Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

kalibar posted:

I have a bunch of dumb questions.

I have an Antec case with four 3.5" bays, and I just bought four Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB drives in hopes of doing a RAID-5 array. The trouble is that I want to run my OS off of something that isn't part of the array, and since I'm out of drive slots, I need to get creative. I'm using an old ASRock motherboard and an Athlon64 3400+ as the guts for this experiment, and I have a PCI slot to burn. Should I be looking at a PCI eSATA card and an external drive? (If so, any Newegg recommendations?) Or is there a better way to get a small OS drive in there? I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of CompactFlash or similar solution, I just don't really know what I should be looking at. I guess I could do a USB 2.0 external drive, but that poo poo would probably be pretty slow for my OS, right?
I'm guessing your case probably has some 5.25" bays available. Get a 3.5"->5.25" adapter plate and stick your OS drive in one of those 5.25" bays.

quote:

Also, I want to go hardware RAID for my RAID-5 setup. I need a PCI SATA card, too. Is there a good PCI card that does RAID-5 and also has 4+ SATA slots on it? I am crossing my fingers that something like this exists.
Good cards are going to be over $300 and probably be either PCI-X or PCI-Express. If the card ever dies you'll need to get a replacement card of the same kind in order to get at the array. If you ever decide you want a larger array, or a second array, you'll have to buy a whole new card.

I recommend software RAID... but if you're hell-bent on hardware RAID, I've heard good things about 3ware cards.

quote:

Next up, what kind of power supply should I be looking at? I want it to be as small/efficient as possible for four harddrives and my CPU, because I'm going to leave this machine running 24/7.
Looks like Newegg's got a great deal on this Corsair power supply.

quote:

Lastly, (and I feel dumb asking this), but my drives were "bulk" and conveniently shipped without SATA cables or power connectors. Can I buy a cheap 4-pack of these somewhere or what?
Check out PCH Cables, they've got pretty good prices on some SATA cables. If you get the Corsair PSU I linked to, it'll come with 6 SATA power connectors, and that will be plenty for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember hearing a couple of years ago that buying hard drives in bulk could net some pretty good deals. Is that still the case? Where would one go to find that sort of thing?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Where's your power supply going to sit?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
For those people with huge arrays of SATA hard drives, in the event of a hard drive failure, how do you identify which hard drive is the one that needs to be replaced? Is there a way to set up the system that makes it relatively easy to find?

Evilkiksass posted:

Right inside of the 24 pin slot. I will be using a 120 watt pico psu.
I know that this is very tight in terms of power but if you consider that all of the drives pulling max power plus the current atom board (which has an inefficient NB) would only put me at 4 watts over (assuming 80% efficiency on the PSU). With disks being spun down after 5-10 minutes of inactivity this should not be an issue I hope. If anyone knows of any tiny fanless PSUs that are more then 120 watts please link me.

At the moment I have an areca 1220. I am hoping that by the time I can get all this done the new chipset for the atom will be done and that should be pci-e.

Don't forget to factor in power consumption for that Areca card. Also make sure you stagger the spinup on those drives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Why is two small power supplies better than one larger one?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Evilkiksass posted:

Because I was planning to use 1 of these: http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f?sc=8&category=13

Since they are tiny and produce very little heat.
Instead I plan to use two of them and then just make a switch to short out the green and black (I think) wires to turn on the second one in order to power up the storage drives. Since they are SATA hotplug should not be an issue. 10 sata drives without staggered spinup should not pull over 80 Watts unless I totally screwed up my math (if I did please correct me, I would rather be wrong during design then implementation).

Remember that drives pull the most power at spinup, and I'm pretty sure a 3.5" hard drive will pull more than 8 watts at spinup.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

roflsaurus posted:

How do you stagger the spin up of drives? Does this require a BIOS that supports staggered spin ups?

This is generally a function you see on RAID cards. I think the hard drive also has to support it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard that TLER can be enabled on consumer-class drives, is that true?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think the Western Digital GP 1TB drives should be less expensive than the Seagate 1TB drives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stonefish posted:

A lot like that, yes. Except not in PCI-X flavour.
Let me see, 8 SATA2 ports would require 8x3Gbit/sec to avoid theoretical bottlenecks, right? 3GBytes/sec would be about 6 PCI-E 2.0 lanes, so I guess it would have to be a PCI-E 8x card.

The card linked above could only handle about a third of that. and yes, I know it's not easy to max out a single SATA lane with a 7200 disk.

Basically, I don't have any PCI-X slots, nor have I ever seen one anywhere.

What about a pair (or more) of 4-port SATA controllers? 4 PCI-E lanes should be more than sufficient bandwidth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

So, can you push 4 SATA disks worth of bandwidth through a PCI slot without bottlenecking it?
I don't think so. I can pull 80MB/sec from one of WD's Greenpower 1TB drives, and those aren't exactly high-performance drives; I'm quite certain that the PCI bus couldn't handle 320MB/sec.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alowishus posted:

Any suggestions for good tower chassis that can take an Intel/AMD motherboard and between 8 and 10 SATA drives? Server-class stuff would be preferred, but it seems that most cases from SuperMicro or Intel top out around 6 drives before they flip to 12-drive 2U+ chassis.

Goal is to create a server running Linux with ~6-9TB in RAID6 that sits quietly in the corner of an office to do nightly rsync snapshots of a 4TB datasource and keep a reasonable amount of history.

Here's a SuperMicro case with 8 hot-swap bays built in.

EDIT: You could also put in a 3-in-2 hot-swap bay up in those 5.25" spaces if you wanted to cram even more drives in.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 3, 2009

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm actually kind of impressed that he's getting full speed out of his gigabit network, I've heard that cheaper NICs and switches will only reach half to two-thirds that. I'm curious to know just what his configuration and setup is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LegionX posted:

I'll suggest the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adaptor.

I use it in all my boxes, and have experienced amazing speeds, without much CPU load.

(I also recommend the HP ProCurve 1800-8G switch.)

Does that switch allow teaming?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

politicorific posted:

Excellent, ended up getting an ECS motherboard with both a pci-e and pci slot (one for 802.11n wifi and the other for a future 4x or 8x sata card). I looked at the intel boards with gigabit, but my friend doesn't have any other gigabit hardware - the plan is to get an Ion htpc once they come out, but that's a ways out, but still 802.11n should be fast enough for a while.

I heard that some motherboards have issues with connecting non-video cards to their PCI-E 16x slots, is that no longer the case or is that just for really finicky high-end RAID controllers?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Has anyone heard anything peculiar about the WD 1.5TB drives? I know Newegg reviews are generally terrible, but it seems like the WD 1.5TB drives have a higher ratio of poor reviews than most other hard drives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm about to put together a RAID-6 array and I'd like to really beat the hell out of it for awhile - hopefully to get any premature failures or unforeseen incompatibilities out of the way. Does anyone know of a good utility program to do this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hey guys, I'm looking at snagging three of these EX-H34 hotswap cages from Lian-Li. (They're going into a P80.)

I managed to hunt down photos of the back of the cage's three-drive sibling and it looks like Lian-Li has the whole cage powered by one molex connector. I can't find photos of the back of the four-drive cage I want, but I imagine it could be the same.

My question: can one molex connector safely power four hard drives, plus a 120mm fan?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That's why I'm going with RAID-6 plus hotspare.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Vinlaen posted:

However, I guess RAID 6 is really the best solution. I think RAID 6 plus hot spare is a bit overkill (with my data at least) especially since it would take more than six drives to become more efficient than RAID 1.

I'm also (going to be) running a 10-drive array, so the odds of me hitting a second failure during rebuild are a bit higher.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Buy a fifth 1.5TB drive, move everything to it, build your 4x1.5 array, move everything over to the array, and stick the fifth drive in an external enclosure. Or sell it to one of your friends.

Might not be cheapest but it seems like that would be the least-effort way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This might be obvious, but it's a lesson I recently learned the hard way: If you're going to build a RAID array, make sure you have individual activity LEDs for each drive, so that if one of them is flaky (but not enough for the RAID card to pitch a bitch) you can find which drive is murdering your array's performance.

Not in response to any recent posts; just wanted to share. :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

necrobobsledder posted:

I just wish there was a better option for 12+ drives in a box for home users besides some rackmounted monstrosity like this
A full-tower case with 4-in-3 drive cages installed will definitely be quieter, although considerably more expensive. I lucked out by finding someone on Craigslist letting a Lian-Li P80 go for cheap. Lian-Li makes some relatively inexpensive 4-in-3 hotswap cages, but the big downside to those is that they don't have individual activity lights for the drives built in.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

soj89 posted:

I didn't want to post a new thread to ask this and I figure this is the most relevant thread to ask in.

Is there a free software program you guys use to monitor the disk space on your file server? The system and the file server right now is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I know you can get the drive space to show up when you map the network shares but I don't want mount all of the shares. I've googled for windows sidebar gadgets (came up with nothing) and just programs but they're all shareware or seem a bit shady. What do you guys use?

For all of my computers I really like Treesize. The free version won't let you do network shares, I RDP into my server fairly frequently anyway so I just run Treesize locally, but if you wanted to pay money they have a version which will do network shares.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

friendship waffle posted:

I think they don't let you do TLER modification anymore.

Yeah, they changed the firmware to disallow that, I think starting in October 2009.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
You don't need a card to do eSATA - you can just buy a bracket that plugs into one of your motherboard's SATA ports.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dietcokefiend posted:

I guess I might find this out quickly through trial and error, but can I put an 8x RAID card in the 16x PCIe slot generally used for a video card? The board has integrated graphics but I dont know how it will play with the system. My board only has that one 16x slot and like 2 other 1x slots.

I don't have integrated graphics, but I do have an 8x RAID card in a 16x slot and it works fabulously.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're using WD Green drives, use WDIDLE3.EXE to disable the loving Intellipark. And WDTLER.EXE to enable TLER.

There is talk that the tools don't work with the newest drives, but they did for my WD15EADS, so YMMV.

I bought a bunch of WD15EADS back in August/September and they all ran WDTLER fine, but I bought another couple of them in December and they didn't; supposedly October was when the change occurred.

I've heard the Hitachi 2TB drives tend to play nicely in RAID environments.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

roadhead posted:

Dude, 3? I bought 12 of the fuckers (10 in the RAID-Z2 and 2 spares) - used WDIDLE to increase the timeout to 24 seconds and they've been great.

What's the advantage of the AV-GP over the regular GP drives?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyone else had a backplane go bad on them? Because I think I may have had a 4-in-3 from Lian Li go bad on me; my RAID-6 array kept kicking a couple of drives out and showing read errors from another drive in the same backplane. I moved those two problem drives to spare spots in another backplane and now the array seems to be happy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PopeOnARope posted:

Norco makes good products. It's pretty simple to figure out the documentation, and I'm not sure how people can find the build quality to be "poor". Perhaps they drive a sherman on a daily basis?

I've heard the drive sleds can be flimsy, but honestly for that price that's not a bad tradeoff in the slightest, considering the next higher level of quality will jump the price by several hundred dollars.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

movax posted:

Hmm, my writes with 8 1.5TB Seagates over CIFS only seem to peak around 70MB/s or so, and slow down from then...my CPU is also a pretty "weak" undervolted Athlon though, and the load average spikes, so maybe upgrading that could help.

Have you turned on jumbo frames on your network cards? (And/or, does your network switch support them?)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard anecdotally that Hitachi consumer drives seem to do pretty well in RAID environments even without a TLER-alike option available to modify.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bobx66 posted:

I use the 1TB Green drives in my raid, you need to disable their TLER feature which is a deep recovery mode that takes the drive offline for long enough to gently caress up your raid. In order to do that you need to boot to DOS via a boot disk and run their program on each disk to disable it.

Last I heard, WD disabled the ability to change the TLER setting on their consumer drives several months ago - did they reverse that policy?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FidgetyRat posted:

Well, since with an average giabit connection, you're looking at what, 80MB/s max? I doubt you'll even saturate a 1.5g SATA drive.

Eh, I've got a cheap Netgear 5-port gig switch, and I can slam 100+MB/s through it no problem. Part of that might be quality of NIC and/or CPU though; I notice my CPU load spiking pretty hard when I'm doing a transfer like that, so cheapass NICs might be the biggest killer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't think a USB-attached external hard drive would be too slow to stream an HD movie. Your computer currently not being able to keep up very well isn't a bottleneck at the hard drive, it's almost certainly a bottleneck at the CPU.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thermopyle posted:

So what are you guys using to backup your Windows client PCs to your server/NAS?

I asked this in the Windows Megathread, but thought maybe I'd get more response here, since it doesn't seem to be getting any traction over there.

Windows 7 built-in backup tool is fantastic with image-based incremental backups. The only problem is that only Pro or Ultimate supports backing up to a network location.

I managed to win a copy of Vista Ultimate a couple of years ago so I've gotten spoiled with being able to use Windows Backup with my server. I'll probably wind up getting Windows 7 Pro when I get around to upgrading so I can keep on using that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sizzlechest posted:

Older WDC drives had issues serious enough for Synology to make a dedicated forum just for these drives. and I found reports that they spin down frequently (yay green technology) and can be very slow. You can override this using a utility, but not while the drive is in the Synology unit. You need to connect it to another PC.

I'm not confident either drive will be guaranteed to be trouble free.

Yeah, I ran into issues with the WD 1.5TB EACS/EADS drives on my Areca RAID card. Worked great for the first few months, then the array started to become increasingly unstable with drives petulantly hanging during read or write operations. Every once in awhile I'd see a "Device Connected" event in the event log, sometimes (and sometimes not!?) prefixed by a "Device Disconnected" event. Eventually started having drives refuse to respond to the RAID controller altogether.

At risk of jinxing myself, it's been working flawlessly since I replaced the array with Hitachi 7K2000 2TB drives.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I scored a Lian-Li PC-P80 on Craigslist for half price. I love working in the case and Lian-Li sells 4-in-3 hotswap bays which have worked out pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there any reason to defrag a volume on a RAID array?