Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NihilCredo posted:

Well I don't need a lot of storage but I do need more than that.

If I'm going to go with unreliable storage + backups, external 2.5 HDDs beat thumb drives in everything but noise and size (neither is a particular concern). I have decided to go with that, in fact, so I just bought another Maxtor 4TB drive. I will mitigate the 'it takes a week to restore from the cloud' problem by adding a thumb drive to back up the docker-compose + Caddyfile and some smaller paths like the Bitwarden database.

If you're going with unreliable storage, you could do worse than an RPi + one of those USB 3 to SATA doodads? The cheapo ones can power SSDs, you'll need an external power supply for anything that spins, because I don't think any flavor of RPi has USB-PD yet.

edit: Oh right, I came into this thread for a reason. Looking for a stopgap measure until 10 Gbit comes down in price more, what's a good cheapo option that I haven't thought of because the above is what I'm using now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrDork posted:

How cheap are you looking? You can get 10Gb fiber cards for <$30 any day on eBay, SFP+'s for $5, and a 4-port switch for $130. And LC-LC cables are dirt cheap, too.

"comes standard on the next motherboard I buy when I build a new system" cheap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Do we have any opinion on QNAP? I'm looking at their 2020 product stack and edging towards them over Synology.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

rufius posted:

I really like my little TVS-471. I would definitely buy another QNAP. Had bad exp with Synology previously so I’m wary to try them again.

If i strayed from QNAP, it’d be to a FreeNAS device.

Also QNAP seem to be the only ones pushing 2.5/5 gigabit interfaces on their NASes, or have the provisions to upgrade with the built-in PCIe slot, which appeals to my sense of futureproofing.

Which makes it all the more bizarre to me the other NAS oems aren't doing the same, considering that the extra cost over gigabit is like... a banana.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 2, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

I had found basically the perfect PSU for my little server build, a 300W Seasonic with a quiet fan and it was 80 PLUS Gold rated. Now apparently it's completely out of stock, as in not even visible on the site anymore. It's still on my order specification, but I don't have high hopes :(

Finding a decent PSU that's both affordable, quiet and efficient is drat hard when you don't need some 800+W lump.

I feel that you may be mistaken about how power supplies work.

Power supplies are not a pump that is blasting the maximum wattage the entire time, devices only pull as much power as they need. The 300W mark is a hard cap on what your devices can pull. Your power supply could be a theoretical 800W SFX, and still be perfectly quiet and 80+ Gold.

That said, If it's genuinely the form factor you're looking for, I think Seasonic has moved all their non-L SFX power supplies to the industrial line. Otherwise I think your alternative is Silverstone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 10, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've got a copper SFP ready to go.

edit: wait, poo poo, gently caress. I forgot, Edgerouters only have 1GB SFP unless you fork over two grand.

edit edit: ....poo poo, the EdgeMAX line is on the chopping block next, innit?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
General, broad-usage-case wifi? Yes, gently caress that poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Charles posted:

FYI, there's a QNAP 4-bay enclosure on sale on B&H for the next 23 hours or so, $440
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1402133-REG/qnap_ts_453be_4g_us_ts_453be_4_bay_professional_nas.html

Don't those Celerons also have issues?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Takes No Damage posted:

Not A Backup

Maybe more of a general FreeNAS question: Does it matter what pool your jails live on? I just got done putting in a new 8-drive pool, but Iocage is 'installed' on the initial old 3-drive pool. I was looking into the process of migrating all of them over, but is there any benefit to doing so? Any kind of performance or stability issues with jails living on poolA and reading/writing all their data on poolB?

Can't knock over a rackmount device if it's a 1U case sitting on the ground!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure. Except for the part where it's FOURTEEN HUNDRED CLAMS.

Sub Rosa posted:

Hey so when should I not even give a poo poo about ECC ram in a consumer grade NAS and when I should I?

If you have to ask, it's not important. Because if it was important to you, you wouldn't be asking.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 7, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

brains posted:

i have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XGKZMKF

works decently on a raspberry pi in a similar setup. it's small and thin so i just tuck it away on a shelf when i don't need it.

You mean to tell me that a no-name chinese brand sells wireless keyboards that default to F-keys instead of fixed media functions without needing to install any kind of stupid system-side software.... something Logitech stupidly refuses to do on any of their poo poo?

Sweet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You know, it used to be that I wouldn't ever touch a Seagate drive, having had a number of them die in very short order, circa.... I want to say, 2005ish. I used almost exclusive Maxtors, and then WDs when Maxtor got bought out, but now? Man, WD is starting to give me a reason to reconsider the Seagate fatwa.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sharkytm posted:

They know they've got the market cornered, so they're just loving everyone over and thinking it won't cost them market-share. Short-term gains over long-term brand loyalty, I guess.

Maybe this is the push I need to go entirely flash.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone know of a NAS that might only use like, a pair or trio of 2.5" drives? Trying to fit everything into a 4-inch-wide wallbox is harder than I thought it would be.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

I find this faintly amusing, seeing as far as I know, there's nothing better for the price. I remember being quoted for wifi in a school building, and all the quotes were sky high (and some with centralised controllers, or "cloud" dependencies) compared to just buying some unifi gear, with clear prices on each piece upfront

Wendell over at Level 1 has been exploring Engenius products as an alternative. I say, if a guy like him is willing to install it into his house over Ubiquiti, it's probably got something going for it. Looking over pricing, they seem comparable.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SCheeseman posted:

What other brands in the same price range are usable or provide all their features without the need for usage of cloud services? Not rhetorical I actually want to know this.

Hikvision is unbeatable in terms of hardware, but they are heavily subsidized by the Chinese government, and their firmware is an absolute black box, with a bootloader that's got more obscured spaghetti code in it than there is actual spaghetti in the entire Asian continent. Security types and crazy people like me view that with a great deal of suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jesus, it's like those hung pirates that you sail past as you make your way into port.