Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Or you can be an idiot like me and buy a used 6 bay r710 on eBay for $120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ebay $120 dell R710 installation report, shipping was free.

So server came well packages and arrived within the 3 days promised. It has one processor but two processor heat sinks. The Idrac was express, so pretty useless. The controller card included does JBOD and firmware is available to up install that mode, but it is limited to 2TB SATA drives, but not limited on size for SAS drives which surprisingly are not as badly priced as I feared on fleabay. I guess they are easier to liberate from capital. It contained two power supplies and two cords!.

OMV install. The default install does not include the needed firmware for the broadcom network card on the board and it doesn't prompt you to install it. The workaround is to install debian netinst which will prompt you for the firmware BCM5709. You can then run a nice script some fellow wrote that installs OMV on top of that with a couple lines of typing since you can't paste because idrac express is garbage. Technically you can SSH into the debian install but I didn't think of that because I am dumb. OMV installed and works fine.

Total costs so far

Server $120
6 dell drive trays $15
2 8 TB SAS drives system pulls, (They had 13 hours from ebay, $109 each) $218.
A usb drive I installed on stuck in the internal USB slot, $5.
Some miscellaneous SATA drives I had on a shelf, priceless!

Total $358.

Now to learn how to get docker up and running so I can install a bunch of containers full of app to help install more containers.

I also need another drive for snapraid but not to concerned yet because I haven't migrated any data that isn't also on various laptops, desktops.

Pictured on massive shelf that came with the house, weird gun american flag stickers attached by prior occupant.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

codo27 posted:

My 7yo WD Reds are nearing full, 3tb was lots at the time. I've never been the biggest fan of my Buffalo linkstation. Looking at amazon real quick, the kinda prices you'd be looking at for a 4 bay quality NAS I feel I'd be just as well served picking up a used tower and I could use that as my Plex server as well then and just use my Shield as the client. Whats a good spec I should be looking at in terms of the latter usage that will decode efficiently?

Any 7th gen intel or newer with the on chip graphic will transcode plex without even breaking a sweat. They are the transcoding hotness. I run plex on a dell outlet 10 gen pentium and use a NAS for storage. It can hardware transcode 15 users and was $300, cheaper then any video card.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone want 6 136gb 15k sas drives? 3.5 inch. I’ll ship them cheapest snail mail rate. They are old but functional setup a 6 drive mirror lol.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Gonna flip some hard drives to the insane, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ordered 2 counterfeit LSI SAS controllers to drive 16 3.5 disks. Wish me luck. $40 for both shipped.