Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Need an NAS recommendation. Only need a two bay system to run RAID 1. Don't have a ton of stuff to store at this time. Would just like to get my media off of my personal computers and have it saved in a secure place without the risk of data loss. 4TB should be more than enough for the time. I also need to be able to stream from the NAS.

I grabbed a DS720+ earlier this year and it has been really good for that same purpose. Mostly because it worked for plex hardware transcoding. Last I knew, most of the play series only do hardware transcoding in the synology apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The 720 worth the extra for the upgraded CPU over the 220? I doubt I'd use the eSATA upgrade port. Probably if that time came way down the road....I'd buy an entirely new NAS. Maybe the SSD cache is worth the increase? I mean...it's only $100 more.

I ordered the 220 first and then my wife talked me into just getting the 720+ since it would have a longer useful life. It was the difference between being able to transcode or use direct stream only in plex. It's also nice having the features of btrfs like snapshots.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
IMO the choice between raid 5 and 6 has more to do with the size of the disks than the number of them. For example a 14TB drive takes a really long time to rebuild and it's a lot of constant thrashing for a 2nd drive on the verge of failure to tolerate.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Moey posted:

I thought all 3tb drives were ticking time bombs?

Anecdotally, I have a 3TB HGST NAS Drive which has been in 24/7 use for about 6 years with zero reported bad sectors.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Same here, my 3TB HGST HDN724030ALE640 has been flawless.

Yep, exact same drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

For those that accept it, does Synology really care what m.2 drive you stick in there? I know they sell their own.

It doesn't but it is only supposed to be for caching so a high endurance one is best.