Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

:words:

They recommend no more then 8 disks per ZRaid. You cannot live expand a ZRaid but you can add in a new Zraid and add it to a zpool. A zraid (or mirror or single disks) is the underlying storage while a zpool is what collects all those storage devices together into a place where you can make a filesystem.

You typically wan't to use the same size disk's for your Zraids because it will only use the smallest drive's worth of data. (if you have 500gb, 1tb, 1tb, it will be like you have 3 500's).

Also i've recently started playing with Nexenta. It is a opensolaris distro that ports the Debian userland to live on top of the solaris kernel. Not every package is ported but they are actively working on porting more packages. It makes upgrading easy and they have rtorrent working on it as a package so if you use or like rtorrent then you might want to look into rtorrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

My one other question is if it is possible to use full disk encryption on zfs? While not critically important, it would be nice to secure all my accounting files and documents. I suppose I could just make a truecrypt virtual drive and map it or something.

I dunno. I've never really bothered with encryption.

As a side note, you can turn on compression in ZFS as well, if i recall i have gzip level 6 enabled on mine and all my files are transparently stored compressed.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Have any of you toyed with UNRAID vs ZFS? The main difference being unraid costs money, but it seems to beat out ZFS in benefits. Is the cost why no one talks about UNRAID here? I'm trying to weigh both so anyone with input on unraid I would love to hear. :)

What does unraid give you that ZFS doesn't besides the ability to throw in an extra drive to resize the array?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Rexz posted:

-RAID-Z. I have zero Solaris experience so I'd need a very good reason to jump boat.

You can try out Nexenta, it is the Solaris Kernel with Debian/Ubuntu userland. Not all the Ubuntu packages have been ported but a good number has. The company behind the Nexenta OS sells a customized version designed for storage but the regular OS can be used just fine.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Terpfen posted:

No empty USB slots, and I'm looking for a more elegant solution than buying a USB hub and plugging the MyBook into the Dell would allow. Also, the Dell, like the gaming PC, is not always on.

That's the thing, I don't need an FTP or iTunes server, or hardware BitTorrent, or any of that. They're great features, but I'm just not in the market for them. I just want a network drive where I can stuff as many files as possible, and I'd like to turn the MyBook into a Time Machine drive for my Mac.

I'm pretty sure the drive in the MyBook is SATA, so that won't work. I'm starting to think I should just pony up the money and buy the 1TB MyBook World Edition.

it's not hardware bittorrent it's just running an application.

For a NAS they have to be running a mini computer essentially in order to handle all the things that a plain old NAS requires. Most of these NAS's are running a stripped down version of Linux with some sort of processor, motherboard, ram etc all in there. A USB hard drive is just that, a hard drive that plugs into usb, the computer you plug it into contains all the poo poo to run it.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Twiin posted:

I'm really kind of torn on what to do with my storage. Right now I've got a very old and very loud full tower system running Vista (I was in the WHS beta but got hit with the data corruption bug) with 7 IDE HDs crammed in it for a total of 3TB or so. I use it as my fileserver, FTP server, and for SAB.

I have two Windows 7 machines (desktop/laptop), plus XBMC and an Xbox 360 that stream video.

Should I bother trying to find a proper server solution so that I can run FTP/SAB/etc off of it, or should I just go with one of the two-slot NAS boxes with 1.5TB drives and upgrade the disks as drive capacity increases, and then run FTP/SAB off my desktop?

That Chenbro/Storbox solution looks beautiful, but I bet it costs a pretty penny to get setup.

If you got the money http://www.stringliterals.com/?p=77 is a pretty good list of hardware for a good NAS. (Please note about 2/3 of the price for them is the harddrives)

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

If i wanted to setup a ZFS File Server serving to a mixture of Linux and Windows(mostly windows). What is the best choice for OS? From what i can tell there is something murky going on with OpenSolaris? Should i try FreeBSD?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

I am currently using an old version of OpenSolaris w/ RaidZ. I am looking at CrashPlan to back things up and i'm trying to decide how I want to do things. My OpenSolaris needs updating, but with what Oracle is doing, am i better off switching to FreeBSD w/ ZFS or to try and use OpenIndiana?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

what is this posted:

Switch to freeNAS.

What does freenas get me that FreeBSD or OpenIndiana doesn't?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

hootimus posted:

Good info, thank you.

My 6TB JBOD is setup as a single volume, only like 1.2TB is actually used, so I should be able to resize the volume and yank one of the extra disks out.

If you're getting another 2TB drive, you could just copy your data to that, turn the existing drives into raid5, copy over the data, then add in the final 2TB drive.

Probably safer then yank a drive out of JBOD?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

Can you be more specific? I currently have probably 60GB of data I would want to backup, is something like mozy.com the way to go then?

Are there any GoonPreferred providers?

I prefer crashplan, they are still unlimited, their software works on windows, solaris, mac and linux, they store versions of your files, and they don't delete files if you do no matter how long ago it was deleted, unless you tell them to.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

I don't know how many people have tried it, but ZFS on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE is great. I've had no problems with it what so ever.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

For what it's worth I went from an old version of Open Solaris and exported the pools, then imported them into FreeBSD 8.X.

You only get zpool version 15 with FreeBSD 8.x and it wasn't really stable in 7.x. FreeBSD 9.x will bring support for zpool v28.

I've had 0 problems with FreeBSD + ZFS (you just have to make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf)

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Dudebro posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to discuss with a friend what we need to build a NAS box, never done one before.

I think we've settled on FreeBSD and RAID-Z with at least 5 drives to start. I'm not sure what the process is of setting everything up though. And what card do we get?

Like is RAID-Z an option when you use FreeBSD? Is it even the best file system option?

Raid Z is certainly an option with FreeBSD. Make sure you are using 8.x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

Is there any compelling reason to pick Microserver vs That Nice looking Lian Li case + newegg parts?

The cost will probably be roughly similar, but I don't know enough about the microserver to make an informed decision.