Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

A combination of slow internet and transitioning to Ultrabooks has me wondering if there is a way to set up a NAS as a seamless cache or mirror for cloud storage (let's say OneDrive in this instance, but I'd probably also like to cache steam downloads also).

I'm not afraid of some initial setup, but I can't think of a solution that wouldn't involve constant computer janitoring when transitioning between local and remote networks. Also I don't trust myself to keep a NAS secure enough to leave external ports open for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Some ISPs that are not Comcast or ATT will do stuff if you just ask. If you can reach techs over the phone without going through layers of gatekeepers it is a good sign that they can and will help.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to build my own raid/home server or just buy a Synology (and nuc if it turns out that it doesn't have enough horsepower). I like the idea of SHR, but that can just manually be recreated with LVM, right? I think I would enjoy tinkering with the initial setup, but I know I don't want to stress about trying to remember the proper CLI commands when swapping out a failed drive.

I thought I was set on prebuilt, but these last few chassis posted catch my tinkering interest. I just don't want to force myself into computer janitor duties.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Synology doesn't use the btrfs raid implementation.

I don't know what that actually means with regards to what benefits you actually get from btrfs.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tivac posted:

Heard enough good things about QNAP to make me second-guess myself though :(
Does QNAP support growing an array with mismatched drives yet? That seems like it could be an important consideration for a consumer NAS.

Moey posted:

The 8tb ones were just down to $130, every few weeks they seem to dip to 160 ish. The 10tb were also at 180 or 190 recently as well.
My Book drives hold pretty steady at $160 from B&H and they don't collect sales tax from California. I am using one that I haven't shucked (yet). Is there any reason to pick easystore over my Book?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

We must be close to NAS vendors making shallow-depth rackmount boxes with just 2.5" SATA bays in to be used with SSDs, surely? One of Qnap's billion models is the TS-977 series which is getting there, but it would be great if there were no 3.5" bays and the 2.5" ones were accessible from the front.
I don't know about shallow depth or consumer availability, but in data centers I have seen plenty of 2U enclosures loaded with 2.5" drives all the way across.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The chassis definitely exist. I'm surprised no NAS vendor has slapped their own logo on one.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Description says display port, picture says VGA. Which is it?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

It has the needed esata port, I assume it will "just work" as there is nothing on the DS218+ product page that says it cannot and the DX517 explicitly says it will work. Is there a reason you aren't going with a 5ish bay unit all up front? Not enough cash on hand?
Is this a deviation from the synology naming scheme of XYY where X is the max supported drives with expansion units and YY is the release year?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Pardot posted:

I just got a 1019+ which has 5 drives not 10.

DS1019+ posted:

Up to 10 drives with one DX517
and

DS1819+ posted:

Up to 18 drives with two DX517

As far as I can tell, DS218+ can use esata for an external drive but you cant span your volume to it.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...Expansion_Units

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, I decided to do a foolish thing and build my own NAS and I want a quick reality check:
I want to use a NSC-810a case. Is a X11SSM-F pretty much my best motherboard option? I don't see a lot of other mATX boards with 8 sata ports.
My only hang-up is that I don't think I need ecc memory and that motherboard can only handle up to 7th gen processors. It would not be holding anything mission critical and I don't have plans to use ZFS. The main use would likely be for Plex media and other bulk storage.

E: oh and keeping the cost down where reasonable would be nice too.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right now I would say go with some flavor of the X11SCH (-F, -LN4F, etc). It's basically the same board but updated for 8th-gen CPUs. Supermicro said they'll be releasing 9th gen support later this year which means you can use an i3-9300/9300F/9350KF and get both ECC support, a real quad-core, and the higher turbo clocks on 9th gen.
Just to be clear, do you mean x11sch will be getting a bios update to support 9th gen CPUs? I think I'd really like a 4 core i3 vs paying for Xeon with quicksync.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just ordered the 810a chassis & PSU. I think I still need to weigh the cost of server grade boards vs consumer stuff before ordering the rest of the components. The X11SCH looks like it runs ~$200 more than a consumer board plus HBA adapter. While IPMI would be nice, I don't think I would mind physically plugging in a monitor with the initial setup.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some tips on this build: you will need an 8-pin EPS power (CPU aux power) extension cable and a 24-pin ATX extension cable to make it work....
...The case doesn't come with a riser cable. The official one is too long and you will have to do something with the excess slack, for me it is bunched up where the second card would go. If I wanted to do a second card I would have to swap out for shorter cables.
Ugh, of course. I ordered the PSU and riser cables from them with the assumption that it would reduce the amount of monkeying around I'd have to do.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some tips on this build: you will need an 8-pin EPS power (CPU aux power) extension cable and a 24-pin ATX extension cable to make it work. They're cheap on ebay but you'll have to deal with the slowboat from china, so get it on order. I've emailed U-NAS support to mention this and ask them to put it on the page but they said "it depends on the PSU" which is total BS.
The case arrived with their PSU preinstalled. It came with a 24 pin ATX & 4 pin EPS cable that are almost the perfect length to route along the front of the case. Too bad their are no cable tie down points there. The back plane was also wired up with two different length molex splitters.

Also, the screws holding the case together suck.

Eletriarnation posted:

but you could get Ivy Bridge pretty cheap at this point; an X9SCM with a Xeon E3-1220 v2 will go for under $100. Conveniently, ECC DDR3 is also getting very inexpensive by now. Is there a reason you want a new platform other than reliability concerns?
I did end up getting this board and trying to get everything set up, but I'm running into one hangup: I don't actually have a monitor that accepts an analog signal and of course the IPMI password is not the default :v:

I also have to figure out my riser cable situation... I ended up with 16x riser cables and 8x slots. I guess I'll try cutting one of these cables instead of the slot itself.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, after a night of sleep a realized I was typing admin/admin instead of ADMIN/ADMIN for IPMI and I am logged in :kiddo:
Now I just need to deal with running Java in an age where computers try not to let you do horribly insecure things.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I got my u-nas 810a case up and running. It turns out my use case involves a bit more that just bulk storage:

I have a lot to learn, but I think I really like unraid. I don't think I would trust it for anything mission critical and it doesn't have the performance of a striped array, but the JBOD implementation pretty much lets me throw whatever hardware I have at it. I can tell it not to split sub-directories across drives, so I should be able to recover stuff off of individual drives if I need to pull them out of the array to read. Adding a cache drive has helped write performance a lot. The SSD does not have any parity, but in my case I can tolerate that risk until the mover process has a chance to run.

e: I do hate how unraid's licensing is tied to physical USB sticks.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 27, 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

THF13 posted:

You can add a second cache disk and it will default to a mirrored pair.
I might have to see if I can mount a second internal drive in this case.... Or find a 512gb SATA DOM that isn't $$$$$$$$.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

$200 seems like a great price *if* it matches your needs. My main concern would be if you are okay with working with 2.5" drives and if you are okay with how loud the fans would howl when dealing with 2x130w CPU load in a 1u form factor.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

On the noise topic: My U-NAS 810a case is at a tolerable noise level with the case open, but the vent design over the 70mm fan makes it significantly louder with the cover on. I'm thinking about cutting the case and bolting on a wire fan grille, but I'm not sure how much it will help or if I can make clean cuts on sheet metal without leaving jagged edges.

Any advice for making some clean finished cuts without special tin knocker tools and skills, or whether or not this is even a good idea?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The data isn't irreplaceable or anything.

Rube Goldberg together one giant JBOD array spanned over all three!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Axe-man posted:

The DS218+ can't do expansion bays. You can tell cause it just has 2 which is the max drives. If you had the DS718+ it could accept expansion bays (2+5).
https://www.synology.c/en-us/products/DS218+#specs
Verus:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS718+#specs
Sort of... You can use it with ds218+, but it has to be a separate volume: https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...Expansion_Units

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

One real downfall of a VPN setup is getting your wife, dad, little sister, best friend, to correctly configure their client side.

People who set this stuff up all the time have a very hard time groking the hurdle this is.
Fun trying to explain manual routing entries when their network happens to use the same subnet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nerox posted:

Thread Update: This was a terrible idea, my sabnzbd queue is at like 4tb right now. :stare:
I tried putting ombi on my unraid box and I could not get it to play nice with my radar, sonar, and Plex Dockers. It seemed super inconsistent when adding downloads or syncing content that has been added to my library. Maybe I'll give it another try when I feel like adding some more frustration to my life.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

Scotch tape works okay, but generally you'd want to be using kapton tape for taping pins.

I don't know how it compares to kapton tape, but I have a bunch of this stuff from taping up bike wheels, and a small sliver of it works great for making off the 3.3v pins. It also doesn't leave behind residue.

https://www.amazon.com/72-Yds-Coating-Masking-Temperature/dp/B00CKGIBYE

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

And if you want something DIY that'll also, unlike most other options, protect your data from silent data-corruption, there's FreeNAS.
That is great but I really like being able to grow my array one drive at a time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm a little surprised to not see one of these on your wall:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

The 8TB WD Elements, EasyStore, and MyBooks are all shuckable alike, correct? I just noticed I have three type of drives.
MyBook has a terrible implementation of drive encryption. It is shuckable, but not if you need to retain the data on the drive.

E: I guess technically you can mount the encrypted drive with extra steps. https://github.com/themaddoctor/linux-mybook-tools

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 4, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Oh wow, what does that mean exactly? As far as I know I don't have any encryption enabled. Is that only something I need to worry about if I use BitLocker or something?
My book drives have hardware encryption by default. If you format the drive when you plug it in it will behave just like any other drive. Otherwise you will not be able to directly read the drive without the enclosure unless you do some of the stuff mentioned in the above link.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Today I encountered a problem that I never thought to hard about until today. Power went out at home and I'm out of town with an urge to watch my Plex backlog. What are ways to bring my system back online after it has been shutdown by a UPS after line power comes back?

I guess I should specify "system" is referring to unraid as opposed to a nas appliance.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

If the system is that important, needs a UPS and graceful shutdowns, a motherboard with out-of-band management is the right answer
I am both not smart enough or stupid enough to set up my IPMI for remote access.

nerox posted:

I've never really looked into how wake on lan works, but I am sure you could get a raspberry pi that is set up to ping your NAS, if it doesn't get a response, it issues a wake on lan command. Then just have it check the NAS status every so often. Would that work for an automatic NAS booter?
While this seems a little Rube Goldberg-ey it might be the best solution. I could even add a delay to give the ups time to recharge.

I guess my next hobby project can involve learning how to write shell scripts. Most shell scripts I've looked at are about as readable as Perl, so I'm open to other scripting solutions... Like Scratch :v:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ErIog posted:

The thing I'm most worried about is the unit itself dying and being SOL.
You should be able to read the drives if you load them all up in a pc: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

I think a non striped solution might be be more forgiving when it comes to recovery, but I have no idea what your back up plans are for your non-critical archives.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DrDork posted:

Unraid you still have to deal with a base OS
Since when is a web UI considered a base os?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

Hint for obtaining higher Wife Acceptance Factor: Explain all changes insofar as they impact Plex usage positively. For example, more ram will mean smoother Plex, more storage will mean more Plex content/downloads won't stop because storage has run out.
Week one:
"What are you doing with all this crazy computer stuff? Why do you need multiple hard drives?"

Week four:
"Hey, I wasn't able to watch the last episode of 'the good place'. Why isn't it downloaded yet?"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

Add House Hunters Intenational to cover the Week 4 scenario.
:wtc:144 Seasons :psypop:

:dadjoke:Gross!:dadjoke:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I did this and haven’t looked back. My only other alternative in the area gives me 50/50 or 100/100, no dat cap. It was an easy choice.
and here I am suffering with 1.8/18 vdsl because I am too stubborn to give comcast any money.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, so far plex's poor subtitle support has been my main complaint about the program. Given that I have a large amount of anime, that does present a problem. I was thinking of trying emby out as an alternative, though I don't know much about it. I see that it also has a roku channel and synology NAS support.
How hard can it be to implement client side subtitle support?

I honestly don't know. I don't program anything more complex than Arduino stuff.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I could use some insight as to why I am getting terrible smb speeds between my laptop and unraid system. Right now transfers of large files over smb are going at about 10Mbit, but if I transfer the same file with ftp it saturates the wireless network at 300Mbit.

I don't think I have any system scan shenanigans going on because cpu usage is remaining low on both ends.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Can any of you help me figure out my DNS problem with Unraid without putting a manual host entry on every device I try to manage it from?

Right now I try to navigate to the web UI at 192.168.1.5*, but it immediately forwards me to tower.local which refuses to resolve. Right now my router DHCP hands out the lancache docker as primary DNS and the router itself as secondary DNS.

*not the actual IP I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

step 1: doing DNS that does two separate things is unlikely to work properly. (you'll be likely to get things that don't hit the cache because DNS primary/secondary doesn't work the way you think it does)

my guess is your lancache docker is being dumb and is aggressively trying to resolve things (including *.local) and doesn't know about unraid
I think I figured out what is going on: I learned that *.LOCAL is resolved via multicast. I suspect my router is blocking multicast between the wired and wireless devices. So on that note, is there an option to make unraid not force you to not use the IP in the web ui?