Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

plastickiwi posted:

I doubt this will be of any use to you, but steer clear of the LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini if you're looking for a small desktop NAS.

I was looking at one of those but ended up getting a SansDigital MobilNAS box instead - does pretty much the same thing except I dunno about the Xbox 360/PS3 support. I got it for $150 at Frys with no drives.

http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilenas/mn2l.html

It works really well, the interface is a little bare-bones, but it does the job - some sort of microlinux using the 2.6 kernel. It also doubles as a network print server if you don't hook need to external storage into it, so that was a big plus for me. I can get 8Mb/sec out of it over 100 ethernet, it's supposed to do a little better if you have gigabyte hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I just built a WHS box out of an old slimine Sony Vaio that I bought at a yard sale and wanna sell my little aluminum two-bay NAS unit - can I pimp my SA-mart thread here?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144867

I looked through the SH/SC rules and didn't see any prohibitions against it, but I'll nuke this immediately if it's frowned on.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

EVIL Gibson posted:

It no longer exists but Windows Home Server was great. It let you do exactly that. Still finding 500-750g drives of that server where you can just put it into a HDD dock and find remnants of 2006 internet.

I’m still using that as my NAS, a 500gb WD Black (that’s probably old enough to drive) and 14 2TB ex-datacenter drives hooked to a Core 2 Quad via eSATA. I’m sure the electricity use is horrible, but It_just_keeps_working.

I really need to build something else.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Inept posted:

Windows Home Server hasn't gotten security updates in over 5 years, you might want to move to something newer.

I know, I’m being ‘that guy’ who runs outdated poo poo that doesn’t get security updates.

I’m thinking of just going to Win10 Pro with Stablebit Drivepool(which I already own) on an old Ivy Bridge mobo I have laying around, that way I can get rid of these small drives one by one over time without buying anything else.

/\/\/ I’ll check that out, that’s exactly what I’m after\/\/\/

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2021