Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande
Ive enjoyed using NFSv3 over samba for mounting my storage drives over Gig-E. Does anyone have some tips for tweaking nfs and smb access?

My current setup is about 5 drives concatencated through LVM for a total of about 800 GB. (which now feels very outmoded, since geeks.com is having a sale of 750 Barracudas for 124$) Nothing special really. I havent bothered with any sort of mirroring or striping since most of the drives are different sizes.

What i'd really like is some way of keeping track of all the random things i burn to DVD. IE, some sort of virtual filesystem that remembers all of the files I've burned and deleted, and which disc I put it on. Anything like that floating around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande

Mr. Heavy posted:

Just so you're aware, if you lose the drive that your FS's inode table is on, all of the data on the other drives is effectively orphaned, regardless of whether the files themselves are contiguous or not. As above, it's no worse than losing a single 750GB drive, but it still sucks.

On a similar note, I believe the inode table (or whatever NTFS uses) has gone bad on my laptop's windows partition. Linux can't mount it, as ntfs or ntfs-3g. I cant seem to run chkdsk through dosbox either. Kind of a conundrum. I'm preparing to install XP on another partition just so I can run chkdsk on the first partition.

Any tips for recovery?