Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone used a P55 board for a file server in a production environment?

I'm thinking about moving a chunk of files off an application server (the disk i/o from these files getting accessed is causing issues with this application, I believe).

About 150gb of data.
About 75 users.

Was thinking about having 1 WD Black drive for the OS, then 4 drives in Raid 10 for the actual files.

Still unsure on drives, I would prefer some WD RE drives, but 4 Velociraptors may work better.

Any thoughts/opinions? Rather avoid buying an expensive Raid card...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

Recipe for disaster.

Yea that's what was lingering in the back of my mind...I just couldn't bring myself to say it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get a copy of NexentaStor, the free trial one that's good to 12TB used. Plop two 100GB SSDs in the fucker as a L2ARC and watch the numbers fly. With modern hardware and an Intel Gigabit NIC, you can probably push 20k IOPS and ~90MB/sec through it easily.

Never heard of NexentaStor before, but it looks interesting. Will do some investigating. Thanks

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've been looking for something similar for ages. I've looked at the ReadyNAS Ultras, the Drobos, and the OWC stuff, and still can't decide. Unfortunately most of the people in this thread go the cheaper route and just build file servers, so there aren't many impressions on consumer/soho-grade NASes. A few in here can speak for Synology and QNAP units, but that seems to be about it.

At my work we have been using one of these for a year or two, has been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102026&Tpk=N4100PRO

We also picked up one of these about a month ago and seems really nice so far (minus first one coming DOA due to poo poo firmware).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107023&Tpk=qnap%20ts-809u-rp

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Questions for you storage gurus.

I'll be building a file server for a friend (home use). After talking to him, we are looking for something that is redundant to cover failure of a hdd and easily expandable in the future.

At first I was debating between a little Atom build with raid card, 3x2tb HDD for the storage array (Raid 5), then Windows 7 for front end. Windows 7 is preferred because he is not familiar with linux at all. (OpenIndiana looks awesome, but I don't want to leave him with a linux box)

Another thought was similar build, but using a cheap AMD cpu/mobo, and using the onboard sata for the array.

Last question comes down to drives. Suggestions for 2tb drives for a home use array? I dislike the whole TLER issue with the WD drives, and the RE drives are out of the price range.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Off the shelf isn't as fun as building something, but seems like a better recommendation so I will not be lifetime tech support for this.

DS411J looks like a good solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108066

Looks like I can also expand the array on the fly by inserting larger disks. Has anyone tried that before? So if I start with a 4tb (3x2tb) raid 5 array, I can add a 4th 2tb disk to increase the size to 6tb on the fly? What about down the road, replacing those 2tb drives with 3tb drives one by one?

This seems like a phenomenal solution.

Edit:

Pulling the trigger on this, going to start with 3x2tb WD Green drives and see how it works. I'll post back with updates if anyone is interested (could do some speed tests too).

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 27, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Telex posted:

The seagates are 80 bucks each at amazon too so if you have Prime, free ship.

They're not bad drives at all from what I can tell, they avoid the 4k sector issue and as soon as I can buy 5 more I'll have purged the 4k sector nonsense from my system and I can figure out something else to do with 12TB worth of that "advanced format" bullshit that doesn't involve a raid.

Which Seagate drives are you referring to? I assume this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

Would that be a better choice for inside a DS411j over the WD20-EARS? EARS are on the compatibility list.

Moey fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Roving Reporter posted:

Can anyone recommend some solid backup software, paid or otherwise?

Not in need of an entire system image, so that's optional. I just have a bunch of files in folders, both on my main HD and backups on a 2TB external. Looking for something that will go in and either

A)do another entire backup on a set schedule or
B)sync & add whatever changed files there are, sort of like Dropbox.

Many different options out there.

Look into Robocopy for something easy and free.

If you want a nice little GUI (also costs $30), look into Second Copy

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Going to cross-post this from the Enterprise storage thread (I know many of you in here are running some really beefy systems at home, and my setup is at the lowest possible end of enterprise).

So has/is anyone here working with a Qnap TS-809-RP?

My work recently got 4 of these (2 at each site), and I'm starting to wonder on the actual performance we are getting out of them. I didn't do much setup on them (was done by my boss), so never sat down and got any good data from the start.

We were in the process of getting a ESX backup software setup yesterday, and performance between the two boxes seemed extremely sub-par. Ran some tests with IOMeter, and I'm trying to figure out if the NAS is to blame, or if something is misconfigured.

When running a Max Throughput test (50% Read), its showing read and write IOps a little below 1400. Both read and write speeds are between 40-43 MBps.

When running a Real life test (60% Random 65% Read), its showing 105 IOps Read and 56 IOps write (on one NAS), and 70 IOps read and 37 IOps write (on the second NAS). read MBps was between .8-.5 and write was between .4-.3

Our arrays are running 8x1tb Sata 7200rpm disks, Raid5.

Any input on this? Is this what I should expect with a low end unit, or is something messed up?

EDIT:

Just noticed they released a new firmware 3 weeks ago, going to upgrade to that tomorrow and see if anything changes. Something has to be going terribly wrong.

EDIT:

Updated FW today, same terrible results...no fun.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 9, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

atomicthumbs posted:

What's the current consensus on the best deal in NAS boxes? I'm looking for something for less than $600 in total (so hopefully it'd come with hard drives, or be fairly cheap without). I'd be using it for backing up old family photos, some documents, and 750mb slide scans, so something fairly reliable would be good.

How much total storage are you looking for? Synology seems to be what everyone on here is going with for simple storage. They have a few different models depending on what you need. Take a look at the DS211j and the DS411j.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

My boss got me one of these, seems to work well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

Quoting myself just in case anyone else is interested in this project and wants me to write it up. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two Qnap TS-809U-RP 2U units, one at our office and the other at our CoLo, loaded up with 3TB drives and will be mainly using it as an iSCSI target for our new backup environment as well as lower tier storage and moving our lightly used FTP server off old hardware. I'm switching from Backup Exec and a single LTO3 drive to Microsoft DPM 2010 and this replicated NAS setup, which should be interesting.

Do we have a backup megathread? Seems like we should.

What kind of performance are you getting out of the 809U-RP (and what firmware are you currently running)? I have been pretty displeased with ours (we have 4). For big slow file storage, they seem to work fine. But any kind of read that isn't sequential was terribly slow.

Care to share some IO Meter data? All of ours are using 1tb Seagate Constellation ES drives.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

I don't have ours quite yet (getting ready to order after getting the preliminary green light). I'm not sure I'm terribly concerned with performance for our purposes and was probably going to just RAID6 all 8 drives, but I can certainly test it all out while I'm setting them up and burning them in.

What kind of numbers are you seeing and how are they set up (RAID, # disks, network)?

I'll post some stats when I am at work tomorrow (or run some new ones if you have some specific things you want me to test), but they were pretty poor when doing anything that was more random than sequential. 8 disks, tested with both Raid 5 and Raid 10. Also tried about 4 different firmwares.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just ran one quick test (100% read)

Made a shared folder on the NAS, mapped a drive on the test machine to the shared folder. The NAS is running 8 disks (which I specified a few posts back) in a Raid 5 array. There is currently no data on the array. Nothing else is accessing the NAS. It's connected to the test machine on it's own subnet.

Test setup:

Result:

Pretty poor. This is currently running the newest firmware. Have tested with each of the last 3 firmwares, results are around the same. When I did more of a blended test (random reads/writes), throughput dropped to around 2mbps, and like 1.5 over iSCSI. Also setup the 8 drives in Raid 10, performance was pretty much identical to Raid 5.

If you want me to test anything specifically, let me know. I have no problem breaking/rebuilding the array, updating firmware or just kicking it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

Moey, if you're still around I'd be interested in comparing some more notes on these Qnap 809U's. I did go ahead and buy them, because I figured if most people were getting results like yours their forums and the internet would have exploded with rage by now.

Still around, sorry I didn't get back with more numbers as planned (the specific NAS I was testing on, was thrown into production hosting scans). Once I get into the office tomorrow, I will figure out if I still have one to test on, or if I have to relocate that scan directory. Since you are getting good results, it makes me want to make mine get some good performance (like yours). Thanks for the update, it gives me hope with these.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Cavepimp, my testing will have to wait a little bit since they are all in production currently, but I will free one up shortly. I would love to get some performance like you are.

Question for the thread:

Is there a default goto case for building a NAS? Ideally I would like something tiny, 4-6 drive bays, hot swappable would be a big plus (not really needed though), and not insanely expensive.

I found this little Chenbro guy, but it is pretty pricy, and the proprietary power supply worries me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123128

Any suggestions oh wise packrats?

Edit:

This guy looks pretty nice too (Lian Li PC-Q08

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 26, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Haha, I didn't even notice that was you who wrote that review. That Lian Li seems to be on the top of my list currently. I wish it had front hot swap bays like the Chenbro, but I guess I can't have it all :(

What are you leaning towards software wise? At first I was looking at OpenIndiana, but now am leaning towards FreeNAS. I'm looking to setup either a RAID 5 or maybe ZFS. I mostly going to be storing audio/video and random file backup. Performance won't be a huge issue, but I would like to not have to worry about issues while trying to stream multiple 1080p videos. I currently have 1 WD 2tb EARS, so I would ideally like to keep expanding on those, but am very open to suggestions! (Same with suggestions for CPU!)

Moey fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 27, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factory Factory posted:

Advice

Currently I just have one machine that is being used as an HTPC and also file storage. What I would like to have is a standalone NAS and a standalone HTPC, then that machine I am currently using will be setup with ESXi to host all the random VMs that I dream about.

As for migrating the data, I would be fine with buying 3 new drives, building an array, transfering the data from the existing drive, then expanding the array with the stand alone drive (risky?). I just need to figure out what the hell to use for the OS and arrays. Would I be better off grabbing a Dell PERC5/i card off ebay? From my reading, I would have to do some modifications so the thing doesn't overheat, but if it is going to get me better performance on the array, I figure it would be worth it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That x8 Intel card looks fancy. After reading this review, I assume speed wise I would be fine? All this poo poo is still confusing to me.

quote:

I have this in a simple JBOD configuration in a PCI-E x8 slot. I'm using it with FreeBSD and I have 6 1.5 TB drives in a RAID-Z configuration via ZFS. Simply put.... ZFS rocks and this card can write a stream at 335MB/sec to the drive volume. It can read a stream at over 500 MB/sec to the drive volume. This is exactly what I wanted. This is a rebadged LSI card and I found that it used the FreeBSD LSI module with no issue. This is a bare card, expect nothing else.

Edit:

If I am just using that card for JBOD and my OS will be handling the array, is there a need for the card, or can I just use the onboard sata chipset? So confused....

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 27, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I'll have to figure out how many disks I am going to go with. I figure 4 disks would be plenty of storage for me. I was reading this article and this guy was testing expanding arrays with virtual disks, I think I'll do some testing with that before I go live.

http://rskjetlein.blogspot.com/2009/08/expanding-zfs-pool.html

Also what other hardware should I be looking at, any CPU/amount of memory recommendations? Do I want/need a disk for cache?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I've currently got 16 disks so I'm looking for something that can hold that much + more. Physical size isn't a big concern, but the cheaper, the better...

Are you looking for rack mount? If not you will probably be in for some modification on a a huge case. How many drives would you like to be able to expand to? And out of curiosity, what are you currently using now for 16 disks?

24 drive rack mount
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I remember seeing that a while back. Here is somewhat of a more polished version.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

I honestly don't think you are going to get much bigger that what you have without using some type of expansion bays, going something rackmount or custom building. Who knows though?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I'm pretty handy. I'll think about modding my case or building something from scratch...

If you go the building route, make sure to document it with some pictures, I know I would be interested in seeing it all (probably a few others too).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd be shocked if there's a home ISP that allows port 80, a lot of them blocked it back in the day due to the Code Red virus and never really liked having it open due to people running random webservers.

My ISP has it open, currently hosting two sites. (ISP is Wide Open West)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am doing some testing right now with FreeNAS 8. If all goes well, I'm planning on using that behind my NAS. Currently I'm just testing with a VM and virtual disks. I created a 1gb disk for the OS install, and then 6 2gb disks to play around with currently.

I am hitting a problem when creating a volume, it doesn't seem to complete. First volume I try to make is a 3 disk volume, ZFS, Raid-Z.

Once I create that, I go to the volume to actually view it, this is what I get.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factory Factory posted:

What happens if you build it from the command line, e.g. zpool create Volume1 da1 da2 da3?

Created it without errors, not seeing it in the GUI at all though.

Edit:

Just found this setting, it was set to 2gb (which could be a problem since I only made my virtual disks 2gb, so I dropped the value to 1. Still no luck.

Edit 2:

So from cli I am now doing "zpool status -v" and it comes back with no pools available

So it seems that it actually didn't make that pool, so I try and create a different one using the same disks, and its telling me that da1 is part of potentially active pool "testraidz". Hrm, I need to really figure out what I am doing with this before I roll it onto real hardware.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 29, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yea, I'm not sure what ended up happening but now the CLI is not even recognizing the zfs command. Rebuilding the VM now, will bump up the size of the virtual disks, and I am going to take a base snapshot so if (once) I break it again, I won't have to actually re-install.

Update:

Re-installed FreeNAS, bumped all my disks to 8gb, created a volume with 3 disks, worked great.

Thanks for the help everyone, now time to monkey around with this.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Viktor posted:

Backblaze

This. If I ever had a home need for that much storage, I would be building something similar.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tornhelm posted:

Or if you're bored, a few Australians have got it upto 19TB (5x3TB, 4x1TB and a system + cache drive) all in that tiny case.

That is bad rear end. Got a link?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Newegg has the HP Proliant Microserver and a DVD burner on sale for $290. Very tempting for the FreeNAS box I have been planning. Now I need to decide if I should pull the trigger on this, or wait and have FreeNAS as a VM in the ESXi box that I am currently piecing together.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3126308

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PopeOnARope posted:

Or even bad cabling.

My wireless performance went from 5MB/s to 11MB/s after I rewired my network, and wired went from 78MB/s to 110MB/s. All from replacing one cable to the media server, really.

Was this a cable that was poorly crimped or possibly just bent too many times where it was dropping packets?

You say your increase came from when you replaced the cable to the media server. Was that increase only to the media server, or was that from a different device on the network to something other than the media server?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

frogbs posted:

I agree. It's for my employer, so I think it'd make sense to just pay the extra $100 or so.

How much actual storage do you need? You mentioned 12tb, that is only a 4 bay unit, so 12tb is before any formatting/redundancy.

Is this just for archival, or are users going to be working from this as well?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

frogbs posted:

Someone will be working from this as well as storing old footage. I figure that we'd use Raid 5 and thus get around 9tb from an initial 12tb of disks. 8tb to 6tb after Raid 5 would also be sufficient for now as well.

As well as what others said, are you doing off site backup and storage of this? If this is for a TV station, the array failing and losing data may be devastating. Also depending on what kind of work they are doing, I wonder the performance out of that enclosure, and if it will have a negative impact on their work (video editing?).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lian-Li has just announced an awesome-looking little case, the PC-Q25.

This thing looks awesome, I absolutely want one. Hopefully it is not insanely expensive.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=584&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64&g=f

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rusty Kettle posted:

I have only looked at a few company's products. If I don't get a response from this thread, I will most likely go with either the qnap-ts-879 or a Buffalo Terastation Pro 8.

At work we have 4 QNAP TS-809U-RP. For lower tiered large slow storage, they have been working great. We originally grabbed a few to use for VMWare storage using iSCSI, but were not getting good enough performance out of them for what we wanted (someone else on this forum has the same ones and is getting much better performance, could be a misconfiguration on my end). As for reliability, have not really had any problems. About a month ago I noticed one of the arrays (8x1tb Raid 5) had dropped a disk. The system was showing that there was no disk in there. Swapped the disk, array rebuilt fine, everything was good. No downtime from the system. I ran a few tests on the disk that dropped and it seemed fine. Decided to throw it back into the array (in the same bay that it was reporting dead in), came back online fine, rebuilt the array, still chugging.

As with anything important, use multiple backups. For some cheap, non I/O intensive storage, I really cannot complain.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

:psyduck:

Is that a thing? Is that a thing people do?

When I asked you about your testlab setup, this is one of the big things I am pondering on. I have a settled ESXi box, but am now looking to build a a storage box, either VM or physical. VM saves me on the moola per hardware, but the headache/management/performance of the VM scares me.

ninja edit, I'm an idiot, it was corvettefisher I was discussing this with.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
drat, the N40L is on sale for $200 at MacMall. I may have to grab one for a file server now, then get drives once they come back down to normal.

http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Desktop-Servers/product~dpno~8887013~pdp.gjbdfih

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

The way I finally got around it was moving to ESXi so that if my storage VM crashes, I can use the vSphere Client to console it. Of course, if ESXi crashes...

How are you doing this?

I was thinking about setting up a virtualized FreeNas box for home use and directly passing the disks to the VM. I'm trying to reduce physical boxes at home.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
QNAP makes an 10 bay unit (also 12 bay, but rack mount only).

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=200

We just got one of those at work to do some testing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

movax posted:

Oh yeah, it's certainly much more work for an enterprise/business. As a home user though, I can tolerate downtime if I wish, and I have a very simple filesystem hierarchy / user-access system set up. My NAS does what I need it to do: a 20TB+ block of storage that anything that speaks SMB, NFS, FTP or SCP can access. The block also happens to be able to tolerate several mechanical drive failures. Perfect for the home.

What kind of setup are you running at home?