Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So I picked up a Synology DS214 NAS, and I absolutely love it. I opened up ports 22 for shell access, modified the standard HTTP/S ports, have a certificate setup on it, disabled the admin account, and have a 12 character alphanumeric password generated by LastPass as my (admin) account.

I'm getting hit by SSH attacks every few hours - is that common? I have it autoblocking IPs for 5 incorrect attempts w/in 10 minutes, should I decrease that time limit? Any other security measures I should enable so I can access this bad boy from outside my LAN?

Thanks, dudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Just picked up 2x 3TB WD Reds at $109.99 a piece! Went back to grab the link for you guys, and it was back to $132 :(

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I am selling 2x 2TB WD Reds on SA-Mart right now if anyone's interested!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684596

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I wish CrashPlan worked better on my Synology DS214. Bogs down the CPU too much, so I have to use Amazon Glacier. Oh well, it's only a couple of bucks per month.

It works great on my other systems though!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone run Crashplan on a Synology DS214? Everything I've read says that it'll really bog it down as it's resource heavy, but I trust goons over some lovely blogger.

I'm currently using Glacier as an offsite backup, but it's so loving slow to upload.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a security webcam that plays nice with Synology boxes?

I use the DS Surveillance app with my Foscam 8918W and it works great.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is 80% RAM usage on a Synology DS214 overtaxing it? Is that OK?

I'm trying to run Crashplan on my device, but it (java) has been using a ton of resources lately, causing it to hang/slow down tremendously.

Any tips?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm currently running Crashplan on a Synology DS214, and I'm using up 90%+ of RAM constantly.

Would upgrading to a DS415+ (2GB RAM, more HD bays) help?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
DSM 6 breaks CrashPlan pretty badly.

Makes me want to get rid of this loving DS214 and get a FreeNAS box.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So my Synology DS-214 is starting to age a bit, and I'm looking to expand past its storage capabilities.

Is there a FreeNAS for Dummies somewhere that I can use as a guide for speccing out a new system?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

DrDork posted:

As a general PSA for everyone using FreeNAS and the Crashplan plugin, who have noticed over the last few weeks that the forced update to 4.8 totally fucks with your ability to manage it remotely / run it headless, this wonderful guy went through all the obnoxiousness of figuring every last loving step out (including updating java and everything) and posted a very nice guide that you can virtually copy/paste right into the CLI and make work. Only error is you have to run the crashplan service at least once in order to generate the .ui_info file before there'll be anything in it to copy, but other than that it's 100% solid.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-v4-8-not-updating-working.46548/page-2#post-325445

Man, poo poo like this is why I'm happy I moved Crashplan off Synology and onto a VM somewhere else. Crashplan just doesn't want to make a NAS-friendly product.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

16GB, yes on windows. Not willing to setup a linux vm just for a backup plan really...

Docker it

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

caberham posted:

Even if I get a synology can I get another device just for transcoding Movies?

I do this - I have a media server with my Synology shares automounted over nfs, and it does all the heavy lifting of transcoding via Plex

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
loving Crashplan.

I guess it's time to Synology all the things.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Need validation of plan and/or advice. Budget is < $1000 prefer to buy through Amazon

Random background Ok quick sanity check. I have like, twenty....two? years of files I have been slowly accumulating since I was a nerd in middle school. Since college mostly just backups of digital camera photos etc and more recently cell phone photos/videos. I have 4-ish TB of data, no video no Plex, no Kodi/XBMC bullshit, no streaming security cameras, ...I guess I have ~15GB of MP3s from the MP3 craze of the early 2000s. At some point I will probably be adding baby photos/videos and want to back those up as well. Anyways, no hard performance requirements, modern technology vastly outstrips my needs.

My existing setup is this massive home built 4U (rackmount) core i5 haswell (2013?) era device (also doubled as a VM lab) with 4x 2-4TB drives, it is massive, noisy, and helped me learn windows server data stuff. Anyways it's huge and noisy and 5 years old at this point.

I need something smaller and quieter for my 4TB of data. Living in California my house is substantially smaller than the old one in Texas. Here is my plan:

Initial setup (phase I )

- Buy a Synology DiskStation DS418 for like, $370
- Buy 2 x brand new 6TB drives, one each from different manufacturers @ $165 ea = $330
- Setup the disks in SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) array
- Rsync(?) 4TB from the old machine to the new synology diskstation

Phase II

- Format the old 2 and/or 4TB disks still in my old server
- Add them to the Synology DS418 as part of the above SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) array
- triple zero out the old unused disks drill a hole in them
- Throw away/craigslist the old core i5, old now-dead disks

Total cost: $700-ish

I plan on connecting this thing primarily to a windows 10 laptop a couple times a week via gig-e and very periodically to a 2017-era mac laptop

This seems like a great idea to me. I'd do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm currently running an old Synology DS214 from a few years back, and am looking to upgrade.

I'm running 2x 4TB WD Reds from 2017, and running out of space using Synology's SHR raid thing. Would it make sense if I wanted to upgrade to the DS918+, if I was looking to upgrade the storage, and maybe have the option of streaming Plex through it? I currently have a standalone system that does nothing except run a Crashplan VM and serve out Plex to my clients, so I'm hoping the 918+ would be able to do this too.