Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason not to get Seagate archive drives? The 8TB one (ST8000AS0002) has by far the best price per gb and have good results in the backblaze analysis. Although it's a bit more than I need right now for non-redundant storage so I might go for a smaller drive and then get another one later.

Speaking of redundancy, I recall there being a system that let you set up your storage such that part of it was fully mirrored for the critical data, and the rest was lower redundancy RAID or JBOD or something. Seems like that would be the best thing for me as I could keep a small amount of important documents highly secure, and leave my Linux ISO archive exposed to somewhat higher risk. Does such a thing still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

I wish they had those deals in Europe too :negative: I too would buy a big pile for that price.. holy poo poo!
Yeah no poo poo. An actual WD Red costs like $300 here, gently caress me. The best I can do is the Archive Seagate for $250 so I went hunting and almost just bought a pair of 4TB Reds for 50% off! Except I noticed just seconds before checkout that they're some sort of refurbished deal with 1 year warranty only :supaburn:

So back to square one. Are the Ironwolf drives ok? Backblaze doesn't seem to have those but they're a bit cheaper. Otherwise 4Tb Red or HGST are pretty similar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I tracked down one of the few HGST vendors here and ordered a drive a week ago from a city less than 250 miles away and it's still stuck god knows where fuuuuck how is it not deviled next day goddamn it :argh:

Hopefully it won't have this power disable feature at least...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, I just paid that for a 4TB HGST and that was one of the cheapest options here, this poo poo really makes me jealous. Also the loving thing took two weeks to travel 300km what the hell are the they smoking at the post office.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
HGST seems to be dead as a brand but are Ultrastars still a good pick for home mass storage of photos and videos?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Molten Llama posted:

WD Blue: General-purpose desktop drive.
WD Red: NAS drive. (Or "NAS drive" in the case of EFAX SMR models. Don't buy an EFAX model.)
WD Black: Fast desktop drive.

Seagate Skyhawk: Surveillance drive. Probably not what you want for a desktop or future NAS.
Seagate Ironwolf: NAS drives. Has features the WDs don't, and doesn't ever come in dumb broken SMR configurations.
Seagate BarraCuda: General-purpose desktop drive.
Seagate BarraCuda Pro: Fast desktop drive.
Ok what about the Ultrastars? They're barely if at all more expensive than the Reds/Ironwolves and seem to be good in based on that Backblaze study but not necessarily the models I can find like HUS728T8TALE6L4.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm possibly going to get a Synology 415+ with the famous blue blink of death, and hopefully will be able to revive it. Does the Synology software let you create multiple volumes with the disks? For example I'm thinking getting 2 mirrored drives for the important poo poo and then throwing in one of my existing old drives for non-redundant storage of my very legal Linux ISO collection and what not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

I believe so, yes. I was planning on doing a similar setup once I get a few more HDDs in.
That's good news! Unfortunately someone outbid be at the last moment by like 40% so that'll have to wait.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

Best Buy has the 14TB Easystore for $189. I think it's part of their rolling pre-black friday deals.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?skuId=6425303
Shiiiiiit. That's less than what a 4tb drive costs here.

This seems like a local issue but, no joke, the 4TB drives (even Barracudas and Reds and what not), are more expensive than the 4TB HGST Ultrastar I bought 3 years ago. I get that it's not the best value capacity any more but it doesn't get much better at 6 or 8, and 14TB is at least $450. I thought Thailand was under water again, but the cave boys were at least a year or two agao :wtc:

Do you just harvest the drives or use them as is? Seems like a good source for cheaper disks but then you probably lose the warranty which is a bummer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Maybe it checks the email address? I won't let me create a business account with details of a parking garage and my gmail

Is this deal only on the 14tbs? I'm considering having them freight forwarded to europe (even with shipping and tax it's half price lol) but it's s bit more than I need in the near future.

He said before rebuilding the array in a year.

E: does anyone know how much the package weighs, for the shipment calculator?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 16, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got a DS415+ with the C2000 bug on the way. I guess the cat is out of the bag now because they do go for quite a bit on ebay, but if the resistor actually fixes it, it's still easily worth it. Now for the actual drives... if it weren't for the loving covid I just would've picked them up at BB in person.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Pretty much. There was a time you could pick them up for a song because they were "broken" and being sold for parts. Seems that most sellers have since figured out how easy they are to repair and have upped the prices accordingly, but they're still decent systems.
Yeah they aren't going for scrap value any more but still not too bad, I snagged my for a bit over 120EUR. It's not so much the sellers, they mostly seem to be clueless, but there are enough buyers aware of the issue to drive up the prices. Still it's less than half of what a new 2 bay model costs here so a pretty good deal IMO unless it's completely hosed lol.
Oooh. I was thinking the 14tb was too much/too expensive so this might be about right. Although price/tb isn't that great...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the DS415+ actually got delivered today which was surprising but turns out one of the post offices works on Saturdays.

Apart from one little scratch it looks good as new, and made all the right C2000 bug symptoms, so I happily jumped into it... only to find the resistor already soldered there. :owned:

I replaced it just in case and tried a different stick of ram but it still won't boot. I'll try different value resistors but I'm not too optimistic. As I understood, it just needs a 25mhz clock which I could DIY, but without a scope I probably won't be able to tell what the hell is going on there.
E: the CMOS battery is dead, I doubt that's it but worth a try, too bad it's one of these weird-rear end CR1220

DrDork posted:

Pretty much. There was a time you could pick them up for a song because they were "broken" and being sold for parts. Seems that most sellers have since figured out how easy they are to repair and have upped the prices accordingly, but they're still decent systems.
Well turns out the biggest problem isn't the price but that the fix might've been already attempted and failed :v:

E2: gently caress YEAH IT WORKS, it was the loving battery lol. It's got 2 gigs of RAM now, should I just throw in a 4GB module while it's still open? Will it make it go faster?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 21, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well hopefully nothing else blows up in the near future, because getting to the motherboard is a pain in the rear end.

I replaced the RAM with a 4gb module from a laptop I'm not using anyway. I didn't realize you need some drives to install the OS onto, I thought it'd have something on the flash. Oh well, gonna wait a bit and see if anything goes on sale during our fake black Friday.

E:
Does anyone know what the 8TB Seagate Expansion Desktop (STEB8000402) have in them? I found them for sale in Austria for just 100EUR but some people say they have some SMR crap, IronWolves, or even Exos drives in them.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 22, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Such a think exists but I've only seen it up to two drives. You can connect something like this dumb enclosure directly to the PC through USB.
https://www.amazon.com/24TB-Desktop...06160420&sr=8-2

Anything larger (>2 drives) like the Synology or this WD NAS, I think only work through the network. But I don't think it should be a problem, you don't have to run anything on the NAS if you don't want to, it can just give you your files.
https://www.amazon.com/EX4100-Expert-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00TB8XNEC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=WD+24tb&qid=1606160420&sr=8-3

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got two 12tb My Books on the way :woop:

Despite the sale that's... quite a bit of money, but it will be the first time in years I'm not constantly running out of space. If any EU goons need disks, this is the best cost/TB short of SMR drives at 164EUR (after 10EUR newsletter discount): https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_wd-my-book-12-tb-3-5-zoll-schwarz-2586263.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got my 8TB Elements yesterday, they were fine so I shucked and stuck them in the DS415+. The model is WD80EADAZ, made in September. It's working :woop:

That said before I move too much crap on them, would it make sense to add a bootable SSD? I have an 128gb one sitting all useless in an old PC so it might make sense for the OS, cache, or to let the other drives spin down when not used (which is 99% of the time)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I went with Btrfs but it's not set in stone, I could still nuke it while it's mostly empty

E: the downside obviously is I lose 1/4th of drive bays, which I could otherwise populate with older 4 and 2TB drive for non-critical data

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Add a cache drive, fine. Don't pretend the synology won't spend all drat day spinning those things up and down though, just leave them all on. I didn't even realize there was a way for it to have the "OS" on a dedicated disk - it sounds like a terrible idea. If you only have 4 bays you're going to be limited to 16TB usable @ 3x8TB disks. I wouldn't bother with a cache disk. Add ram if you can.
Well I don't know if that's the typical situation, but FWIIW it seems to be spending most of the day and night sleeping now which is good. I actually don't know if there's a way to have a dedicated OS drive but I assume that the first disk you install gets it, I mean where else it would go. But it would make sense that it's installed on all additional drives during initialization in case of failure. Already popped in 4 gigs when I was fixing it, seems more than enough so far.

Also,

Dec. 7th

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: 18tb Easystores for $279 :siren:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuId=6427995

I already have a 8TBs installed so that's enough for now. Right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been transferring data from old drives that were just sitting on the shelf to my newish NAS, and one of them isn't cooperating. It's a WD Caviar WD5000AAKS. It spins up and then stops before it's detected, maybe 10-15 seconds or so. I've seen bad sectors or drives just not spinning up, but not this. Is there a typical cause for this type of failure? I'm using an external USB adapter from a shucked drive so kind of hoping it'll work in a PC but preparing for the worst

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I set up Sonarr on my DS415+ and let it loose on a new show. It seems like the downloads ramped up and now the NAS is completely unresponsive. It can clearly hear the disks still working away, but I can't connect to the web interface or SSH into it anymore.

Has anyone ran into this situation? I thought it'd finish by now but there's no way to check on the progress either. I guess it'll either unfuck itself by the time I finish work or maybe I could disconnect the internet for a bit to get it to stop.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah that happens to my DS112j if I have download station do more than one download at a time. I don't know Sonarr, but if you can reduce the number of things it needs to do simultaneously, that'd be the way to go in the future.

If you give it time, it's going to finish the job, but disconnecting the internet seems like a good idea if you can't wait for that.

Thanks, good to know I didn't just gently caress something up. I don't really "know" Sonarr either but there has to be a way to limit downloads either there or in the torrent clientz which is download station as well. For all I know it tried downloading the whole season at once, but it's still pretty wild that this completely knocked out the NAS.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's no that it just struggles, after 8 hours it's still completely unreachable. I've now tried disconnecting internet and even unhooking it altogether from the network but it still continues to do something and doesn't respond to anything. Since it can't be actually downloading anything now, it has to be something with allocating space or moving around the data or something

If I can get back in, I'll definitely try adjusting tbe number of downloads. Never had a problem with even 2 or 3 going before.

Update: I left it running without any network for an hour or two and still nothing. Force-rebooted it and everything's back to normal. There were 7 torrents 50-70% completed so... wasn't very close to finished lol. It's a bummer cause I had almost a year of uptime on it but at least I can update it now :v:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 25, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aware posted:

That sounds totally nuts to me, is it weaker than a raspberry pi?
As Wizard says, it's possible. It has an Atom C2538 which is an even older CPU than the NAS itself. Plus I might've had some VMs running at the time (in addition to Docker Sonarr) :v:

It's not going to be an issue though, I just set it to 2 consecutive downloads which is perfectly fine for me and causes no performance issues.

E: for your amusement, I just ran Geekbench on the thing: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/15123612

242 single core and 766 multicore.

It's not much, obviously, a modern Atom scores like 3x more single core for example. But not that bad either. It's way more than budget Arm CPUs like you'd find in Android TV boxes https://gadgetversus.com/processor/rockchip-rk3228a-geekbench-5-android/ and similar to Pi 4, it seems: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=raspberry+pi+4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 26, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah as a giant nerd with a bunch of old laptops and PCs around, I thought I was going to re-use an older desktop but... the newest one I could use is Sandy Bridge, it would be noisy, power hungry, and huge, plus I'd have to actually set everything up myself. Then I discovered that this generation has a known issue that bricks them but can be unbricked by soldering one resistor so I picked a faulty one on ebay for peanuts and it solved all my problems. I don't even have to janitor it.

At least this old one won't do hardware transcoding or run a ton of VMs (or 10 torrents at once as I discovered) but none of that is really an issue for me. Still have 2 empty slots too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cool story, bro.

Is there a way to get Synology DSM to run a job when the system wakes up? That doesn't seem to be an option in the "Secheduled Tasks" thingie, and from what I've seen one solution is to write a script in /etc/pm but there's no /etc and I'm not enough of a Linux nerd to work out how to get around that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JockstrapManthrust posted:

You can do this in the Task Scheduler (I'm using DSM 7).
If you go to the Control Panel, and in the Services section open up the Task Scheduler.
Then click Create > Triggered Task > User-defined Script.
Name the task, set the user to run it under, and the event to trigger it, such as Boot-Up.

I use this to stop and remove the ActiveInsight and HybridShare services on boot and it works great.

Just in case anyone wants to do that, I run that on the Boot-Up trigger as the Root user.

synopkg stop ActiveInsight && synopkg uninstall ActiveInsight

synopkg stop HybridShare && synopkg uninstall HybridShare
I actually saw this a while ago but at least in DSM 6 I have two options: "Boot-up" and "Shutdown". I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that this would only trigger on actual cold boot and not on wake from sleep. I could just test it, of course :downs:

Charles Mansion posted:

It looks like you can create cron jobs and put your script in /var/services/homes/username.
Cron can't run task on events like resume/wake, as far as I know though.

The idea here is that I'll stop some services that prevent the NAS from going into standby at night and start them back up whenever it wakes up in the morning. Maybe it's weird because "it's a server" and all but there's usually no reason for it to run while I'm sleeping or working or on vacation. Plus I have WoL if I do need it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll second Synology. Even my ancient one is plenty fast at file transfer, and is super easy to set up. At the same time at least with the + models you can make it do anything you want. The newer ones would support hadrware transcoding.

I think Scruff McGruff is right though about 2-bay ones being limiting, if you're storing movies or shooting RAW photos or videos, it'll fill up in no time. And with two drives only, you're kind of stuck. You'll have to get two much bigger drives and somehow transfer the data and then you're stuck with two extra drives. Instead of just popping in a fresh disk. You could get a slightly used four-bay model for the price of a two-bay new one if that's a concern.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

OK, this may be a loaded question, but assuming a regular Windows 10 desktop and a Synology DS218, and for sake of argument they're running the exact same setup - a single 4TB Samsung SSD - on a wired gigabit ethernet connection to my router, would I see better read/write performance from one or the other when a wireless device reads/writes? Or are there way too many factors to make a call here?

I'm guessing your wireless connection is going to be the bottleneck in any case.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Any canucks see any good drive prices recently? My 4x6TB Unraid is getting up into the mid 80% utilization and thinkin bout adding some more drives.. Wondering what the sweet spot is these days. If 6TBs are cheap as heck I could just throw a few in there (and possibly have to upgrade my unraid)

Not Canadian so YMMV. When I bought my disks about a year ago, 8TBs already made sense. Also check if there's a sale on WD Elements, they're using, supposedly, the same drives as WD Reds and are often much cheaper.

E: US$ 178 for 12TB, stolen from reddit:

quote:

The official WD store has some WD Elements on sale right now and you also get a free 128GB USB Stick with an order and an additional year warranty (at least in the EU)

This results in €166,59 for a 12TB Elements in the German store with +1 year extra warranty +usb stick +free shipping (€13,8825/TB)

You reach this price if you put products worth >500 in your basket, abort the order on the last step and wait a day; you will receive a -15% off coupon for your purchase. This voucher is available in the EU, not sure about other regions.

Seems a lot (or all) countries have this sale at the moment, the price in the US for 12TB is $210 instead of $260. With the -15% discount it would be $178,50.

Inside are WD120EDBZ or WD120EMFZ or WD120EDGZ. All helium models.

Also other TB models are on sale

https://imgur.com/a/X3bRevf

DE: https://www.westerndigital.com/de-de/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-EESN

AT: https://www.westerndigital.com/de-at/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-EESN

US: https://www.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN

UPDATE: it is definitely working for the US, I received the voucher today and the price gets reduced to $178,49 !

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/v6pmu4/psa_wd_elements_12tb_on_sale_with_free_128gb_usb/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the last thing I did to my Synology NAS was add a 4TB HGST disk as non-redundant storage for my Linux ISOs. Buut I kind of forgot that it's a notoriously noisy drive and does seek noises every few seconds even when it's not actually doing anything. And maybe because of this it also seems to keep the system from hibernating.

But I don't see any way to turn the drive off anywhere. There's a grayed-out "Deactivate" option under HDD/SSD, and there are only "Remove" buttons under storage pool and volume. So there's really no way to bring it offline short of physically pulling out the drive to see what it does to noise and hibernation? It's one drive in one storage pool and volume.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 10, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Korean Boomhauer posted:

The more I read about this stuff, the less I seem to know, so I'll just brain-dump some questions here.

I wanna build a NAS to get some data off of drives that are just sitting in anti-static bags on a shelf. I was thinking about getting a Jonsbo N1 and putting 5 16tb drives in it in a RaidZ3 configuration, and then getting a single 16tb usb drive as some kind of backup (I'm dumb as hell and don't know how to back up a NAS to that USB drive but it's something I want to do. Perhaps I can build a simple 2 bay NAS for backups?). I think once I get rid of old stuff off the drives I don't care about, it'll most likely fit on a single 16tb drive, but I wanna build my NAS out for future expansion and save the external backup for stuff I actually care about.

I have no clue what parts to pick out really to get the whole ecc and zfs thing. I think what I'd like to do is to be able to host a few things on it as well, like pihole, a webpage diff scanner thing, and maybe a couple other simple things. Eventually someday plex. I think the only thing I know is if I want to go ryzen, I'd have to get a Pro CPU.

Sorry for the braindump aag.
You could get an off-the-shelf solution from Synology or QNAP if you don't want to janitor all this stuff. Although if you want, I'm sure someone would be able to help with that as well.

I basically had the same situation with old drives sitting in various states of neglect that I wanted to finally consolidate everything to make sure I don't lose any old photos and other things that I forgot to migrate. Most disks were pretty old and so small, so I put two 8TB drives in a 4-bay Synology and copied everything there. Would you really need 5 16TB drives of capacity?

An external drive to back up the important stuff separately is certainly a good idea though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo people, are you all running home labs or something? I average that for total power consumption over a month, including an oven, and fish tank among other things.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't idle my oven all day long :) Fish tank isn't being actively heated mostly either. Synology NAS, maybe 10-15w, switch and modem??? but not much. I don't have a recent power bill handy but based on the price it has to average around that, maybe 300w tops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Found a bill, it was 551kWh from Jan 1st-April 1st. That's 255w average exactly :smug:

Obviously not including hot water and heating because that's central and not electric. No a/c. Obviously those might be necessary where you are, it was just a bit :eyepop: at networking and NAS gear using >200W by itself. I've actually since then made an effort to suspend/shut down more stuff including the NAS which should be off during the night mostly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh look, some dork got a Netflix cache server to use as a NAS, and you might be able too if you want a 1.5kW machine at home!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/10/redditor-acquires-decommissioned-netflix-cache-server-with-262tb-of-storage/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The problem with NSAs backups is that they're fiendishly difficult to access.

Just need to make a FOI request

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trastion posted:

I recently got a Synology to run the files for my Plex server and after it sits idle for a while when I go into the plex app on my phone it always says there are no files because the hard drives have all went into sleep mode. Is there a way to adjust this or turn it off on the Synology? Is it ok to turn it off?

it is a DS1621+ with Seagate 16TB IronWolf Pro drives if that matters

Yes it's called disk hibernation in their terminology:

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/What_is_the_difference_between_HDD_Hibernation_System_Hibernation_and_Deep_Sleep

It's ok to turn off but you'll probably see conflicting opinions on what that does to disk reliability (more spin ups but stopped when not needed vs spinning 24/7).

MockingQuantum posted:

I could look into this, it doesn't sound like a huge addition of complexity. I mostly want something that I can set up once and kind of forget about it, other than transferring media and backups occasionally.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I still feel like I'm a bit in over my head but I'll look around at the options and if I still have any questions I can't find answers to I'll drop them in here. I'm hoping I can kind of puzzle it out from here now that I have a starting point, though.
As another data point, I have all the media stored on the NAS and just use an old Windows tablet to drive the projector. But a $30 android box would work just as well.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I recently used it to restore my laptop. The speed seemed reasonable but I only had less than 200GB to restore.

It was a pain in the rear end to get working because it doesn't support WiFi and there's no native LAN card, so I had to use a Lenovo Thunderbolt dock but it didn't recognize any of the drivers I added. The solution ended up being to restore the stock windows installation, use that to create another restore image with the dock connected, which caused it to install the right drivers.

That is to say, what are you using on the server to start the process? Could it have wrong/bad drivers for the NIC?