Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, that would work fine then. If a synology just use their hybridraid.

For all the praise ZFS gets in this thread, SHR seems quite nice, at least at first glance. Does it have some non-obvious Achilles heel that I'm not seeing for why it doesn't get more praise in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DrDork posted:

Price and performance of the Synology lineup is a big factor. Synology devices are a lot more expensive, especially for anything above 2 drives, while being slower than DIY solution: a DS413 is about $500 with a 1.06GHz CPU. A N54L on the other hand, runs $380 and packs a 2.2GHz CPU.
I'm more asking about SHR than Synology's products. As was posted earlier, you can run XPEnology on the thread beloved N##Ls.

Ninja Rope posted:

Also if your Synology dies you need to buy another to read the data.
I thought that under the hood it just using various Raid5/6 and mdadm could be used to recover data no sweat if a Synology died?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ninja Rope posted:

Oh, maybe I'm wrong but I think SHR is their own thing whereas the RAID0-6 are standard md.

I'd be happy for someone to correct me, but my understanding is, given the following example

is this is actually under the hood four Raid5 arrays (or three Raid5/one Raid1?), and it would be possible to get mdadm to parse it as such. SHR with 2-disk redundancy is the same but Raid6.

To be clear, I'm more asking if this is the case than telling you this is the case.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 23, 2013

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So I'm reading the N40L supports port multipliers if you flash the hacked BIOS. Has anyone added an external enclosure using the eSATA port? I'm curious how much of a negative impact might be had with those disks having to share the pipe, but it seems a great way to expand the number of disks a MicroServer has access to.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

crm posted:

I've got a 5 drive FreeNAS system using RAIDZ1 - is there any maintenance stuff I need to be doing daily/weekly/monthly to keep things running happily?

Weekly scrub tends to be the recommendation.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tivac posted:

Synology NAS boxes seem like they'd be nice but the custom filesystem & price are turning me away.
You don't have to use the custom filesystem. Also the custom filesystem is just ext4 on top of mdadm software raid anyway. It works by making multiple raid sets and concatenating them. For example with two 3TB, two 2TB, and two 1TB disks, you'll have a Raid 5 spanning all six, a Raid 5 spanning the four biggest, and a Raid 1 on the 3TBs. Presuming SHR1, anyway, with SHR2 it's the same concept but everything is Raid 6.

Also since it's basically a customized linux distribution they publish their source code modifications and people have been able to compile drivers for extra hardware and get it working on third party devices such as the MicroServer. Similar concept as the Hackintosh.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

The disk quota shows 1.3 TB are occupied, but when I go through my shared folders, only 500 GB are accounted for. 800 GB seem to be used up but don't show anywhere. How can I find out where those 800 gb are hiding?
If you connect with something like WinSCP you'll be able to see all the files in /volume1/ and not just the files you are seeing in the File Station.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Also the N54L is a Shell Shocker again, ten bucks less than last time. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Minty Swagger posted:

Does XPEnology have a good plugin system? I run a suite of apps such as sabnzbd and sickbeard and I hope its a painless process to get those going I hope? Is it pretty much identical to whatever stock synology boxes can handle?
Yes, just like stock. Add the synocommunity repo and install. I'm running sabnzbd and sickbeard on mine and it is very painless.

Minty Swagger posted:

If I run XPEnology out of the box can I install lets say a windows 7 virtual machine on it and cool stuff like that, or does XPEnology need to be installed as a virtual machine inside of some other OS to do that?
Under the hood it's just linux, and it seems pretty easy to set up a Debian chroot. No personal experience with that, though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

2. using Putty, log in to the diskstation using my admin account
Tried logging in as root instead? Same password as admin.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any reason you're not just buying an N54L?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

and not have to worry about it erasing everything on the rest of the drive? :ohdear:
What rest of the drive do you mean? Because it seems you had already moved that data to the other drives?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Greens are fine if you already have them and disable head parking. Just dont buy them in the future.

Also i dont understand what you are talking about you dont want to use JBOD. How is jbod any different then just throwing the drives in independently?

I agree. Just use wdidle3 and then you are fine doing SHR, which is software Raid5. I'd suggest doing a pretty deep health check on all of them first though.

I also don't understand why you think you would lose 10GB of crap instead of 1TB of crap when a 1TB drive dies if you aren't using any sort of redundency.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You are thinking about spanning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no striping takes place in spanning so the data on the other disks would be fine or at least easily recoverable.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

If I lose 1TB, I want to lose only that terabyte that was on the drive. I can't lose 10TB of data because one 1TB Green kicked the bucket.
That's true if you are spanning or not. They are still independent disks, the OS is just concatenating them so it appears as one uninterrupted space. But the information on the other disks is still there and safe. If is wasn't there wouldn't be any be any benefit over RAID0.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Then why does literally everything say one disk failure results in complete data loss over the entire array? :confused: Think of it this way, hypothetically - I have three 2TB drives in JBOD, containing a large 5tb file. If one drive fails, my file is gone for good. This should work in the very same sense with a lot of smaller files, because they will be spanned over the entire array, not contained to there one physical volume, no?

Again, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when you are spanning your file size is generally limited to the size that will fit on the largest disk. You wouldn't be able to store a 5tb file in the case you mean.

Likewise the small files would also be on one particular disk. Striping is Raid 0. You aren't striping when you are only spanning.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My only practical experience with spanning was with Windows Home Server, and from what I'm reading the rules that were true with how it did it may not be true for other ways spanning can be done.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ninja Rope posted:

If all the drives appear as a single giant disk to the OS, then the loss of one drive is going to lose all data on that drive. Whether or not you can recover the rest of the data is up to the filesystem and restore tools you use. You might lose it all. If they show up as independent drives then you only lose what's on one drive.

At least as far as all of the server raid controllers I've used, JBOD and spanning are the same thing. If you want all of the drives passed through to the OS, you have to create one RAID-0 array per drive.

In the case of XPenology, the OS is seeing all the disks independently and using mdadm linear to concatenate.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Geemer posted:

What if I don't have an array but just use the drives as separate volumes?

Doesn't matter, it's basically a Raid 1 array that you don't see that is mirrored on every disk.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Hmm, shouldn't I have more space on the array available than this?

Yes you should. It looks like you haven't expanded the array after adding one of the 1TB disks.

Basically, in this situation SHR should under the hood be a mdadm Raid 5 that is three partitions of 232.89, and a second that is two that are 698.62. So I would expect capacity of roughly 1164.4.

So not counting the lost space to the OS, basically the capacity of the largest disk gets taken away in parity, but the lower are available.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Don Lapre posted:

No. The primary benefit to shr is it allows expansion. He can use the extra space by setting up a second volume though.

It is not like unraid where you can maximize space with different sized drives. It's using raid 5 and 6 for shr and shr2

This is not at all correct.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 16, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DNova posted:

So it is how I thought it was after all?

Yes

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

I need to permit 192.168.0.0/16 but I can't find out where.

Control Panel -> Firewall and QoS

Shouldn't be denying it if there isn't already a rule there denying it, though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Tossed a 3rd 3tb red into my xpenology box. Expanding takes forever... Can anyone explain to me what would happen if I actually lost a drive? I don't have downtime, right? It gracefully fails and says "degraded" or something and then I can just add another drive and expand it again?

Exactly that. Except when you add the replacement drive it would say repair instead of expand.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Megaman posted:

Synology is proprietary which means the following. Since the Synology formatted disks only work with Synology devices and ONLY the same exact synology model you purchased and ONLY with the configuration from that particular device (granted you backed it up before the time of crash), if something happens with the synology you're completely hosed unless all your ducks are in a row (you have the exact device/config/disks standing by).

It's actually just mdadm under the hood, and the raid can be put back together under plenty of other linux systems. Pretty sure also isn't correct that you can't just move your disks to a new different model Synology and it will also find and recognize the volume.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What problems have you had with Xpenology? I love it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Is Xpenology not recommended anymore? I'm feeling the need to switch, but I'm not sure why :smith:

It's actually even better than it used to be. Feels a lot less hacky in terms of hardware support.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

A home-built Xpenology server, then use SynoCommunity - Link!

Literally a one-click install.

And again the N54L is brilliant for this

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

lowcrabdiet posted:

Amazon has the Synology DS1515+ for $687.99, regularly ~$800. It's a 5-bay Intel Atom quad core unit, capable of running Plex. I've been waiting for a deal like this for a Synology box -- the super easy UI is worth the premium to me, especially at this price.
I guess you already bought, but my N54L + XPenology is great at running Plex.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

n0n0 posted:

I'm seeing scattered reports on the internet indicating that certain SATA 3.0 drives don't like wdidle3, but they're scattered and inconsistent. Regardless, the drives I want to do this with are a couple of years old.

Yeah, should work, just remember that "raid isn't backup" is especially important to remember with old drives not meant for this even if you do disable head parking.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone have any experience backing their NAS up to Amazon Cloud? I'm not re-subbing to Backblaze, so I need to get another backup solution sorted. I've even found some people who have their ACD mounted to a VPS they are using as a Plex server as well as running Sonarr/etc/etc. So far it all seems to be a level of "figure it out yourself" beyond my ability and the closest things I can find to guides are old.

So I would be happy at the moment just getting everything backed up, but Amazon's own program is slow and buggy, as is apparently the Cloud Sync program on the synology.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CopperHound posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to build my own raid/home server or just buy a Synology (and nuc if it turns out that it doesn't have enough horsepower). I like the idea of SHR, but that can just manually be recreated with LVM, right? I think I would enjoy tinkering with the initial setup, but I know I don't want to stress about trying to remember the proper CLI commands when swapping out a failed drive.

I thought I was set on prebuilt, but these last few chassis posted catch my tinkering interest. I just don't want to force myself into computer janitor duties.

Rolling your own XPenology box is also an option. Speaking of....

I've been running XPenology for years on an HP N54L, and I'm about to wipe it, install 6 newly shucked HGST 8TB drives, and most likely going with a XPenology 6.2. I had been at 5.0 for a long time, and one of the new features is btrfs. I remember this thread being the ZFS fan thread, and I've seen btrfs compared to it, how does it hold up? Can you do any sort of scrub with btrfs?

Open to arguments that I should really consider something else, but I don't know why I would pay for unraid, and FreeNAS I remember scrapping 10 in a way that made me think it was a project I'd not entrust my data to.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CopperHound posted:

Synology doesn't use the btrfs raid implementation.

I don't know what that actually means with regards to what benefits you actually get from btrfs.

Viktor posted:

Synology disables copy on write and checksum features on shares unless you use it.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_share_create
Thanks, this is very relevant information for me before I pull the trigger.

Edit: Not sure what link you meant to share, Viktor, since the one you did share doesn't seem relevant unless I missed something, but according to https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs "The metadata mirroring and checksum features are enabled by default on all Btrfs volumes. For files, the copy-on-write and checksum features are enabled by default, but can be switched off for best performance."

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2018

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Viktor posted:

That btrfs page is incorrect then.
Ah, I see. I think. Actually I don't, because I don't know why it would be enabled or disabled when making a Share as opposed to making a Volume?

I found some more info about their implementation on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/btrfs/comments/9d0j6w/synologys_solution_for_btrfs_on_linux_raid_open/

I'm still a bit confused, but I think I'm going to go with it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Cool Matty posted:

I guess. To chime in to the discussion you all seemed to be in the middle of, is there a good Linux NAS package? I was hoping to have something that would just manage itself (health checks, web UI, the usual NAS stuff) rather than just setting up my own Linux install and shares.
XPenology sort of fits this description

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How hard is it to get hardware transcoding working in plex if plex is in a docker? I would need to find a low profile GPU I think too, but I would love to add something like this to my N54L.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah my cpu is a 2.2Ghz AMD dual core that can't be trusted to transcode 720p. I'm not finding enough (any) people who have accomplished this in my exact situation, so I might just buy a Shield if I find a good black friday deal instead of trying to find a cheap low profile GPU that will both work in XPenology and Docker Plex.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sheep posted:

Unfortunately at this point that Turion processor and the 8GB RAM max (among other things with the BIOS) are really holding it back but it'd still make a solid fileserver if you aren't doing anything demanding with the processor.

If you are talking about the N54L (I think you are) it supports 16GB RAM if you buy the right sticks. Mine is still running strong with 16GB.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey so when should I not even give a poo poo about ECC ram in a consumer grade NAS and when I should I?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Well obviously anything important I'd be able to replace because I don't confuse having a NAS with having a backup.

I do have parts I could reuse like a 2500k but I would need to pickup a mATX mobo, and for the cost of that from what I've seen I should probably just go new parts.

Still very confused from the recent posts in this thread if a Ryzen 3600 actually works with ECC with the mentioned ASRock Rack mobo, but maybe either way it's added unnecessary cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I've been using XPenology for years with no real issues. You do have to be careful and follow the forums to make sure you can update to a new version with no gotchas, but I don't think saying you stay years behind is correct.