Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Hello!

I am looking for a NAS for my father's small business, he needs a storage solution for archived data that may need to be referenced (manual backup), space to back up his laptop on a regular basis (hopefully automated), and to handle surveillance video (3 cameras 640x480, looking to upgrade and expand).

I wanted to see if you guys have any recommendations for an off the shelf solution (ex QNAP, Synology) that would be the best fit. We are looking to do RAID 5 or RAID 6 and have a good surveillance video tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Devian666 posted:

I'm bit of a fan of QNAP after my good experiences this year but I understand Synology have similar features and is also easy to use.

It sounds like at least a 4 bay NAS is needed. The following link is for the lower cost models but they have an SMB mid range selection with more features.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/series/home

For QNAP their utility allows for easy drive mapping on the network. They have Qsync which allows you to create a folder that is replicated on the NAS, and it's all automatic. The folder can be synced with other computers as well so there could be multiple copies.

The low end models come with 2 IP camera licenses and you'd need to purchase another license for the third camera. The higher end models come with more licenses by default but you just purchase what you need. A TS-431P2 could be a good fit but it depends on how much storage is actually needed.

Have you tried the surveillance feature on the QNAP? how reliable is it ?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
last year i have purchase 3 x 14 TB easy store drives for shucking purposes. I was going to get another 3 drives this year but vacation got in the way of black friday.

I was thinking about taking my current desktop which is a Pentium G3258 with 24 gigabytes of memory install the drives, 1 SSD for a cache drive and use Unraid. I see that in the past couple of pages that this is an avenue to go. I have a Lenovo m920q with 32 gigs of memory running my docker containers. If i am running one or two containers on the unraid box will the G3258 be sufficient to run unraid?

Also say down the line i want to add more drives to a pool, would it be easy to do this?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

Drives don't need to be a matching size or anything, they just need to no be larger than your parity drive, so you can mix and match with whatever drives you have or pick up on sale going forward.

e:fb

What if the new drives is larger than the parity drive? How will that work out

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
A year ago I bought 3 x 14 tb easy stores and now I just ordered 3x18 tb. Once the 18TBs arrive I’m going to decommission my desktop and turn it into a unraid box.

Goal is to move all the content from my google drive (48TB). I would like to find a cloud storage solution that I can back up the NAS on. Would it be possible to use the $7 black blaze option?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Question:

I have this motherboard (.https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813130695 ), is there a SATA expansion card that i should get? right now i have 1 SSD and 3 x 16 TB drives in a Z1 configuration. I plan to add 3 x 14 TB in Z1 in the same pool, and if the ability to expand a pool comes around, i would like to add one more 14 and 16 tb drive too the Z1 config.

Out of all the slots, i am only using 1 PCI with an nvidia graphics card that I was hoping to pass through so I can reclaim my desktop (might be a bad idea since its a Intel Pentium G3258 )

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

YerDa Zabam posted:

Unraid have a page up promoting their "cyber weekend" price reductions (as well as prizes and stuff)
No actual price details though.
From what I can glean from searching previous years, they only reduce the unlimited one though? That'd be a shame as the 12 device one will be more than enough for me.
I'll wait and see anyway as I've 3 weeks of the trial left.

https://unraid.net/blog/cyber-weekend-giveaway

or you could join the dark side and install truenas scale

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Someone two blocks over released some mylar balloons and it hit the power lines blowing a transformer.

My truenas system is kaput. back up back up back up guys

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Wibla posted:

Can also recommend surge protectors :v:

Are you sure it's not just the PSU?

That too. was hoping for a sale on an APC

So the computer turns on but nothing shows up on the screen. the screen is blank

Im going to start removing hardware until it starts posting. it would be a shame to lose the graphics card. I think i am more frustrated with adding another item to the already kilometer long todo list.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
its a MSI Z87-G41, the case doesnt have a speaker (antec 300), or a light or a 7 segment thing. its a really old machine equipped with a G3258, the specs make it look like a ford fiesta but it was zippy enough to be my every day linux machine.

i have another antec case that might have a speaker, if it does i'll pop it off and try to plug it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

wibble posted:

I backed this on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icewhaletech/zimacube-personal-cloud-re-invented?ref=user_menu
Its a six disk + SSD NAS , not intrested in their OS so I'll just stick trueNAS on it. But for $400 for a full system that you can just put disks and your own OS in and boot up is something the market needs.

I hope I get it.

dang! missed out on it