I'll still drop on this later today.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6364259.p?skuId=6364259

Man, I've been waiting forever for the 14TBs to drop in price. I'm getting close to running out of space on my unraid. I may have to grab a pair.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

12TB will last me quite a long while but I'm himming and hawing on the 14TB at $200 coming back sometime in the future. I hate when I try to optimize and miss the forest for the trees.

If I get the 14TB I'll have to do another parity disk swap too and won't be able to use those extra 2TB so probably not worth waiting.

That's why you get 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve been running an unraid for a decade with letting drives spin down after 15 mins and I’ve only had only one drive go bad.