Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Whitebox a Freenas setup from here. Pick up some 8 TB easystore HDDs from best buy when they're on sale and laugh your way to the bank.

Making sure I understand this right, by white box I basically build a real cheap computer that I put NAS software stuff on vs buying a NAS bay enclosure which does everything for me?

I'm basically in the same situation, I have several external HDD's where I just want to collect everything into a central storage and back it up with RAID5/6. The data totals to about 8 TB with some duplicates but I figure when I migrate over by organizing and categorizing I'll handle the duplicates.

Is building/buying a NAS right for me? and how does PLEX figure into this would it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Paul MaudDib posted:

White-box just means "roll your own' basically, something you build yourself vs something that comes pre-assembled. Buying something like a ThinkServer and configuring it for NAS usage also falls into the white-box category.

It's up to you whether to buy or build. You'll pay a premium for something that's plug-and-play (or settle for less performance/expandability at a given price point). But you won't have to deal with fiddling around with poo poo either. I find fiddling around with computers to be fun, so :shrug:

PLEX is software that runs on your NAS. You can serve pre-rendered files on very minimal hardware but if you intend to do transcoding you will either need pretty beefy hardware, which gets expensive with the prebuilts (eg one of the Synology models with a + on the end).

This is the build I'm piecing together. I bought 8x8 TB EasyStore drives for it, and I have the SSD sitting around. The RAM is a placeholder, I found another option for I think $375 for 32 GB. Cooler is optional, you can use the stock cooler if you want (it's just noisy). You may want some 120mm fans to cool the drives too.

It would help to know how many drives you're looking for, and what form-factor you're looking for (tower, synology-lookalike, etc).

I think I would be aiming for 4x 8 for a drive storage of 32 TB. That should give me enough drives and space for "future proofing" and for using some sort of RAID. Form factor, I think synology lookalike size would be ideal but I might be open to a mini tower.

What kind of RAID should I be looking at rolling to keep most of my data safe?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you're technically inclined, and have a decent understanding of how to turn a pile of boxes into a usable computer, then you can save some substantial money doing it yourself vs. buying a similar system with the features you want from a vendor. If you want something that works out of the box, and has a support number to call vs. spelunking through forums for answers, then it might not be the best choice. It's all about cost vs. time vs. features vs. support.

Ah just checking that getting a NAS is right for me in my situation. Basically centralizing my mix of 1,2,4, and 8 TB drives I have an External HDD being a crashplan local backup, but I think I can hear it clicking or making odd noises so I'm basically retiring it until I buy a new HDD or set up a NAS.

Thanks for the explanation and info links!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well just pulled the trigger on a 4 bay QNAP TS431P and a WD Red 8TB disk.

I think I'm going to set up raid a raid level when I buy the other 3 disks to complete the set.

Question: Can I start storing stuff on the disk right now, and then when I buy the newer disks set up a RAID Array, copy data over to the RAID Array and then format and add the old drive to the array?

Or basically keep in mind that I need to keep a backup and just redo the whole disk Raid array when I have all 4.

EDIT: The term i was looking for was RAID Migration. For QNAP this article explains how to expand the drive sizes and RAID.

Still need to keep a back up but from first blush, I can expand and upgrade from a single drive to 4 drives and install RAID at the same time. Would probably be an all day process though as you need to install each drive slowly as it builds up the RAID Array.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 21, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
at least 2 bays would be nice so its somewhat up-gradable too, a one bay NAS to me is no different from a single external hard drive.