Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

univbee posted:

I had a really annoying Windows Home Server not-booting-and-not-telling-me-why situation, and even booting from the Vista DVD or Home Server DVD never got me anywhere. Turns out one of my hard drives was royally hosed and not responding properly to I/O commands. Just putting this out there in case anyone else runs into the same sort of problem. And sorry Sasquatch for not noticing this thread earlier :doh:

I read your other thread. Since you are looking at alternate solutions, I tend to recommend linux-based software raid to home or small business users. The md driver is stable, functional, full featured, and fast. I currently have a raid 5 array with a hot spare set up, and it's not given me any problems yet (over two years now). Part of the reason I push md over hardware raid controllers is that devices that constitute an md-based array can be removed from the old system if it fails and be reinstalled and initialized apart from any particular raid controller, while also offering many of the features that high end dedicated raid cards offer. This makes it a good match for the home user who may not want to spend the premium on a high quality controller and spare.

If you are interested in pursuing this sort of solution it may be possible to construct a small array out of drives empty of data and then add devices to the array as you extract your data from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU