Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands, hoping y'all can help out :-)

I'm going to spend this summer traveling around with a touring music act, generating roughly 20GB of performance data per gig ~500GB/Mo. We tour for roughly 2 months at a time before getting back to home base, so I'm wondering how I keep my data safe on the road?

Here are my limitations.
1. It's a loving bus, that means no constant power and no fixed location. We have power 80% of the time, but there will be days when the bus is without juice.
2. No fixed space, I need to be able to cary this around in a backpack, or stow it under the bus as needed.
3. Durable. I'm gentle with my tech, but it's still rock n' roll, so it's gotta be able to stand up to the road.
4. No access, we have wifi on the bus, but it's 30 people sharing a single USB 3G modem, so I can't backup over the net.

I'm hoping there's some hardware option out there that's going to cheaply give me very high reliability assurances, but I imagine it's probably easiest to mail drives back home regularly? Any and all input appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I've had two drobos for years now and I love them to death, but I need something else. The drobos are great for my large 5+TB media library, but for my personal photos and documents, I don't need that much space. My storage needs will always easily be covered by a single drive, so I'm looking for a 2 drive, NAS that's as easy as the drobos, and dead reliable. Synology is the other name that gets thrown around?

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Somebody mentioned this in the Mac Hardware thread so I come in here to ask... Do 3TB drives have any reliability issues?

They are newer than smaller drives using newer technology and are inherently more delicate and susceptible to failure and damage. But why would you buy a 3TB drive when you can get two 2TB drives for less money? Check back a few pages for the newegg memorial day sale codes

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Thought I'd stop in and say something after spending all week playing with hard drives.

For my birthday in July of 2007, my dad bought me the very first generation drobo. I took the mini back to college with me, and plugged it into the mac mini in my living room. Over the years, I filled it up with a fairly large library of movies ripped from DVDs and then an even larger library of Blueray rips, and my fellow housemates and I have used it as a wireless time machine destination for 4 laptops. We came within 200gb of the maximum storage of the device the weekend before last, and I used some of the money I made over the summer to buy a drobo fs and each of my housemates bought a drive.

I set everything up sunday and started transferring data. The new drobo is sitting in a closet in my basement, wired directly to the router, instead of plugged in under our TV. The data transfer finished this morning, I did some check's to make sure the transfer was good and everything's been working great across the network: time machine backups, mini is a plea server, etc.

I know some people have experienced data loss with drobos, and they are a little pricey, but in my experience, it's been a champion. It survived 2 unintended drive failures and 8 intentional when I upgraded drives.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Dream Product: 2x 2.5" hard drive enclosure, RAID 0/1/JBOD, USB 2/3 connection, wifi modem, internal battery (4-5hrs w/ wifi).

I travel a lot, and generate a fair amount of content. Enough that it can easily sync over wifi, but too much to sync over a cellular network. My data is important to me, critical even, I want it mirrored on two drives (ssd's ideally but that's for another thread) while I'm traveling, and then when I do get fast internet, I want to sync the external with the cloud. Why can't someone intelligent make this? I'd settle for 40% of apple caliber. - Right now, everything I see is crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

The internal battery would probably double the cost of the unit. That's why.

Segate makes a single drive with a wifi chip that's designed for streaming content to iOS devices, doesn't look like the battery makes it prohibitively expensive. If Apple made this product, I'd gladly pay 400 for it, before the price of drives. I know this is expensive, but this isn't a hobby, I'm a professional and I have a budget.

Devian666 posted:

Usually the main negative on those laptops (besides the obvious) is that they tend to be heavy, which is an issue if you are taking it everywhere. Other than that the comedy option may be possible.

Right, this gets me nothing over what I'm already using. (2x 1TB western digital passport drives). I want something that's going to make it easier for me than my current situation, and isn't going to take up a tone of room. Space is at a premium on the bus.