Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I'm about to pick up a D-Link DNS-323 and a WD Caviar 640GB drive to replace my Dell Optiplex home server (at a cost of $250CAD for both before shipping & taxes). From what I've read, the DNS can act as a torrent and print server, and those are the the only things I used on my home server anyway (besides storage space).

I'm just wondering, has anyone used this Western Digital 640GB drive? I've heard great things about it, so I really think that this might be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
I just ordered a D-Link DNS-323 and a 640GB Western Digital drive to go along with it. It should arrive sometime this week, and I'll post how it works as a replacement for my existing storage server with a 160GB and 80GB drive.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
My DNS-323 just came in yesterday, and its now holding all my data on a 640GB drive. I also ordered this IDE and SATA drive enclosure today to use a few spare IDE hard drives I have laying around as backups.

I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, but so far its great. Copying 110GB of files yesterday took quite some time on 100Mbit, but nothing too shabby (I think I left it copying for 5 hours). While copying, the DNS was reporting temperatures of 34-36C, and is now idling at 32C. The fan is silent and the case feels cool to the touch. Its one hell of a lot quieter than the Dell Optiplex that its replacing! I'll be installing a bitorrent client on it (Transmission) tonight, as well as hooking my Brother HL-2040 printer that was previously on the Optiplex server to the DNS.

My only problem is that the DNS reports the drive as being fully formatted at 629GB (which is normal on a 640GB drive), but my Windows XP share says the drive is 585GB. I'm assuming this is a Windows limitation, since the DNS recognizes the true size of the drive.

I'll post how the printer runs on it, and how the torrent client is sometime tomorrow (along with pictures!). So far I'm happy with the $137 CAD I paid for it on NCIX.

Edit: Fixed the typo!

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 31, 2008

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
Whoops, I meant to post 323, not 343. I fixed my original post so all should be good now.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

MachinTrucChose posted:

I'm a first-time user looking for a home NAS solution but other than the NAS200 they're almost as expensive as a new PC.

I need something with 2 internal drive bays as well as two external USB ports so I can hook up external drives for backup. The NAS200 is ~100$ but all the others I found are 300$+. How do they justify this price when the home user can build a new PC for that money?

If there's no cheap alternative, I'm thinking of just buying the first Mini ITX Atom system I see on newegg and a case and RAM. A quick glance shows I could build such a system (minus the RAM) for 110$ CAN.

I'd get the NAS200, but all the reviewers are slamming it for atrocious performance. Something like 4MB/s read/write speeds. I'm curious why it's so slow, where would the bottleneck be?

I have a D-Link 323 and its great. It has two internal drive bays, a USB port for printers (or one external HD I believe). I also use it as a seedbox, and it is Linux-based, and has a large hacking community behind it (google fonz fun plug)