Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trying to build an 8-bay NAS as an alternative to the Synology model...anyone know of a good motherboard / SATA controller combo option that comes to 8 SATA ports, under $100? Unless I'm missing something here (likely,) things seem to get a little more dicey in terms of price competitiveness with premade units when you're dealing with more than 6 ports. Obviously ECC RAM support would also be needed. No preference in terms of socket type. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

The Silverstone DS380 can fit the E3C224D4I-14S, according to this post. Add in a Xeon E3-1230L and the appropriate amount of memory for your zpool, that should give you a hotpluggable 8-bay NAS on a proper LSI controller.
Would this one work? It's a little cheaper and also has an LSI controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131719

Also, the Xeon E3-1230L is pretty expensive, would I be OK with an i3 (or a Pentium, even?)

I notice that the DS1813+ only comes with 2GB RAM, although other sources online are suggesting I need 1GB per TB. Do I really need 32GB of ECC RAM if I'm planning to eventually upgrade to 32TB total? This is for backup purposes, not production, so it doesn't need to be whip-fast.

Again, sorry for being a giant noob.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 14, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If I turn off de-dupe I should be fine with 16gb though, right?

Here's my proposed build for FreeNAS / ZFS:

Fractal Design R4
Rosewill CAPSTONE-550 PSU
ASUS P8B-C/SAS/4L
Core i3-3240
Kingston 16GB ECC (KVR16LR11D4/16I)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 14, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I haven't purchased it yet, no. Maybe I should just get a Supermicro board instead, or some mini-ITX and RAID card combo. Would love any suggestions on those.

Like this maybe?

Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-804-BL
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Core i3-3240
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Unbuffered CT2KIT102472BD160B
Rosewill CAPSTONE-550

We might just start out by filling up the 6 SATA ports on the motherboard, and when we need another two drives, slap in a PCI RAID add-in card as well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 14, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is a sweet deal, but this is for a small business and I'm not doing the purchasing. I'll float it anyway though, thanks for the link. If I were building this for myself I'd jump all over that.

What are the benefits of the X10 vs. X9? I note that the X10SLM is also an 1150 board so I'd have to choose a different proc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those announced a while ago?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-804-BL
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Core i3-3240
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Unbuffered CT2KIT102472BD160B
Rosewill CAPSTONE-550
I'm about to pull the trigger on this FreeNAS build, is there any reason I'd need a drop-in PCI SATA or RAID card if the mobo has enough SATA ports for the number of drives I'm using?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel like the answer to this should be really obvious and staring me in the face, but I can't figure it out.

I've set up a new, larger FreeNAS box and am trying to migrate our data away from an HP N40L, also running FreeNAS. I tried using rsync over ssh but got read/write errors on every transfer. Isn't there some easy way to do this?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't think its a server hardware issue, I can access the files just fine through Finder. I would prefer a solution that doesn't involve pulling the drives as I am a FreeNAS noob and this data is mission-critical.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why does GEOM_ELI show "Encryption: AES-XTS 256, Crypto: software" when I create a new volume, despite specifically NOT checking the encryption box?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Current release.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Someone in the office backed up their drive to our NAS right as it was dying, and it has several broken / corrupt files (mod date of 1984.) I'm trying to rsync that folder but it chokes up on those every time. What's the best approach to fix the directory so it can be rsynced while preserving the data that's there?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

infinite99 posted:

What's the best way to transfer files between my old NAS and FreeNAS? FreeNAS is running in a VM and the old NAS is a physical box running Amahi Server. I think there's about 4 or 5 TB worth of stuff to move over.

Would FTP be the fastest?
rsync is what I am currently running for this, with the -Pavvz --timeout=60 -e ssh flags.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If Amazon reviews are any indication, the available NAS drives are poo poo. Supposedly the HGST one is loud, hot, and has bad QA issues, and the WD Red lives up to its name by literally catching on fire. I know that Seagate drives are bad and unreliable. What should I be buying?

I'm also considering a Synology DS216j (or the one bay unit.) Any good? Will it power down the drives when not in use? This is going to hold movies so the data is only gonna get accessed on it a few times a week at most.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If I can pick between the drive that has a 3 in 4,000 chance of catching on fire and burning down the house, and the one that doesn't, I think I am going to go with Option 2.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I want to access my Synology DiskStation remotely but to do so as securely as possible: I understand a lot of these units are getting turned into Bitcoin farms these days, or just an easy way for whomever to get access to my network. What is the best way to accomplish this; using it as a VPN server perhaps? I don't trust Synology's quick-connect thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

G-Prime posted:

In case anybody missed it, Best Buy has the extremely shuckable 8TB WD EasyStore drives on sale right now for an absurdly low price ($159, lowest I've ever seen for them). They contain a single Red, and people claim they can be RMA'd without the case. I snagged 8, and am currently firing off SMART tests on them. Holy poo poo they're loud in the external cases.
Thank you so much for the heads up about this. I went out and bought one, shucked it and indeed it is an 8TB WD Red.

Mine is a WD80EFAX. Anyone know the distinction between this, the EFRX, and the EFZX?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So whats the best way to copy all the data on the existing drive in my DS216j to the new drive? I tried rsync but it's only running at 4 mbps or so. Should I use CP? I'm wary of using the DSM File Station app.

e: I should probably clarify that both drives are mounted in the same device.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 29, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

So, I got my hands on some RAM and upgraded my home PowerEdge R710 and maxxed out the RAM.

Then, boot2docker went nuts on my FreeNAS/FreeBSD install and messed up the networking, had to fix that.

*extremely zefram cochrane voice* sweet jesus

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

I do this - I have a media server with my Synology shares automounted over nfs, and it does all the heavy lifting of transcoding via Plex

caberham posted:

Even if I get a synology can I get another device just for transcoding Movies?

Internet Explorer posted:

Synology NAS with a Shield TV for a Plex server and client.

I'm the worst IT guy.
Or just use an Apple TV with Infuse, which doesn't transcode, and you're golden (assuming you have 802.11ac.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Those 8TB WD easystores that have Reds inside are back at $159 at Best Buy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just got my 5th of these. Buy buy buy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Every one of these I've shucked has had a red-labeled EFAX inside.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I've got 2 out of 3 being the white labeled drives.
e: This guide from reddit is super helpful and has ways to determine what the drive is before you shuck: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 8, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just got two more NESN, both EFAX.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shuck an Easystore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So my Synology units are only getting accessed for a couple hours 2 or 3 times a week. The rest of the time I'd like to have the drives spun down and the units consuming a minimum in power, mostly for wear and tear reasons. I tried the "advanced HDD hibernation" mode, but it takes ~20 seconds to start up and respond when you try to access them – fine for me but not for family who will get errors when they try to access content. Whats the best way to minimize wear and tear / power use while still having the units be responsive?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

What is erroring out so quickly? Ours is mounted video NFS for plex, afp on macs, and smb on windows all the time and nothing errors out. It just stalls while the disks spin up.
Infuse was having some issues but I think it was fixed in a newer update actually – just stalls out for a bit like you said.

SamDabbers posted:

Having the drives spin down and up causes more wear and tear than spinning continuously. Unless the power use or heat is unacceptable you're better off disabling spindown.
Interesting, can you cite anything to support this? It's hard to believe that having no power or anything running to the drives for all but ~4 hours a week is worse than having them run 24/7.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm about to finish filling up 32TB of storage on my Synology DS418j, and all the bays are in use. Piiiisss.

Is there any disadvantage to expanding it by hooking up another Easystore to the USB port, versus the performance/longevity I'd get by using it internally?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just went and bought another easystore, this time for USB use with my synology unit. Just out of curiosity, I checked what kind of drive it was with DriveDX...EFAX, again! I seem to win the drive lottery every time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Currently I remotely access my Synology DS418j via ssh by having it operate as a VPN server. I'd like to have it connect to the internet using a VPN service (like NordVPN!) while still retaining my ability to ssh in. If I use a service that offers a static IP, will I be able to connect to the Synology's VPN server by pointing tunnelblick at the IP NordVPN (or whatever) gives me for the VPN service the unit is connected to to access the Internet? Is this a stupid and unsafe idea, and am I a total bumfuck idiot missing a much simpler solution?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for this info. SSH tunnel is good, but what I really need is for all of the Synology unit's traffic to run through the VPS/VPN (specifically Transmission but there's no way to specify what programs use VPN or not.) I was going to use the transmission+openvpn in Docker container, but turns out the DS418j uses some weird Realtek SoC and there's no build of Docker for it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Right but my understanding is that this would just run ssh through the VPS, not all of the other apps the synology unit is running. I do use SSH, but I need the rest of the synology unit to also run through a VPS/VPN. That can be accomplished easily via the GUI. The question is once I've done that, can I still connect to the VPN server on the synology by remotely connecting to the VPN server the synology is a client of via its static IP.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know I sound like a shill or broken record but seriously, if you’re streaming over a LAN and want direct play Infuse is the fuckin way to go.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DrDork posted:

WD Reds are pretty much standard, yeah. If you want to get fancy, you can shuck the drives out of the EasyStore USB drives--they're almost always either straight up Reds, or Reds rebadged as white labels. You can get them for much cheaper that way, though you need to save the casings in case you ever need to RMA them.
I remember there were some reports of people successfully RMAing the bare drive.

Anyway I’ve now shucked 8 of these and highly recommend it! Somehow I got EFAX drives every time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Easystores are $129 :toot:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The EMAZ drives have been shown to have some issues with older backplanes, there's some more info in this Reddit post. There are a few ways to tell what drive you've got before you shuck it, or even before you open the box in some cases.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

WD Elements 8TB are even cheaper and are usually HGST DC320s.
From reading posts on the computer Internet, supposedly the "DC320s" in these are actually slowed to 5200rpm, and so are functionally equivalent to the EFAX/EMAZ drives – but these are air filled where the EFAX/EMAZ drives are helium. I guess?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Having an issue with my DS216j. The upstream over LAN seems to be dropping in speed every so often – enough that 4K MKV files are buffering, but not 1080p MKVs. I can watch this happening in DSM. My other Synology NAS isn't having any issues. The drives both pass SMART and I seem to be having the problem on both of them. Any ideas as to what I should check for next?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

How many drives do you have again if all 13 internal bays are full but the majority are still external USBs? I think at this point a therapist is the cheapest option.
Serious Hardware / Software Crap > NAS/Storage thread: I think at this point a therapist is the cheapest option.