Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So, I have a couple of questions if you can give me your opinion:

I have one of these lying around:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/437776/kingwin-superspeed-usb-30-dual-bay-sata-drive-docking-station
It's old, but it has some dip switches on the back that I think can put it into RAID 1 (mirroring for redundancy, right?)

I also live next to Costco which has these on sale:
Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services
$139.99 each
https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

And I have a laptop running linux that has USB 3.0.

I really don't care that much about speed, and 8TB is a lot of space for us. So, my plan is to just buy two of the seagate drives above, "shuck" the drives out, put them in the dual bay thing... set it to mirror the drives, and hook it up to the laptop to share out to the network using NFS and SAMBA...

Does that plan make sense? anything glaringly dumb about it? Are the prices on those drives ok?

I just want to have some storage to back things (data and VM's) up locally to, netboot some raspberry pi's, that sort of thing. If I started downloading lots of 4k linux iso's, could I stream them? Transcoding shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks very much... I learn a lot from this thread. I'm not really too interested in the features of a Synology/Qnap device because I already have like 5 raspberry pi's sitting around and a laptop, so I should be able to make this work, hopefully lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I posted before but I think it got lost on the bottom of the page :)

Abridged version:
Is RAID1 just a term for writing the exact same thing to two drives simultaneously? Like, if one of the drives in a RAID1 setup fails, can you plug the single drive left into a non-RAID controller and have it work? or do you HAVE to replace the drive and rebuild the "array"?

Also, are these drives any good at this price?

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services
$139.99 each
https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

lampey posted:

It depends on the specific software you are using. In some cases the drive is encrypted or otherwise not able to be accessed separately, outside of the appliance. But generally yes the data is mirrored and everything works fine if one drive is gone.

These are very likely SMR drives. This is fine for many uses, anything storing large files generally would be fine for any raid 1 setup. But if you write more than ~40gb at once the write speeds will drop, this can turn a 10 hour rebuild of a larger raid into a 48+ hour rebuild, not generally an issue for raid 1 though. The drive can't write modify files without reading and rewriting adjacent data. Specifically this is a problem with ZFS with larger arrays.

For $3 more you can get regular CMR drives from WD on Amazon. https://diskprices.com/

This is exactly why I asked here... thanks so much. I’ll wait and grab some CMR WD drives as recommended.

Will it be in the product description?

Thx again

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Question: I have a 8TB usb drive (WD Elements if it matters) that has 3 partitions I've created:
2 are vfat and one (1-nixdata) is ext4. The fstab entries are this:

/dev/sdb2 /mnt/nfs_shares/1-fatdata auto rw,user,umask=0000,exec,nofail 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /mnt/nfs_shares/1-nixdata auto rw,user,exec,nofail 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/nfs_shares/1-backup auto rw,umask=0000,user,exec,nofail 0 0

I had the power go off and when it came back, I got a lot of complaining about possible errors. Thankfully, I ran a check/repair and all was good... nothing lost.

But I was wondering, if I really don't care too much about performance, is there something else I should be setting here? Like an option that turns off write-caching or something? It's connected via USB3 to an older laptop running CentOS8

Thanks!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Hey thread!

So my partner and I bought a new camera and it's caused our storage usage to go up tremendously. I'm not sure I'm going to want to do a NAS, but maybe sometime in the future. Hoping you can help out with some quick answers?

I have an 8TB WD elements I bought a while ago. Being dumb, I partitioned it into 3 partitions: 1 = ext4 and the other two are exFAT (or vFAT?). I've got it hooked up through USB3 to an old laptop I use as a ghetto home server. Guess who installed CentOS8 right before it was killed off? This guy... It's on my todo list to move to another distro.

Anyway, all of these partitions are shared out using Samba so windows/macs can see it easily.

Here are my questions:

1) I can't seem to copy files larger than 4GB or so to the two exFAT Samba shares. I can just fine to the ext4 share. Is this a limitation of exFAT over samba? or did I misconfigure it somehow?
2) What's the best FileSystem to use if I want to be able to hook the drive up to linux/windows/mac either over the network AND occasionally locally via USB. NTFS? I'd normally think exFAT, but the above networkshare issue is freaking me out.
3) We're planning to get a 14TB WD Elements from MicroCenter this week since we're running out of space. Should I partition at all? or just one huge one using the FS above? does it matter? I feel like I messed up the partitioning on our 8TB drive. I'm using old habits from back in the day since I haven't had to deal with drives/storage in a while. I'd like to learn and not repeat the same mistakes.
4) I'm currently backing up (disaster recovery) to Azure, but want to move to something else... any recommendations?

Finally, I'm sure this isn't the thread for it, but here goes:
5) Knowing that phones/cameras aren't doing much processing on movies to optimize them. what's the lossless codec people use to encode their footage nowadays? Encoding time isn't that important right now, but with the new camera, I recognize that saving raw 4k files is a losing game.

Hope this isn't too ramble-y. I try to stay up to date with this thread, but have like 1000 unread posts and can't afford the time to catch up right now.

Thanks so much!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

Centos does not have exFAT support out of the box, from a superficial googling, you would have to have intentionally enabled it. If you're slightly uncertain about what filesystem you actually used, it seems entirely more likely that you formatted the partitions as FAT32 instead, which does indeed have a hard 4GB file size limit. ExFAT does not have this limitation and is currently what I see being recommended for maximum interoperability with most modern operating systems if you need to connect the drive through usb.

I would not bother partitioning a new drive. I'm not clear on why you'd do it in the first place. If it's just organizational, folders are much easier to deal with if you don't get things right from the start. All the free space is dynamically available for whatever needs it.

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I must have totally misremembered and messed that up hard when I set up the ghetto server and 8TB drive. How embarrassing… I used to know this stuff.

Either way, looks like I’ll be looking for a Linux distro that supports exFAT and samba so I can reinstall ghetto server a lot sooner than I thought.

Thx again

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That’s fair, I had looked at doing that when the change happened, but felt like stream would cause me to have to touch it more often. I have bad luck with Linux kernel updates, but maybe I should consider it again.
I remember when I was looking that a new Distro called Rocky was going to take up the space left by CentOS LTS. Did that ever gain traction? Is anyone using it?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I was using Debian/Ubuntu mostly before I switched to CentOS for this machine. I figured it was more enterprisey and stable (lol). Literally a month after I got everything installed and set up including cockpit, podman, ssl certs, etc; all of that crap went down and I knew I’d be switching at some point lol

Is Ubuntu still pushing snap in a big way? Any recommendations for cockpit-like remote management UIs and container runtimes and such?

Sorry if this is too off-topic. I’ll take it to another thread if it is

Vvvvvvv thx! I’ll try that if I can’t find anything else. I really liked cockpit

namlosh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Saukkis posted:

If you want enterprise there's always the option of getting a developer account and use RHEL.

I actually did this and put it on some VMs… something I didn’t, but maybe should have realized is that the licenses need to be renewed every year. Doesn’t take too long but it was annoying