Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

movax posted:

ZFS guys: I'm getting suspiciously high CPU usage during file transfers (network write to server) that I think might be bottlenecking my write speeds.

2TB 5900rpm drive on my desktop, copying to my shiny new zpool (2x 6-drive RAID-Z2s, Seagate 5900), speeds are average ~65MB/s, but the load average reported on CPU (E6600) is nuts, 2.8. No dedup, no compression (at least I assume compressratio = 1.00x means compression is off). Any ideas what is owning CPU?

Can you post a "top"? On my FreeNAS virtualbox (I'm evaluating NASes right now) the drat em0 interface (emulated intel server MT) kernel thread would go to 50% cpu. :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

BnT posted:

I'm looking for a hand with ZFS sharing. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm trying to make some shares like this:

tank/media shared via NFS
tank/media/video shared via SMB
tank/media/audio shared via SMB

Right now I just have tank/media shared via both NFS and SMB and it works fine, but I'd like to have individual video and audio SMB shares to only expose relevant data to applications.

Would I need to make nested datasets/filesystems to make this happen? If so, is it possible to move data instantly from a parent dataset into a nested dataset?

Samba doesn't care if it's zfs or minixfs. Delete SMB root share in smb.conf, add 2 new shares. Caveat: it's been years since I've touched samba.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

You're running it in user mode, not kernel so there's a bunch of overhead.

If you're comfortable with the commandline, it's not that hard to run FreeBSD and set up a ZFS array and the sharing protocol of your choosing through the Ports system.

I know the userland tools of *BSD act differently but the main thing I had to get used to was everything being underneath /usr.

Your other choice is kFreeBSD which will run ZFS natively with the Debian userland/apt packaging system. But it's an older version of ZFS.

Personally I'm running FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 and it hasn't been too big of an adjustment. Play around with them in VMs and see what you like.

(also what else do you plan on running)

EDIT: Just fired up kFreeBSD in a VM. You can install the 8.1 kernel, which has ZFS version 15. Everything else, including apt works exactly like Debian. Heck, I might start using it once it switches to the 9.x kernel. ("apt-get install zfsutils")

http://zfsonlinux.org/ links a repository https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/+archive/stable for ubuntu that will give you kernel modules for ZFS. I tried it on virtualbox and it read some virtual raid arrays without problems.
I'd say give that a try. But beware, solaris code has been written and tested by a big corporation and shipped in storage products for a some years, BSD code has been integrated from the public release of that code by a bunch of volunteers for a few kernel releases, linux code is an adaption layer (Solaris porting layer (SPL, spl.ko)) and a port of the original code which wont ever be integrated into the linus kernel and probably has less developers than BSD looking at it and has been available for less time than BSD and has seen even less testing.
I might be wrong on some points, I've just been toying with the idea of building a NAS and trying products in VMs.