Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Has anyone here ever heard of or used the Seagate NAS STCU100? I came across it the other day, it has its limitations but looks pretty decent and well within my budget, but it seems to have been largely unreviewed.

e: I'm planning on 4x3tb Toshiba drives in RAID 5, won't be using it for more than storage and probably toss Plex on it.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

internet inc posted:

Also my dad wants to switch from a external hard drive to this setup but he's hesitant because he's afraid hackerz can easily access this compared to an external hard drive you can easily disconnect when you're not using it. Is there anything he can read or watch that would put his mind at ease? I keep telling him that no one cares about his vacation photos and that's pretty much his best defense but it's not quite enough to satisfy him.

He's not wrong, the SynoLocker malware that got a bunch of people was just a little over a year ago.

Of course, this was because people were using an older version of DSM that had a security hole instead of upgrading to the latest version (that had been patched). So just make sure that he's running the latest version of DSM I guess. Or just unplug it like other have said.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2015