Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
anyone have any recommendations on where to get stuff to make the case as quiet as possible?

I'm making a combo nas/media center type thing, and I'm really wanting to isolate the noise as much as possible so it can sit under the TV and not be annoying when things are happening, and still keep a decent amount of cooling in the machine. I'm thinking a lot of foam and silicone grommets and rubber screws, but I've never needed a quiet PC before and I'm curious what others are using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
are you able to install things on unraid?

specifically sabnzd+ but I suppose other things would be useful at some point as well...

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
are there any drive cages where I can mount 3.5" drives using 2 5.25" bays or do they all need to use 3 5.25 slots?

I'd like to add another 3-4 TB to my drive array, but I don't really want to have to pull the DVD drive.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
I'm looking to roll my own NAS/MediaCenter combo and I'm not really sure about what I'm doing anymore. I have a mediacenter that I've stuffed 8 goddamn drives into and troubleshooting things on it are a pain and I have a lousy case that I hate... so I want to just loving start over.

Is it just a terrible idea to take one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111057

and throw it on a barebones PC that's capable of playing out to a TV and running Sabnzd/Utorrent and just using it as semi-NAS storage?

slightly more specifically, this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101070

Expiration Date fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 5, 2009